PDA

View Full Version : Vigoro

NuGrowth
06-15-2004, 04:27 AM
OK this is the story... for graduation I wanted to get my hair pressed because my cap wouldnt fit and I just didnt feel cute and I wanted to look nice that day so I went to my old stylists grandmother's salon to get my hair pressed because she was supposed to have mad skills. So I went and she said she would have to put a Vigoro in my hair or else the press wouldn't take so being the idiot that I am I relented! So she put it in and it started to burn and smelt something aweful like a cross between rotten eggs and amonia. So here I am burning and praying that this stuff doesn't make my hair fall out and it didn't but I swear it felt like I had a relaxer in my hair. So she blowdried and then pressed it and it looked as if I had a bone straight relaxer. So after greaduation I naturally want to wsh it out and go back to my curls. But umm.. no it didn't happen! I was still straight just frizzy on the ends! I was this crap out of my hair.. and I have a bad feeling that I am gonna have to transition AGAIN. I am so :mad I don't know what to do.. If any of you all know what Vigoro is please reply or e-mail me at Classichica@aol.com
Thanx
NuGrowth
:-?

diji
06-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Is this for real? I beg your pardon if it is, but sometimes people like to joke and I noticed that you have posted 95 times so you've been around. If it is a relaxer you are going to have to cut it off eventually if you want to be natural. HTH

nybabee1718
06-15-2004, 04:41 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this mishap. Hopefully with some deep conditioning you can salvage what you can and move on from there.

natitwists
06-15-2004, 04:43 AM
:blab Sorry babe, but umm you should have asked her just what EXACTLY a vigoro was? If it was some kind of pressing grease then fine, but um some creamy application, that right there should have told you something. If it were anything to "relax" the curls out of your hair, then you know you're gonna have to snip snip :cen

PS Why couldnt you wear your napptural hair for graduation? What about it made you feel "not cute"?

wildandkinky
06-15-2004, 04:52 AM
Smells like ammonia? Depilatory cream smells like ammonia.

LilShortRib
06-15-2004, 05:11 AM
Are you sure that's the way you spell it? I did a few Net searches and the only Vigoro brand name I saw was lawn fertilizer...

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
06-15-2004, 05:24 AM
Vigirol is supposed to be a non-perm hair straightener. Yes, it does smell like sulfur, but it's sort of like this liquidy stuff. It claims to make your hair more manageable without being as strong as a perm or texturizer. I put some on my hair the first time I transitioned, but I just put it on my napps and it didn't do a thing thank God. I washed my hair and it was nappy as it wanted to be. If your hair didn't napp back up then you will have to transition again. I'm sorry to hear about this.

LilShortRib
06-15-2004, 05:24 AM
It's Vigorol? I just asked Afrika_Iz_In_My_Hair... She said she used it once... It doesn't look favorable...

Vigorol (http://search.seriousshopping.net/?search=vigorol&o=1)

Good luck!

iyamkenya
06-15-2004, 05:34 AM
I've never heard of it. Sounds to me like she took it for granted that you weren't a regular and used you as a guinea pig, figuring you wouldn't be back to complain.

cmesweet
06-15-2004, 05:41 AM
Vigorol Liquid Hair Relaxer will leave your hair looking natural but with no frizz, no nap.

I found the quote above on the link that was posted about this product. The product just do not sound right and apparently she relaxed your hair. Sorry to hear about what happened to you. I went to a graduation a few weeks ago and this girl did not wear her cap she wore a big afro puff and it was pretty.

Sekhmet
06-15-2004, 05:45 AM
I had a Vigorol in 9th grade. It's a chemical hair straightener; a liquid relaxer.

LadyCaramel
06-15-2004, 05:47 AM
It's called Vigorol and it's basically a RELAXER. If I'm correct it's an old school relaxer. She basically relaxed you and didn't tell you. I'm sorry that this has happened and I hope that it all works out but I think you'll have to cut it and start over again, Sis it'll be alright :blab :blab :blab :blab :blab :amour :amour
I could be wrong but I think I remember correctly about an old thread about that mess.

southerncurl
06-15-2004, 05:53 AM
girl you should have known better....I'm sorry about that but she really tricked you.

I would be mad enough to sue her...how long is your hair?
I remember this product growing up in my grandmothers house, it's a chemical relaxer.

I bet she thought she was doing you a favor..she was probably glad to see thise naps go.

jennifer ^v^
06-15-2004, 06:00 AM
Gosh, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your hair. :blab You probably will have to transition again in order to remove the relaxed hair.

This can really serve as a learning experience for you, though. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people and stylists who, either through lack of knowledge or lack of giving a crap about you, will attempt to do things to your hair that you would never approve of if you fully knew what they were doing. There are countless threads on this board that mention how people are wary of stylists precisely because they often pull dirty stunts with their hair (cut it too short, attempt to apply a relaxer and disguise it as conditioner, etc). Which is exactly why you have to fully know what people are doing to your hair. Why they're doing it. What's in whatever they're applying to your hair. Because if you don't, this kind of thing can happen.

I can kind of relate this to my diet. I'm vegan, and there have been many times I've almost ingested animal products because I didn't know they were in the food. No one is going to take responsibility for my food intake but me, and if I don't remember to ask what's in my food before I eat it...well, it would definitely be a bad thing if someone purposely gave me meat to eat if they full well knew that I didn't eat it. That doesn't change the fact that I should've known to inquire about the ingredients before I ate the meal.

You have to be responsible for your own hair.

PoetiklyFroed
06-15-2004, 07:45 AM
I would be mad enough to sue her...
Exactly.
I'm sorry about your experience :blab . Let this be a lesson for the future.
-froed

stillwater09
06-15-2004, 07:51 AM
Wow! Sorry about that. I would at least report her.

laticca8
06-15-2004, 11:44 AM
Like everyone else, I'm so sorry. This product is apparently not as strong as a relaxer because I thought pressing relaxed hair causes severe breakage.

siriuswizdom
06-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Sorry to hear about that...

Sirius

Nani_21
06-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Just look at it as a learning experience...it'll grow back
:) Keep smiling!

tonyelle
06-15-2004, 01:09 PM
Girl i know what it is because I had one when I was really young and my mother didn't really want to give me a relaxer, but yet she wanted to straighten my hair. I didn't even think they still have them around. But it's some type of chemical that suppose to straighten your hair. It's not quite a relaxer, but it is a chemical straightener. I really don't know if your hair will come back to its original texture or not. I would say condition it really well. I wouldn't just cut it now. Give it time to see if it will come back. But if not then I am afraid that it's this... :cen I am sorry. But you should have definately asked her what it was and the effects of it. HTH

Jazitones
06-15-2004, 01:21 PM
There is no question or doubt that you are going to transition again because that is a liquid relaxer as a another poster stated.

Glanza_Gurl
06-15-2004, 01:22 PM
I hope that other people seeing this thread will learn from this.....STOP trying to find temporary straighteners and just accept your hair the way it is.

Natural Kinks
06-15-2004, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Glanza_Gurl@Jun 15 2004, 12:22 PM
I hope that other people seeing this thread will learn from this.....STOP trying to find temporary straighteners and just accept your hair the way it is.
ITA. I am sorry to hear about your mishap as well but I it's hard to imagine that you didn't realize that you would no longer be natural when she mentioned putting a chemical in your hair. Truthfully I also can't imagine not asking in DEPTH what is as to make sure that your napps were not being put in jeopardy.

Jazitones
06-15-2004, 02:05 PM
I want to add that growing up my mother had a women to put a vigorol in my hair. This women told my mother that it was not a relaxer and all it does was to keep the press hair lasting longer. Well needless to say my hair lasted along time from that funky $%$#$#. People today still believe that a vigorol does no harm to the natural hair. So be careful and read the labels very careful before applying any kind of liquid to your hair, ie, shampoos, conditioners or other concoctions (sp) to your hair.

tran68
06-15-2004, 02:13 PM
:tiptoe

netta1
06-15-2004, 02:13 PM
WOW what a terrible story not only did she press your hair but she RELAXED it first! thats Crazy!

jenoy
06-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Now that sucks! You see they are trying to get us, not only is it a LIQUID relaxer but chick PRESSED your hair too? I believe she had a little too much hater aid that day. Nevertheless, you know what she has done and you know what you need to do :cen come on back and Keep It Nappy :thumbsup

curlyhoo
06-15-2004, 03:12 PM
Well NuGrowth if it makes you feel any better, you should at least know that you are helping people who didn't even know that this product existed. I probably would have had the same experience because I had no idea what Vigorol was until now. At the very least, I hope you enjoyed your graduation day and now it's time to move forward and reclaim your naps. Good luck to you.

Maestradiva77
06-15-2004, 03:19 PM
ITA with Glanza_Gurl. This always saddens me when I hear things like this. Ladies, if you are going to get your hair professionally done, please don't be afraid to ask questions and speak up!! Furthermore, if a stylist wants to get an attitude, don't be afraid to take your money elsewhere. Remember that it is your hair and no one loves your hair more than you.
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. ))HUG((

Button2004
06-15-2004, 03:26 PM
:blab :blab I would have been boo hoo crying after that kind of experience. Keep your head up. Do that transition. Love your nappz.

For my graduation in 2006...I will either get some cornrows, do some tiny twists, or not wear the cap. There are other solutions. No one touches my head. I cut the permed stuff off this past January and no one has been in my head since. I take care of it...I style it. I wont let anyone else touch it unless I am sure they will respect my wishes. I will never set foot in a hair salon to let them touch my hair. I hate the smel of perm and burned hair now.

Be strong, this will pass and you will have you nappz back before you know it. We are here for you. :blab :blab

naturalnyc
06-15-2004, 03:49 PM
sorry to hear what happened. Dont worry cause its only hair and it will grow back in no time.

myshair
06-15-2004, 04:14 PM
You should be ok eventually. Sorry about what happened to your hair. I used to get them when I was a little kid and if my hair is any indication, it doesn't stay forever and may revert back to your natural texture after time. HTH Good luck to you.

yjudania
06-15-2004, 04:26 PM
I am so sorry to hear this story. Vigorol was the first relaxer my mama used in my hair! Very old school stuff! You will have to let it grow out or cut it out. Sorry

JustKei
06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Sorry double post....

JustKei
06-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Never heard of it before, but the pressing could have straightened your hair too.... All the best with your transitioing... Oh, if you ever graduate again try wearing cornrows...
Kei

EbonyEyes
06-15-2004, 05:30 PM
OMG NuGrowth,

I wish you would have come to ask us first! We would have told you that Vigorol was a relaxer. :cry:

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Just keep your hair moisturized and treat it with TLC and we'll be here to support you as you transition again.

And I don't know if this surprises the nappturals on this board, but there are still people out there that actually believe that Vigorol is not a relaxer and just helps with managability and makes pressing easier.

My bf's mother told me when I first went natural that I could use Vigorol if my hair was getting hard to comb. She claimed that it wasn't a relaxer and was temporary.

I did not know that Vigorol was a relaxer until I looked at the box. The first "clue" is that it said liquid relaxer (duh!). Then I looked at the ingredients and saw the first ingredient. My chemistry knowledge told me that Vigorol was clearly a relaxer.

Needless to say, I will not touch that stuff.

Also NuGrowth...I know you wanted to look beautiful for your graduation but pressing is not the only way to do that. There are so many different natural styles that you could wear for special occassions.

We need to get out of the thinking that pressing should be for special occassions. Let your natural hair shine on every occassion!

There are people here to help you if you need help on a style.

Good luck with everything!

-Ebony

napturallyme
06-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by natitwists@Jun 15 2004, 03:43 AM
:blab Sorry babe, but umm you should have asked her just what EXACTLY a vigoro was? If it was some kind of pressing grease then fine, but um some creamy application, that right there should have told you something. If it were anything to "relax" the curls out of your hair, then you know you're gonna have to snip snip :cen

PS Why couldnt you wear your napptural hair for graduation? What about it made you feel "not cute"?
ITA

Sorry that happened to you, but really you should have asked her what it was. I don't trust anyone with my hair. If I ever go get it done, I want to see the product and the ingredients before it touches my head.

Scrills
06-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Have you tried to contact this lady?

She needs to know what she's done. I think that we all need to stand up to stylist who have their own agenda (for those of us still going to salons). She needs to know so that she thinks twice about trying to fool someone else.

Ceela
06-15-2004, 06:51 PM
That's a total bummer. I'm sorry for you. Well, you live and you learn...I sure did :smug . I'm in the process of growing out a straightnening disaster due to a flat-iron, so I kinda feel your pain. :blab

debsen
06-15-2004, 07:01 PM
So sorry about what happened. It is a good idea to go to a trusted stylist. I never trust anyone who doesn't celebrate our natural hair: it seems like chemical stylists have been programmed to "fix" nappy hair and always look for a way to straighten (chemically or with heat) naps.

Don't worry: your hair will grow out and you can be happy and nappy again!

BTW: I wonder why you didn't think you'd look cute with your naps? Nappy confidence usually sends the haters running. Or at least silences them.

Deb

Happy2BNappy
06-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by NuGrowth@Jun 14 2004, 11:27 PM
OK this is the story... for graduation I wanted to get my hair pressed because my cap wouldnt fit and I just didnt feel cute and I wanted to look nice that day so I went to my old stylists grandmother's salon to get my hair pressed because she was supposed to have mad skills. So I went and she said she would have to put a Vigoro in my hair or else the press wouldn't take so being the idiot that I am I relented! So she put it in and it started to burn and smelt something aweful like a cross between rotten eggs and amonia. So here I am burning and praying that this stuff doesn't make my hair fall out and it didn't but I swear it felt like I had a relaxer in my hair. So she blowdried and then pressed it and it looked as if I had a bone straight relaxer. So after greaduation I naturally want to wsh it out and go back to my curls. But umm.. no it didn't happen! I was still straight just frizzy on the ends! I was this crap out of my hair.. and I have a bad feeling that I am gonna have to transition AGAIN. I am so :mad I don't know what to do.. If any of you all know what Vigoro is please reply or e-mail me at Classichica@aol.com
Thanx
NuGrowth
C'mon ladies let's be honest here. You didn't think your natural hair was cute so you decided to press it even after all the warnings given on this site. You took the chance and now your hair is damaged.

Sorry, but I don't think you were duped. You drove to that salon with every intention on leaving with STRAIGHT hair so how can you be mad because you got what you wanted?

vinny_46
06-15-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by natitwists@Jun 14 2004, 07:43 PM

I Agree. I have never heard of Vigoro, and if someone said they "had" to put this in my hair...I would've walked out!! But for the sake of convo, I would've also asked what it was exactly.
Sorry. But it can't be undone, take it as a lesson to appreciate what you have and don't let other people do things like this to your hair. Lesson learned.

Nappalonia
06-15-2004, 07:57 PM
C'mon ladies let's be honest here. You didn't think your natural hair was cute so you decided to press it even after all the warnings given on this site. You took the chance and now your hair is damaged.

Sorry, but I don't think you were duped. You drove to that salon with every intention on leaving with STRAIGHT hair so how can you be mad because you got what you wanted?
This is the first thing that came to my mind as I read the post :-P

I also agree with this :thumbsup

Also NuGrowth...I know you wanted to look beautiful for your graduation but pressing is not the only way to do that. There are so many different natural styles that you could wear for special occassions.

We need to get out of the thinking that pressing should be for special occassions. Let your natural hair shine on every occassion!

Melanizm
06-15-2004, 08:29 PM
So she put it in and it started to burn and smelt something aweful like a cross between rotten eggs and amonia. So here I am burning and praying that this stuff doesn't make my hair fall out and it didn't but I swear it felt like I had a relaxer in my hair.

Why were you still sitting there? If it smelled that bad you should've known that it was going to be BAD for your hair. Nasty smells usually = CHEMICALS. Not to come down on you, but you really can't soley blame her for what happened. She knew what she was doing and YOU didn't. You should have been more informed before letting her do anything to your hair. If you didn't know what Vigorol was...ASK. You have every right to know what's going into YOUR hair. It doesn't take anything but a hot a** pressing comb and some grease to get hair straight and if it does take more than that they maybe that should be a clue that you didn't need to press your hair.

I really wish you the best. Next time just be more informed about your options. There were so many styles you could have done that would have been beautiful and chemical & heat free.

Babybee
06-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Vigorol is definitely a relaxer. The stylist used that it on my babysitters' childrens hair, used it on my head when I was in the 3rd grade. There wasn't too much info back them about the amount of damage that a relaxer would do. Needless to say it was very traumitizing because all of my hair broke off from the middle of my back to about an inch and a half. :smug Then wound up getting a jeri curl... :nohuh

Hope it turns out well for you, u can chalk this up as a learning experience and start fresh. :cen

nikki25
06-15-2004, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Happy2BNappy@Jun 15 2004, 02:24 PM

Sorry, but I don't think you were duped. You drove to that salon with every intention on leaving with STRAIGHT hair so how can you be mad because you got what you wanted? [/quote]
:app

Lottacoils
06-15-2004, 09:55 PM
For me, Vigorol was like a dangerous word when I was growing up, because someone put one in my cousin's hair and she had mad breakage. Even years later her edges were real thin if not kind of bald.

So sorry this happened to you. Some of the traditional hairstylists seem to count on customers not asking questions. They try to sound so confident and intimidating so that customers either trust them or are shy about speaking up.

I remember back in my jheri curl days when I was getting a recurl. A woman came into the shop to get her hair done. She pulled off either a wig or hat, I don't remember. And she had bald patches all over her head with spriggs of dead-looking hair sticking up. She said, "Look what you did!" My stylist said, "I didn't do nothing!" This strangely undramatic exchange was brief, and Miss Fool was still waiting to get her hair done. I ended up finding another stylist. My mom, who went to the same woman, wasn't so lucky -- she had breakage and thinning at the top of her head and it never really recovered. And I remember this woman once telling me that she went to some man's apartment to have him perm her hair (I guess he was a kitchen beautician). As he was rinsing her hair out in the bathtub, it was falling out! They both were screaming! :doh

I'm not saying that this applies to you, but I think that when women are vulnerable about an aspect of their appearance, they can become too trusting. This extends to health care, hair care and other services.

Good luck to you as you grow out the Vigorol. I do agree that you can't blame the stylist but so much, and you know why. Give your hair some TLC!

Sunchild
06-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Happy2BNappy+Jun 15 2004, 02:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Happy2BNappy @ Jun 15 2004, 02:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NuGrowth@Jun 14 2004, 11:27 PM
OK this is the story... for graduation I wanted to get my hair pressed because my cap wouldnt fit and I just didnt feel cute and I wanted to look nice that day so I went to my old stylists grandmother&#39;s salon to get my hair pressed because she was supposed to have mad skills. So I went and she said she would have to put a Vigoro in my hair or else the press wouldn&#39;t take so being the idiot that I am I relented! So she put it in and it started to burn and smelt something aweful like a cross between rotten eggs and amonia. So here I am burning and praying that this stuff doesn&#39;t make my hair fall out and it didn&#39;t but I swear it felt like I had a relaxer in my hair. So she blowdried and then pressed it and it looked as if I had a bone straight relaxer. So after greaduation I naturally want to wsh it out and go back to my curls. But umm.. no it didn&#39;t happen! I was still straight just frizzy on the ends! I was this crap out of my hair.. and I have a bad feeling that I am gonna have to transition AGAIN. I am so :mad I don&#39;t know what to do.. If any of you all know what Vigoro is please reply or e-mail me at Classichica@aol.com
Thanx
NuGrowth
C&#39;mon ladies let&#39;s be honest here. You didn&#39;t think your natural hair was cute so you decided to press it even after all the warnings given on this site. You took the chance and now your hair is damaged.

Sorry, but I don&#39;t think you were duped. You drove to that salon with every intention on leaving with STRAIGHT hair so how can you be mad because you got what you wanted? [/b][/quote]
Yup pretty much.

Dolliesdaughter
06-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Happy2BNappy@Jun 15 2004, 01:24 PM
C&#39;mon ladies let&#39;s be honest here. You didn&#39;t think your natural hair was cute so you decided to press it even after all the warnings given on this site. You took the chance and now your hair is damaged.

Sorry, but I don&#39;t think you were duped. You drove to that salon with every intention on leaving with STRAIGHT hair so how can you be mad because you got what you wanted?
:app Say it loud.

Saundus
06-15-2004, 10:49 PM
I don&#39;t think you have a right to sue this lady as someone else said. She told you what the product was, if you hadn&#39;t heard of it, questions should have been asked. Good luck next time. It will grow back. Hopefully next time you will feel beautiful with your natural hair to not be in the situation again.

LadyCaramel
06-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Glanza_Gurl@Jun 15 2004, 07:22 AM
I can understand her trying to do something so the cap would fit, I graduated HS last year and I had the same problem and they wouldn&#39;t let me not wear it. I don&#39;t straighten but I don&#39;t think seeking a temp straight style makes her a bad woman, she was frustrated I have had that feeling being a young nappy isn&#39;t all that easy. And as for asking, I guess it&#39;s the thing that if you are letting someone style your hair then you TRUST them. THe problem is that everyone isn&#39;t trustworthy. Like I said before I&#39;m sorry that this happened to you sis, but don&#39;t let anyone make you feel like less of a nappy just because you made a mistake that several other woman here have made.

I just feel that if we see nappturality as a journey then we have to realize that not everyone has made it to the corner of Pride Ave. and Security Road.

Mahoganyqt
06-16-2004, 01:25 AM
I&#39;m sorry this happened to you. I can&#39;t believe they still make that stuff. My mom called herself putting one in my hair when I was a child, my napps laughed at that stuff.

Aquadri
06-16-2004, 01:57 AM
This is so sad. I&#39;m sorry. I don&#39;t think you can sue because you didn&#39;t ask enough questions. Don&#39;t let anyone take control of your head!

I burned my hair pretty badly in an attempt to press it for a funeral before I knew the dangers of straightening. I learned my lesson and my hair grew back. Yours will, too. Good luck.

Back2myroots
06-16-2004, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by AfrikaIzin_My_Hair@Jun 15 2004, 12:24 AM
Vigirol is supposed to be a non-perm hair straightener. Yes, it does smell like sulfur, but it&#39;s sort of like this liquidy stuff. It claims to make your hair more manageable without being as strong as a perm or texturizer. I put some on my hair the first time I transitioned, but I just put it on my napps and it didn&#39;t do a thing thank God. I washed my hair and it was nappy as it wanted to be. If your hair didn&#39;t napp back up then you will have to transition again. I&#39;m sorry to hear about this.
That&#39;s exactly what it is!! My mother used to put it in my hair when I was round 4 or 5 years old!! Sorry but you&#39;ll will have to transition all over again!! :blab :cen

rzashida
06-16-2004, 06:47 AM
I am so sorry that happen to you but you educated another sister so the same thing will not happen to them. I&#39;ve learned that soon as the beautician get out of school they want to throw some lye in your hair and fry the heck out of it. Unless A styles advertise themself as a natural stylist I stay away.
But your hair will grow back you just have to take this as a lesson learned. Give it time and patience.

ThisIsKia
06-16-2004, 07:18 AM
:offtopic I hope the NP nay sayers see all of the support, sympathy, and helpful advice that&#39;s being offered here... It&#39;s what NP.com is all about folks! You ladies make me proud! :thumbsup

Thanks.

http://www.blingin.net/Pics/Puff_Daddy.jpg Take That! Take That!

Hamira
06-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by ThisIsKia@Jun 16 2004, 06:18 AM
:offtopic I hope the NP nay sayers see all of the support, sympathy, and helpful advice that&#39;s being offered here... It&#39;s what NP.com is all about folks! You ladies make me proud! :thumbsup

Thanks.
:nohuh tut tut Kia...that&#39;s not how it works...you pick out the one post you don&#39;t like and blow it out of proportion....didn&#39;t you get the memo? :duck

@ NuGrowth: I know you almost want to kick yourself, but it&#39;ll grow back...it&#39;s one of those "lesson learned" experiences...grow with it :-) :blab

ETAsk a question: Why didn&#39;t you feel that you natural hair was presentable for graduation? Serious question, not hypothetical. You can PM me if you want :)

BeautifulButterfly
06-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Delushious and LadyCaramel... you both gave her some awesome words.

Mistakes happen. Live and learn and move on. Sorry about what happened girl!

-Felecia

ThisIsKia
06-16-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Delushious+Jun 16 2004, 03:47 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Delushious @ Jun 16 2004, 03:47 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ThisIsKia@Jun 16 2004, 06:18 AM

Thanks.
:nohuh tut tut Kia...that&#39;s not how it works...you pick out the one post you don&#39;t like and blow it out of proportion....didn&#39;t you get the memo? :duck

@ NuGrowth: I know you almost want to kick yourself, but it&#39;ll grow back...it&#39;s one of those "lesson learned" experiences...grow with it :-) :blab [/b][/quote]
My bad Delushious, girl you know I be lunchin&#39;on Wednesdays... http://smilies.xibase.com/trout.gif

Hamira
06-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ThisIsKia@Jun 16 2004, 08:05 AM
My bad Delushious, girl you know I be lunchin&#39;on Wednesdays... http://smilies.xibase.com/trout.gif
Yeah, I put it on your desk right next to the Haterade« that everybody here supposedly sips on continuously :rolleyes

ThisIsKia
06-16-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Delushious@Jun 16 2004, 04:16 AM
Yeah, I put it on your desk right next to the Haterade® that everybody here supposedly sips on continuously :rolleyes
OH! Right next to the http://smilies.xibase.com/lurk.gif!

Sorry about the hijack folks... :duck

pyogazel
06-16-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Maestradiva77@Jun 15 2004, 03:19 PM
ITA with Glanza_Gurl. This always saddens me when I hear things like this. Ladies, if you are going to get your hair professionally done, please don&#39;t be afraid to ask questions and speak up!! Furthermore, if a stylist wants to get an attitude, don&#39;t be afraid to take your money elsewhere. Remember that it is your hair and no one loves your hair more than you.
Sorry to hear that this happened to you. ))HUG((
You read my mind!
We give too much credit to hairstylists and we repose too much confidence in them. It&#39;s your money and your hair, you have the right to know what he/she is going to do with it. :oops: And you should always claim for this right !

Nugrowth, I&#39;m really sorry to hear what happened to you :blab you must be in a mood to (box :fight :mad ... I certainly would go back to that woman and let her know I never asked her to relax my dearly naps :fight !
At least your experience will be useful to others...

But don&#39;t worry, your hair will grow back, you transitionned once, you can do it again and you won&#39;t do the same mistakes :-)
so keep smiling, experiment new style, "be cute" like Ini always says... The good news is you will be soon enjoying a fierce and sexy twa 8)

:rainfro

Stay strong

edited to add: I agree with EbonyEyes, I decided never to wear a pressed style for special occasions, it would be as if I was saying "my napps are not dressy enought" whereas I do think they are dressy/elegant/stylish... I decided to be as I preach :lol

Urban
06-16-2004, 10:12 AM
yikes, this happened to a lady that I know. (I posted a few months ago, asking if a temporary perm exists)
She was told that her hair would only be temporarily straightened (for her wedding day). Now it&#39;s three months later and she&#39;s got nappy roots, and frizzy ends: the hair in between her roots and ends is straight. She&#39;s so discouraged and disappointed. (She&#39;d transitioned for two years.) She washes her hair twice a week, trying to &#39;wash it out&#39;. (Now the hairdresser has nothing to say. :nohuh )
She saw me wearing twists the other day and almost cried cuz she can&#39;t achieve the same look with her now straightened hair.

Don&#39;t despair! Your hair will grow back, and this time around, you&#39;ll love it even more than before :blab Just think..you&#39;ll get to enjoy the journey all over again; sometimes I think about going back to my twa days...

Scrills
06-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by LadyCaramel@Jun 15 2004, 05:59 PM
I just feel that if we see nappturality as a journey then we have to realize that not everyone has made it to the corner of Pride Ave. and Security Road.
:app :app :app

josetth
06-20-2004, 04:00 PM
unbelievable! frickin&#39; unbelievable!

i would&#39;ve had the biggest fight with this woman (if by slight chance i decided to let someone press my hair).

darcellee
06-21-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by LadyCaramel@Jun 15 2004, 05:59 PM
I understand that you only wanted to temporarily straighten your hair. But please understand that this is what could happen. Things can go wrong!

Don&#39;t worry! I know it&#39;s frustrating but you can transition and have a beautiful head of naps again. You have learned some painful but valuable lessons. Transition, take pictures, and show us those beautiful head of naps!

By the way, I love LadyCaramel&#39;s comment. It reflects the fact that we aren&#39;t all in the same place. Most of us understand this and try to be positive where reasonable.

SpokenWordz
06-21-2004, 02:24 AM
I&#39;m so sorry this happened to you but PLEASE take this as a lesson learned. I always say mistakes are only worth going thru if you learn from them. I agree with many of the ladies who&#39;ve already posted. You deserve to know what&#39;s being done to your hair. If your doctor said he was going to prescribe you Thyraximide wouldn&#39;t you want to know what it does and how it will affect you? Same with your hair. Just be careful from now on and please scoot over from the passenger seat to the driver&#39;s seat. This is YOUR journey.

CC
:heart

Tammii
06-21-2004, 03:48 AM
Reading your story made me want to cry. I&#39;m very sorry this happened to you and I can only imagine how you feel. Experience is the best teacher, not only ours but that of others too. I am still in stitches as to why you couldn&#39;t find an alternative to pressing your hair when so many people have posted bad results about it. Even Dee went out of her way to post an article on the effects of heat on hair. Well, you live and learn, it will grow back. Your experience is a great lesson for me. By the way, why didn&#39;t you feel cute? Why was it so hard to style your hair w/out straightening? Good luck

goldenladym
06-21-2004, 08:26 AM

The above was by LadyCaramel.

I think that this is what we have to keep in mind when giving advice to others here. People will have experiences and make mistakes. This isn&#39;t really the place to turn our noses up at anyone. There should be some empathy. The same way we naturals don&#39;t want to be looked at negatively, we should take same view to those who make mistakes. I guess some people may be talented and savvy about their hair, but I guarantee that they&#39;ve made mistakes in some other aspect of their lives.

Yes, things could&#39;ve been done to have a better outcome, but she can only learn from the situation. Let&#39;s be encouraging. This site is a place for growth.

uzuri
06-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Happy2BNappy+Jun 15 2004, 07:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Happy2BNappy @ Jun 15 2004, 07:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-NuGrowth@Jun 14 2004, 11:27 PM
OK this is the story... for graduation I wanted to get my hair pressed because my cap wouldnt fit and I just didnt feel cute and I wanted to look nice that day so I went to my old stylists grandmother&#39;s salon to get my hair pressed because she was supposed to have mad skills. So I went and she said she would have to put a Vigoro in my hair or else the press wouldn&#39;t take so being the idiot that I am I relented! So she put it in and it started to burn and smelt something aweful like a cross between rotten eggs and amonia. So here I am burning and praying that this stuff doesn&#39;t make my hair fall out and it didn&#39;t but I swear it felt like I had a relaxer in my hair. So she blowdried and then pressed it and it looked as if I had a bone straight relaxer. So after greaduation I naturally want to wsh it out and go back to my curls. But umm.. no it didn&#39;t happen! I was still straight just frizzy on the ends! I was this crap out of my hair.. and I have a bad feeling that I am gonna have to transition AGAIN. I am so :mad I don&#39;t know what to do.. If any of you all know what Vigoro is please reply or e-mail me at Classichica@aol.com
Thanx
NuGrowth

Sorry, but I don&#39;t think you were duped. You drove to that salon with every intention on leaving with STRAIGHT hair so how can you be mad because you got what you wanted? [/b][/quote]
Maybe she sounds unsympathetic, but she┬┤s right you know...Why do some nappturals feel that for a special occassion the best is straight? :-P

napturallyme
06-21-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by goldenladym@Jun 21 2004, 07:26 AM

I think that this is what we have to keep in mind when giving advice to others here. People will have experiences and make mistakes. This isn&#39;t really the place to turn our noses up at anyone. There should be some empathy. The same way we naturals don&#39;t want to be looked at negatively, we should take same view to those who make mistakes. I guess some people may be talented and savvy about their hair, but I guarantee that they&#39;ve made mistakes in some other aspect of their lives.

Yes, things could&#39;ve been done to have a better outcome, but she can only learn from the situation. Let&#39;s be encouraging. This site is a place for growth.
This may be true, but I just have to say this: Some people who have been posting lately about their mistakes have been on this site long enough to read the rules and Dee&#39;s warning about heat, etc. You can only get so much empathy when you should have known better. I feel sorry that this happened to the original poster, but she is just as much to blame for what happened as the stylist. I don&#39;t think anyone is being unencouraging in this thread, but just telling her the hard truth.

PenCurls
06-21-2004, 11:52 PM
I don&#39;t know how old the OP is, but sometimes, youth (especially when faced with real old-school & you&#39;ve been taught to always respect your elders) is too intimidated to speak up. But there comes a point when you have to be responsible for your hair, no matter what anyone else says--especially stylists who hawk straightened styles. This is why I haven&#39;t been to a salon in almost 2 years. I know some people still like to go & be pampered (& I would really love to get some professional cornrows) but basic hair CARE should be everyone&#39;s priority.

I also wish that straight-hair-for-special-occasions myth would DIE. When special days roll around, my dd knows she&#39;s not stepping out with "candy curls." It&#39;s either braids with beads (which is too time-consuming for everyday wear) or her hair out or cornrows & out combo, etc. There are SO MANY natural styles that are "special"--plus, since there are usually so many more permed sisters around, naturals always stand out. Please let go of this thinking that "straight is special" &#39;cause it&#39;s not.

I only heard of Vigorol a few years ago but it says clearly "liquid relaxer" or "straightener." We must ask questions! The smell alone probably would&#39;ve sent me running. Sorry this happened to you but chalk it up as a lesson learned. Good luck with your hair, OP!

Happy2BNappy
06-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by goldenladym@Jun 21 2004, 03:26 AM

True growth comes as a result of being honest with yourself and others. Unless she deals with the underlying issues that she has about her natural hair not being cute she&#39;s going to do the exact same thing later on.

Sure we all do make mistakes but the thought process is what I&#39;m trying to address and until that changes nothing else will.

Melanizm
06-22-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Happy2BNappy@Jun 22 2004, 12:08 AM
True growth comes as a result of being honest with yourself and others. Unless she deals with the underlying issues that she has about her natural hair not being cute she&#39;s going to do the exact same thing later on.

Sure we all do make mistakes but the thought process is what I&#39;m trying to address and until that changes nothing else will.
ITA.

I also don&#39;t think anyone is being overly harsh to her in this post. It was HER choice to sit in the chair and make an uninformed decision to let someone put Vigorol in her hair. She wanted straight hair and that&#39;s what she got. That&#39;s not harsh, it&#39;s reality. If she didn&#39;t know what Vigorol was, she should have asked. But to place all the blame on the stylist and come here an post in a victim role is just not right, IMO. She has to accept her role in this situation as well.

I think the people who did speak up and tell her that that are the ones who are truly being empathetic to her...

Everyone makes mistakes, but I would like to think if I were in her shoes people would be straight-forward with me just like people were to her in this post.

@LadyCaramel...IMO, this issue is not about pride or security or the lack there of pertaining to the OP. I think we all understand everyone is at a different place in their journey, but my problem is with making UNINFORMED decisions and then coming to Nappturality to complain about it.

flowerchild
06-22-2004, 03:50 AM
Vigga whatever it&#39;s called....since when do you have to put something in your hair to press? That&#39;s what I don&#39;t understand. And because you said you wanted to look pretty and your cap didn&#39;t fit your head or something close to that, why didn&#39;t you find a natural style to do instead of pressing? I mean, these were other options instead of just being straight. We too have to not keep the brainwashed mentality of straight as being pretty. Our naturals are just as pretty. So I am learning everyday. Even though straight is in my face on the daily, I have to remember that my hair is pretty too. I&#39;m learning a lot from being a member on this site and the boldness is coming out in a really unique way. We have to love what we have naturally or else we end up getting caught up. I know, I&#39;ve been there.

Gloria
06-22-2004, 05:09 AM

I know that&#39;s right. My friend&#39;s natural hair touches her shoulders and she still wore a big ole &#39;fro to graduation (under her cap with millions of bobby pins). It can be done...

I am sorry that the stylist duped you. Ignorant thing! The crazy part is that the stylist probably didn&#39;t think that it was a &#39;real&#39; relaxer. Be careful who you let touch your hair. In my first 6 months of nappiness, I went to a shop to get my hair trimmed (the same one I went to when I was relaxing) and the chick trimming my hair took a whole inch off the back. Scissor happy, chemical happy...grrrrr.

nybabee1718
06-22-2004, 05:28 AM
I think NuGrowth feels bad enough without us adding any of our told you sos or you should have dones. What she needs is support for her bad experience. We&#39;re not perfect. You make mistakes.

This is just a learning experience for us all. Be careful and watch at what people will say and do all in the name of having relaxed burnt hair.

What this shows me actually is that stylists and people will stop at nothing to make sure everyone has relaxed hair. See y&#39;alll!!! The power of our natural hair is threatening people!!!
People are threatened by our natural hair!! OH wow, I can&#39;t believe it. It sounds so stupid but why else would a stylist tell someone some crap like that!!

It&#39;s sad how internally oppressed we really are.

Melanizm
06-22-2004, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by nybabee1718@Jun 22 2004, 04:28 AM
I think NuGrowth feels bad enough without us adding any of our told you sos or you should have dones. What she needs is support for her bad experience. We&#39;re not perfect. You make mistakes.

This is just a learning experience for us all. Be careful and watch at what people will say and do all in the name of having relaxed burnt hair.

What this shows me actually is that stylists and people will stop at nothing to make sure everyone has relaxed hair. See y&#39;alll!!! The power of our natural hair is threatening people!!!
People are threatened by our natural hair!! OH wow, I can&#39;t believe it. It sounds so stupid but why else would a stylist tell someone some crap like that!!

I don&#39;t understand how people can say things like this... :-P :tiptoe

No one in this post said she has to be perfect or that we don&#39;t all make mistakes. But she nor you can blame this all on her stylist. That&#39;s all people are saying.

She chose to make an uniformed decision and paid the price for it. Can&#39;t you see that?

All support is NOT positive and a holding hands kumbaya fest. (Never thought I&#39;d be saying this, lol) But now I really realize what some of the veteran posters mean. She needs to know that she has a role in this bad situation too. Telling her that is just as much support as " :blab "

Not all stylists are out to get us and our natural hair either. Maybe her stylist assumed she knew what Vigorol was. Maybe her stylist is not a trained professional and thought Vigorol was the only way to get her hair straight. You can&#39;t assume that her stylist was out to get her. Maybe she should have done her research on the stylist prior to sitting down in her chair...please don&#39;t try to make this seem like all stylist want us to relax because that is a generalization and it&#39;s NOT accurate!

Natural Kinks
06-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Melanizm+Jun 22 2004, 04:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Melanizm @ Jun 22 2004, 04:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-nybabee1718@Jun 22 2004, 04:28 AM

I don&#39;t understand how people can say things like this... :-P :tiptoe

No one in this post said she has to be perfect or that we don&#39;t all make mistakes. But she nor you can blame this all on her stylist. That&#39;s all people are saying.

She chose to make an uniformed decision and paid the price for it. Can&#39;t you see that?

All support is NOT positive and a holding hands kumbaya fest. (Never thought I&#39;d be saying this, lol) But now I really realize what some of the veteran posters mean. She needs to know that she has a role in this bad situation too. Telling her that is just as much support as " :blab "

Not all stylists are out to get us and our natural hair either. Maybe her stylist assumed she knew what Vigorol was. Maybe her stylist is not a trained professional and thought Vigorol was the only way to get her hair straight. You can&#39;t assume that her stylist was out to get her. Maybe she should have done her research on the stylist prior to sitting down in her chair...please don&#39;t try to make this seem like all stylist want us to relax because that is a generalization and it&#39;s NOT accurate! [/b][/quote]
:app

Lucid_Warmth
06-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by carmennc@Jun 14 2004, 10:03 PM
Lol, depilatory creams. I have hairy legs and tried to Nair them the hair off. I didn&#39;t know exactly what I was doing and the hairs turned into rubber. Nevermind.
:lol :lol You are too funny!

@ NuGrowth...keep your head up, transition and come back swinging.

NubianPrincess
06-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don&#39;t feel as if this poster deserved an undesired chemical process because she chose to risk pressing her hair. If her hair got damaged because of the press, that&#39;s one thing. But if this stuff is a relaxer in the true sense of the word, then I feel bad for her, because she didn&#39;t want to go the chemical route.

freelocks
06-23-2004, 12:37 AM
Never let a product be put in your hair unless you know what it is and you approve of it.

NuGrowth
06-24-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for posting I know that I have to transition again and I will. I cant wait to get this damaged hair off my head..love all yall and thanks so very much.

jackiebrown
06-24-2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by NubianPrincess@Jun 22 2004, 11:35 PM
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I don&#39;t feel as if this poster deserved an undesired chemical process because she chose to risk pressing her hair. If her hair got damaged because of the press, that&#39;s one thing. But if this stuff is a relaxer in the true sense of the word, then I feel bad for her, because she didn&#39;t want to go the chemical route.
I agree. Nugrowth thanks for enlightening me with your story. Some of us did learn from this. And it will grow back!! :)

jenoy
06-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Nu Growth, you&#39;re already on the right track. :) Please Pay Attention!!!

I was surfing on the web and I ran across Naturalaxer, has anyone every heard of it? This is not a shot at anyone, but this is a non-chemical(?) in a jar way to straighten your hair. Just a word of caution.

sharynleigh
06-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Mild relaxer. It was very popular when I was a teenager.

ladybug2378
06-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Been there, done that!!! I had one when I was maybe in the 5th grade. It was my first relaxer. I remember the smell and the feeling but I remember my hair still being kinky after a wash.
You will have to transition again but it will be ok. I&#39;m sure you have learned how important it is to ask for and demand what you want...especially when it comes to something that is important to you.

Shanna
06-25-2004, 02:58 AM
What&#39;s a "Kinky Deep Wave Set"?

nicetry
06-25-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Glanza_Gurl@Jun 15 2004, 06:22 AM
I agree...I&#39;ve gotten to the point where I&#39;ve become extremely phobic re: hairdressers.

afrococo
06-25-2004, 03:38 AM
Hey girlie...
I&#39;m sure u&#39;r most tired of hearing the same things about every1 here not knowing what on earth the womyn put in ur hair, but truth is, i&#39;ve never heard of it...
Looks as if u&#39;r going to be starting over :oops: one mo&#39; gan!
Only thing to it is to do it...
Good Luck
Besides, it&#39;s not so bad; for i just started over yet again for the 3rd time!

<><

tifftiff1029
06-25-2004, 04:03 AM
I had it once but a vigoro my mom took me and my sis to an old skool stylist and so she thought that since we had such thick hair the vigoro thing wasnt bad it was still natural....................WRONG! then after about 3 applications over time my hair began to shed and break.................its garbage (just like it smells) i am so sorry that you had that happen to you. Good luck on transitioning , your napps will fight back!

NuGrowth
06-25-2004, 04:48 AM
I know soo much more now that this has happened at first all I wanted to do was cry about my hair and people started getting tired of me whinning like what the hell was so bad about it but they didn&#39;t understand that I couldn&#39;t twirl my finger around my hair and it spring back in total curliness! Most black women have never experienced their natural hair and it is very sad. From now on I will never go to a stylist to straighten my hair and I don&#39;t even think I will be doing it myself. I am just glad I went through this so that now I have some new knowledge to add to my head. I just can&#39;t wait to feel my natural curls again!

I know some of the napptruality women are like NuGrowth you idiot why did you let something like this happen to you? And I honestly have to say that even though I was natural on the out side i.e my hair, my mind and mentality was still 49% stuck in the thinking that you won&#39;t be pretty with a mass of curly hair, atleast not at a formal junction. So now you could kind of say I have fully transitioned to a 100% natural woman. And not someone who likes curly hair sometimes and straight others.

I hope everyone can learn from my mistake. I learned from it and just can&#39;t wait to do it over again because transitioning was fun and I have all kinds of knowledge that I didn&#39;t have before.

deecoily
06-25-2004, 05:01 AM
NuGrowth, don&#39;t let anyone put ANYthing in your hair unless you know what it is.

I will close this thread now since it&#39;s run its course :)

~Dee~