PDA

View Full Version : Twist out/braid oiy challenge Starting December 1

GalaxyGirl2012
11-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Hey y'all!

This is primarily a STYLING challenge as opposed to growth/health challenge.
I've been nappy for a long time and still struggle with twist outs and braid outs, so I'm going to challenge myself to perfect these suckahs!

I'm going to focus on experimenting with techniques, products, and upkeep.

I'm officially starting the challenge December 1 to give myself time to research things to try.

Anyone else interested?

Princess Pamplemousse
11-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Me! Me! Pick me! Lol :-)) Seriously, I've been searching for the perfect technique a few years now myself. Are there any rules? Should we report back with pics of our better twistouts?

GalaxyGirl2012
11-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Yay! Join the twist out train

I was thinking of going on a schedule of 3 days in twists/braids and 3 days out. the 7th day would be for retwisting but of course people are free to work out their schedules however they want. I just don't want to manipulate my hair too much.

My goal is to get my twist outs to last to that 3rd day or even *dare I dream* longer.

The rules are posting products and techniques, and try to post a pic every now and then.

So far the products I'm wanting to try for twist outs are:

Darcy's Botanicals: Avocado & wild Plum Twisting Cream (glycerin free)
Avocado and Honey Twisting Cream

Aveda: Flax seed Aloe Strong Hold Sculpturing Gel
Brilliant anti-humectanct pomade

Oyin's : Shine n Define

From the bbs : Lottabody setting lotion

Fuzziwuz
11-14-2010, 05:38 PM
** Lurking **
:huh: Didn't know I needed gels for twist outs. No wonder my outs look jacked up. However I did stumble onto something through laziness... lol. Ordinarily my "outs" wouldn't last a day. It would be too soft (glycerin), fuzzy limp clumps. Any ways, one crazed look.

However one day I left a leave-in conditioner on damp hair and did 2 strand twists. By the end of the week it was still moisturized and obtained a cool twist out, that stood out like Coolio (IDK if that's a good thing) But any ways... the front resembled pineapple rinds pulled back and held it's place until I manipulated it. The back is a different story, since it's a different texture... knots on the ends of my hair. Next time i'll pay more attention to the entire head and the duration.
Products: a co-wash, rinse out conditioner and a tweaked Kimmay leave-in recipe.

starlightbeauty
11-14-2010, 05:53 PM
I'll join because I really need to perfect my braidouts. I recently tried a braidout for the first time and it came out horribly...

The only product I use is Eco-Styler. ....

Sometimes I might use ORS Jojoba oil.

ImNotMyHair
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
I've been wanting to get back to my twistouts that used to be my staple when I first cut my hair. I'll join!
I will try twistouts using:

EcoStyler Gel
Cantu Leave In + Black and Sassy Wrap cream - an old fav
Aveda Becurly
various leave in conditioners under my sink

GalaxyGirl2012
11-16-2010, 01:39 AM
hmmmm just plain conditioner. i never thought about that as a twist out product.

Princess Pamplemousse
11-25-2010, 05:24 PM
My hair would laugh if I tried to do a twist out with plain conditioner :-))

New development though! Two days ago I banded my hair into 20 sections. My hair's too long for the band (a headband lol) to go down the entire length of the lock of hair so I twisted the tips/ends. I used Cantu Shea Butter leave in and KC Curling Custard on freshly washed hair.

Awesomesauce :D pure awesomesauce. I think I have my staple style! No, it's not a "twist out" in the strictest sense, but it's close! And it sets my hair in a way twists never did. I think my hair doesn't deal well with being forced to take on another pattern. The banding lets the loose hair fall more naturally. I'm so happy you guys. I'm gonna spend the next few weeks tinkering with different product combos.
GG: that Aveda Flax seed gel is DA BOMB. I went to an Aveda Salon a few years ago and the stylist "finger styled" my hair with it. Very moisturizing I think. The Confixor is a nice gel too. Gel to the rescue! I love gel now! Can't wait to get my Afroveda Pur Whipped stuff.

Happy TG ladies!

starlightbeauty
11-25-2010, 05:32 PM
My hair is at the awkward length stage. I get tired of wearing my hair out in afros, but it takes so long to complete when I actually style it. I guess I'll do another chunky twistout sometime soon. I wish there were more style options though. lol There are times when I am totally lost.

oh, and I have yet to find a leave-in. Last week I was browsing Walmart and came across some of the Cantu-shea pomades. I also saw the cantu-shea butter, but it has petrolatum, something I've been trying to avoid. idk....Im so lost.

GalaxyGirl2012
11-25-2010, 05:45 PM
@ electra : i band with strips of panty hose. just make the strips thick and long enough. i wrap the entire hair section with the band so that the band is completely covering it. the tighter you do it the smoother the sets.

one thing i like about doing it that way is that i don't have to use small sections. i can 20-25 sections and get a a really cool look. combining with a braid out hair gives the same smooth results but it's also kind of shiny.

oh and when i say smooth, i don't mean it's dark and lovely motions hair smooth and silky :-)) my hair is much to thick and coarse for that.

GalaxyGirl2012
11-25-2010, 05:47 PM
oh, and I have yet to find a leave-in. Last week I was browsing Walmart and came across some of the Cantu-shea pomades. I also saw the cantu-shea butter, but it has petrolatum, something I've been trying to avoid. idk....Im so lost.
what are you looking for in a leave - in?

OHR
11-25-2010, 06:32 PM
i don't mean it's dark and lovely motions hair smooth and silky :-))
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd191/IlliaMaerna/MuttleyAni.gif

Princess Pamplemousse
11-25-2010, 06:39 PM

I feel you on the petrolatum front Starlight. I spent a long time stressing over that and mineral oil as well. Lately though, I don't discriminate like that #kanyeshrug. My hair's fairing well, and I still use shampoo (no cowashing only for me). If it ain't broke don't fix it lol. I'm going to try Qhems Burdock Root butter cream soon though..that one's free of all the "bad" stuff so maybe you could try it?

Thanks for the suggestion GG! I'm pretty sure I've seen pantyhose at the dollar store. Does your hair seem to dry quicker with the hose than with commercial hair bands?

starlightbeauty
11-25-2010, 11:02 PM
yall... The reason ive been trying to avoid petrolatum and mineral oil is because ive read so much negativity about it on the online natural community. Im still newly natural and dont have a whole lot of produts yet nor do i really know what to lookl for in a leave-in. Im still trying to make the switch. I had even been using a lusters moisturizer but yall know that has all the "bad" stuff in it. Lol. I feel u though electra. If it aint broke dont fix it.

starlightbeauty
11-25-2010, 11:09 PM
oh and thanks for the suggestion electra. :)

Olahh
11-26-2010, 02:15 PM
I would like to join in. I just learned a new technique. I will share and post pictures for u ladies. Someone gave me suggestions on how to post pics cause cut n paste wasnt working for me. So I gotta set that up.

I wanna perfect a braidout also. I am really bad at that.

GalaxyGirl2012
11-26-2010, 04:12 PM
yall... The reason ive been trying to avoid petrolatum and mineral oil is because ive read so much negativity about it on the online natural community..
as long as you use an SLS shampoo you should be OK. i think alot of people avoid it because SLS shampoo dries their hair hair

I would like to join in. I just learned a new technique. I will share and post pictures for u ladies. Someone gave me suggestions on how to post pics cause cut n paste wasnt working for me. So I gotta set that up.

I wanna perfect a braidout also. I am really bad at that.
yay! :D welcome

TMS
11-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Yay! Join the twist out train

I was thinking of going on a schedule of 3 days in twists/braids and 3 days out. the 7th day would be for retwisting but of course people are free to work out their schedules however they want. I just don't want to manipulate my hair too much.

My goal is to get my twist outs to last to that 3rd day or even *dare I dream* longer.

The rules are posting products and techniques, and try to post a pic every now and then.

So far the products I'm wanting to try for twist outs are:

Darcy's Botanicals: Avocado & wild Plum Twisting Cream (glycerin free)
Avocado and Honey Twisting Cream

Aveda: Flax seed Aloe Strong Hold Sculpturing Gel
Brilliant anti-humectanct pomade

Oyin's : Shine n Define

From the bbs : Lottabody setting lotion

Hello! How would you use the Lottabody? {o

mastone
11-26-2010, 08:22 PM
banding? what is that? can you take a picture of it and post next time you do it, so i can see what it looks like banded?

Princess Pamplemousse
11-26-2010, 10:16 PM
banding? what is that? can you take a picture of it and post next time you do it, so i can see what it looks like banded?

Yes'm. I could do that...but I bet I can find one online right now...gimme a sec

ETA: Here's one! You just wrap the headband around and around until you reach the bottom of your hair section/end of the band (whichever comes first). I do waaaay more sections than this lovely lady here though. 20 seems to be my magic number. Also...I don't worry about my parts lol this lady has her hair sectioned off into perfect geometric shapes! Not for me :*\

http://www.roshini.net/images/2003/11.13.1.jpg

GalaxyGirl2012
11-26-2010, 10:19 PM
@ TMS: just diluting it like normal and putting it on my hair sections before i braid.

AksanaAnais
11-27-2010, 02:30 AM
I'd def be down for this challenge. My hair is just reaching the length where I am beginning to actually like the way it looks in twists...the key word here is beginning. I'm at an awkward stage where I've just outgrown my twa so I only have about 4 inches all around. So at this point, twists seems to be my best bet.

I just twisted my hair last night and it looks really cute with a headband and/or a beanie. I think I may have a new style on my hands...as simplistic as it may sound. My avatar pic is how I'm going to be wearing "the do" for this challenge.

I figure I could aim for a 5-7 days in twists and 2-3 days with a twistout. Then repeat.

RunsWithScissors
11-29-2010, 06:18 PM
This is so me right now. I had been doing twists outs for the most part. But I have recently come to a new level of acceptance with the thinness of my hair and have been sporting mini twists for around 4 days and then 3 days of twist outs. My holy grail for the moment is twisting with Darcy's Botanical leave in or Oyin Honey Hemp Cond plus a touch of Burnt Sugar Pomade.

And as much as I envy all you thick-haired nappies...I'd probably have to jump out of a window if I had to deal with that much hair :D

sistasweetpea
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
I think I will join this challenge. I wore a twist out for the first time in a long time the last few days, and it turned out/lasted much longer than expected. I think I will wear my hair twisted for 2-3 days depending on what I have to do, then wear the twist out 3-4 days then wash. I twisted my hair using kinky curly knot today leave in, so I'll continue doing that unless it doesn't work again.

Padme32
11-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I am in. I am currently wearing a twist-out. I twisted my hair last Tuesday, un-twisted on Thanksgiving morning and for the first time it still looks pretty good after almost a week. I co-washed, detangled, and twisted using Qhemet Bio's burdock root cream; I didn't use any gel at all. And it has held very well.

Princess Pamplemousse
11-30-2010, 08:44 PM
...So the challenge officially starts tomorrow. Would it be presumptuous of me to demand pictures? What about if I asked nicely?

I think I'm bowing out of the challenge for now...too in love with bandouts to go back to the frustration of twistouts. But when my mini BF haul gets here (MJ's Curly Meringue and Stretch Silkener/Afroveda Almond and Ginger Twist Butter and PUR Gelly) I might be tempted to try again.

I'd still like seeing pics of everyone's attempts though...

jchay1975
11-30-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm in as well. Using Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque. It is a 'wash out' conditioner but I use it as a leave in and it works VERY well!

Padme32
11-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I am planning to re-do them this weekend, un-twist the beginning of next week and will post a pic. Hope get the same results!

Princess Pamplemousse
11-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Yay Padme!

starlightbeauty
11-30-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm going to actually wash my hair tonight and twist it. I wish I could leave them in longer, but I'll be taking the twists out tomorrow.

Psyann
11-30-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm in too ya'll!!! I tried a braidout the other day and this is what I got. It only half worked. I had to pin up the back and sides. lol

Let's see, I used on freshly washed and sopping wet hair
-Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Conditioning Milk
-Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Hold Smoothie
-Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist
then I had my mom cornrow my hair as small as she could. She has sworn never to braid my hair again. :-|:-)) I kept them for about 4 days, misting them daily with the moisture mist and oiling my scalp with a grapeseed, jojaba and tea tree oil mix. When I took the braids down, I kept the oil on my fingers as I took them down to reduce friction.

This was the first style I've done since taking down my locs, and I think that's why the back was awful. My hair was so thirsty and brittle. I wish I would have waited before cutting off my ends, because the barber cut off about 2 inches of length. UGH

Anyway, I'll be twisting my hair tonight for this challenge.

Oh and Electra, demanding pictures is cool, just as long as you supply pictures of what your hair looked like after your banding. How are you gonna leave us hanging like that. lol

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1200.snc4/155205_455910767404_584172404_5426247_5566784_n.jp g
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs945.snc4/73886_455911607404_584172404_5426266_1476816_n.jpg

sistasweetpea
12-01-2010, 03:25 AM
This is the twist out that I did last week and will be attempting to recreate

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/sistasweetpea/becff2f4-1.jpg

I cowashed with giovanni deeper moisture conditioner and detangled and twisted with kinky curly knot today. Here are my twists and I'll leave them in for a few days.

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/sistasweetpea/71c3f24b-1.jpg
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/sistasweetpea/eb0371cb-1.jpg
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/sistasweetpea/d7138ed1-1.jpg

I wish I had the time to do my twists a little smaller like I usually like them... sigh

Princess Pamplemousse
12-01-2010, 02:10 PM
@Psyann: I like the soft hold you've got going with the Curl Smoothie! It made my hair hard, dry and greasy. The twist out looked nice though 8) lol But your hair looks fluffy and moist! How long did the set last?

@sucutie: That twist pattern in your first pic is the one I want! I doubt I'll ever get it though :( Pretty.

I twisted my hair last night (band out got caught in the rain lol.) I'll be back with pics after I've spent a day outside btw classes. I like the pics now, but I just know it'll be puffy by the time I get back.

Psyann
12-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Electra, it's never gotten hard in my hair. hmm. It lasted about 3 days, but that was because I misted it after that 3rd day. It still had stretch, but it wasn't so crinkly. I actually liked it better when it was chunky. after day 5 I had to wash my hair though, because it felt gross. I think next time instead of spritzing it with the mist, I'll just use plain water. My hair felt so dirty.

ETA: Electra, I just remembered that I have to put oil over the smoothie to make it soft and moisturized. It did make my hair hard and dry that first time I used it. Once I learned how to seal it into my hair though, it works pretty well.

So I started twisting my hair last night but totally forgot I was twisting it when I started cooking dinner. I mean really, no one thought to tell me I was walking around the house with half twisted hair? :-| I wasn't using clips, I was just grab and pulling my damp hair. The twists I did finish have great hold in them though.

I guess I'll do flat twists this morning, since it's in the 30's today and I want to wear a hat. I'm going to use the same products. I'll have pictures later.

Olahh
12-01-2010, 03:08 PM
I washed my hair with kinky curly come clean. Conditioned with Aubrey Organics white camellia ultra smoothing. Rinse. Pat hair with towel a little so my hair will have some room to absord my leave in conditioner. I use Kimmaytube leave in. Twised hair.
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/Olahh/1291217826.jpg
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/Olahh/1291217961.jpg

Olahh
12-01-2010, 03:09 PM
plz excuse that piece sticking straight up lol!

btownyaknow
12-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I want to join. I actually just did twist last night so I'll post pics.

I used the following products:

Pink Lusters Moisturizer - please don't judge me. It was all I had in my cabinet
Garnier Fructis Crunch Curling Gel

I'm excited.

How do you add pics?

Princess Pamplemousse
12-01-2010, 05:59 PM
So as predicted...puffage. Last night I spritzed my hair with some water (reactivating some KCCC that I'd applied days before) and applied liquid shea to my hair in about 15 sections/twists. I spritzed the ends with extra water and put the tips on foam curling rods to hide their scraggly-ness lol. Need a trim. Excuse the stank face in the 2nd pic. I was reading a boring article as the webcam snapped.

Before:
https://exchange.amherst.edu/exchange/asaddler12/Inbox/RE:%20twistoutchallenge.EML/to.jpg/C58EA28C-18C0-4a97-9AF2-036E93DDAFB3/to.jpg?attach=1

After:
https://exchange.amherst.edu/exchange/asaddler12/Inbox/RE:%20twistoutchallenge.EML/to2.jpg/C58EA28C-18C0-4a97-9AF2-036E93DDAFB3/to2.jpg?attach=1

sissimpson
12-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm joining! I had my first successful twistout this past week. Twist-out for Thanksgiving, washed and DC'd Friday and twisted it back up. Twist-out Sunday for church, twisted back up Sunday night, wore twists through Wednesday, will probably pre-poo overnight tonight and wash and retwist Thursday.

starlightbeauty
12-01-2010, 07:28 PM
I was too busy to put my twists in last night. But I washed my hair and now my hair is dry.

Can a decent twistout be achieved if the twists are done on dry hair????

All of yall have gorgeous hair! :) Olahh, you have gorgeous skin. :D

Electra, I can never see any of the pics you post, but I'm having trouble with this page, plus, some amherst message keeps popping up. lol

Olahh
12-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Thank U Starlightbeauty.. Electra do i have to be PANK to view ur pics? or is there a password. I keep getting a message too. I kno u have long hair and i wanna c, i wanna c :-)

Psyann
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Me 3 with Electra's pictures. It crashed my chrome. I was coming back in here to say something, and you ladies beat me to it. ^_^
I am too mad though, because I wanted to see Electra's hair. lol

I washed and put my hair in 4 big "Nettie" type flat twists. I only used Suave Naturals coconut conditioner, which I know my hair will probably just laugh at, but I was in a rush to pick up my son and didn't want to go out with wet hair. lol I'll take a few pictures here in a bit. I'll probably spritz with the Shea Moisture mist, and then add a bit of castor oil. I think I'll take them down tomorrow. I'll add all the pictures then.

Princess Pamplemousse
12-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Lol Clearly, I'm doing something wrong :-)) School me y'all! How do you upload your pics? Is everyone operating with fotki or what...

Padme32
12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Lol Clearly, I'm doing something wrong :-)) School me y'all! How do you upload your pics? Is everyone operating with fotki or what...

I've had trouble posting pics, too, so I will be taking notes as well!

Psyann
12-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Just right click on the picture and select copy image url. Once that's done, click the picture of the mountains at the top of this box to insert the image. You can also paste the image url between the brackets right here Hope this helps ya'll.

Princess Pamplemousse
12-01-2010, 09:50 PM
^^what if the image is saved to your hard drive? there is no url (not one i can find anyway)

starlightbeauty
12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I know you can go to tinypic.com for a url.

Psyann
12-01-2010, 09:56 PM
^^what if the image is saved to your hard drive? there is no url (not one i can find anyway)

As a pank, you can upload them as attachments from your computer like Dezi did. *WAVES AT DEZI* But I think only other panks can see them. You can do like starlightbeauty said, and they won't save your pictures (I think) or you can use your fotki if you have one. I use my fotki, photobucket and facebook, since I upload pictures to all 3 for different reasons.

Oh, and to upload them as attachments, you will click on the paper clip at that's next to the white smiley face.

AksanaAnais
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm in my old set of twists...this is day 6. I'm not sure when I'll take them down but will update when I do.

sistasweetpea
12-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I use photobucket to upload my pics

wargoddess
12-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Oh - I'll give this one a try...did my first twist-out over the weekend. I was really happy with the results, but I'm sure I could make it better.

Padme32
12-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Just right click on the picture and select copy image url. Once that's done, click the picture of the mountains at the top of this box to insert the image. You can also paste the image url between the brackets right here Hope this helps ya'll.

Thanks...I have a Mac, though and am still trying to figure out how to make my image a URL...if I can figure it out, I'll post pics1

GalaxyGirl2012
12-02-2010, 01:54 AM
i'll be doing my first twist out Friday evening for a work party.

My plan is to wear these medium sized twists until then (i'lll rinse my hair Thursday evening) and take them out friday after work.

i guess these are going to be my starting point twistouts to compare with over the next few weeks because i probably wont be using any product besides some AOHC that i put on after my rinse.

RunsWithScissors
12-02-2010, 01:57 AM
As a pank, you can upload them as attachments from your computer like Dezi did. *WAVES AT DEZI* But I think only other panks can see them.

*Waves back at Psyann* Oh snap, my bad...I didn't realize only panks see the attachments. I uploaded them with Forum Runner on my phone and it automatically saved them as attachments.

I am on day 4 of this twistout. It was twisted for 6 days, rinsed twice before doing the twist-out. So I am pleased with how long it's lasted. I do miss daily co-washes though.
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_K6X51AO1Yjc/TPcKGwTIUDI/AAAAAAAAAfQ/YFiwOsFDKMc/s400/IMAG0874.jpg

GalaxyGirl2012
12-02-2010, 01:57 AM
Loving the twist out pics so far!

you guys get good definition

btownyaknow
12-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Here is a link to my twist - I just put them in last night. I'll be taking them out in the next few days. I'll post more pics.

http://yfrog.com/9ghaj0j

any product tips?

Jill Tez
12-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Im starting as well love....I guess Ill Join..Twisted and used some of Ms.Jessie's Curl Buttercreme today so lets see how this goes

GalaxyGirl2012
12-02-2010, 03:11 AM
@ dezi that's a 4 day twist out :huh:
WOW I'm impressed. I'd have to hermetically seal my head in order to get that kind of definition after 4 days.

Psyann
12-02-2010, 03:11 AM
Hey GG, what does rinsing do? Does it help, or do you just do it as a cleaning method? I've heard of people doing this, but I didn't know what the purpose was.

ETA, Dezi, I'm loving your twistout!!!

GalaxyGirl2012
12-02-2010, 03:19 AM
i'm mainly rinsing because i've been hitting the gym hard this week and every day my twists have been damp at the roots from sweat or full on dripping wet.

the main part that sucks about it is that it nullifies any product for hold i'd put on my hair when i first do the twists.. redoing the twists mid week isn't an option because i'd rather be sleeping

Olahh
12-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I use photobucket also. They got a mobile website too. U can send pics to photobucket right from ur phone.

RunsWithScissors
12-03-2010, 02:32 AM
@ dezi that's a 4 day twist out :huh:
WOW I'm impressed. I'd have to hermetically seal my head in order to get that kind of definition after 4 days.

I'm shocked I got that many days. Because I don't care about shrinkage, I twist on very wet hair. It seems to make a difference.

But I am washing and re-twisting tonight. My scalp is not a happy camper, it is itching like hell. This has been the first time since I've gone natural that I didn't co-wash at least twice a week.

Everyone's hair looks great. Next week I'm going to try some braid outs:o. I pretty much suck at them, but since this is a style challenge, no better time to try to master the technique.

btownyaknow
12-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I took my twist out this morning to rock this weekend…

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&ik=90532315cb&view=att&th=12cacc8eba518694&attid=0.1&disp=inline&zw

I’m very happy with the results - to alleviate itchy a friend recommend a bit of tree oil diluted into another oil such as coconut or jojoba oil. I did that last night and it really worked.

I love everyone’s photos. Looking good :)

Have a great weekend.

Princess Pamplemousse
12-04-2010, 03:59 AM
Here's hoping this one works :) I did this twist out right after a henna app. I used a shea/castor oil mix that made my hair greasy as heck lol But I actually think it would've lasted a while if I hadn't been caught in the rain immediately. I think I have a serious aversion to umbrellas. ETA: Dang I miss the days when my ends looked like this! How can so much damage be done in two months! Need to figure out the salon sitch asap.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2vuc6de.jpg

Princess Pamplemousse
12-04-2010, 04:33 AM
And bandout from last week. Excuse my "stop taking pics of me as I chop onions" face.
http://i55.tinypic.com/2podxms.jpg

Ms-gg
12-04-2010, 05:15 AM
Aren't you beautiful Electra :)

I love your "outs" gimme gimme gimme your hair lol!

sistasweetpea
12-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Electra, I love both of your outs also. I love that look but can't ever seem to get it like that

coilycurly
12-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Here's hoping this one works :) I did this twist out right after a henna app. I used a shea/castor oil mix that made my hair greasy as heck lol But I actually think it would've lasted a while if I hadn't been caught in the rain immediately. I think I have a serious aversion to umbrellas. ETA: Dang I miss the days when my ends looked like this! How can so much damage be done in two months! Need to figure out the salon sitch asap.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2vuc6de.jpg

Awesome hair!!!

Natrlchallenge
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm 5 months post relaxer and I can't wait to be able to do real twist outs or braids. Right now, I have to use a scrunchie to hold the style. I can't wait until it is not necessary.

RunsWithScissors
12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
to alleviate itchy a friend recommend a bit of tree oil diluted into another oil such as coconut or jojoba oil. I did that last night and it really worked.

I'll have to try that next time I get the itches.

Electra....your hair is GORGEOUS!

I didn't have time to do mini twists the other night, so I didn't leave the twists in. But the twist-out looked nice. I'll re-twist in to mini ones on Sunday while watching the ball games.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_K6X51AO1Yjc/TPphUgbeqQI/AAAAAAAAAfc/zCi5CBXCyV8/s400/IMAG0886.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_K6X51AO1Yjc/TPphTxum36I/AAAAAAAAAfU/CBb_-ZDjs1Y/s400/IMAG0890.jpg

GalaxyGirl2012
12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
sorry y'all i couldnt get a pic because i had 45 minutes to run home and get ready for my work party (including doing my hair! ) i just pinned my twist out into a updo with side bangs. it was really cute..

too bad i didnt get a picture :-|

starlightbeauty
12-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Nice pics everyone. Dezi that is great definition and so cute!

And Electra, its so fluffy and long! I am jealous. lol

Anyway, I finally put some two-strand twists in last night. lol.
They look wonderful and I'm gonna rock 'em as a style.
I plan to take them down on Monday for a twistout.

sistasweetpea
12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Here is twist out day one. Hopefully it lasts until at least Monday.
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/sistasweetpea/3d27f61c-1.jpg

Olahh
12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Ladies, yall have pretty twist outs.. Electra I can't wait until my hair gets that long. I will be shaking my hair and twisting my tail when my hair reaches that length.:D

Princess Pamplemousse
12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks so very much ladies! My hair feeds on positive energy :)

ms-gg I've been stalking your blog and adventures in haircutting for months now...if I ever work up the courage to start over and cut the splits at the roots, I'll send you all the cut strands via usps ;)

Ladies! How are you getting your hair so sheeny/shiny? Does your hair look like that straight from the shower or are you using some rare and exotic butter? (looking at Dezi and Sucutie especially! the light is just glinting off of your hair!).

sistasweetpea
12-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I think my hair gets like that when it's well moisturized. All I used was a lil leave in (kinky curly knot today) when I was twisting and coconut oil when I took the twists out. Thanks for the compliment though! :)

Padme32
12-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Everyone's hair is awesome. Didn't get around to re-doing my twists this weekend, just had so much to do. So I'm still rocking my twist-out from almost 2 weeks ago, which is good right? I am gently wearing it back from my face, though. Maybe I will take a pic of that...

starlightbeauty
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Okay, so Im anticipating taking my twists down tomorrow, but I really wanna take them down NOW. lol. The twists came out really well, and I am just itchin to see how this is gonna come out. I'll be patient til tomorrow though. ;) :-))

starlightbeauty
12-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Took my twists down this morning. My hair is...blah. lol :-))

Maybe this is just me being never satisfied,....but I guess it came out okay. I'm trying to perfect this style. I've found that wearing twistouts only makes me more aware of just how fine my hair actually is (something I haven't quite accepted yet). But I'm trying to get good at it.

On a brighter note, my hair has finally begun to 'hang down'. I'll see how long this twistout lasts.

Olahh
12-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Give us some pictures, Starlightbeauty. We wanna cccccccc.

Psyann
12-06-2010, 02:57 PM
So those chunky twists I had were tragic because I didn't put anything on them like I said I would. lol I just re flat twisted the top to the side, and put a hat on it. The back was penned down under the hat. I thought it was pretty cute. Just not what I wanted. It was a great save for the day though.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1178.snc4/155031_464087432404_584172404_5536739_3738135_n.jp g

The next day (Friday), I chose to flat twist the front, and 2stwist the back. The back will never see the light of day. I twisted wet, so my shrinkage was insane. These pictures are from today. I used the same products as the braid out, except I sealed with castor oil. They are still moisturized and soft. I'm gonna try to wear them for the rest of the week, and do the out this weekend. Hats are calling my name, but I'm so curious to see the results.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs599.ash2/155172_465881582404_584172404_5565782_4600023_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1194.snc4/154678_465881532404_584172404_5565780_3600993_n.jp g

Padme32
12-06-2010, 06:21 PM
So those chunky twists I had were tragic because I didn't put anything on them like I said I would. lol I just re flat twisted the top to the side, and put a hat on it. The back was penned down under the hat. I thought it was pretty cute. Just not what I wanted. It was a great save for the day though.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1178.snc4/155031_464087432404_584172404_5536739_3738135_n.jp g

The next day (Friday), I chose to flat twist the front, and 2stwist the back. The back will never see the light of day. I twisted wet, so my shrinkage was insane. These pictures are from today. I used the same products as the braid out, except I sealed with castor oil. They are still moisturized and soft. I'm gonna try to wear them for the rest of the week, and do the out this weekend. Hats are calling my name, but I'm so curious to see the results.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs599.ash2/155172_465881582404_584172404_5565782_4600023_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1194.snc4/154678_465881532404_584172404_5565780_3600993_n.jp g

You hair looks great in those 2nd and 3rd photos! And I think the hat looked really cute on you, too! I am terrible at flat twisting and cornrowing, :( I should practice more.

Princess Pamplemousse
12-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Give us some pictures, Starlightbeauty. We wanna cccccccc.

That's what I'm saying lol I'm watching you starlight...

So I did another set of twists bc my MJ bf order arrived on Thursday. I left them in until Sunday morning. So today is Day 2 of the actual twistout. I'm faithfully taking a pic per day. Will post them all once I switch styles. Here's hoping it lasts until at least wednesday!

Still watching you Starlight...

Psyann those flat twists are on point :)

Psyann
12-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks ya'll. Those are my best flat twists to date.

So I'm torn. I want a shiny, hanging and gorgeously, defined twist out like sucutie and Dezi, but I also want that insanely big, full and beautiful hair that electra has. I hope I'll be able to do both. *sigh* Not only can I not make up my mind, I also can't get my hair to do either. :-)) I guess I need to probably also wait for my hair to grow a bit more. I don't have hang yet anyway. Here's hoping that this twist out gives me good results. haha

Starlight, I'm watching you too!!! You keep posting all this stuff everywhere, and I keep thinking I'm gonna get a a peek at your hair. You're a photo tease. :-))

Oh and GG:-| @ you for not getting pictures. New pictures of you are always too few and far between. lol

Olahh
12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Luv those flat twists Psaynn . What technique did u use to achieve that style?

I am washing and working on a style tonight..

starlightbeauty
12-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Here are some! I plan to remove them after a while. So don't quote. lol Just a sneak peek. I'm starting to like it a bit more. I wasn't really in love with it this morning. But as usual, I got compliments, so that cheered me up. :p

http://i53.tinypic.com/rgz5ud.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/14twocg.jpg

Princess Pamplemousse
12-06-2010, 11:45 PM
I love the kink in the first picture and the color in the second starlight :)) I need to go back and see what your methods were....

ETA: What do you mean when you say you're hair is fine? Are the strands really skinny? If so, it's tough to tell because its so dense! It looks like you've got a lotta hair on that head--looking good to me!

starlightbeauty
12-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks, Electra!

I don't have any fancy methods. All I used was eco-styler and just did the best I could with two-strand twisting. I'm still sort of a newb to styling. lol

I took close up shots so yall could see the definition, but I'm pretty sure my hair is fine. If you were to dig your hands in my hair you'd immediately feel scalp.

As for my strands...I think they're skinny...but I'm really not sure if their average size or medium or not...idk. I just know that my hair is really soft. When I wear my afro, it looks and feels like cotton.

I'm not really sure...the whole thing just confuses me. :-))

Olahh
12-07-2010, 03:50 AM
Looks like a fluffy twist out. Ur hair does look soft and the color is pretty. U will get the desired definition of a twist out with practice. Mines were fluffy on my first few attempts. Keep posting those pics.

starlightbeauty
12-07-2010, 03:54 AM
Thanks! That's my real hair color too.

Olahh
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
:o

Well last night I washed my hair with kinky curly come clean and creme of nature moisture extreme conditioner w/chamomile & comfrey. When I took it down, I didnt like the way it was shaped. Shaped like BoZo?s fro:-)) I took the pic in a angle so yall wont c how crazy I look. Imma show the good and the bad. Trial and error ladies. Its suppose to be a braid out.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/Olahh/1291749535.jpg
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd494/Olahh/1291749585.jpg

starlightbeauty
12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/2r40pwz.jpg

starlightbeauty
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
^ This is day 2 of it. It' a little more fro-ish today. But I'm okay with that.

Olahh, you don't look like a clown to me. It isn't bad at all. Your hair looks really silky. :)

Olahh
12-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks im going to pin up the sides I think that would make it better.

@Starlight.....I like the shunken fro look after a twist out. To jazz up the look. LIghtly gel ur edges all around and nape of ur neck,. Then I put a shiny oil in my hair like jojoba oil.

U kno what, this is random but I think it would be cool if we had jojoba, coconut, sweet almond or any 100% natural oil in a spray can; for light, even and quick distribution. Just like oil sheen.

Princess Pamplemousse
12-08-2010, 01:59 PM
My hair doesn't like all those oils but I agree with the idea! Regular spray bottles don't measure up to the strong misting abilities of oil sheen lol.

starlightbeauty
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Okay.....I think I can call it a "curly fro" today (day 3)

I'm still trying to grow my edges back (had a rough transition)....so I've been try to leave my edges alone for a while.

I don't use many products on my hair. I put in some castor oil (yeah, in the "grease" form lol). I put it all through my hair. It gives it a decent sheen, but I'm unsure if it's really been helping my edges at all, I'll probably have to go and get some of the pure stuff.

Padme32
12-08-2010, 09:22 PM
Ok, I co-washed my hair and twisted it this morning. I plan on taking them out Friday morning (taking son to a Christmas party that afternoon) and will try to post pics late Friday.

Princess Pamplemousse
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Here's an extreme close up of my....ear. Lol and also my banding. And then here's the hair released from the bands. But before fluffing. This totally meets the criteria of the challenge too! The ends/tips of each section were twisted lol.

http://i53.tinypic.com/jkaem8.jpghttp://i55.tinypic.com/9an41c.jpg

Princess Pamplemousse
12-09-2010, 09:35 PM
I feel like our little thread is about to get shut down, but Olahh your cornrows (or are they flat twists?) are amazing. Jealous of you and Psyann :( My flat twists aren't fit to be seen out of the house and my cornrows don't exist. Each little section (of a single braid/twist) is indistinguishable from the other two or three by the end. They look like I just roll hair together 8) I think that's why my twist/braid outs don't look as defined as the others I see. I need to perfect it but I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

Psyann
12-09-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm drooling over your hair Electra. OMG your profile picture is hair porn!!! I really like the banding results. I want to try it, but I worry that I don't have the length to do large portions. I'll do it after this twistout.

I'm gonna take my twists down tonight so that I can photograph myself for my website bio. I'll be back with later with pictures. If I don't come back with pictures, it's because this headache kicked my butt, and I never got around to my hair or the photoshoot. lol

Oh, I've been doing maintenance on my twists. I misted them with the Shea Moisture mist, and I sealed it with a very small amount of castor oil.

Olahh
12-09-2010, 09:48 PM
Thx, they r cornrows with two strand twisted ends. I have a long ways to go with flat twists. Luv ur hair, lots of luster, full and dark.

Psyann
12-09-2010, 09:48 PM
I feel like our little thread is about to get shut down, but Olahh your cornrows (or are they flat twists?) are amazing. Jealous of you and Psyann :( My flat twists aren't fit to be seen out of the house and my cornrows don't exist. Each little section (of a single braid/twist) is indistinguishable from the other two or three by the end. They look like I just roll hair together 8) I think that's why my twist/braid outs don't look as defined as the others I see. I need to perfect it but I don't know what I'm doing wrong :(

Yea, I was actually shocked to see it was still open. lol Girl, my cornrows are nonexistent too. Practice is what has my flat twists looking so nice. I haven't worn them out though, because my two strand twists look like poo poo. lol I think it's because I grabbed and pulled though. I don't even try to braid, my plaits and cornrows suck. I thought all women knew how to plait good. I can't plait tight for nothing. *sigh*

We'll get it right one day Electra.

Oh, Olahh, did you fix your hair. I never part down the middle, because my face isn't shaped right for the look. lol But yours didn't look bad. An easy pin up job, or tucked twists could have fixed it if you didn't really care for it. The definition was great, way too good to not wear out. (:-)

starlightbeauty
12-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Oh... so that's what bandouts are! aha! :-))

Very neat! :)

My hair is very fuzzy today. The curl is still defined in some parts of my hair, but it's basically very bushy. They style is worn/wearing out (but I've still been getting compliments). My wash day is on Fridays, I'm unsure what I want to do with it, but I'll see.

And psyann, I hope I've lessened up on being a "photo tease" to you/y'all. lol

Psyann
12-09-2010, 10:34 PM
Oh... so that's what bandouts are! aha! :-))

Very neat! :)

My hair is very fuzzy today. The curl is still defined in some parts of my hair, but it's basically very bushy. They style is worn/wearing out (but I've still been getting compliments). My wash day is on Fridays, I'm unsure what I want to do with it, but I'll see.

And psyann, I hope I've lessened up on being a "photo tease" to you/y'all. lol

LoL, yea you have. Your hair reminds me of mine when it was shorter.

Olahh
12-10-2010, 01:48 PM
It looked better when my hair shrunk and fluffed a lil, so I wore it out like that. Yesterday I pulled my hair up into a high pony puff w/ twistout definition. I tested some pin up looks and I liked them.

Padme32
12-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Ok, tried to take pics of my twist out and both sets of batteries need to be charged. May not get to posting until later or sometime this weekend. I think it turned out pretty good. I always like sleeping it a day or two and fluffing it, seems to take some of wildness out of a fresh twist-out, lol.