PDA

View Full Version : :( In need of advice

KittyHime
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
OKay so I am new to this forum and I'm gonna get straight to the point. I've just turned natural nearly a year ago and the transition was hard on my hair. I have mutli textured stubborn hair! I have used everything from frizz ease to motions to pink etc. and my hair is just a mess. Recently I found one side of my hair is a lot longer and thicker then the other side and noticeably so I was wondering if any one had any suggestions why? Also it has been breaking a lot and I do a lot of co washes(treseme and a deep conditioner hollywood beauty olive conditioner) like once to twice a week. If you have any suggestions or ideas of how i should manage my hair please do tell me!!
And for some background info I live a very stressful life and due to my current situation I'm really kinda malnourished(which could be a big part of my problem) but I try to take vitamins, and currently I'm using motions moisturizer, Sally's generic Sebastian potion 9 and Lets jam, occasionally i use softee and africans best.

Also too I have a very limited budget and I am near a Sally beauty supply store

Yoshi3329
09-01-2010, 03:41 PM
^^^Is that one side a different texture than the other? If that side is type 4, it more susceptible to breakage. I would cut down on the manipulation, put your hair in a protective style and just leave it alone. Wait for that side to thicken and grow out.

As for frizz, I have to say that it's quite common in type 4 hair. My only suggestion is clarify, deep condition, and seal your cuticle with a cuticle sealer. It may help with your frizz. Follow up with your anti-frizz product of choice.

Steaming can also help with frizz. So pre-shampoo with an oil and steam their hair.

Lastly, touching you hair so much can encourage frizz. When your trying to a twist-out, or your style of choice, make sure to quickly and gently style your hair.

napturallyme625
09-01-2010, 03:54 PM
It could be the products you are using but, It's DEFINITELY the stress! My best friend had super long thick hair, she was beyond stressed and she lost more than 30 lbs and her hair started to fall out. Sometimes you've got to step back and give yourself time to woo-sa and collect your thoughts, feelings, and mind to help hinder the stress. Maybe you don't have to do so many CO, I had to experiment with my cotton poof to see what she liked and disliked. Even though you may have been natural all this time, it is still possible you know know your hair.

Ms-gg
09-01-2010, 04:01 PM
Stop trying to cover up the problem with frizz ease, pink lotion and let's jam, and start giving your hair more moisture. Welcome to Nappturality :)

And not only more moisture and nourishment for your strands on the outside, you are going to need to start nourishing yourself internally as well! Healthy hair comes from a healthy body. Hair is made of proteins, water and other things as well, and you are going to need to get a balanced diet which will help aid in the improvement of your hair (aka less breakage imo).

Try more moisturizing products, emollients and sealants of all these goodies such as water, aloe vera gel or juice, coconut oil, castor oil, glycerin based products such as curl activators, etc etc. A good conditioner is Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose.

But there is no product in the world that is going to aid you if you don't start taking care of your nutritional needs first :)

Good luck to you and take care :)

fuzzyhair
09-01-2010, 04:06 PM
My advice would be to slow down on the product use and choose one or two products that your hair agrees with and slowly build on that. Watch out for products with mineral oil and alcohol too. Those ingredients are very very drying to the hair and dry hair is prone to breakage. Truth be told I only go to Sallys for clips, wide tooth comb, bobby pins, and accessories. I get the majority of my beauty supplies from the health food store. Just recently found the Curls line at Target and started trying that. Otherwise just make my own stuff. I hope you find a solution for the breakage.

coilycurly
09-01-2010, 06:12 PM
OKay so I am new to this forum and I'm gonna get straight to the point. I've just turned natural nearly a year ago and the transition was hard on my hair. I have mutli textured stubborn hair! I have used everything from frizz ease to motions to pink etc. and my hair is just a mess. Recently I found one side of my hair is a lot longer and thicker then the other side and noticeably so I was wondering if any one had any suggestions why? Also it has been breaking a lot and I do a lot of co washes(treseme and a deep conditioner hollywood beauty olive conditioner) like once to twice a week. If you have any suggestions or ideas of how i should manage my hair please do tell me!!
And for some background info I live a very stressful life and due to my current situation I'm really kinda malnourished(which could be a big part of my problem) but I try to take vitamins, and currently I'm using motions moisturizer, Sally's generic Sebastian potion 9 and Lets jam, occasionally i use softee and africans best.

Sorry to hear that your hair is adding to your stress. Welcome to Nappturality!

1. Are you shampooing at all? The products you are currently using are going to give you really bad buildup...they are not going to be removed properly with only conditioner. Buildup leads to dry, unmanageable, frizzy hair. Check the ingredients for mineral oil, other oils and silicones.

2. Look for more natural ingredients. Try to keep your routine as simple as possible - your hair should fit your lifestyle, not the other way around! I won't lie, I am quick to move to a TWA if life gets out of control. I've done it 3 times before and kept one for 5 years.

GetItBri
09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Im very new also to the natural hair lifestyle and I'm learning as I go but I do know that b4 I went natural I would have to wrap my hair or sleep with a satin bonnet to keep the breakage down at night so maybe u can also try that. :)

KittyHime
09-02-2010, 02:32 AM
Wow thanks guys Ive been looking up a lot of natural products but they are kinda pricey..but ill try and when I sleep I use a night cap, I do wash my hair with shampoo when I feel build up, the side that's breaking is not a different texture my texture differences are horizontal not vertical. And Ill try my best on nutrition thank you for all the advice

lin19lyn
09-02-2010, 04:19 AM
@KittyHime: Tea tree oil is @ $3 at Walgreens/Target/Walmart...I'm a newbie and I learned on this site to try H2O/extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO) spritz which I use frequently...shea butter is @ $5 for a solid tub which can last a long time. I warm it up and use it as a liquid...olive oil can also be added to a regular cond. for extra care. I also have taken a regular conditioner, thinned it with water and use as a leave-in...apple cider vinegar is used as a rinse to clarify and cleanse product from hair. Actually, I have found that natural products are waaay cheaper than store-bought products. Pick one and stick with it-you'll save $$$ and your hair will love you for it. Good luck.

KnottyAuthor
09-02-2010, 11:49 AM
The journey is 90% mental, 10 % physical. So turn your hair into a positive because it was made to praise(growing UP) and protect(retain moisture and keep brain cool and provide shelter-fur-for your body).
DONT go to the beauty store, go to the health food store or grocery store. Buy some olive oil/aloe vera gel and juice to NOURISH your hair.

And sis we ALL have multitextured hair . There is no one with kinky hair that doesnt. So you are not alone.

NeverGiveup
09-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Hmmmm..off hand I'm thinking the Hollywood Beauty may not be your friend. Co-washing is good if done with products that don't build up. You may need some shampoo to lift off that Hollywood beauty oil--it may be staying on your strands over time.

My sides are shorter than the rest of my hair too. Sounds like you may have had breakage on one side. If you could find a protective style--like twists or cornrows or something to give your hair a manipulation break to recoup. You may end up having to trim one side a little to even up things.

Breakage is so frustrating!

fRagrant.
09-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I have used everything from frizz ease to motions to pink etc.

Also it has been breaking a lot and I do a lot of co washes(treseme and a deep conditioner hollywood beauty olive conditioner) like once to twice a week. If you have any suggestions or ideas of how i should manage my hair please do tell me!!
and currently I'm using motions moisturizer, Sally's generic Sebastian potion 9 and Lets jam, occasionally i use softee and africans best.

The only way I am learning how to care for my hair is by coming here and the other forum I go to, watching Youtube and reading blogs, then actually having to experiment myself to see what works for me.

You're using way too many unnecessary products in your hair. Looking at the names of some of these products...no wonder why you're disappointed!
Hey, try this, don't use all those anymore (especially Pink) and come back with your results.

Masking your hair with gel, grease and other stuff will not help it. It's just putting a band-aid over your hair.
It's suffocating.
I learned now that those beauty supply stores do not carry great hair products. Most have mineral oil, petroleum and other crazy ingredients.

I do use Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil with Ginseng
(It's cheap too! I got mine for $2 at Family Dollar) and my hair really likes it. I found out my hair loves oils.
So now I'm going to start doing oil rinsing.
Maybe you should try it and see if your hair responds well.
(look for it on Youtube and the search bar here)
http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2009/07/reader-questions-coconut-oil-before.html

KittyHime
09-04-2010, 12:23 AM
I Mostly use treseme as a Co wash and I just bought a Herbal Oil by africas best from a beauty store for about five dollars... Next time ill go to family dollar!! Thank you!!