PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Sally's Knockoff Generic Products...?

Knottygal
01-26-2003, 06:31 AM
I was in Sally's today :lol: and I noticed the generic line. I saw a knockoff of Sebastian Wet and a knock off of many Paul Mitchell products including a Tea Tree Conditioner. A lot of these are $5 I was wondering if anyone uses them and if they're any good or should I spend the money and get the real deal........

Bellybutton
01-26-2003, 06:49 AM
Go for it

I looked up the ingredients on the original and the copy cat.

They are exactly the same.. except ONE!

I like the copy cats and endorse them for those who wish to try them :)

elani75
01-26-2003, 07:19 AM
hi knottygirl,

I have used the sally's knockoff of Sebastian Wet and it worked just fine for me. :D In fact, my hairstylist recommended it to me. I haven't used the original product, but I had no problems using the knockoff.

Hope this helps.

-e

littlefish
01-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Back in my relaxed hair days I used the generic Nexxus Humectress, and I really liked it. (I'm a big fan of Elucence now, though!)

I did recently buy the generic Sebastion Potion 9 and used it for the first time yesterday. I think I used a little much (had some crunch!) but I think I'll like it.

I also have a sample of the Aura something-bark conditioner, which is a generic of one of Aveda's conditioners. Haven't used it yet, but I will soon.

littlefish

tracyannette
01-27-2003, 01:21 AM
I also have a sample of the Aura something-bark conditioner, which is a generic of one of Aveda's conditioners. Haven't used it yet, but I will soon.

littlefish

Littlefish let me know about the aura cherry-almond bark reconstructive conditioner. I heard the raves and moans about aveda sap moss, but I wanted to try the aveda cherry almond bark. I usually don't by the generics, but If it works let me know.

I use a lot of sebastian products. I use the "wet", and then i bought the generic. The generic works well. I will probably keep buying the brand name, but they do work almost the same.

Shay_MSU
01-27-2003, 06:41 PM
My brother and I both love the generic of Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Special Shampoo. We have yet to try the conditioner. I have tried the "real" shampoo, and I think that the generic worksd just as well.

nappynic
01-27-2003, 07:05 PM
I do the no poo thing so I sometimes use the Sally's Generic version of Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Conditioner. I like it! I've used the original (which is a smidge better - more tingly), but the knock off is good too. The Aura products are very nice as well...

narcissaqtpie
01-27-2003, 07:27 PM
I use the Generic Version of Paul MItchell the conditioner. I have tried and compared the original and I must say that they both work great on my hair. but the Generic is $3.99-needless to say that it's what I buy. The Awapuhi and tea tree are comparable also.

I've used the Nexxus knockoff on my relaxed hair, but I have no desire to try it on my naps...

As for the generic, I usually try the "real" version first-normally the trial size, that way I can compare.

I have an Aveda Cherry bark trial size, I hope It works because I looove the smell, and the Aura one is much cheaper-so of course I will be buying that.

Inspired
01-27-2003, 07:32 PM
[I did recently buy the generic Sebastion Potion 9 and used it for the first time yesterday. I think I used a little much (had some crunch!) but I think I'll like it.

I used the Sebastain potion 9 too and I used too much. Someone suggested before that although the ingredients maybe exactly the same that the concetrations are different. So the generics are little bit more watery.

littlefish
01-27-2003, 10:04 PM
@tracyannette:

Came back to say that I finally tried the Aura Cherry Almond Bark conditioner for dry hair. I really like this a lot! And it smells so yummy -- like dessert!

I used to really dig the Suave Coconut but it hasn't been performing as well of late. This Aura may become my #2 conditioner after Elucence (I alternate between conditioners).

tracyannette
01-30-2003, 03:00 PM
thanks little fish :) When I get a chance, I will definitly try it.

:) Tracy

CEE26
01-30-2003, 03:07 PM
i have used the tea tree shampoo..knock off from paul mitchell

GalaxyGirl2010
01-30-2003, 03:51 PM
I wasnt able to find the aura products because I dont have a sally's near me. but last night i found some products called amenta that are aveda knocks off too. i got the cherry almond bark and the elixir leave in and both worked great (i had to test as soon as i got home :lol: )the elixir left me with great definition. I used a little too much of it (about a quarter size) and alot of it just sat on my hair as white frosting after it dried.
This morning i tried it again after washing with a dime size but that was still a little too much (less frosting though) but the results were still great

SheShe
01-30-2003, 06:45 PM
I've tried the Aura Elixir, and it worked pretty good. I also tried PM the Conditioner, and that worked good too.

@GalaxyGirl, I got the Amenta Elixir too, and it left me with a white head. I haven't tried it again after that. It made my hair soft though.

GalaxyGirl2010
01-30-2003, 07:17 PM
sheshe..does the aura leave with your head looking like the top of a ski slop too? :D Maybe Im just heavy handed with products. i found some store online that sells the aura stuff im going to order the pomade tomorrow.

lakise
01-31-2003, 02:58 AM
I use the generic Paul Mitchell Wax Works. It works really well when Ismoothing down my hair (4a) for my afro puff. :lol:

lakise
01-31-2003, 03:02 AM
I use the generic Paul Mitchell Wax Works. It works really well when Ismoothing down my hair (4a) for my afro puff. :lol:

Inspired
01-31-2003, 12:27 PM
I tried the exilir last night and I guess it worked pretty well. I had mine in a spray bottle which was bad because I couldn't saturate easily throughout the hair. I thought the consistency was watery but it was actually syrupy.

My hair was knida hard while it was wet. I'm not sure if it was the oil that I mixed with my conditioner or the exilir. I'll give it another shot.

GalaxyGirl2010
01-31-2003, 06:51 PM
I tried the exilir last night and I guess it worked pretty well. I had mine in a spray bottle which was bad because I couldn't saturate easily throughout the hair. I thought the consistency was watery but it was actually syrupy.

My hair was knida hard while it was wet. I'm not sure if it was the oil that I mixed with my conditioner or the exilir. I'll give it another shot.
actually i used a bit less than before (less than a dime size) and that helped with the white head and the hardness

Bronze Brown
02-01-2003, 01:57 AM
I used to use the knock-off of PM's Wax Works. At first I was in love with it, but the moderately greasy layer that it created, and the fact that my hair eventually shrivelled up into a frizzy, oily version of my 4a coils stopped me from buying it again. :?

D*Ja
02-01-2003, 11:10 PM

I have some of this, but never used it. Do you use it on wet or dry hair?

candigirl
02-02-2003, 09:21 PM
I've tried the generic version of Paul Mitchell Wax works, and it was a little to gooey for my tastes, but I'm going to try it again cause maybe I used to much. I also use Aura Rosemary Mint Rinse and I loooove it! I love the way my scalp feels cool and tingly from the rosemary and the peppermint oils, I'm a no pooer so it really gives my scalp a clean feeling that I felt like I was missing from using shampoo.

lakise
02-04-2003, 04:10 AM
[quote]

I use it on dry hair. Can't say it won't work on wet hair, I've never tried it.

ajargon
02-06-2003, 02:54 PM
:? I tried the Pm conditioner,I really wasn't all that impresed,however I really didn't care that I don't like it because it was only $5.That is the best way to see if your hair will like the product,before wasting the cash,plus ifyou don't like it,just swap with someone who wants to try it.Anyone want a generic bottle of pm conditioner? :lol:

Honeycomb
02-08-2003, 12:50 AM
I use the Potion 9 and like it pretty much, but I'm going to try the real Sebastian Potion 9 and see if there's any difference, once I'm finished with the Generic one.

Inspired
02-10-2003, 12:16 PM
The real sebastian Potion 9 is so good (at least to my hair)

I use it only on special occasions or when is really really dry!!

It's way too expensive!!!

I have to be careful with the generic one. If I put in too much I get crispy hair.

Keepitnatural
02-18-2003, 07:10 PM
I tried the Aura Cherry Alomond Bark Conditioner the knock off from Aveda and the smell was wonderful and it's a very good conditioner.

Alken41100
02-19-2003, 02:28 PM
I use the Paul Sebastian type "The Detangler" and it works just fine. I only use it on the hair in the back of my head, that is the only part that gets real tangled and I use my VO5 on the rest of my head.

PoetryIsMyPassion
04-14-2003, 01:03 AM
I was in Sally's today :lol: and I noticed the generic line. I saw a knockoff of Sebastian Wet and a knock off of many Paul Mitchell products including a Tea Tree Conditioner. A lot of these are $5 I was wondering if anyone uses them and if they're any good or should I spend the money and get the real deal........

I've used the Generic Sebastian Potion 9 and Nexxus Humetress and they work the same way as the original formulas they are just less expensive. I don't see in any major difference from either. I did notice like others here that if I use too much of the generic potion9 my hair comes out a tab crunchy but that's my doing not the product LOL. I say go for it.