PDA

View Full Version : when can you start washing your locks

dreadheadbeauty89
09-23-2010, 07:52 PM
I just started locking my hair a month ago. I wanted to know if it was to early to wash them and how long should i wait before i wash them. I heard 3 months but Ive also heard otherwise.

KoilyLocGirl
09-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Wash when you want to, when you need to, and/or when you have to.

I washed mine the day after they were put in.

bebedee
09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
IA with KoilyGirl. I washed my hair within the first week of loc installation. When your hair is dirty, wash it. You may need to take some extra measures to minimize unraveling, but PLEASE wash regularly.

Some lockers do the braid-and-band method to wash their hair. You can see videos of the technique on Youtube. Hope this helps......

tryingnaturalagain
09-23-2010, 09:30 PM
IA with KoilyGirl. I washed my hair within the first week of loc installation. When your hair is dirty, wash it. You may need to take some extra measures to minimize unraveling, but PLEASE wash regularly.

Some lockers do the braid-and-band method to wash their hair. You can see videos of the technique on Youtube. Hope this helps......

I washed my hair after two weeks... I agree with Bebedee and KoilyGirl, wash when you have to, or when you want to. ive heard that clean hair locs faster. Using stocking cabs can sometimes help minimize unraveling.

MSTRICE314
09-27-2010, 10:41 AM
IA with all the advice listed above I washed mine every week after installation of comb twist. I used a stocking cap to help prevent unraveling and it really helped best wishes and happy locing to you

giftedchick
09-28-2010, 09:06 AM
i washed after two weeks (using a stockin cap of course) i got a bit of unraveling anyway.. but nothing a bit of mango and lime couldnt fix :)

imma DIY

Vavoon
09-28-2010, 06:58 PM
the simple answer for you is : whenever you want to. i know loctitians try to give you a specific time frame to start washing, but its only up to you. take washing methods into consideration. if your hair is too soft, using a stocking cap and wash your hair gently yet thoroughly to avoid unraveling. also you may want to avoid using a conditioner, as it is known to unravel the hair, and may also cause build up. - but then again the choice is yours - i am sure there have been many cases when peopel used conditioner in beginner stages w/ no issues. clean hair locs faster, and build is detrimental to the locking process. you may also want to try astringents/lemon juice is you're afraid to use water. i washed mine after less than two weeks. good luck <3

delleaux
09-30-2010, 05:10 AM
I waited a week. My hair was itching like crazy! Don't sacrifice hair hygiene for the fear of unraveling, they will do that anyway but you can minimize wth a stocking cap or hair net but by all means wash thy scalp.

GorgeousKinkz
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
Babe.. wash your hair. Washing is essiential to the locking process. I was told I couldn't thoroughly wash my hair for 3 months too.. forget that. 3 weeks was the most I could do. There is specific time.. just listen to what your scalp tells you and your hair will thank you :-)

chachadiva
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
You will get all types of answers. Bottom line is that it's your hair and YOU decide what happens to it. If you want to wash, then wash. There's nothing to be afraid of. If something "messes up," you'll fix it and move on.

sugaplums
10-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Wash it right away sis! Waiting a month is too long for washing your locs. My locs have been in for 6 days and I washed the next day after installation. I have been rinsing everday.

For me dry shampoos did not work. It actually made my itches worse. :( Nothings beats a good wash sis. :)

oldlady1909
10-01-2010, 02:03 AM
co-sign...I learned to listen to my hair(:-)...I started with latching and did not shampoo for one month..then re-latched...shampoo and re-latched...then I thought I would skip the latch the next time and do it my self...it's working..I think I was "afraid" I would "mess up" my hair...I can't!!...trial and error, but I've figured out what works for MY HAIR..and I'm stickin' to it..talk to your locs :-))and they will let you know how they're doing