PDA

View Full Version : Exercise - 1 ; Naural hair transition - 0

sophiiblu
11-16-2010, 12:50 AM
Hi everyone!

I have been on my natural journey for about 2 months and I'm a bit frustrated on two fronts. First, I jog daily and am a bit of a sweater. I'm at a loss as to how to preserve my hair (wearing twist outs and truly don't want braids) after I run. It's pretty thick, and when it ends up all sweaty, it's done. I'm doing a transition, so I still have about 2-3 inches of relaxed hair and then my outgrowing roots. I've already left a message with my hairdresser to have the BC done tomorrow, but I'm a bit nervous about how much I'll miss my hair.

Any thoughts for how I can keep my hair intact? Also, when I do twist outs, my hair is really curled tight, but then it becomes a 'fro by day 3. Any thoughts on how to keep the twists intact?

Maybe I'm just being unreasonable for my hair, but I won't learn unless I ask. Oh! I think I'm a 4b.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :)

sm116
11-16-2010, 01:13 AM
First off, CONGRATS on setting up the BC! It can take a lot of courage, but hang tough. Most ladies I've seen with the TWA look downright regal. I was pretty insecure about my 2nd chop, but buying some new earrings helped. :)

How long is the natural portion of your hair? Sweating might not be a concern if you cut it down to 3" or less.

Any thoughts for how I can keep my hair intact? Also, when I do twist outs, my hair is really curled tight, but then it becomes a 'fro by day 3. Any thoughts on how to keep the twists intact?

I don't have any twist-out tips for you, but I'm sure that (1) gel + hair dryer can extend the lifetime of any style, depending on your texture, or (2) retwisting nightly may help it stretch.

I love water but dislike "work" so I aim for an all-week style--twists, or the classic puff. (My styles for this length, anyway...) Sweat is not an issue with either since they can both be rinsed ok w/ my texture.

Maybe I'm just being unreasonable for my hair, but I won't learn unless I ask. Oh! I think I'm a 4b.

Hate to say... but you may not know 100% until you cut and then compare w/ others.

~*starrpie*~
11-16-2010, 01:22 AM
I had the same prob w/keeping my twist for more than 2 weeks.I found that if I braid the roots about 3 times then start twisting it last for as long as I want/need it to:)

sophiiblu
11-16-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm seeing more new growth around the sides and back of my hair than the top. I'm only two months into my transition, so I'm thinking it's gonna be soooo short. Would like it to grow out, though. My mother and I are going through a rough patch, so I haven't seen her in a while. She's a hairdresser; I've been getting relaxers since I was about 3 (hair was super long/super thick). I've lost a dress size (the jogging is doing wonders; just registered to train for my first marathon) and my hair is gonna be the shortest its ever been. Her eyes are gonna fall out and bounce around on the tiled floor of her foyer when she sees me. :-/

sophiiblu
11-16-2010, 01:38 AM
I like the braid/twist method. I may try that tonight. On one hand, I see that people are saying I need to keep my hands outta my hair and avoid handling it a lot. But then I just read somewhere that braiding/twisting might stretch my hair (I'm reading all over the web for info, so I'm not sure if I read that here or somewhere else). Which is good?