PDA

View Full Version : Help. My locs have gone from bad to worse

empresstigerlily
09-11-2010, 08:27 AM
My hair is seriously lacking moisture. Dry as hell. So yesterday I thought something had to be done. Did a bit of research here and saw essentials oils, ACVs, Paul Mitchell Three, coconut milk etc

Although had done a very diluted shampoo I got in and ACV'ed (half water half ACV)

I heated up some oil jojoba, cocnut, rosemary oils (2 drops) and added soem coconut milk. Smothered that onto my hair in the shower and put on a shower cap and towel for an hour.

Took off and ACV'ed. This time I used triple the amount of water to the amount of ACV. My hair is extremely dry now, my scalp feels a bit heavy and I am at my wits end

One positive is that the ACV has cleared up my scalp better than the prescribed shampoo firom my doctor. I usually suffer from dermatitis and would wash with the shampoo and would actually have flakey patches

I am going to go get some Paul Mitchell 3 as it is supposed to be a good clairifer and have a shampoo

Just a note: The 2 times my hair has felt unbelievably soft and healthy is after I put a Naturtint ebony black colour (it has added conditioner) and when I camped out in July :-S

Poetic_Blue
09-11-2010, 08:40 AM
It sounds like you're just doing too much. That's a lot of acv. If you're using it for your scalp then make sure its getting to and sitting on the scalp ( I use a dye application bottle) and chill out with the clarifying. Unless your hair just gets filthy all the time a normal shampoo or rinse should be fine. The shampoo the doctor gave you might be very drying hence your flakes. I follow up my tgel shampoo with some olive oil on any dry spots and on my locs. Not a lot just enough to seal in the moisture from the water. Good luck

empresstigerlily
09-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Okay so I guess I should shampoo/clarify and condition on one day and then do a hot oil treatment on another day

Trouble is I dont know what to condition my hair with

coalblacklocs
09-11-2010, 11:55 AM
does your hair usually not like too much protein? if so, I'd lay off the coconut milk, which has lots of protein in it. For some people it's great, but my locs never did like it, it made them feel brittle and kind of sticky and yet dry.

coalblacklocs
09-11-2010, 12:00 PM
I have dermititis too, and i highly suggest you use something to exfoliate your scalp with. Maybe a sugar scrub. Put some sugar in on your scalp and gently scrub. I use to use baking soda to do this, in my shampoo, but you have to follow the baking soda up with vinegar to restore the proper ph to your skin and hair.

make sure you rinse your hair. LONG rinses with very warm water. This gets the most stuff out of your locs and I found my locs to be the softest after I rinsed well.

I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you to conditon your hair with. I have hair that will twirl aloose if i condition it in locs, so I never did. but i could make them soft in other ways, mentioned above.

I also found vitamin E oil to always have a softening effect on my hair.

KnottyAuthor
09-11-2010, 12:53 PM
wash with a natural soap bar atleast once a month
1part ACV/3parts water rinse
AVG/hibiscus Tea condition
Seal with Castor oil and use Aloe vera juice spritzes-seal with Castor oil after spritzing

Maybe this will help

empresstigerlily
09-12-2010, 07:25 AM
wash with a natural soap bar atleast once a month
1part ACV/3parts water rinse
AVG/hibiscus Tea condition
Seal with Castor oil and use Aloe vera juice spritzes-seal with Castor oil after spritzing

Maybe this will help

Thanks

My hair and scalp didnt take very kindly to oils when I usually wore my hair in braids so I am not sure why I thought it would happen now

YuYu
10-27-2011, 02:57 PM
sounds like your hair did not like the protien you added to it. i would just to a regular moisturizing shampoo and if your locs are mature a diluted solution of regular conditioner and water. a light oil may be needed to hold in the moisture, you may not need the combo of oils you applied. sounds like that was too much.

Karibana
10-27-2011, 04:37 PM
Since you don't mention what your normal routine is I'm going to presume that your locs are probably suffering from product build up, an issue that could possibly explain your scalp issues as well. Best way to clear that up is by clarifying, either with a shampoo (easiest method IMO) or with an ACV rinse.

That said, even though I do advocate the use of clarifying shampoos as an easy way to prevent product build up, I only do it about once every six weeks or whenever my hair looks blah otherwise I'd have the same issues as you OP. Normally I use an SLS free shampoo for my twice a week washes. And I also do a coconut milk mixed with coconut oil treatment on my locs but only once a week and as a pre-poo.

I almost never do clarification session on it's own, it's usually followed by my coconut milk mix then I finish with my SLS free shampoo because my hair doesn't like having a ton of oil in it.

Since you live in London, might I suggest that you use glycerin as a humectant to your regimen. May as well take advantage of all that moisture in the air, my hair is at it's best during the wet seasons.

Natural Stylist
11-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Clarify your hair and scalp. Then do a deep condition. After that add lots of oil to your hair and scalp.