PDA

View Full Version : No BC (long-term transitioning) Challenge!

Crinklicious
09-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Who's in it for the long haul? I am 4 months post relaxer and have BSL hair. Stylistically speaking, the TWA just isn't a good look for me (yes, it's been tried). However, the toughest thing about no bc is making it through "that stage" when you probably should just BC and let it go or get discouraged and relax. I need support! I'm sure other long term tranistioners do too. I can't say I'm never going to cut off the relaxed hair (it's a lot of hair), but we need to stay strong until our napptural hair is at a length we are comfortable rocking. Who's with me???

Dani F
09-04-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm with you I am going to try and do a long term transition also. I'm 5 months post relaxer and have CBL hair. I'm getting my hair trimmed every couple of months.

Maat
09-04-2010, 11:26 PM
I did mine for a year and a month...good luck to u both, its a piece of cake if u are occupied.

IndividualME
09-05-2010, 03:04 AM
How was your experience OriloniseMinani? What techniques did you use? I am planning on doing a long term transition as well. I have been transitioning since March and I do not plan on doing the BC. If I do the BC after a year of Transitioning, I might just have to do Kinky Twist or Box Braids until my hair grows out lol.

Maat
09-05-2010, 03:18 AM
During my experience, I was distracted with high school, a boyfriend, college, and obstacles, which prevented me from focusing too much on my hair(which helped tremendously because I wasn't anxious until the year mark was approaching). Honestly, I was just going with the flow, I didn't know nething about a BC. I knew I was going to be bt I wasn't sure when I'd make the decision to go get my ends clipped.

MOST of the time I wore buns and towards summer time I'd wear bantu knot outs(sometimes)

@IndividualME you're on a good start..6 months. u probably have a good two inches or so right now. once u see how much your hair has grown after a year, u will not want to put in kinky twists. all u gotta do is get the permed ends cut...then TA-DA! u can do your own hair..

Maat
09-05-2010, 03:25 AM
oh yeah, I have another suggestion for this challenge...if u want to be able to manage your permed hair and your natural hair at the same time..put your hair in big braids or twists every night or just on the days u wash your hair to prevent it from tangling or knotting. this will be easier on u

also try to refrain from combing, start now by finger combing, so when it comes time to really take care of your natural hair, u'd be less likely to use a comb.

CinnamonBiscuit
09-05-2010, 04:18 AM
You can do it! All of you! (:-)

That's what I did.

AshleyMari
09-05-2010, 10:20 PM
This is my 2nd time going natural and I never bced this time, & its too late to BC now.
The first time it was like 1 year and a half maybe two years (really wasn't paying attention lol) Now, its been 1 year and two months ... I don't really pay attention I just get trims when I feel I need to *shrugs* it'll all be gone eventually! lol

MissKC
09-06-2010, 06:04 AM
I am up for the challenge. My last relaxer was in March and the two different hair types are killing me. I hate the breakage. Plus my hair is below my shoulders so I am not up to the BC..
I hadn't even the tracking how long it had been since my last relaxer. I had to check my checkbook to see when I last wrote a check to my stylist. I want to try a two strand twist, but I am scared by ends are going to do funky things...
I am excited about having others to go through this with!

MissKC
09-06-2010, 06:11 AM
oh yeah, I have another suggestion for this challenge...if u want to be able to manage your permed hair and your natural hair at the same time..put your hair in big braids or twists every night or just on the days u wash your hair to prevent it from tangling or knotting. this will be easier on u

also try to refrain from combing, start now by finger combing, so when it comes time to really take care of your natural hair, u'd be less likely to use a comb.

No combing once my hair is all natural? I have much more reading to do! :) I don't like to comb now because of the breakage.

hunnyluv_28
09-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Hey ladies! This is accomplishable for you. I transitioned for a whole year but I did trim the ends off every few months until it was gone. I love being Napptural!!! Good luck ladies!!

JazzyPam
09-07-2010, 04:23 AM
I'm definitely up for the challenge. October (next month) will make one year for me since my last relaxer. I'm having no problems at all... now. At around the 6 month mark, I was ready to throw in the towel. Since then, I've learned to detangle/comb/brush in the shower with my hair soaking wet with lots of conditioner. I stopped roller setting and using heat, and started doing braid outs and pony tails instead. My hair is around bra strap length (was past BSL when I started) and I want to wait until I have significantly more length. I really can't tell where my new growth stops because I never think to check when it's wet.. but I think it's chin length now. I want it at least to my shoulders (without stretching) before I chop the relaxer off.

Ijustwanttobefree101
09-08-2010, 12:45 PM
im in!!!!

i have box braids in rite now but im taking them out in 1-2weeks i want to put in nubian twist in and wear them for probbly a month or so...im almost 6months into my transition yay me!! good luck to everyone. you can do it!!!! LOL

Natural Mocha
09-09-2010, 02:48 AM
I am in. I can't remember when I last had a relaxer April or May I guess. I love seeing the new growth come in. I want to learn how to work with the two hair types better. Also I am trying to come out of my PJ status. I want to transition for at least a year.

tasha5951
09-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Im in for the challenge! I do not want to BC! Im a dance teacher and personal trainer so I keep my hair up and out of my face most of the time. My goal for the next month is to not use an elastic on my hair, instead I'm trying to use bobby pins and the ouchless hair clips by Goodie. Good luck everyone :)

negarden95
09-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I am in. I am in my 9 month of transitioning. Not doing the BC, until my natural hair is around 9-10 inches or I eventually trim all my relax hair. I am loving the different hair styles I can do and just loving the natural hair curl up, so cute. Can't wait until I am all natural. At the beginning my hair was so hard to handle, now it is so easy. I use henna as a deep conditioner to soften the relax and natural hair, plus it strengthen my hair. I was so shock when I use henna, cause my hair is very brittle and dry at first, but for some reason when I use the henna, my hair became soft and strong. Just love it. If you have any products you recommend please let me know. Thanks.

felela1
09-16-2010, 04:51 PM
**Waves**

Ladies I am so with you, I cant do the BC bcuz I have a fat face and I just wouldnt look right with an inch of hair so Im in in for the long hual. LOL
I have done this before but transitioned with braids. Now I want to transition with my hair out :/ Im only 2 months in so I have a long way to go

darkbeauty78
09-16-2010, 04:55 PM
I am joining the challenge! I am currently a little over 5 months into the transition. I went to the stylist for the first time since I began this journey yesterday to get a trim. She used heat to straighten it and then trimmed about 1/4 inch. I have been trimming a little every couple of weeks at home. She asked me when I planned on bc'ing. I said in two or three years. She laughed and said that's a long time. I agree, but I want my natural hair to be at least sbl before I cut the relaxer off. So, I do not plan on using heat like she did. I will just stick to my flat-twist out. So far so good!

kupkakecutie88
09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
im in for a long transition as well hopefully 18-24 months. right now im 3.5 months in. Through out my transition i will keep my hair weaved up. I dont have a problem with doing the big chop because im scissor happy but im trying to hold off. Im doing my transition with no heat. <3

AshleyMari
09-20-2010, 12:29 AM
Relaxed ends are so ugly wet ;/

herownbeat
09-23-2010, 02:59 AM
I got my lastperm right before Christmas. If you're going for the long-term, I agree that you have to keep your hair occupied. For me, that was keeping my hair braided, in weaves, etc. That was great during that icky 3-4 month stage. My hair is longer now than when I first started transitioning. I'm wearing two-strand twists now, and this is the first time during my transition that all of my hair is out to the world.

trauma05 -Don't be too worried about your ends. Most of mine are ok. They're a lot thinner, but it's still ok. I have only one twist that doesn't want to stay...go figure. Just try it and if you don't like it...you can rock a twist out. Good luck!

I am up for the challenge. My last relaxer was in March and the two different hair types are killing me. I hate the breakage. Plus my hair is below my shoulders so I am not up to the BC..
I hadn't even the tracking how long it had been since my last relaxer. I had to check my checkbook to see when I last wrote a check to my stylist. I want to try a two strand twist, but I am scared by ends are going to do funky things...
I am excited about having others to go through this with!

relaxed2naturalb3auty
09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
This is exactly what I have been looking for. I am 17weeks post relaxer and just made APL. I want to transition for 24 months but I dont know if I will be able to make it. I've been itching to cut. I actually cut a lil piece yesterdayn just to see what my texture would look like and I love it. I would do the b/c but I am too scared I woun't look good with short hair so I am taking it slow. Day by day.

relaxed2naturalb3auty
09-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Relaxed ends are so ugly wet ;/

Yes they are!!!!! That's why Im soooooo tempted to do the B/C but I won't I dont feel like I have enough length yet.

Ballerhappygirl
09-23-2010, 06:00 PM
I received my last relaxer in Nov 2009. I've done some trims since then, but I have to keep it long enough to slick back so I can put on my fake afro puff :-) That is my style of choice but i did have 2-strand twist for about 3 months that I removed at the beginning of this month. I don't think I will do anymore weave because I don't like all of the shedding when I take it out, but if I do weave again it will NOT be a straight style. I don't want anyone to remember what I look like with straight hair anytime soon ;-) The closer I get to a year the more I just want to chop the relaxed ends off, but I'm going to try and stay strong until my 15 month mark.

Damita
09-24-2010, 05:08 AM
I transitioned over a period of about two years by wearing braids and kinky twists. As time went by, I started wearing my twists shorter and shorter. By the time I went completely natual, I was accustomed to seeing myself with shorter hair.

herownbeat
09-26-2010, 07:25 PM
Baller - When you did your two-strand twists, did you have hair added? What kind of hair did you use and were you able to wash it? When I did my Senegalese twists, I found out after they were put in that I shouldn't wash my hair. Needless to say, the style didn't last as long as I I would have liked.

I received my last relaxer in Nov 2009. I've done some trims since then, but I have to keep it long enough to slick back so I can put on my fake afro puff :-) That is my style of choice but i did have 2-strand twist for about 3 months that I removed at the beginning of this month. I don't think I will do anymore weave because I don't like all of the shedding when I take it out, but if I do weave again it will NOT be a straight style. I don't want anyone to remember what I look like with straight hair anytime soon ;-) The closer I get to a year the more I just want to chop the relaxed ends off, but I'm going to try and stay strong until my 15 month mark.

LOOKN2BNAPPY
09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Hello everyone, I am 28 weeks post today. This is my 3rd or 4th time trying to transition. I am sure I will make it this time. I am not looking to Chop before next summers.

blackice82
10-01-2010, 02:59 AM
Hi everybody this is my second attempt and final it's been 12wks right now and I want to transition for at least a year

IndividualME
10-26-2010, 01:41 AM
Hey everyone. I guess I am officially in. I have 14 inches of relaxer 4 inches of beautiful natural hair. YAYYY ME!! I am hoping to get atleast 10 inches by the time March comes. I may have to wait a year and a half before I can actually snip, snip!! LOL.I am trying to find out what else to do to my hair until then. I kind of want to do some more box braids for another two months and see what else happens to my hair. My hair responds the best to Box Braids and I would be able to probably see atleast two more inches of new growth. That would make my hair at 6 inches with 4 left. YEA!!!!!! My only issue is that it was supposedly breaking my face out. I have no box braids and my face is STILL breaking out actively. I am starting to believe this has NOTHING to do with Box Braids. This has to be probably just my terrible diet lol. Any dvice? I am probably going to do it sometime before Thanksgiving anyway. I LOVE my big box braids lol. I won't curl the ends this time. I am going to wear it straightened lol.

IndividualME
10-26-2010, 01:48 AM
I am not saying to straighten your hair either. This is all fake hair I am talking a bout and I switch up how I wear the ends every time I do the box braids. The beginning is braided and the end is either curled or not curled. That's all lol...

Amoraphobic
10-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Hey everyone. I guess I am officially in. I have 14 inches of relaxer 4 inches of beautiful natural hair. YAYYY ME!! I am hoping to get atleast 10 inches by the time March comes. I may have to wait a year and a half before I can actually snip, snip!! LOL.I am trying to find out what else to do to my hair until then. I kind of want to do some more box braids for another two months and see what else happens to my hair. My hair responds the best to Box Braids and I would be able to probably see atleast two more inches of new growth. That would make my hair at 6 inches with 4 left. YEA!!!!!! My only issue is that it was supposedly breaking my face out. I have no box braids and my face is STILL breaking out actively. I am starting to believe this has NOTHING to do with Box Braids. This has to be probably just my terrible diet lol. Any dvice? I am probably going to do it sometime before Thanksgiving anyway. I LOVE my big box braids lol. I won't curl the ends this time. I am going to wear it straightened lol.

Do you drink a lot of water? If not, start with that and all start watching your diet. A lot of the foods you eat can cause break outs.

I basically stopped using soaps and cleansers on my face about 2 months ago and I've been seeing great progress. I wash my face with just water and I use Biore astringent and witch hazel on a cotton ball/round and wipe my face with that. I moisturize with vitamin E oil and cocoa butter (just a little, else your face with shine like a Christmas ham). If I do use a cleanser, I'll do so once a week at the most.

ghonda35
10-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone. I am long term transtioning. Last texturizer June 2nd. I have been doing twist out and puff balls. I had cut my hair before last textizer. More natural hair than relaxer. Still don't plan on cutting, just triming ends.

Marawithlove
11-17-2010, 03:49 AM
I'm in this for the long-run! My hair is probably 1 inch away from chin length in the back, but shorter on the sides and the front, about equal or longer on the top. I don't want to BC until I know for sure my napps are at a length where I can style my hair the way I want to! :)

Nilza
11-26-2010, 02:35 PM
which lenght did your hair got when you cut it?

SERENITY1978
11-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Ok ladies count me in!!

I'm not as far into transitioning, my last relaxer was october 19, 2010.

I do have new growth and as of right now I have micro braids in. I have been using a mixture I melted together of evco and shea butter with a couple drops of jojoba oil, I use it every other nite and I use a spritz I made of water, aloe gel, and a couple drops of shea moisturizer serum, and I use it daily. I am hoping that by keepin my roots and my scalp well moisturized tht hopefully it will cut the dryness down. I am so prepared to deal with my natural thick hair. I don't want to bc but I will if I have to...lol but we shall see. So far I'm thinkin tht once these micros come out I will box braid using my own hair or either use some human hair extensions......hmmm I wish the stuff was reusable...its costly. But anyways.....let's do this ladies!

SERENITY1978
11-28-2010, 02:46 PM
im in for a long transition as well hopefully 18-24 months. right now im 3.5 months in. Through out my transition i will keep my hair weaved up. I dont have a problem with doing the big chop because im scissor happy but im trying to hold off. Im doing my transition with no heat. <3

I'm with u on that one! NO HEAT PLEASE!

Nilza
11-28-2010, 03:04 PM
My last relaxer was in september..........wanna do itfor about a year...

bre.sharnise
11-29-2010, 09:12 PM
my last relaxer was in august and I want to join... i plan not to bc until august 2011

NewHairStateOf Mind
12-04-2010, 12:07 AM
OMG, i'm on the same boat as you! I'm at BSL and I'm 3months and a week post relaxer on sunday. I wouldn't dare cut off all my relaxed ends.

lin19lyn
12-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Welcome ladies! to the natural life. It really is a fun experience to learn about your own nappy hair. And you are right, HEAT is the enemy of our hair and not recommended ever. @ darkbeauty78: the stylist shouldn't have straightened your natural hair to cut it. Many naturals do their own trims: put hair in the two strand twists and dust (barely trim the ends)...And be cautious about adding weave hair because of the glue used/ loss of edge hair/ pulling tightly on the edges while styling...I did a short transition-actually wasn't even aware thats what I was doing! I just got tired of the p.erm and knew I wanted to see my own hair. I was very happy to do the BC. Right now I'm keeping my hair braided or twisted and covered to protect it from the cold. Good luck with your transition...

negarden95
12-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi ladies,

I original said I was going to wait until my natural hair was around 9inchs, but I can't wait anymore. I will be cutting off the relax ends this weekend, it will be my one yr anniversary! I want to see my natural hair and I am ready. So excited!!! I will post pictures soon. Thanks for your support!!!

YuYu
12-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I transitioned over a period of about two years by wearing braids and kinky twists. As time went by, I started wearing my twists shorter and shorter. By the time I went completely natual, I was accustomed to seeing myself with shorter hair.

I BCd years ago. Just wanted to say this is a brilliant idea.

herownbeat
12-10-2010, 03:09 AM
Hi ladies,

I original said I was going to wait until my natural hair was around 9inchs, but I can't wait anymore. I will be cutting off the relax ends this weekend, it will be my one yr anniversary! I want to see my natural hair and I am ready. So excited!!! I will post pictures soon. Thanks for your support!!!

Yay!!! I wanted to do a transition around the same length as well, but I'll be doing my BC around my one-year mark too. BC (or not so BC...lol) hear I come. :-)

Whatadoll
12-10-2010, 03:57 AM
I transitioned for 2 years by wearing a sew in weave with my natural hair cornrowed underneath. It was pretty easy because I didn't have to deal with the growing out of two textures. My only problem is that I have a bit of heat damage in the front from flat ironing my left out hair around my part.

All things considered, if I had to traaition all over again, I would do it the same way. I just don't think a TWA is for me, I have have the cajones for it!

gabazin
12-10-2010, 05:00 PM
hi everyone
i've been transitioning for abt 5 mnths now and i think i wanna go for a yr or so transitioning... so i'm in. Last relaxer; beginning of June and right now i'm using canerows and bantu knots to transition... it's going well so far.. but yay! i'm excited for this ong transition... do we have to post pics and stuff!??

negarden95
12-15-2010, 08:37 PM
Well I did it!!! So happy with my choice of cutting off the relax ends, so much easier now!!! Well, I need to figure how to down load these pictures. Will post soon. My only challenge right now is keeping my hair moisturize and figuring out a protective style. So happy!!!

Chanouw1
12-15-2010, 10:01 PM
i'm in also :) i am almost on my fourth month.. and am not planning on doing the big shop ! God luck girls!!

Chanouw1
12-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Really i think this is going to be a great experience for us let's hold on even if times get rough.. there will be a reward after!!

sistagurlkky09
12-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Count me in! My last perm was in Aug. 1st. I am planning on BC around Nov. or Dec. 2011

Wendeeda
12-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm in. I'm eight months in now. And want to make it at least a year.

herownbeat
12-17-2010, 04:38 AM
My days are numbered. Yay!!! I'm almost at a year.

ceecurls
12-20-2010, 01:00 AM
This is my second time attempting to transition, I love natural hair but have always bent into society norms of having "straight" hair. I'm done with it. I cut almost all of my hair off in mid August (enough to have my kitchen tapered) but my hair was still relaxed so as my hair is growing back I'd like it to be natural. This way I'll already be used to having shorter hair and will have less relaxed ends to trim or cut off when I'm done transitioning. I'll also be going to college next fall so deff won't have the extra money to be runnin to the salon every two weeks so yeah. Its time ladies, wish me luck (:

MissL2911
12-25-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm up for this challenge as well...My plan is to transition for at least a year....
No heat whatsoever....

Let's keep eachother encouraged ladies!

Chanouw1
12-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Who's in it for the long haul? I am 4 months post relaxer and have BSL hair. Stylistically speaking, the TWA just isn't a good look for me (yes, it's been tried). However, the toughest thing about no bc is making it through "that stage" when you probably should just BC and let it go or get discouraged and relax. I need support! I'm sure other long term tranistioners do too. I can't say I'm never going to cut off the relaxed hair (it's a lot of hair), but we need to stay strong until our napptural hair is at a length we are comfortable rocking. Who's with me???

lol i dont know if i already responded to this thread lol i am to lazy to look for my answer but anyways i am up for the challenge lol i almost did something crazy yesterday.. i was getting sick of my straight or whatever ends lol i cut a piece of it shhh dnt tell my bf lol

herownbeat
12-27-2010, 07:10 AM
I did my BC a couple days ago. I'm so happy. My stylist cut off the last 5-7" off, and I had enough hair for her to do a two-strand twist. I'll post a new pic soon for my avi. Good luck as you continue your journey!

MissL2911
12-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Well I just did my first bantu-knot....Gonna take them down tomorrow before I go to work and rock a bantu-knot out. I hope it doesn't come out looking busted...cus I worked really hard on them lol

Dani F
03-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi you guys, I have now been transitioning for one year! But I don't know how much longer I will be able to last without big choppping. My relaxed hair has started to break of at my nape area. So I will probably have to big chop within the next couple of months.

sindy
03-29-2011, 05:01 PM
im in :) the Bc isn't for me at all

lovemykinks2
04-18-2011, 05:53 PM
I need all of you ladies' help with some resaerch i am doing. What did you find was or is your biggest frustration with transitioning from relaxed to natural hair? Just click on this link http://www.lovemykinks.com/ to let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.
Kinked & Lovin it!

lovemykinks2
04-18-2011, 05:56 PM
I need your help with some resaerch i am doing. What did you find was or is your biggest frustration with transitioning from relaxed to natural hair? Just click on this link http://www.lovemykinks.com/ to let me know. Thanks in advance for your help.
Kinked & Lovin it!

sweetthickcoco
05-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Hello everyone. I don't want to do the bc. I am scared of how I would look with short hair. And I use to almost cry when my hair dresser trimmed my hair. But I actually did the transition thing 2 years ago. I was teaching myself how to do single braid extensions I did this for almost a year. Not knowing it was called transitioning I was just tired of paying 60 dollars every 6 weeks and 35 in between them weeks for my perm. Then I got lazy and went back to a perm. My hair is really thick when natural. And I love watching peoples videos of natural styles. I actually forgot how nice it was to have thicker hair and the styles. With my perm my hair was always straight down sometimes some curls but it was not a lot I could do with it. One girl on youtube actually get my interested in going natural. And I just wish I had magic hands to go natural with a snap. I am kinda nervous because I had surgery on my arm and I might be going under again for surgery number 4 this time casted for 6 weeks so I don't know if I will be able to maintain it. I just started the move its only been 5 weeks but my new growth grows kind o fast when my hair is not to my shoulders. So I been looking for styles because I think I want to transition until I have one inch of perm to cut off.

Lakieeshaan
06-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Hey is this challenge still good. I want to transition without the big cut . It has been 5 months since last permed. It is approx shoulder length.

new2naps11
06-18-2011, 12:19 AM
I would like to be apart of this challenge, too. I have not had a relaxer since April of this year and I don't think the BC would look good on my big head LOL!! Let's go ladies :D

seehiddentreasures
07-02-2011, 02:08 AM
Hello,

I'm 10 months no relaxer. I am trying to decide on whether I should make the big chop or not. At this point I am wearing sew ins and my hair is washed, treated and conditioned weekly. Its working out pretty well. Every month I am trimming off about a inch until all of the relaxer is gone. Once I am completly natural I want to purchase a hair steamer in order to restore moisture does anyone use this currently on their natural hair and if so how does it work for you.

Lolascurls
07-28-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm in! I'm 20 months post relaxer and aiming for 2 yrs minimum by God's grace!
Wish me luck!

iGotKinks
07-28-2011, 01:32 AM
I feel your pain, I am 4 months as well. I literally was steaming out of the ears just yesterday when my usual hairstyle (on my profile pic) was not acting right and I just grabbed the scissors and cut the piece of hair that was sticking out too far. SMH I know bad thing to do, so I suggest you live through my frustration and not make the same mistake. Try using a hair wrap on those bad transitioning hair days. I got a few scarves a few weeks ago and I use them on my hectic days. It's a struggle, but I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

niki32
08-08-2011, 12:17 AM
I am currently at my 8 month mark and I'm definitely not ready to do the BC either. It does get very frustrating though!!!!

jewel!
08-09-2011, 03:47 AM
Well This is my official first time transitioning. I wanted to begin going natural in the beginning of this year, but due to my recent wedding I decided to steer clear of a hair battle of two different textures. I'm just so tired of people degrading nappy/natural hair within the black community. I used to feel attractive with my relaxed hair now I just feel simply foolish trying to be something I'm not. I know this will be a shock to those in my immediate circle, but I'm armed and ready to FINALLY be me!!!!

Loveable_5212
08-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm in it for the long haul too. Its been only a month since my last relaxer and this is my second attempt at going natural. And I can't do the BC again, it wasnt a good look for me lol.

cristalvirtue1
08-28-2011, 02:25 AM
I've been doing this for about six months, and will continue the transitioning process until the day comes that I can cut off the ends, and can pull back my virgin hair with all the ends inside the band. IDK when that will be.

JazzWife
08-28-2011, 02:58 AM
I transitioned for two years before cutting off my relaxed ends. September 18th will be one year natural . . . and three years of growing my hair. You can do it, you can do it. I know you can!!!

naturalgirl99
02-14-2012, 06:10 PM
During my experience, I was distracted with high school, a boyfriend, college, and obstacles, which prevented me from focusing too much on my hair(which helped tremendously because I wasn't anxious until the year mark was approaching). Honestly, I was just going with the flow, I didn't know nething about a BC. I knew I was going to be bt I wasn't sure when I'd make the decision to go get my ends clipped.

MOST of the time I wore buns and towards summer time I'd wear bantu knot outs(sometimes)

@IndividualME you're on a good start..6 months. u probably have a good two inches or so right now. once u see how much your hair has grown after a year, u will not want to put in kinky twists. all u gotta do is get the permed ends cut...then TA-DA! u can do your own hair..
I agree. If you're distracted or not thinking about your hair too much, it helps. I had alot going on in my personal life and I just didn't feel like relaxing my hair and also I would get new growth every 4-5 wks. Every time I turned around I was relaxing my hair. So I decided to wait till 8 wks and then I was going to relax it. But I washed and conditioned, and flat ironed instead and my hair still looked good. Did that for a while and next thing you know I started seeing my natural curl pattern and still undecided at that point with what I was gonna do with my hair, i just went with it. I wore a ponytail and buns during the summer. I've been cornrowing my hair and I bought my 1st wig in January. Lots of nice compliments!

Now here I am 6 months since my last relaxer and I'm commited to going through with it. My challenge as of now is after I took out my cornrows, washed, deep conditioned, my hair has a lot of knots and matting. I tried to remove as many of the tagles as possible, but I still have more to go. The whole process took 7 hrs I got frustrated and just braided my hair and put the wig back on the next day. Help!!! I don't know what to do. I might have to bc sooner than I planned.

leentora
02-26-2012, 07:25 PM
I am 23 months post relaxer and I plan to BC end of march which will be 24 months post. I am glad it is almost coming to an end. It was and is a journey that was worth all the time and investment of growing out my naps. I can not wait to rid these ends.

Rosina
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Hey!!!! I am in. I decided to go natural just last week, so I shall start counting from today, which is 27th February 2012. I am deciding to transition for two years, so I should be able to do the big chop on 28th february 2014, soundslike a long time ehh. Was so glad to find this site. I really need all the encouragement I can get to transition slowly coz I dont want to lose my hair, I so totally love long hair. Am sure its going to be a long and rough ride, but I feel great about having other people who are in it with me. Cheers!!!

Honeyblessing
03-05-2012, 05:01 AM
I dud a long transition, almost two years...imo, I actually think it helps you to get to know your hair better... plus I love the diff stages if actually seeing the changes! YOU GUYS CAN DO IT, KEEP GOING!!!!

Rosina
03-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Hey!!!! I am in. I decided to go natural just last week, so I shall start counting from today, which is 27th February 2012. I am deciding to transition for two years, so I should be able to do the big chop on 28th february 2014, soundslike a long time ehh. Was so glad to find this site. I really need all the encouragement I can get to transition slowly coz I dont want to lose my hair, I so totally love long hair. Am sure its going to be a long and rough ride, but I feel great about having other people who are in it with me. Cheers!!!

Okay. I gave up!!!! I washed my hair last sunday and my relaxed ends were just looking bad. As I tried to comb later when it had air dried, there was so much hair coming out, I decided there and then to go the nearest saloon and have it chopped off. Which I did. I feel great, liberated actually. I had about 8 inches of hair, its now about 3 inches, with 1 inch of natural hair and 2 inches of relaxed hair. Its stopped breaking off and I have just had it braided in flat twists. Am just so glad to be rid of the relaxed ends and hope to be able to chop off the remainder in a few month time.

To all you ladies who are in the challenge, please do soldier on. It just couldnt work for me due to the amount of hair breakage I was experiencing. I think my hair had been too damamged by my last relaxing session.

Praise Hymn
03-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Hey guys... I'm in it for the long haul... this is my second time transitioning... The first time, a few years ago, I did a BC after about two months of transitioning thru braids... I was natural for almost six years. I had a baby, and my fro was just too big for me to properly care for, so in a moment of frustration, I relaxed and cut it all off. Now, my son is three years old and I miss my napps... So, I stopped relaxing in Sept. 2011 and I've been braided up in yarn braids (which I LOVE) since Nov. 2011. I'm not gonna cut if for a while. I plan to continue braiding it for a few more months at least... tryna transition for at least a year...