PDA

View Full Version : To Clarify or not to clarify that is the question...

karlynej
08-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok here we go.. I'm not sure how many of my Naturalistas actually clarify, but after reading Chicro and Watching Kimmytube and other tutorial I have been taught that the acidity in the vinegar and or backing soda is too much for our hair.. I already wasn't a big fan of either.. I actual wash my hair each week and dilute it with 50%-75% water to thin the shampoo out (courtesy of Grow It!) and that works wonders for me. I can not now or pre-natural not wash my hair 1x per week. Some it works wonders .. but not me..

So what is your take on the entire Clarifying routine???

Hadasah
08-24-2010, 07:37 PM
It really depends on what kinds of products I use, because some cause build up after using it for a while and if I'm (unintentionally!) too generous with how much oil I use then my hair attracts grime and dust and gets all icky. So to clarify, I just use Suave clarifying shampoo, then I'll be sure to use a good moisturizing conditioner afterwards.

Huntress
08-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I think it important to clarify. When my hair was out. I noticed it started to act differently when it needed a deep clean. Its wouldn't hold styles as long and it wasn't as light. My afro wouldn't stay round if that makes sense. It would fall to one side, as I think eavch strand was weighted down with product.

What products do you use? Maybe you could try cutting back, and that may mean you need to clarify less often. Or maybe not at all.

Discodumpling
08-25-2010, 02:10 AM
I clarify 1X per month just out of habit. I don't use products in my hair that cause build up but I like the benefits of "clean slate" hair that come from clarifying.

I clarify using a sulfate shampoo (sometimes with added baking soda) or ORS Aloe.

Ms-gg
08-25-2010, 03:30 AM
I do/did it because everyone says that you need to do it lol....honestly, I find no reason really. As long as you aren't using -cones, mineral oil, and other ingredients that are not water soluble than you probably don't need to use a clarifying shampoo.

I can't stand the stripped feeling anyway of sulfate shampoos (aren't just about all of them sulfate laced?)...no good for my porous napps...

dessertfirst
08-25-2010, 04:24 PM
I clarify when I feel it's necessary, even though I don't use products with cones and mineral oil, I still see and FEEL product/ butter/ oily build up. I make a simple baking soda paste, section my hair into 4, and massage the paste into my scalp. I let it rinse through my hair, and rinse again with lemon water to get completely rid of the gritty feeling. I deep condition on the same day because the baking soda is SLIGHTLY drying. Not nearly as much as a clarifying shampoo though. I clarify probably once a month, if not my hair just looks greasy and lifeless.

YoGirlToo
08-25-2010, 09:09 PM
i use jane carter solution
it has sls-(i know bad..)
but i use a lot oils and it works for me

bhop13
08-25-2010, 09:37 PM
I clarify when I need to...to each her own.

Soul Rebel
08-25-2010, 10:05 PM
I clarify a few times a year or so :)

Yoshi3329
08-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Ok here we go.. I'm not sure how many of my Naturalistas actually clarify, but after reading Chicro and Watching Kimmytube and other tutorial I have been taught that the acidity in the vinegar and or backing soda is too much for our hair.. I already wasn't a big fan of either.. I actual wash my hair each week and dilute it with 50%-75% water to thin the shampoo out (courtesy of Grow It!) and that works wonders for me. I can not now or pre-natural not wash my hair 1x per week. Some it works wonders .. but not me..

So what is your take on the entire Clarifying routine???

@Bolded.

No it isn't. Sera252 uses baking soda and her hair is down to her waist. Go to the blog "The Natural Haven" and looks at JC's series on PH. She disproves of any of that PH whatever diatribe.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-26-2010, 01:41 AM
depends on the products you use. i don't think i've clarified since 2008 but i also don't use anything on my hair that a sulfate free shampoo can't get out.

coilycurly
08-26-2010, 12:23 PM
somewhat off topic:

Just because some people can use baking soda without apparent damage doesn't mean everyone can. It is a scientific fact that the high pH of baking soda opens up (ruffles) the cuticle and can thus cause erosion of the fatty acid layer underneath. If your hair is relatively non-porous - this can be okay and actually help your hair to absorb moisture. But for people with normal and high porosity, this is not a good thing. Your hair can absorb too much water and lose tensile strength causing breakage if you manipulate the wet hair. At best, you must rebalance the pH by using an acidic rinse so your cuticles close.

Cosmetic chemists have spent decades of research to come up with products that are pH balanced for hair. They didn't do this because they were bored.

If baking soda, which is very cheap and widely available, were a safe and effective cleansing ingredient for the gamut of hair styling products out there and for 99% of heads (fine, coarse, porous, non-porous,) trust me, we would be seeing baking soda shampoo right there next to the vinegar and baking soda based cleasers in the environmental/organic section. It is glaringly absent.

Baking soda is a grease cutter. It even says so on a box of baking soda I had, which recommended it be used to clean combs, ovens and so on. It don't do a thing for silicones, polyquats etc found in many conditioners and styling products. Hence in my books I can't call it a clarifier as it will only work on oils and grease.

I have fine, porous hair that baking soda did a NUMBER on. Much worse than any SLS shampoo I used. Heck, I can't even use soaps for an extended period and the pH of soap isn't as high as baking soda.

The OP can try baking soda but she should bear in mind that certain hair types are prone to damage from using it and there are alternatives out there that are generally safer.

"The work of science is to substitute facts for impressions".

Karibana
08-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Since I no long use condish it might be time for me to retire my bottles of SLS shampoos. Ah man, back to trial and error...

coilycurly
08-27-2010, 02:48 AM
Since I no long use condish it might be time for me to retire my bottles of SLS shampoos. Ah man, back to trial and error...

You no longer use condish?!! Say it ain't so! I live and die by conditioner:p

Ms-gg
08-27-2010, 04:31 AM
@Bolded.

No it isn't. Sera252 uses baking soda and her hair is down to her waist. Go to the blog "The Natural Haven" and looks at JC's series on PH. She disproves of any of that PH whatever diatribe.

Oooh! I like her blog. Very informative. Good stuff! (:-)

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/part-1-of-2-porosity-definition-and.html

michelle1908
08-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Ok here we go.. I'm not sure how many of my Naturalistas actually clarify, but after reading Chicro and Watching Kimmytube and other tutorial I have been taught that the acidity in the vinegar and or backing soda is too much for our hair.

When I watched Kim's video I heard her say that the pH of acv is fine but baking soda isn't.

*Now I'm off to read the opposing view*

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DangShePretty
08-30-2010, 10:39 PM
your signature is hilarious! love it!

rasbot1
09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
You can also clarify with raw african black soap (looks like rocks). It does not strip the hair.