PDA

View Full Version : Dry, dry locs!

Morena1229
09-11-2010, 11:56 AM
Help please, my locs are very dry! I've had my locs for about 5 years now they are very dry. During these five years I've lived all over the world from Sweden to South America in varying climates so it seems like I am having to relearn how to take care of my hair on my own each time I move. I have tried hot towel treatments, hot oil treatments, changing shampoos, everything but it seems like 3 or 4 days after I shampoo my hair is starting to look dry. I am currently using the Kiehl's Olive Oil Shampoo and Conditioner along with the Carol's Daughter Loc Butter. I use olive, almond, or coconut butter ever couple of days to moisturize, but alas still dry dull looking hair.

Someone please give me some advice! I know I should probably go to a professional but I really need to learn this on my own as I normally live in places where I am the only one around with dreadlocs!! Thanks

Lockolatte
09-11-2010, 12:04 PM
Could it be that your hair has product build up? You can wash with acv (soak) or some use dish detergent to get all the years of product out.

KnottyAuthor
09-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Yup, clarify with an ACV rinse or detergent rinse-stay away from cloudy products. Castor oil is awesome for dry locks.

ashantigirl
09-12-2010, 04:50 AM
What about spraying your locks with water daily? That has really helped to moisturize my locs significantly. I add a few drops of jojoba oil, peppermint and rosemary oil.

Hope that helps
:)

IndividualME
09-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Well I am a bout to wash my grandmothers locs with Elucence Moisture Balancing Shampoo. I will condition it with Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner as well. Then I will put some leave in in her hair, and then twist with the Clear Ecostyler Gel. I told her that if I twist her hair, it won't be with the beeswax. I wanted to end with sealing the moisture with Olive Oil and Jojoba Oil mixed.

Any thoughts on this? I do not have any other types of Gel except Ecostyler Gel Black and Clear. I have Fantasia IC Gel (but since its being discontinued I do not want to use it). I also have the Curl Activator Gel. My grandmother has this idea that Gel is not good for your hair, but doesn't mind using Beeswax. I am trying to educate her that Gel isn't all that bad and its better to twist your hair with Gel than using Beeswax. I am assuming so lol. I see a lot of naturals use certain Gels in their hair because I actually thought the same thing a bout Gel. Okay anyway ladies I need your help with this PLEEASSSEE!!!

IndividualME
09-13-2010, 04:04 AM
Can someone help a sistah out lol?

Nikib4eva
09-13-2010, 04:45 AM
The gel sounds just fine...
some people don't even use product to start.
Beeswax may lead to build up so many of the loc-heads here don't use it. Just start them. Locs are very forgiving. The only way to not loc is to comb her hair so

Bejewelle
09-13-2010, 12:17 PM
The gel is fine - it washes out when you shampoo [although I'm not familiar with your brand]

Avoid beeswax at all cost - it'll cause nasty buildup in the long run that will be VERY hard and time-consuming to get rid of
:)

kenyislockin
09-13-2010, 09:46 PM
how long has your grandmother had locs?
i would not use Eluence MB on her locs in the beginning stages, i used that for my first wash and it caused my hair to unravel like nobody's business and that conditioner is too thick right now. that conditioner may cause some serious buildup. i would use something else lighter consistency. and use a light clarifying shampoo in the beginning stages of the loc process.

IndividualME
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
My grandmother has had locs maybe 5 or 6+ years I believe lol. I have washed her hair with the Elucence MB before and used the conditioner, but I have never twisted her hair before. Last week I did a couple to see if I could do it and I CAN. Its not hard at all lol.

Ok so using the Ecostyler Gel is okay right?

kenyislockin
09-14-2010, 12:02 AM
My grandmother has had locs maybe 5 or 6+ years I believe lol. I have washed her hair with the Elucence MB before and used the conditioner, but I have never twisted her hair before. Last week I did a couple to see if I could do it and I CAN. Its not hard at all lol.

Ok so using the Ecostyler Gel is okay right?

then the shampoo and conditioner should be cool then, but i would still dilute it since it is so concentratedl! i used ecostyler gel and it started to flake and cause buildup. if you can, is there a health food store or even a walmart near you? they have an aloe vera gel that would be great for twisting and it won't flake or cause buildup. but if that is all you have for now, it should be cool for the time being. a lot of people on youtube use it to retwist with.

IndividualME
09-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I can go get Aloe Vera Gel. They sell it right across the street from my job. Will it hold good?

I actually thought about purchasing this a few days ago.

IndividualME
09-17-2010, 05:08 AM
I went into Whole Foods today and picked up the 365 Aloe Vera Gel. The lady told me that Brand along with another brand is used for internal use. I questioned her confusingly a bout people drinking Gel lol. Anyway, although that made no sense to me she pointed me to the external Gels. I have the same brand for my Aloe Vera Juice. I picked up this brand because I saw Kimmaytube using this brand and another brand for her Conditioner so I figured one of these brands of the Gel would be good for locs as well.

I walked up to another person working there. He had locs and I asked him what he locked his hair with. He recommended me some Mango Butter type stuff. He said I can find it in my local Beauty Supply store or in CVS or Duane Reade. Anyway, has anyone heard a bout this and does it matter which Brand I use. This is the only thing that frustrates me a bout using products. I want to make sure I am using a pretty good product on my Grandmothers hair. I will be retwisting her hair on Saturday.

Which brands does everyone use? Is the 365 or another brand okay?

I tried sending this from my stupid phone and sigh....

Thanks

kenyislockin
09-17-2010, 05:44 AM
i use Fruit of The Earth Aloe Vera Gel. you can find it at Walmart. if that guy was talking about Jamaican Mango and Lime loc'ing gel then be careful with that stuff. i used it before and it was greasy and caused a lot of orange buildup in my hair. it works well for others though. i like the aloe vera gel because it is clear, holds well, and it rinses/washes out easily. put aloe vera gel has moisturizing properties in it as well. good for the scalp and hair.

NaturalgurlAZ
09-17-2010, 06:43 AM
I agree with Cheleski...clarify and use castor oil...it works wonders.
Or you can also try sunflower oil or hemp oil. I can't use any other oils but those three. The others just make my locs dry and crunchy and dull looking and I live where it is HOT and dry.

empresstigerlily
09-17-2010, 08:08 AM
What is your routine?

As we go into the autumn winter months in London my hair is crunching up

I was able to get my hair wet almost daily in the summer but in winter that is a big no no

I am wondering if a nice steaming session in the shower then lacing it with castor oil will help before I go out each day but I HATE the oily sticky feeling of oil on my hair. Plus my bf likes to put his head in my hair and ruffle it. I am also spending a couple of weeks skiing in the alps and hate having to shove my hair in a beanie

Can you please tell what products you use and HOW you apply them?

KnottyAuthor
09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
Water? It depends. Is your water hard? If it is, it's leaving mineral deposits on your hair, which can eat at your hair and make it dry and hard.

Do the SFS technique that I teach in my workshops
Soften-Aloe Vera Juice
Feed-A Nourishing Vegetable, lipid rich oil(olive oil)
Seal-Castor oil

I cant speak on those products bc Im into ingredients, like I just mentioned. It cuts down on the product junkism and unecessary toxins and chemicals thats in so many commercial products.

KnottyAuthor
09-17-2010, 01:14 PM
I noticed FOE gel was different than pure AVG that you can eat. If you notice dryness, it might be bc the preservative in it are alcohol based. I switched to an organic version bc the preservatives are healthy and 'edible' as opposed to carcinogenic.

*merged for similar content that could help OPs

kenyislockin
09-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I noticed FOE gel was different than pure AVG that you can eat. If you notice dryness, it might be bc the preservative in it are alcohol based. I switched to an organic version bc the preservatives are healthy and 'edible' as opposed to carcinogenic.

that's the reason why i buy it, easier to store and last longer, and i haven't noticed any dryness, but i rinse daily though. good looking out Cheleski68!

IndividualME
09-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Cheleski68, what do u recommend? 365 AVG?

IndividualME
09-17-2010, 07:11 PM
Cheleski68, what do u recommend? 365 AVG?

LilShortRib
09-18-2010, 01:59 AM
I just used Jamaican Black Castor Oil last week because I heard so many rave reviews about it. I mixed it with my aloe vera gel and used that mix to twist and palm roll my hair after I washed it. I my hair is soft and moisturized and I haven't had to put anything on it for several days to moisturize it. A little goes a long way, so I know my bottle will last for quite a long time. It was worth the money!

empresstigerlily
09-18-2010, 08:02 AM

How are the two contents similar? I am asking about hair conditioning/treatment in a certain type climate whilst the OP is focusing on gels to twist her grandmothers hair??

empresstigerlily
09-18-2010, 08:19 AM
I just used Jamaican Black Castor Oil last week because I heard so many rave reviews about it. I mixed it with my aloe vera gel and used that mix to twist and palm roll my hair after I washed it. I my hair is soft and moisturized and I haven't had to put anything on it for several days to moisturize it. A little goes a long way, so I know my bottle will last for quite a long time. It was worth the money!

I have heard loads about castor oil and have gone the oil route but dont know what I am doing wrong as I wash, sometimes condition and then when I put a dash of oil on my hands and slick it through each lock my hair just feels greasy :-S

I need something that will seal the water in when my hair is slightly damp because the wintery months are here in London

KnottyAuthor
09-18-2010, 11:53 AM
How are the two contents similar? I am asking about hair conditioning/treatment in a certain type climate whilst the OP is focusing on gels to twist her grandmothers hair??

Moisture/Dryness/Conditioning ... when the winter season comes a calling, these questions always come to the board. You could learn from the feedback in the first post to solve your similar problem which is nourishment to keep moisture in your hair. You stated that you did not like oils-well avg FEEDS your hair nourishment(the right kind) and sealing it in with an emollient would KEEP it in your hair. Your ques. may be worded differently; but it's ultimately the same issue: What to do about dry hair.hth

Specific answer to ingredients and How to Use them:

SFS©
Soften-The cuticle with AVJ or purified water
Feed-The cortex with nourishing oil
Seal-The cuticle with a heavy oil/emollient like castor oil

Any organic AVG that needs to be refrigerated is the best. Stay away from Benzoic Acid preservatives and look for Sodium Benzoate and Vit C that are in most refrigerated versions and you will be better off.

KnottyAuthor
09-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Try organic castor oil, not drug store grade and Chocolattes advice. I just use a quarter sized amount throughout my head.

Lockolatte
09-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I have heard loads about castor oil and have gone the oil route but dont know what I am doing wrong as I wash, sometimes condition and then when I put a dash of oil on my hands and slick it through each lock my hair just feels greasy :-S

I need something that will seal the water in when my hair is slightly damp because the wintery months are here in London

IMO this is way too much castor oil. All you need is a tiny amount for your whole head, not each lock. I rinse/wash my hair, put my hair back in a pony, then take a dime size of JBCO rub it in my hands and apply it to my ends first. Then I might put the oil that is left over on my hands on the length of my hair. You don't need a lot.8)

NeverGiveup
09-18-2010, 11:22 PM

You're saying your mature locs feel soft? I've been looking around and trying to get a sense of if I will have to give up the feel of soft hair to have locs. When people are talking about dry locs do they mean that when the locs are dry they feel coarser just like loose nappy hair?

effie4050
09-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Water? It depends. Is your water hard? If it is, it's leaving mineral deposits on your hair, which can eat at your hair and make it dry and hard.

Do the SFS technique© that I teach in my workshops
Soften-Aloe Vera Juice
Feed-A Nourishing Vegetable, lipid rich oil(olive oil)
Seal-Castor oil

I cant speak on those products bc Im into ingredients, like I just mentioned. It cuts down on the product junkism and unecessary toxins and chemicals thats in so many commercial products.

I have a question for you. Can you "feed" or "seal" the hair with cod liver oil?
I have a bottle of SevenSeas that I couldn't stand to swallow. It doesn't smell the best, but can it be used?

empresstigerlily
09-20-2010, 07:34 AM
IMO this is way too much castor oil. All you need is a tiny amount for your whole head, not each lock. I rinse/wash my hair, put my hair back in a pony, then take a dime size of JBCO rub it in my hands and apply it to my ends first. Then I might put the oil that is left over on my hands on the length of my hair. You don't need a lot.8)

Ahh ok will try that today. Ta

empresstigerlily
09-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Try organic castor oil, not drug store grade.

Yeah will try this too. Aargh. Desperate times

GorgeousKinkz
10-09-2010, 12:15 PM
*buuuuuuuuuump*

thefineprint
10-10-2010, 05:17 PM
but how do you use the aloe vera juice? do you leave it in or rinse it out?

straightnochaser
10-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I have been locking for almost ten years and I am still looking for the holy grail of products. What seems to work is sulfate-free shampoo and olive oil. Be aware that some sulfate-free shampoos are drying, so it may take time to find one that's right for you.

LilShortRib
10-11-2010, 02:17 AM

I agree that you are using too much. I used too much the first time I mixed it in with my aloe vera. I used the same amount I probably would have with any other oil, but I think because it's so thick you really don't need much at all. You may want to mix the oil in with something else in a bowl first (water, aloe, etc.) and then distribute it through your hair.

You're saying your mature locs feel soft? I've been looking around and trying to get a sense of if I will have to give up the feel of soft hair to have locs. When people are talking about dry locs do they mean that when the locs are dry they feel coarser just like loose nappy hair?
Sorry I missed this.

My locs feel soft as in they don't feel rough and coarse. I think many times once locs mature they feel 'hard' and not 'spongy' because the hair has compacted. But I am saying my hair was dry and thirsty, and now that I have used jbco, my hair doesn't feel and look thirsty anymore. So I guess the answer to your question is yes...

Himmy
10-11-2010, 08:59 PM
but how do you use the aloe vera juice? do you leave it in or rinse it out?

I use it in my spritz after I wash my locz. I'll spritz my babies with a mixture of aloe vera juice, coconut oil, jojoba oil and spring water (I don't rinse afterward). My babies really, really love the combination.

OP, I do a hot oil treatment everytime I wash my hair. For some...oil doesn't work...for me my babies can not do with out it. My hair stays soft for days....

empresstigerlily
10-11-2010, 09:43 PM
One thing I have just ordered is a shower filter. I have been meaning to do this for a whole year as I feel the quality of the London water affects my hair and skin

I am also going to try a penetrative hot oil treatment

nexus
10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Where did you get yours from empresstigerlilly? I've been looking for one of those

KnottyAuthor
10-20-2010, 01:10 AM
wash with a glycerine based natural soap bar that infuses moisture naturally into your hair. Ive washed with nothing but that for 3yrs now. Mosty African Black Soap

empresstigerlily
11-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Where did you get yours from empresstigerlilly? I've been looking for one of those

Hey

Sorry just seen this. I ordered it from www.pureshowers.co.uk

I got the adaptor which was a bit of a mistake as it is a bit fiddly.

MsNaturalDee
11-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Question: I have naturally thick hair. I live in the Caribbean where is mostly hot. Would it affect my hair much if I cleanse and retwist weekly? My hair also grows out pretty fast.

chanel1979
11-23-2010, 10:12 PM
you should try cleo cartel's doctor locks...look on www.yummigoodz.com
her products are all natural and it is the TRUTH!!! Let me know what you think...also stay away from products that have beeswax and alot of chemicals..always stay natural.

GorgeousKinkz
12-02-2010, 12:36 AM
*buuuuuump*

i am actually considering taking down my locs because of the dryness. they refuse to retain moisture. a deep conditioner did not really work. castor oil does not work. any other suggestions? TIA

effie4050
12-05-2010, 06:14 AM
It could also be diet. I find that when I am taking care of myself, my hair needs little maintainance. If I'm going crazy eating junk and not drinking a lot of water, no matter how much oil or daily spritzes I put in it it dries out and my scalp is a mess. I'm not a doctor, but I've seen a correlation.

Venetter
12-06-2010, 02:11 PM
*buuuuuump*

i am actually considering taking down my locs because of the dryness. they refuse to retain moisture. a deep conditioner did not really work. castor oil does not work. any other suggestions? TIA

Hey, just checked your blog. You're only a few months in so maybe it will still take some trial and error to see what works for your hair. I'm about 2.5 months in and I usually moisturize with coconut oil. Yeah, sometimes they feel dry, but I'm trying to be patient to find what works. I tried castor oil, but didn't like the results. I will try a water/glycerin spritz w/some oil next. I know what's said about glycerin in colder weather, but a blog on the Oyin website made me feel a bit more comfortable about it - of course they're trying to sell stuff too, but I'll still try some homemade spritz.

I wash 1x a week with herbal essences clarifying shampoo and acv about 1x a month. I don't use conditioner.
Stay encouraged. You're still early in the journey. :)

Denny
12-06-2010, 03:26 PM
*buuuuuump*

If you are a newbie you hair could be getting used to the process give it some more time. BTW how is your diet/water intake? How often do you spritz, what are you washing your hair with? Tried any hot oil treatments? Locing can be trial and error till you find what works. Your hair will not be as 'greasy' as when it was permed. Just checked your blog does Tresemme contain alcohol? That dries the hair as well. You could also be sensitve to products that contain SLS - another drying factor.

GorgeousKinkz
12-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Hey, just checked your blog. You're only a few months in so maybe it will still take some trial and error to see what works for your hair. I'm about 2.5 months in and I usually moisturize with coconut oil. Yeah, sometimes they feel dry, but I'm trying to be patient to find what works. I tried castor oil, but didn't like the results. I will try a water/glycerin spritz w/some oil next. I know what's said about glycerin in colder weather, but a blog on the Oyin website made me feel a bit more comfortable about it - of course they're trying to sell stuff too, but I'll still try some homemade spritz.

I wash 1x a week with herbal essences clarifying shampoo and acv about 1x a month. I don't use conditioner.
Stay encouraged. You're still early in the journey. :)

If you are a newbie you hair could be getting used to the process give it some more time. BTW how is your diet/water intake? How often do you spritz, what are you washing your hair with? Tried any hot oil treatments? Locing can be trial and error till you find what works. Your hair will not be as 'greasy' as when it was permed. Just checked your blog does Tresemme contain alcohol? That dries the hair as well. You could also be sensitve to products that contain SLS - another drying factor.

Thanks guys. I decided to calm down and stick with it. Going to switch up my products and see how it goes. Denny, Tresemme does contain alcohol.. I think I will need to make this my summer product because it works well then but isn't doing anything for me now. I'll try the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Shampoo and a hot oil treatment with more spritzing.

Denny
12-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys. I decided to calm down and stick with it. Going to switch up my products and see how it goes. Denny, Tresemme does contain alcohol.. I think I will need to make this my summer product because it works well then but isn't doing anything for me now. I'll try the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Shampoo and a hot oil treatment with more spritzing.

Yep sometimes hair needs a separate winter regimen especially in the British winter that chills ya bones! :D All you still have snow up there?

GorgeousKinkz
12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Yep sometimes hair needs a separate winter regimen especially in the British winter that chills ya bones! :D All you still have snow up there?

Cool... Hmm. I barely figured out my summer regimen, now I gotta figure out a winter one? Oy vey LOL.

We still have snow. The pavements don't have snow anymore.. they have ICE. It's ridiculous. Can't wait to go on holiday to sunny Ghana :)

sacrificeone
03-06-2011, 02:23 PM
Hey Himmy!!!

Question, do you need to put a preservative in this spritz
and do you spritz daily or just weekly?

I had been using a braid sheen spray as I believe my hair likes to be moisturized regularly. However, the spray had a lil too much protien. so I would then use it e'ry other day. I decided that I want to use as much natural products as I can, so I purchased some AVJ and castor oil and tea tree oil. Just haven't used it yet because I just retwisted on Thursday and kinda wanted to make sure it "set".

the problem I am having is that I think the eco styler gel I am using is causing my itches, so I am also thinking about using AVG to do my retwist - I was seriously considering using it mixed with shea butter so it will not look too dry.

I know that less is more - just trying to figure out what my less will consist of...

as always THANKS for any advise!!

:D

I use it in my spritz after I wash my locz. I'll spritz my babies with a mixture of aloe vera juice, coconut oil, jojoba oil and spring water (I don't rinse afterward). My babies really, really love the combination.

OP, I do a hot oil treatment everytime I wash my hair. For some...oil doesn't work...for me my babies can not do with out it. My hair stays soft for days....

empresstigerlily
03-07-2011, 10:55 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures

My hair is so dry at the moment. I have really tried everything and have pretty much reached the end of my tether. When I am in a hot climate my hair, skin etc are fine but when I return to London I am like a walking reptile with a birds nest on her head

Problem is my hair is growing like weeds but I just cannot figure out a way of retaining any moisture

I have tried

jojoba w water spritzes
coating when damp with castor oil or aloe vera gel

I even washed with bicarb of soda for a bit to avoid the drying effects of shampoo

My hair obv loves water as it soaks it up but i simply cannot drench it in water everyday especially with the drying times involved

it has gotten to the point where friends are curious and want to feel my hair and i would find it embarassing to let them touch it

I am currently considering possibly letting them go and just having braids and cornrow extensions put into my hair instead. Maybe I am thinking crazily because I am tired and upset

Yams
03-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Don't give up yet please, especially since you say that you're hair is growing like weeds and it only seems to be when you're in the cold a** weather. I can understand how frustrating it must be though trying different things and nothing seems to be working but I'm confident if you stick it out you can find a way to combat the dryness. Jojoba may be too light, castor may be too heavy...baking soda (bicarb of soda)....that is usually added to shampoos for extra clarifying I think, not to avoid the drying effects of shampoo.

Maybe oils just aren't your thing. Have you tried sealing with a butter? Or using a leave in conditioner then sealing?

empresstigerlily
04-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Don't give up yet please, especially since you say that you're hair is growing like weeds and it only seems to be when you're in the cold a** weather. I can understand how frustrating it must be though trying different things and nothing seems to be working but I'm confident if you stick it out you can find a way to combat the dryness. Jojoba may be too light, castor may be too heavy...baking soda (bicarb of soda)....that is usually added to shampoos for extra clarifying I think, not to avoid the drying effects of shampoo.

Maybe oils just aren't your thing. Have you tried sealing with a butter? Or using a leave in conditioner then sealing?

Still experimenting

The London hard water is a big contributor I think

By the way that was just crazy talk due to a lack of sleep

erikanatural22
04-19-2011, 07:27 PM
If nothing is working then look at your DIET. Do you drink enough water? Do you eat fruits and veggies? Are you getting your vitamins? You hair thrives on the nutrition you put into your body :-) Always remember that and good luck <3

http://emptylocket03.blogspot.com

bajansensation
04-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Also you can try a filter to eliminate the hard water problem

erikanatural22
06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Have u considered your diet? If you don't eat vegetables, fruits and other WHOLE/minimally processed or unprocessed foods then your hair isn't getting enough nutrients. I know from experience. Healthier diet=healthier hair.

I'm eating like crap right now since I've been so busy and my hair has become dry. Also would suggest a spritz with rosemary oil and diluted water...that should help you out a lot. :-)

http://emptylocket03.blogspot.com

proudnappy22
06-24-2011, 06:24 PM
I've had my starter locs in for a few days. I used Jamaican mango and lime twist gel. They are holding fine but now my scalp itches like crazy, I know i'm not supposed to scratch, so I'm wondering what can I use to ease the itching and what's a good moisturizing routine?

Himmy
06-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey Himmy!!!

Question, do you need to put a preservative in this spritz
and do you spritz daily or just weekly?

I had been using a braid sheen spray as I believe my hair likes to be moisturized regularly. However, the spray had a lil too much protien. so I would then use it e'ry other day. I decided that I want to use as much natural products as I can, so I purchased some AVJ and castor oil and tea tree oil. Just haven't used it yet because I just retwisted on Thursday and kinda wanted to make sure it "set".

the problem I am having is that I think the eco styler gel I am using is causing my itches, so I am also thinking about using AVG to do my retwist - I was seriously considering using it mixed with shea butter so it will not look too dry.

I know that less is more - just trying to figure out what my less will consist of...

as always THANKS for any advise!!

:D

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for not responding to this message like 3 months ago. Didn't notice it here....

Just in case Lady Sacrificeone is still interested or just in case anyone else is interested:

Whether to spritz daily or weekly is entirely up to your babies. Listen to them...they will tell you what they want. I had to stop doing water/aloe vera juice spritzes because my hair is prone to frizzing. My hair didn't handle it well...and it caused my hair to dry out.

If you're going to use anything in your spritz that is prone to souring...like aloe vera juice (at least mine did) a preservative is definitely the way to go (unless you keep the spritz in the frig.). A good preservative is vitamin E. It's natural and chemical free. Can't beat that. You can just add a couple of drops to your bottle. If you want to go real cheap like me (cuz vitamin E can be expensive) add sweet almond oil. SAO contains vitamin E naturally and works the same.

Caution with the shea butter sis. I use it on occasions to do my hot oil treatments...but I clarify A LOT! Shea butter could eventually cause major build up. Try using sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or olive oil to mix it with your aloe vera gel.

Himmy
06-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I've had my starter locs in for a few days. I used Jamaican mango and lime twist gel. They are holding fine but now my scalp itches like crazy, I know i'm not supposed to scratch, so I'm wondering what can I use to ease the itching and what's a good moisturizing routine?

It really could be the JML gel you're using. It causes probably 8 out of 10 people to itch (including myself). Pull up a search regarding that stuff here on the site and you will find most of us suffered an allergic reaction from it. You'll probably just have to wash it out and start all over again. As long as the gel was in my hair, I broke out and itched.

For moisturizing...I wash my hair and add jojoba oil. Some people do daily water spritzes. You can try that and see if it works for you. Add a few drops of oil (jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, melted coconut oil) to your spritz. Good luck!

Vavoon
06-27-2011, 07:32 PM
my locs are so brittle pad status! :(

i had a hot oil treatment with jojoba.
i drink plently of water and have a "healthy" diet
i exercise (not sure if this could have an effect over the moisture in hair)
i dont use heavy products at all. i retwist with jojoba oil.

the only possible thing i could think of is the summer. its blazing out here now.

Bklyn78
06-28-2011, 05:21 PM
^^^glycerin is my new friend. Give it a try

sacrificeone
07-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Thanks Sweets!!!

Been using Infusium since it's gotten hot!
Using ORS loc gel - it smells like watermelon!
My hair does have a tendency to get FRIZZY!
I found once I ACV'd my hair responds better!! I wanna do a hot oil treatment - my hair is LOCKED fully - and I'm super excited about that!

I need to come here more often and do more research!
*ugh* I been SUPER LAZY!!

love yall!!

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry for not responding to this message like 3 months ago. Didn't notice it here....

Just in case Lady Sacrificeone is still interested or just in case anyone else is interested:

Whether to spritz daily or weekly is entirely up to your babies. Listen to them...they will tell you what they want. I had to stop doing water/aloe vera juice spritzes because my hair is prone to frizzing. My hair didn't handle it well...and it caused my hair to dry out.

If you're going to use anything in your spritz that is prone to souring...like aloe vera juice (at least mine did) a preservative is definitely the way to go (unless you keep the spritz in the frig.). A good preservative is vitamin E. It's natural and chemical free. Can't beat that. You can just add a couple of drops to your bottle. If you want to go real cheap like me (cuz vitamin E can be expensive) add sweet almond oil. SAO contains vitamin E naturally and works the same.

Caution with the shea butter sis. I use it on occasions to do my hot oil treatments...but I clarify A LOT! Shea butter could eventually cause major build up. Try using sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, or olive oil to mix it with your aloe vera gel.

Renecia
07-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi KnottyAuthor,

My locks are approaching 7 years and I have always had an issue with dryness. Could be negligence on my part as well.

I have an aloe vera plant growing and I don't use it.

I would like to try the SFC technique you mentioned.

How often should I soften with aloe vera gel? Can I blend the plant gel with distilled water?

How often should I nourish with the oil? Should this be done after softening?

When should i apply the castor oil?

virgogirl
07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
I'm a loc newbie and my hair has been SUPER dry since the first time I washed it after I started my loc journey. I've been natural for over 6 years and I knew how to care for my loose hair but this is something totally different! I was told not to use conditioner during this stage so my twists won't unravel so that's not helping. My hair loves butter but I've been avoiding those bc of the buildup. I've been misting my hair with a conditioning spray and using an oil blend and my hair STILL seems dry. I was thinking maybe it's the mango and lime twist gel that I'm using. Has anyone else experienced drying with it? I was thinking of perhaps adding a lil oil to it when I twist my hair... Is that ok? Please help and thanks!

KnottyAuthor
07-11-2011, 05:22 PM
This is the method..*if you have any specific questions, pls inbox me for a quicker response.

Moisture/Dryness/Conditioning ... when the winter season comes a calling, these questions always come to the board. You could learn from the feedback in the first post to solve your similar problem which is nourishment to keep moisture in your hair. You stated that you did not like oils-well avg FEEDS your hair nourishment(the right kind) and sealing it in with an emollient would KEEP it in your hair. Your ques. may be worded differently; but it's ultimately the same issue: What to do about dry hair.hth

Specific answer to ingredients and How to Use them:

SFS©
Soften-The cuticle with AVJ or purified water(yes, u can mix, but water has to be purified, no tap(distillates and mineral deposits)
Feed-The cortex with nourishing oil(tsp in AVJ mix with drops)essential oils
Seal-The cuticle with a heavy oil/emollient like castor oil

Frequency is up to you. Twice a day can do it until moisture retention achieved, then every other day..for maintenance

Any organic AVG that needs to be refrigerated is the best. Stay away from Benzoic Acid preservatives and look for Sodium Benzoate and Vit C that are in most refrigerated versions and you will be better off.

browncoco
09-23-2011, 02:17 AM
I'm a loc newbie and my hair has been SUPER dry since the first time I washed it after I started my loc journey. I've been natural for over 6 years and I knew how to care for my loose hair but this is something totally different! I was told not to use conditioner during this stage so my twists won't unravel so that's not helping. My hair loves butter but I've been avoiding those bc of the buildup. I've been misting my hair with a conditioning spray and using an oil blend and my hair STILL seems dry. I was thinking maybe it's the mango and lime twist gel that I'm using. Has anyone else experienced drying with it? I was thinking of perhaps adding a lil oil to it when I twist my hair... Is that ok? Please help and thanks!

Yea its the same thing with me excalty

thefineprint
09-24-2011, 02:53 PM
I remember when I was having dryness issues . This thread and others on the board really helped cure them! For me, it was important to first strip the hair of any old product, oil or buildup. I did this with the baking soda/acv/lemon juice/sea salt tutorial going around on the board that chescaleigh created. it was amazing! I shampooed with very diluted dr. Bronners soap which further deep cleansed. then, the thing that made the most difference was the use of Jamaican black castor oil and aloe Vera gel! That was over a week ago and my hair still feels amazing! Those two products are my new 2 staples. I ordered the Jamaican black castor oil from amazon and it took only 3 days to arrive standard shipping. I see a huge difference between it and standard castor oil.

puddin2day
09-27-2011, 08:26 PM
I use one part rose water and one part vegetable glycerin. My locs and my scalp feels great.

SilverLotusGirl
12-12-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm coming up on my first winter with locs and all of me is prone to dryness in winter. My skin is loving shea butter and my loose hair loved olive/corn oil mixes for the winter and whipped shea butter. How likely is whipped shea butter mixed with some other oils to cause buildup?

Denny
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
I think shea butter plus locs = buildup or at least great potential for buildup
Why not use the oils without the butter?

KnottyAuthor
12-15-2011, 01:14 AM
I have to agree totally with Denny-shea butter and whipped anything would be a formula for build up 2/3 yrs down the line. With locking, you get to let go of the product mentality and learn that less is more and that less is enough! :) Save it for your skin! My skin loves it too-but your locks will not.

creativity
12-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Regular castor oil has helped me so much. Just washed my locs last night and applied castor oil while damp. My hair likes it very much.

SilverLotusGirl
12-17-2011, 05:20 AM
So castor oil in the winter isn't going to have the moisture in my hair sucked out into dryer winter air?

thefineprint
12-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I took the advice of so many ladies here and created a spritz of water (about 70-80% of the mix is water) aloe vera juice, glycerin, castor oil, jojoba oil and coconut oil to use after a warm shower every few days. my locks have been so soft ever since

teendoc
02-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I need a little guidance. I've worn locs for ages. I think it was 1997 that I started locing, so my locs are mature. Unfortunately I've noticed in the past year that my locs are increasingly dry and brittle. I have had major breakage at the crown. By the time I lost around 10 locs, I started to try to see if I could figure out what the problem was.

First I thought it was not going to the loctician as regularly as in the past. Next I thought it could be more frequent coloring of the roots-3-4 times a year (attempting to cover the gray). But now I think it is something else. No matter what I do or use, within a week of shampooing, conditioning and twisting, the locs start to feel hard and "crispy."

I've been using what I thought were good products. To cleanse, I have used various shampoos like Jane Carter's sulfate free formula, Carols Daughter's new Monoi Oil Shampoo and Darcy's Botanicals cleansing cream. I condition with Oyin's Honey Hemp conditioner sometimes mixed with the Monoi conditioner. And for twisting I use Oyin's sugar berries pomade mixed with their whipped pudding. I've also used Jane Carter's loc twisting cream as well.

I think I have a ton of good products in the line-up but my locs are getting brittle and dry very easily. Should I try olive oil treatments or other remedy? Would you suggest product changes? I'm just not sure what to do.

Thanks in advance!

Denny
02-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Could be the colouring, you might have to cut down on that if you are using permanent colours. How often do you do hot oil treatments, what is your water intake and diet like? If you are using the same products and getting the dry results seems a change up might be in order as well, tho these seem like good products to me.

teendoc
02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Hi Denny,

It has been a good while since my last color, but I do recognize that this might be an issue. I've got no color scheduled any time soon since it really doesn't help too much with the gray anyway. Those little suckers still come up around the hairline and don't absorb the color very well at all.

And truth is I almost never do hot oil treatments. When I more diligent in going to the loctician, the locs never seemed to need it. In about 15 years of loc'ing, I've only had maybe 10 hot oil treatments.

But last year I developed a lot of health problems due to lung disease. I ended up on high dose steroids for most of the year. And though I stopped the steroids in December, they seemed to have pushed up my blood pressure requiring medication that I hope to get off in time. So I don't know if the steroids or the illness played a role as well. That's why I'm trying to figure out how best to repair this damage.

Water intake and diet are fine. Thanks for the reply.

Cbeandelight
03-09-2012, 05:25 AM
where do you buy the good organic essential oils?

Denny
03-09-2012, 12:59 PM
But last year I developed a lot of health problems due to lung disease. I ended up on high dose steroids for most of the year. And though I stopped the steroids in December, they seemed to have pushed up my blood pressure requiring medication that I hope to get off in time. So I don't know if the steroids or the illness played a role as well. That's why I'm trying to figure out how best to repair this damage.

Water intake and diet are fine. Thanks for the reply.

This might be the cause - steriods can be damaging for hair. Most people I know that have to take them end up with hair problem. Perhaps its time to introduce hot oil treatments into your schedule. No harm in trying, hope it works.

samchat123
03-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Not sure if this has been suggested, but try washing your hair with a really good clarifying shampoo, something like neutrogena (sp) anti-residue; to remove all products that may be coating the hair, rinse thoroughly, then saturate your hair with rose water and let it air dry or do a braid out. lightly mist it a couple of times a day with the rose water and you will notice a difference. This works better than anything I've tried. Castor oil does work, but leaves my hair feeling dry and hard the next day. Rosewater is really cheap at the indian store, less than $2 a bottle.

temari
05-29-2012, 02:35 AM
I too have had extremely dry hair lately. I have done acv rinses, water spritz, clarifying shampoos and I am a olive oil fool lol. I've even tried drinking extra water. Any other suggestions?

quotidianlight
08-27-2012, 09:15 PM
I too have had extremely dry hair lately. I have done acv rinses, water spritz, clarifying shampoos and i am a olive oil fool lol. I've even tried drinking extra water. Any other suggestions?

Of the items you listed all of them can be drying with the exception of water if it is sealed with oil properly. While Olive oil does penetrate the hair, it acts as a strengthener, nutrient and sealant, not a moisturizer.

I highly recommend a good water based (not oil based) conditioner after shampooing followed with a lighter less protein rich oil like jojoba or Argan. Here is a link to a post I wrote about conditioning locs (http://locdglory.com/blog/2011/10/12/conditioner-on-locs-and-dreadlocks.html) my blog.

coalblacklocs
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Could anyone suggest a good conditioner that is easy to dilute, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and a kidney (like, less than $10 a bottle--strict budget college student here), that can be found in most stores (living in the middle of southcentral Nowhere, VA) that I can use?

My hair has closed pores, and repels most oils. All I use to need was aloe juice and sealed with castor oil, but now that my locs are 2 years old and more mature and it's winter, they are seeming to be rather crispy lately.

I tried using Treseme conditioner and my hair was really loving that, but I notice some build up and it seems like it doesn't dilute well. I pulled out my big guns to get the build up out (afraid to say here exactly what my Big Guns are, i might get a whipping) , and it worked, but now my locs are dry and I don't know what to put on them that won't cause build up.

coalblacklocs
12-05-2012, 04:03 PM
oh, and I have always hated the smothering feel of glycerin based products on my skin. It sits on top of my hair and gets on everything my hair touches, my face, my neck and hands, and it just gives this horrible smothered coated feel and I hate it...I guess I am willing to give it one more try, because I've never tried it on locs this mature, maybe they would soak it in a little better, but I was really hoping for some sort of easy-to-find-and-pay-for conditioner.

bebedee
12-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Might adding a very light oil to a bottle of diluted Suave conditioner work for you?

If there is a Trader Joe's somewhere in your vicinity, I love their NourishSpa conditioner. I haven't noticed any buildup from it, and it's pretty cheap, under $4.

coalblacklocs
12-05-2012, 07:18 PM
I have some suave conditioner. Would I dilute that then add the oil? My hair doesn't accept many things easily, and it kinda.....laughs at suave conditioner. I mean, it does work a little bit. I guess it's worth a try.

It really bums me out that treseme caused buildup, because my hair really was accepting it and loving it. Maybe i'll try one more time at diluting it some more. I went and got some glycerin too, so I'll do some experimenting.

I would be ok with ordering a conditioner, I just can't see myself spending $20+ on a conditioner, once you add in the shipping. My mama ain't raise me that way. She raised me cheap. )8-|

There is no trader joe's around here, but if it's a conditoner that's under $10, and it has really good reviews from other coarse/closed cuticle loced nappies, I'm willing to order some.

mehogeni
12-06-2012, 01:09 AM
^^ How about Infusium23?? I've heard it works great with dreadlocked hair :)

coalblacklocs
12-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Hm, I've heard of that. I'll look for some.

Right now, I tried diluting a tiny bit of treseme conditioner in a spray bottle of aloe juice, then I sealed with a mixture of mainly castor oil mixed with a little bit of glycerine. It doesn't have that smothered feeling and is keeping the moisture in ok so far. Not the best, (it was much better when i used a bit more conditioner) but better than it was.

deecoily
05-28-2014, 01:39 AM
There are some great suggestions here, still relevant today - This thread will be left pinned indefinitely to be able to help others.

Meanwhile I will add that never use glycerin on locs. Your locs will feel moisturized for a short time, before drying out badly. Glycerin draws moisture to itself and if it can't find that moisture in its environment eg: humidity, surface water, it will pull moisture out of your hair to itself.

And, steamers are the best thing ever. Get one.

rootsbynature
07-27-2019, 09:52 PM
Water, Jojoba oil, followed by a few drops of peppermint oil!

(This is actually my favorite combination!)