PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find what ethnicity i am..

SarahJ
09-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I know im african american but im curious if im any other race.
i dont know what races my biological parents were since i was adopted,is there any test or way i could find out what race/background i am.?

GalaxyGirl2012
09-22-2010, 10:15 PM
well there isnt a ethnic dna test per se since there is very little genetic differences between ethnicities.

the only thing they would be able to do is trace your mitochondrial dna (what you get from your mother's side) to see what matches.

but know there is no test that will tell you you are 50% thins, 25% that, 10% this, 15% that

Mrs. Verde
09-25-2010, 03:26 AM
I saw a PBS program with Henry Louis Gates, "The Faces of America". Different "celebs" had their DNA tested to determine their ethnic makeup. I'm not sure how much it costs, but the test is now available to the public. See the link below and good luck.

http://www.africandna.com/about.aspx

Fuzziwuz
09-25-2010, 04:25 AM
I know im african american but im curious if im any other race.
i dont know what races my biological parents were since i was adopted,is there any test or way i could find out what race/background i am.?

Either take a genetic dna test, or wait till you're 19 where the adoption agency or adoptive parents can reveal your birth parents and/or ethnicity.

Fedyfro
09-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Family Tree DNA (ftdna.com) has a new test called Family Finder for close genealogy. It will give you information from both sides and it is based on autosomal (sp) DNA. If you are related to anyone in their database up to 6 generations they will let you know (note no one knows how big their database is). I have not received my results yet. I will report back in a month or so.

Ancestry BY DNA gives percentages (Caucasian, Asian, Native American, Sub Saharan African). You can Google them.

canarsiechik88
09-28-2010, 02:51 PM
Does your parents know who are your biological parents are?

SarahJ
09-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Nope,my adoptive parents dont know who my biological parents are.It was a closed adoption,sadly.*

canarsiechik88
09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Like one of the above posters said, depending on what state you live in, you could trace who adopted you since you are the adoptee and they can give you the information, not too sure if it's age restricted.

Contact the Children services of your state-have you lived in alaska all your life?

SarahJ
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
I wish I could do that,but I dont have my birth mothers last name,when I was adopted my last name was changed.so I wouldnt be finding my family,I would be finding my adoptive parents families.

Family Tree DNA (ftdna.com) has a new test called Family Finder for close genealogy. It will give you information from both sides and it is based on autosomal (sp) DNA. If you are related to anyone in their database up to 6 generations they will let you know (note no one knows how big their database is). I have not received my results yet. I will report back in a month or so.

Ancestry BY DNA gives percentages (Caucasian, Asian, Native American, Sub Saharan African). You can Google them.

Fedyfro
09-28-2010, 05:08 PM
No you would be swabbing your cheek and sending in your sample. Whoever had the same mutations as you would be considered genetic matches.

Fedyfro
09-28-2010, 05:11 PM
I assumed you were responding to my comments based on the quote. Perhaps not.

canarsiechik88
09-28-2010, 05:11 PM
I wish I could do that,but I dont have my birth mothers last name,when I was adopted my last name was changed.so I wouldnt be finding my family,I would be finding my adoptive parents families.
Not really, From what I got from this website (http://family.findlaw.com/adoption/adoption-types/open-adoption-comparison.html), closed adoptions means that you there is no contact between the birth parents and the adoptive parents.

BUT THAT doesn't mean the files are sealed and lost in the system. If you could find the adoptive service agency that was in charged of your adoption, that may be a start. And does your parents know what was your original last name?

ETA, files are sealed but i think since you are the adoptee and you want information, you can get the info.

SarahJ
09-28-2010, 05:24 PM
My parents dont know anything about my birth mom or dad.
but im sure when i reach 18,I'll be able to get into files to find my mom,and hope she wants to start a relationship with me.but you never know how shell respond/react.

canarsiechik88
09-28-2010, 05:27 PM
My parents dont know anything about my birth mom or dad.
but im sure when i reach 18,I'll be able to get into files to find my mom,and hope she wants to start a relationship with me.but you never know how shell respond/react.
I feel you, cause yeah it would be hard to find what ethnicity are you through "testing" without knowing the family's information.

Could they change the last name without knowing the child's original last name?

SarahJ
09-28-2010, 09:04 PM
I feel you, cause yeah it would be hard to find what ethnicity are you through "testing" without knowing the family's information.

Could they change the last name without knowing the child's original last name?

I have no clue about that to be honest.and hopefully a miracle will happen and ill find out my ethnicity etc.lol

canarsiechik88
10-08-2010, 03:21 PM
I have no clue about that to be honest.and hopefully a miracle will happen and ill find out my ethnicity etc.lol
try to ask your parents for your original last name.

SarahJ
10-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Already tried to ask questions about my birth mom but all my mom said was she cant tell me anything until im eighteen.*

canarsiechik88
10-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Already tried to ask questions about my birth mom but all my mom said was she cant tell me anything until im eighteen.*
interesting... I never knew the true diff from telling someone at 16 then 18???? *kanye shrug* but hey that's their rules

Sinamin2
10-08-2010, 08:34 PM
SarahJ... I am 52 now and I know exactlly how you feel. One thing I want to say, is just make sure you are parpered to never find out, just in case you may have to live with that fact like I'm doing. Don't get me wrong, I am wishing you the best. But sometimes these situations can get the best of you and consume your life in a big way. Just remember everything in life is mind over mater. And just be mentally prepared just in case everything you try comes to a dead end. Really it's who we are today that really matters. I've lived all these years without knowing who my father is. And the funny thing is I grew up in several different foster homeS, wasn't lucky enough to have someone adopt me. On top of that I knew my blood family, but it was like it was some kind of family secret not to tell me. But still I made somethig of myself. But I saw how it tore some my sisters and brothers up. So whatever happens,
Remember you are who you are NOW. As you grow up you will make who you are going to be. .Nothing can take that away, I feel stronger because of that. Sure I feel a HUGE hole, but I ignore it every day, because I know we all must except the things we can not change. But best of luck with everythig you try. Sinamin...

SarahJ
10-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks Sinamin(=
I will prepare myself for that day,because Ive heard of so many adoption stories that turn out bad.and I dont want that to happen to me.but if that does happen,i will trust in god to help me get through it.but thanks again for your wonderful advice.*

tab06
12-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I'm adopted as well. I'm 26. I've "started" the process several times, but my life is kind of hetic and busy as a prosecutor. My parents don't know anything either. And it's not that they can't tell me, it's that there wasn't anything they could tell me, because by law, I wasn't allowed to know anything until I turned 18. You don't necessarily need to know your birth mother's real last name, but what you do need is to know the agency that the adoption was finalized through. Good luck to you. I had a friend same age as me in high school that found his birth mother after we turned 18 and graduated from high school. I wish you all the best!

SarahJ
12-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Thank you,but what if the agency is out of buisness now?do I just look up my mothers last name?

purpleskiesssss
06-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Just go to
http://www.ancestrybydna.com/ancestry-by-dna.php
it's a little expensive($150) but it tells you the percent of races you are without parental knowledge.hope this helps:)

CinnamonBiscuit
06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for posting that link. :)