PDA

View Full Version : Button2004's Summer Shrinkage Challenge

Button2004
06-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Summer Shrinkage Challenge

Hello my beautiful naptural sistahs! (emphasis on the word beautiful) This is a challenge mainly for those who stretch their naps regularly or strive for curl definition. A challenge to those who cant stand their shrinkage. I have seen a whole bunch of threads about whether or not our texture of hair grows slower or at all. I have seen numerous threads about curl definition and how to avoid it.

My hair when stretched is about 3-5 inches depending on which part of my head you pull. Bout 5 on the the top and 3 on the sides. When shrunken it looks like it is about 1 inch or less. I have caught myself afraid of my shrinkage since I have come back to my hometown from college. It was easier to wear my shrinkage at school for some odd reason. Well, for the past two months I have only worn my hair out if it was braided or twisted the night before. When it didn't look right I would cover it with a scarf. I began to be afraid of water again, because it would make my afro shrink down. I began to feel bad, like my hair wont grow.

These feelings of insecurities stop today and for the next three months, I am not going to braid or twist to stretch my hair. I will wear my hair in the shrunken TWA. No barretts, headbands, scarves. Just wash those naps, pick them a bit, pat them down. Make you keep them moisturized. Dont be afraid of water and take compliments and even negative opinions with a smile. Will anyone else experiencing difficulty wearing their shrinkage take the challenge? Who will be the Summer Shrinkage Queen of 2004?? Me? Could it be you??

Post and share your opinions about the Summer Shrinkage Challenge, share your own challenges, and let us all know if you will take the challege.

cuteasabee
06-10-2004, 01:25 PM
I have just experinced the same thing, and I've gotten a positive response! :thumbsup I'll take up the summer challenage, although three months is a long time to go with no scarfs, head bands! I've realised this is a challenage! I think I'm gonna need alot of help!

Button2004
06-10-2004, 01:32 PM
:app :app :app Cuteasabee :d) :d)

The first challenger besides myself, will she be the only? Good luck to Cuteasabee (i am as a cute as a button :thumbsup)

tran68
06-10-2004, 01:35 PM
I didn't wear headbands, scarves or the like for almost two years, so I feel like I've been there done that as far as your challenge goes. Wearing my shrunken fro is fine, it's just detangling it at the end of the week is something I don't wish on my worst enemy. :nohuh

My summertime regimen is wearing twists for two weeks, twist out on the last day, washing, deep conditioning and putting twists back in, so I'm only manipulating my hair twice a month.

Button2004
06-10-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by tran68@Jun 10 2004, 08:35 AM
I didn't wear headbands, scarves or the like for almost two years, so I feel like I've been there done that as far as your challenge goes. Wearing my shrunken fro is fine, it's just detangling it at the end of the week is something I don't wish on my worst enemy. :nohuh

As far as detangling goes...I have never had trouble detangling when I wore the shrinkage all week when I wore my shrunken TWA...just no pooed and it combed out fine. I pick it when i rinse it and it is usually fine...

pearce1974
06-10-2004, 03:19 PM
I guess I've been taking the challenge indirectly since March, I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE my shrinkage :lol

Nappalonia
06-10-2004, 03:32 PM
I guess I don't need to join the challenge because I am not mad at the shrinkage, acutally, wearing my hair in its shrunken state makes my routine a lot less time consuming, I don't have to worry about braiding or twisting at night to stretch, or the summer humidity shrinking my fro.....I have about 3-4 inches that also looks like 1-2, but I am ready for some protective styles I know that.

Button2004
06-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by pearce1974@Jun 10 2004, 10:19 AM
I guess I've been taking the challenge indirectly since March, I LOOOOVVVVVEEEE my shrinkage :lol
That is what we like to hear :d) :d)

pearce1974
06-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Button, I even made up a song, "My hair goes BOING"

My hair goes boing, it makes me free, highly textured like a tree, don't you love to look at me!!!!

My hair goes boing, my hair goes boiiiii-ing, it's never boring, it's hot like fire, settin' off your desire

boing, boing, boing, my hair goes boing

So many twists and turns, young uns gotta learn
ain't no love in the creamy lye, love your napptural self

why????

to boing, boing, boing, your hair goes boing boing boing
don't mess it up, 'fess up, be yo'self, love yo' self, free yo'self

and booiii-ing

[yes I have too much time on my hands :lol :lol :lol

kimiij
06-10-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by pearce1974@Jun 10 2004, 10:47 AM

My hair goes boing, it makes me free, highly textured like a tree, don't you love to look at me!!!!

My hair goes boing, my hair goes boiiiii-ing, it's never boring, it's hot like fire, settin' off your desire

why????

and booiii-ing

:lol :lol :lol

VERY FUNNY!!! I LOVE IT!

Claire76
06-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by pearce1974@Jun 10 2004, 10:47 AM

why????

and booiii-ing

Awww. :razz

That's a cute song. :)

As for the challenge, I've been running my own version of it already. The less hair I appear to have, the less flack I get from certain family members.

The only warning I have to offer coincides with a point that's already been mentioned: detangling. I may revel in my shrinkage. But I cannot afford to neglect my hair. I learned the hard way after leaving my hair alone for a significant period of time. (Usually I pick out my 'fro every day or so. At the very least, I twist it. But I don't know what got into me... :doh )

Anyways. After some serious neglect, I decided it was time to detangle. I didn't lose half of my hair. However I lost enough for my mom to notice. She asked me if I'd given myself a hair cut. :(

YoGirlToo
06-10-2004, 10:43 PM
i'm in this is an easy challenge. i've been doing this for years!!
infact yesterday a friend of mine told me my hair cut looked cute. but guess what i didn't have a haircut- my hair had shrunk!

cuteasabee
06-10-2004, 11:01 PM
Hiya!, I've been reading this thread and detangling seems to be coming up alot, and I'm getting quite worried. I've been wearing mt twa with shrinkage for anot two weeks now, I no poo everyday and comb through it when I'm in the shower. when I finish in the shower, I mositurize do a small comb through to shape my fro, and thats about it. Now I don't think I need to detangle(I'm not sure how to anyways!) but does it sound like I need to?

nap2bfree
06-11-2004, 01:18 AM
8) It's all good.

I just took my extention kinky twist down 2 weeks ago after 2 and ahalf months. i had some nice growth (still not where I would like it to be, but it is getting there) anyway. since I took it down I had been doing two strand twist and afros as a style cause I am not good at styling. two days ago I decided to wash and go and I loved the results, I got several complaments. I was debateing on putting a diffrant color in my hair for the summer, I had a medium brown on the ends but it made my hair look dry and brittle. I decided to do a burgandy and it brought my hair to life.

I have always liked my shrinkage, though at times I wanted to show my length by blow drying it. I hated the way it felt. It feels healther when it is in it's shrunken state.

I will happily take the challenge :cow:

nap2bfree

Azure
06-11-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by cuteasabee@Jun 10 2004, 06:01 PM
Hiya!, I've been reading this thread and detangling seems to be coming up alot, and I'm getting quite worried. I've been wearing mt twa with shrinkage for anot two weeks now, I no poo everyday and comb through it when I'm in the shower. when I finish in the shower, I mositurize do a small comb through to shape my fro, and thats about it. Now I don't think I need to detangle(I'm not sure how to anyways!) but does it sound like I need to?
Nah. If you are combing through it every day, you are already detangling. Usually I call it 'detangling' when it has been a while since I last combed my hair.

Azure :razz

natitwists
06-11-2004, 02:23 AM
Good luck to the challengers! :app :app

napturallyme
06-11-2004, 02:56 AM
Good luck, but I won't be participating. I plan to wear twists, so that's stretching my hair, lol.

BlakReign
06-11-2004, 03:27 AM
Good luck yall!!! I am already at one with my shrinkage, and I plan on wearing finger twist most of the summer.

pyogazel
06-11-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by napturallyme@Jun 11 2004, 03:56 AM
Good luck, but I won't be participating. I plan to wear twists, so that's stretching my hair, lol.
I was thinking about dry twisting to show some length, but hey! I want to be in! I'm up for this challenge, I will continue twisting on ultra wet hair :razz
as far as the no-scarffro is concerned, it's a real challenge for me 'cause my hair is huge... a real challenge but I'll try :)

vinny_46
06-11-2004, 07:35 AM
I'm in, but I never did any of the other things in the first place. :thumbsup

Button2004
06-11-2004, 01:05 PM
:app :app :app Big Applause to everyone who joined the challenge. It is becoming a big challenge for me. Last night I was tempted to twist it up but I persevered. Today I did my first wash n go and I love it!! Welcome new contestants!!! You have each given me more motivation. :d) :d) :d)

Venetter
06-11-2004, 03:22 PM
I don't think I can do this all the way. I've been wearing my shrunken twa for the past week, but with a headband. Without the headband my hair just looks badly misshappen due to looser textures at the nape of my neck and the front of my head - and I don't feel like evening it out. :cen :razz

I'll try to wear my shrunken twa, but if I go out of town (hopefully on vacation this summer) I'll stretch my 'fro out for a nice twist out.

Good luck to all the hardcore challengers. I'll try my best to keep up! :-)

SassyDiva
06-12-2004, 03:53 PM
I was already doing that anyway. Count me in I will take the Challenge.

gilroygal
06-12-2004, 07:51 PM
I deal with my shrinkage, and I just accept the fact that that is what my hair does. Every day I condish wash, rinse apply Elasta QP Mango Butter, pick and go. My hair usually shrinks down to where it looks like 1/4 of an inch. I may pick it out after it dries to fluff it a bit, but I don't EVER plan on doing anything to stretch it out. My hair tangles and knots when I manipulate it alot. It's so short that I hardley ever wear a headband. Ever since I have been wearing my hair natural, I've only worn a headband TWICE, because it's so short. I really LOVE the look of an afro!!