PDA

View Full Version : How do you know if your hair is dry?

paanduuh
08-24-2010, 03:37 AM
Hey everyone! I've been lurking around the forum for about a year now. I recently BC'ed last Tuesday after transitioning for almost 11 months. So far I've been doing wash and go's (mostly because I haven't had the time or expertise to try anything else lol). My regimen has been co-wash and condition every morning with Aussie Moist conditioner then using Fekkai Curl Creme on wet hair to define my curls.

My question is how do I know if my hair is dry or not? It sounds kinda silly but when my hair was permed I could just look at my hair and tell that it was dry because it felt crunchy and brittle. But now that I'm all natural I don't know if this is how my hair is supposed to feel/look or if it needs more moisture. It doesn't feel like a brillo pad, but it is kinda frizzy.

You can see a picture of my newly natural hair in my profile picture. And if you wanna see more just let me know (and tell me how to do it! :D)

P.S. Does anyone know of another curl enhancing leave-in I can use? I was using the Fekkai one that my mom had in her cupboard for ages but after a week of use it's half-way done and I just found out today that it's $20 bucks for another one! Any other suggestions? $10 or less, 4 oz or more.

OHR
08-24-2010, 04:49 AM
^^^there are many threads on just this topic. For example: type in "dry hair transition" or "bc dry hair" in the Search function. I'm sure you'll find what you need!

You've just BC'd recently, right? You can still have effects of your relaxer for quite awhile...try and be patient...hang in there.

Kathleen1
08-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Hey everyone! I've been lurking around the forum for about a year now. I recently BC'ed last Tuesday after transitioning for almost 11 months. So far I've been doing wash and go's (mostly because I haven't had the time or expertise to try anything else lol). My regimen has been co-wash and condition every morning with Aussie Moist conditioner then using Fekkai Curl Creme on wet hair to define my curls.

My question is how do I know if my hair is dry or not? It sounds kinda silly but when my hair was permed I could just look at my hair and tell that it was dry because it felt crunchy and brittle. But now that I'm all natural I don't know if this is how my hair is supposed to feel/look or if it needs more moisture. It doesn't feel like a brillo pad, but it is kinda frizzy.

You can see a picture of my newly natural hair in my profile picture. And if you wanna see more just let me know (and tell me how to do it! :D)

P.S. Does anyone know of another curl enhancing leave-in I can use? I was using the Fekkai one that my mom had in her cupboard for ages but after a week of use it's half-way done and I just found out today that it's $20 bucks for another one! Any other suggestions? $10 or less, 4 oz or more.

uhhhh...u touch it n it feels like straw?
duh?{o

Discodumpling
08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
If it goes snap crackle pop it's dry. In the beginning phases of nappturality you need to drench your hair with moisture IMO.

coilycurly
08-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Do you shampoo at all? I'm pretty sure that Fekkai curl creme has silicones in it. You may be heading for buildup city, as just co-washing isn't removing the leave-in. Silicone buildup is like wrapping your strands in waterproof wrap, so they can be starved of moisture.

If you like the Fekkai, rotate in a shampoo once in a while. Or, shampoo now and switch to cone-free, oil-free products.

Try leaving in the Aussie Moist. That way you will get a sense of different moisture levels for your hair, depending on what you leave in. Don't be afraid to use a generous amount. Heck, that's why I have switched to the more natural drug store conditioners as a leave in, so I don't have to be stingy.

Yoshi3329
08-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Your hair if dry, feel like straw. You hair should feel like soft cotton or for me, satiny. Your hair shouldn't chip off every time you touch it. When My hair start to chip off it's time for moisture and light protein. Dry hair also makes my hair very hard to comb.

I also use Aussie Moist conditioner, It's great as a leave-in. Yes, it does have oodles of cones so I suggest that you clarify monthly.

keish1
08-24-2010, 01:39 PM
My favorite line of shampoo/conditioner right now is Giovanni. You can get them at Target or a drug store and they are around $7-8 per bottle. The conditioners and leave-ins are wonderful and the shampoos are great too. I only use the shampoo once a week or so, but they do get any build up out.
Also, try sealing in moisture with a natural oil after applying your leave in. That has helped me with moisture.

paanduuh
08-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll try using the Aussie as a leave-in, never thought of that! Should I dilute it at all or add anything to it?

NeverGiveup
08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I've got some better questions for you to consider--easier to determine and more important to avoid.

1. Is your hair brittle and breaking off?

2. Does your hair look duller than you know you can expect it to look?

napturallyme625
08-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the help! I'll try using the Aussie as a leave-in, never thought of that! Should I dilute it at all or add anything to it?

I like to add a SMALL amount of EVOO, castor oil, and aleo vera juice (just like kimmaytube's leave in) to my conditioner. If your hair feels crunchy or hard, you may be using too many protein products. I've learned to READ EVERY LABEL of ANY product I pick up.

FroOlogist
08-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I use Cantu Shea Butter Leave in and it's absolutely wonderful. My hair is never dry during the day. The texture of your hair, from the pic, looks like mine and may work for you. As a co-wash, I use Pantene for curly hair/dry to moisturized. It's the bomb!!!!

guyton
08-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks to this post, I have a better understanding of what to look for.

Though I will state that even after I've added moisturizer, co-wash, and leave-in with moisturizing elements...my hair still feels dry. I wonder if I'm just not used to what natural hair that is not dry feels like. I keep assuming it's supposed to feel fluff and soft yet it still feels a bit dry in texture.

Ms-gg
08-28-2010, 04:06 AM
you live in Flawda. Try curl activators or a homemade spritz of 75% water, 25% or less of glycerin. Two other good products are Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifiyer Spray and StaSof Fro spray.

Try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner too...good stuff.

coilycurly
08-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks to this post, I have a better understanding of what to look for.

Though I will state that even after I've added moisturizer, co-wash, and leave-in with moisturizing elements...my hair still feels dry. I wonder if I'm just not used to what natural hair that is not dry feels like. I keep assuming it's supposed to feel fluff and soft yet it still feels a bit dry in texture.

The snap test is a good indicator of where you are with your moisture/protein balance. If the snap test tells you you are good, then you can now learn what your moisturized hair feels like. This test should be done on clean, dry hair (no product).

For black people, it is common to confuse moisturised hair with greasy/producty hair. It is one of the reasons people will load up on oils, pomades, butters etc and re-apply daily. Your hair does not have to feel producty to be moisturised, and it is possible to have producty hair that is dry as all heck underneath all of that.

Yoshi3329
08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
^^^Good idea, forgot about the snap test, here you go OP (and everyone else):

If your hair:

(When Wet or Dry) Stretches slightly and returns to its original length without breaking, you are balanced! Stick with maintaining!

(When Wet or Dry) Stretches a little more than normal then breaks, you need more protein in your regimen.

(When Wet or Dry)Stretches, stretches, stretches with no significant breakage yet, add a bit more protein to your regimen.

(Wet)- Feels weak, gummy, mushy, or limp, you need to add more protein to your regimen.

(Wet or Dry) Experiences very little to no stretching, and simply snaps or breaks, you need to increase the moisture in your regimen.

(Dry) Feels rough, tough, hard, dry, tangly, brittle, or any combination of those, you need more moisture in your regimen.

Cinnamon7778
09-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Hi Disco Dummpling,
I was just notiving how beautiful your hair looks. I wrote to you before and you told me about Fr. Hays Formula. Are you still using Dr. Hays Formula? If not what are you using now? Your hair is gorgeous. I'm asking because my hair is now forming little hairballs and shedding after two twisting or braiiding. Please help!

Cinnamon7778
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
If it goes snap crackle pop it's dry. In the beginning phases of nappturality you need to drench your hair with moisture IMO.
Hi Disco Dummpling,
I was just notiving how beautiful your hair looks. I wrote to you before and you told me about Fr. Hays Formula. Are you still using Dr. Hays Formula? If not what are you using now? Your hair is gorgeous. I'm asking because my hair is now forming little hairballs and shedding after two twisting or braiiding. Please help!