PDA

View Full Version : Should we move things around?

rootzdawta
10-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Let me see if I can describe the layout of our house. We live on a single floor. We have a front room which we call the cold room. We can't use it during the winter months at all. Next to that and moving towards the back of the house, we have a large room with a fireplace (currently the living room--Room A). Separated by french pocket doors, next to that (and continuing to move towards the back of the house) is the room that's serving as our master bedroom (Room B). Separated by a solid wood door, next to that (all the way at the back of the house) is the children's bedroom.

I'm wondering if we should make what is currently the living room (Room A) into our master bedroom and make what's currently the master bedroom (Room B) into the living room. It was set up that way before but should we change it back?

Here are the pros of Room A:
1. It's larger.
2. It's toward the front of the house: guests can walk directly into it
3. It has a fireplace
4. It's two rooms away from the kids' room which is great because I workout in the morning and my husband and I can hang out when they go to sleep without bothering them.

Here are the cons of Room A (mainly one): it is dark. We need to have lights on in there are all times no matter how bright it is outside.

Here are the pros of Room B (mainly one): it is very bright--4 high windows. Another pro is that it's closer to the kitchen where I spend lots of time and since it would have the computer in it, I would be closer to the computer. (Yes, I could also get a laptop and have a computer in the kitchen but that's a long way off.)

Here are the cons of Room B:
1. Guests have to walk through the kitchen or through Room A to get to Room B.
2. It's in the middle of the house, adjacent to the kids' room.
3. It's smaller than the Room A (the bookcase would have to remain in Room A)

So should we move things around? Or just invest in getting Room A hooked up with better lighting (~$1000+).

Akomas_Angel
10-25-2010, 02:13 AM
I think I can picture what you're talking about. But, I am having trouble figuring out if your guests will have to walk through your bedroom to get access to the living room or bathrooms if you switch your master bedroom to be room a? That would be the make or break deciding factor for me. If they don't, I would say go for it.

rootzdawta
10-25-2010, 02:19 AM
They could walk through the kitchen to get to the living room or bathroom. Still a bit awkward.

chachadiva
10-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Rootz, have you thought about weatherproofing all of your rooms so you won't have a "cold room?" Most cities and states will provide free weatherproofing materials. You can also buy inexpensive stuff from life Home Depot and Lowes. Do a search for weatherproofing.

Also, can you use a space heater with a built-in thermostat that turns itself on and off only when the room temperature falls below a certain level? This provides heat and saves energy.

rootzdawta
10-25-2010, 07:31 PM
^^That's a good point about insulating that room. We actually had it re-done maybe 2 years ago. We accepted HUD money which meant we had a very limited pool of contractors to choose from. The one we ended up with finished the room (stripped teh walls and all that) but it is still not insulated in a way to make it usable. So we invested in a pretty high end heater with thermostat and all that and the room was usable (and, oh my goodness, it was great) but we were paying close to $600/month in utilities. But I'm going to look into some ways we could maybe add to the insulation of the room ourselves (like under the floor boards and ceiling) because that room is really valuable.

chachadiva
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM
^^Do you put plastic on your windows? Do you feel for rushing air around your windows and doors? Those are usually the biggest culprits of heat loss.

rootzdawta
10-25-2010, 09:17 PM
The windows and doors are tight. We put this spray foam insulation stuff and that eliminated the air coming. But the walls and floor and roof in there . . . not insulated.

Akomas_Angel
10-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I would definitely check out your options for insulating your roof. There are all kinds of nooks and crannies where your heat could be escaping. If you check out an Eco friendly option, you may qualify for a tax credit or rebate. A friend of mine did this in her new house a few years ago and she said it reduced her bills ALOT.

rootzdawta
10-26-2010, 12:10 PM
^^Indeed . . . I have to prepare mentally for more renovation. With two small kids, what a hassle. Truthfully, it's easier right now just to keep that front room closed off for the winter.

Another solution to the lack of light in Room A would be getting two windows cut on either side of the fireplace. Renovation again, yes, but it would be great because room A would get lots of light and if we can get the front room to functional in the future too, it would be really amazing.