PDA

View Full Version : Feeling hot, hot,hot! Seeking a good loc routine for hot environments

effie4050
09-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Hi all,

I live in the Caribbean, needless to say it is VERY hot! I also live a very active lifestyle.
I've only had dreads/locs for three months.

So here are my questions:
Can I wash my hair every week?
If yes, will I have to retwist every time I wash?
I suspect that is too much twisting, so after my weekly wash should I just let it go until my next three week twist or is that a bad idea as they may start meshing?
Will this schedule impede my locing process?

Any and all suggestions are very welcomed.

chachadiva
09-07-2010, 09:01 PM
Can I wash my hair every week? Yes, if you want to.
If yes, will I have to retwist every time I wash? Only if you want to.
I suspect that is too much twisting, so after my weekly wash should I just let it go until my next three week twist or is that a bad idea as they may start meshing? That's up to you. If you don't want them to mesh, just separate each lock whenever you wash.
Will this schedule impede my locing process? No. Your hair will lock given enough time.

effie4050
09-08-2010, 04:08 AM
Thanks a ton, Chachadiva!

Venetter
09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
You can try latching. That way you won't have to worry so much about retwisting after every wash.
I just started my locs via 2 strand twists (July 11) and latched 4 weeks later. I work out a lot and with rinsing/washing 2x a week I haven't experienced any unraveling.

Good luck with what you decide

KoilyLocGirl
09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Hi all,

I live in the Caribbean, needless to say it is VERY hot! (Lucky You!) I also live a very active lifestyle.
I've only had dreads/locs for three months.

So here are my questions:
Can I wash my hair every week? You can wash every day if you like (I love to do this)
If yes, will I have to retwist every time I wash? No, you do not have to re-twist every time. I washed daily during the summer and retwisted after 12 weeks.
I suspect that is too much twisting, so after my weekly wash should I just let it go until my next three week twist or is that a bad idea as they may start meshing? As Chacha said, you could pop your locs. That just means after washing you, separate them by pulling them apart from each other so that they do not mesh. Or you could freeform or semi-freeform.
Will this schedule impede my locing process? Be prepared for your locs to take anywhere from a couple of months to a couple of years to loc. I personally believe, the more you wash the quicker you loc. Twisting doesn't speed up the process IMO.

Any and all suggestions are very welcomed.

There you go!
Which island is blessed to have you?

effie4050
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Venteer, I did try latching, however since I have a dry scalp all types of things were getting caught up in it.

Koily Girl, oh, ok. I think the whole thing is that I might be a little misinformed. I thought the twisting is what prepped it to loc. Now that I know that's not the case I'll just let it flow. I actually like it better with some roots...makes it seem like I have a lot more hair than I have :)

THANKS ALL!