PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain why hair can be straight permanently after a press n curl

alicia2364
11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
I wrote the thread about "why go to the salon" and came back and wrote about it in another thread. Well, when I washed my hair after the press n curl two small section stayed straight and refuse to curl. It looks like "permie hair" (which I hate). I did not even get it flat iron, just pressed with a slight bump under. This was the first time in a year that I had my hair straightened and it was only for an accurate trim. My question is this "what actually happens to the hair during pressing/flat iron to make the curl pattern uncurl. I have washed my hair twice since then and nothing. I have regular 4b hair. Even though it is only noticable to me I still hate it and now become paranoid about ever getting my hair straightened again. I understand with a relaxer the lye lifts and dissolves some of cuticle (about 50%) then it breaks the bond that gives us our curl so our hair becomes straight, but heat doesn't have this power...at least I don't think...???

tenachie
11-17-2010, 11:37 AM
It looks like "permie hair" (which I hate). I did not even get it flat iron, just pressed with a slight bump under. This was the first time in a year that I had my hair straightened and it was only for an accurate trim. My question is this "what actually happens to the hair during pressing/flat iron to make the curl pattern uncurl.

Yes that is what happens when you get a BURNlaxer.

mikou
11-17-2010, 11:45 AM
The goal with heat is to soften the hair bonds so you can mold the hair into a different shape (curl or straight, et cetera). However, too much heat in one spot (if the iron heats unevenly, if you miss a spot with heat protectant or if you hold the iron too long on one spot) can denature the protein. That means the bond is softened it to the point that the bond breaks or loses its shape or permanently takes on a different shape. It is the same process that happens when you hard boil an egg (http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus/question616.htm).

Once the denaturing happens, the hair can't hold its curly shape, just like you can't revert a hard boiled egg.

Heat is a gamble every time. Having experienced heat damage myself I no longer feel it's worth the risk.

Dani F
11-17-2010, 11:47 AM
I believe heat can permently burn your hair straight. Its gets so hot that your hair can be permently damaged. Just like heat can burn your skin it will can your hair.

Diane8783
11-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Why is this topic being discussed on this board?
I thought it was forbidden.
I personally do not want to hear or read anything about straightening hair!!!!!!!!!

OHR
11-17-2010, 12:01 PM
OP: Until the mods shut this thread down and send it to oblivion, check out
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2368320#post2368320. Hope you can regain your natural tresses.

Karibana
11-17-2010, 01:26 PM
The goal with heat is to soften the hair bonds so you can mold the hair into a different shape (curl or straight, et cetera). However, too much heat in one spot (if the iron heats unevenly, if you miss a spot with heat protectant or if you hold the iron too long on one spot) can denature the protein. That means the bond is softened it to the point that the bond breaks or loses its shape or permanently takes on a different shape. It is the same process that happens when you hard boil an egg (http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/menus/question616.htm).

Once the denaturing happens, the hair can't hold its curly shape, just like you can't revert a hard boiled egg.

I knew of heat damage, didn't know the specifics of how it happens. Learned something new today.

bhop13
11-17-2010, 01:28 PM
You have heat damage. Heat will burn your hair straight or just burn the pattern away and I'm thinking a pressing comb will do it a lot faster than a flat iron.

alicia2364
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
The board is against the use of chemical relaxers to straighten hair. Being able to press our hair is one of the wonderful diverse things about natural hair. There are some that transition with the press n curl (such as my daughter for two years). But hey, if that what it took for her to go completely natural then so be it. Some people want to change up. This board is not just about questions regarding natural hair being styled naturally. Its about natural hair and all the options you have with it and questions regarding those options. There are people who chose to protect their natural hair in the winter with straight wigs and weaves and may have questions about that and that a good thing and should be encouraged. As long as people with natural hair have questions about natural hair in any form including pressing, curling, twisting, locing, braiding, weaving, wiging (new word )trimming, headbands, transitioning, washing, conditioning, bc...etc. The ultimate goal is still the same...to rock natural hair chemical free and any questions you have that helps you accomplish that goal or give you a better understanding of in and outs of natural hair then I say "thread on". By asking my question I now understand the science behind how the pressing comb works to straighten hair. This thread might even help someone else who is thinking about pressing their hair. You dont know if you dont ask. I feel that thanks to the ladies of nappturality with this new understanding I am capable of making a better informed educated decision regarding the care of my natural hair, and isnt that what this is all about.....but I could be wrong, just this one woman's opinion

alicia2364
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM
OHRHONDA thanks for the thread. I guess the board is against heat straighening but I still stand by my words

bhop13
11-17-2010, 01:41 PM
The board is against the use of chemical relaxers to straighten hair. Being able to press our hair is one of the wonderful diverse things about natural hair. There are some that transition with the press n curl (such as my daughter for two years). But hey, if that what it took for her to go completely natural then so be it. Some people want to change up. This board is not just about questions regarding natural hair being styled naturally. Its about natural hair and all the options you have with it and questions regarding those options. There are people who chose to protect their natural hair in the winter with straight wigs and weaves and may have questions about that and that a good thing and should be encouraged. As long as people with natural hair have questions about natural hair in any form including pressing, curling, twisting, locing, braiding, weaving, wiging (new word )trimming, headbands, transitioning, washing, conditioning, bc...etc. The ultimate goal is still the same...to rock natural hair chemical free and any questions you have that helps you accomplish that goal or give you a better understanding of in and outs of natural hair then I say "thread on". By asking my question I now understand the science behind how the pressing comb works to straighten hair. This thread might even help someone else who is thinking about pressing their hair. You dont know if you dont ask. I feel that thanks to the ladies of nappturality with this new understanding I am capable of making a better informed educated decision regarding the care of my natural hair, and isnt that what this is all about.....but I could be wrong, just this one woman's opinion

Actually the board is also against talk of using heat to style your hair. Mod T literally just made a pinned thread at the top of this forum about BURNLAXING (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134598).

Mirah Nirvana
11-17-2010, 01:52 PM
From the home page:

Nappturality is all about acceptance of our hairtype and not carrying false expectations of what it can or can't be or do.
It's not about taking the easy road and conforming.
It's not about destroying your hair through continual straightening.
It's about accepting yourself and your hair as it was intended to be.
That's what NAPPTURALITY is.

I think that's why its NAPPturality instead of NATurality; to encourage wearing your hair in its NAPPtural state.

I hope your hair recovers, OP.

gr2006
11-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Actually the board is also against talk of using heat to style your hair. Mod T literally just made a pinned thread at the top of this forum about BURNLAXING (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134598).

^^ what she said OP.

Although what you said may be true, there are other places where you can discuss doing these sorts of things but NP definitely ain't one of 'em.

As a guest, it's always good netiquette to respect the very clearly written rules of the house.

Good luck OP and I hope your hair recovers. Try doing some hard protein treatments (Aphogee 2-step). It may help your hair recover.