PDA

View Full Version : How to Protect Locs In the winter

Vavoon
10-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Winter is approaching!! I was just wondering what's everyone winter care routine. I can recall my hair disappearing in the winter prior to locing due to poor hair can. I plan on keeping my hair protect with a satin scarf, keeping it extra moisterized, and using castor oil. Is castor oil good for the winter? What oils will everyone be using?

:)

KnottyAuthor
10-09-2010, 11:57 AM
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131654

4DeeperJoy
10-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I don't have a real winter routine yet so I'll be watching this conversation. Thanks.

cammiecam
10-11-2010, 02:45 PM
I don't know that you really need a routine. Just pay attention to your hair... it will tell you what it needs.

sugaplums
10-13-2010, 12:04 PM
There was a thread here for doing daily rinsing during the winter months. I plan on doing this and moisturizing with evoo. I don't want to use castor oil for the winter because it is a humectant so it will draw whatever the weather is into my locs. This just never worked for me during the winter months.

straightnochaser
10-13-2010, 05:20 PM
The only thing that changes for me in the winter is fewer shampoos. In the dead of winter, I use a dryer. I wear spandex hats, which reduce the likelihood of lint. Otherwise, I lightly oil my hair and sleep with a stocking cap just as I would in the summer.

cammiecam
10-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Oh yes, hats. If I can I'll put my satin scarf on THEN put on my wool hat so the hat won't suck the oils out of my hair. Definitely something you can do to protect your locs during winter.

Himmy
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Oh yes, hats. If I can I'll put my satin scarf on THEN put on my wool hat so the hat won't suck the oils out of my hair. Definitely something you can do to protect your locs during winter.

Maybe that is what I need to do...buy a few satin scarves. I have hats that I love (wool), but they leave so much lint. :( I never thought about using a scarf first. I have a few wool scarves, too, that leave lint at the end of my locz. I like them because they match my hats and keep my neck warm, but I don't know what to do about the lint. :( Any ideas my NP family?

4DeeperJoy
10-14-2010, 06:19 AM
I buy polyester wave caps for about $2 at the beauty supply and I pull those on, tuck in my locs and then follow with my winter hats and/or scarves...works well for lint control.

delleaux
10-14-2010, 10:50 PM
I just keep my hair covered with a head wrap and wash less often. No probs.