PDA

View Full Version : Pure jojoba or castor oil to moisturize?

OneikaTraveller
11-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Hey Napp family,

I have yet another question. I live in Hong Kong and it's hard for me to find any hair products geared toward Black hair. My hair has been ridiculously dry lately and I'm looking for ways to remedy that.

I was looking at some of nappyheadedgirl's vids on youtube and she suggested using pure glycerin to moisturize locs.

I went into the natural food store yesterday to try and find some but they didn't have any. Instead, I saw pure jojoba oil (liquid-y) and pure castor oil (also in liquid form). Would any of these be good to use to keep my hair moisturized?

If I can use them, would I be able to apply any of these directly to my scalp? Or would I have to dilute with water?

I've been using olive oil diluted with water to moisturize but I can't stand the smell and feel that it is sitting "on top" of my hair and not being absorbed.

akilamonique
11-29-2010, 07:34 AM
My hair :)) castor oil. Every other oil is too thin.

KnottyAuthor
11-29-2010, 12:43 PM
It's your call and depends on the density of your hair. Find what your hair likes and dislikes and that's what you go with. I mix castor and oliveoil. My hair is mega dense. Jojoba is a light oil, good for those with a straighter texture...or those with baby locks bc it won't cause too much slip; but, will feed the hair. hth.

AuNappturale
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
^^^ITA. You may have to try them all to see what works for you. I use castor oil on my 4B hair. Sometimes, I apply it directly to my locs while they're wet. Other times, I mix it in a spritz and apply it in the shower with all the heat and steam going on.

My scalp doesn't like much on it, so I don't apply oils directly to my scalp.

kreyola
11-29-2010, 01:51 PM
I use Jojoba (it one of the main ingredient in my moisture treatment) and I love that fact that it is a light oil. For me Jojoba does it job by keeping my locks well moisturize. Don't know if sizes play a factor or not.

akilamonique
11-29-2010, 04:05 PM
^^^ITA. You may have to try them all to see what works for you. I use castor oil on my 4B hair. Sometimes, I apply it directly to my locs while they're wet. Other times, I mix it in a spritz and apply it in the shower with all the heat and steam going on.

My scalp doesn't like much on it, so I don't apply oils directly to my scalp.

That is exactly what I do. Then I put it on my scalp. On days I don't wash, it's in my spritz bottle. My hair loves it, that is why i'm hesitant to switch, but I was curious what all the hype is about it.

Himmy
11-29-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree about the difference in oils and what your babies and scalp will like. I am the jojoba oil queen do ya hear me? I have to oil my scalp every other day, so for me it works better then anything I have ever used, especially since it's a light oil. I usually add a little coconut oil and some type of fragrant oil to my spritz bottle and spray my scalp every two days. My scalp and locz love it.

OneikaTraveller
11-30-2010, 07:49 AM
My hair is super super dry despite frequent conditioning (just my hair texture, I guess), so I think that I'll run out and get the castor oil (though, it's going to cost me an arm and a leg- a bottle in the health food store in Hong Kong is selling for $12 USD)!!

Thanks for the advice, ladies! I'm working on getting an album together... I actually already have a fotki but haven't added pics to it in over a year!

animina
12-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Personally I have recently discovered that my hair LOVES castor oil. I bought a big jug from oils by nature.com and mixed it with african herbals and it wasn't anything to write home about. I recently just put the straight CO into a squeeze bottle, applied to my scalp and massaged through my hair after the shower....moisturized for days!! It has served me well these couple weeks. I will continue this in my routine. Oils by nature is my favorite site for oils and butters, it's affordable and you get A LOT!

OneikaTraveller
12-08-2010, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I went out and bought the pure castor oil on Sunday, and guess what? My hair LOVES it! It feels totally different now- way softer and has a bit of a sheen. I was worried about the smell, but that hasn't been an issue. I am so so very pleased.

I'm thinking as well that the castor oil might be a good "setting lotion" for when I'm doing curls?

What do you think?

caheglar
12-08-2010, 01:52 AM
I just started my locks a month ago, however what I have found Jojoa oil to work very well. I love it.

rootsbynature
11-13-2011, 02:34 AM
I just started using jojoba oil!
its very light but it gets the job done!
i even add it to my water for a daily spritz!
i l o v e i t !
although, i've never tried castor oil :D

coalblacklocs
11-13-2011, 04:45 AM
can you find pure aloe vera juice?

My hair loves aloe vera juice (it's very moisturizing) and then top it with castor oil. It's all I use. I put a little cedar oil in with the castor oil. My scalp loves that. It's good on for the skin and makes the castor oil smell nice. I order cedar oil on the internet, on iherb.com. I don't know if you cand find something like that there. Others like other nice-smelling essential oils too (rose hip oil? and some others...) to add a bit of fragrance. I know castor oil alone is kind of odd-smelling. I'll bet it would be pretty easy to find some essential oils around there...

I can't comment on how it would work for setting...i have big fat locs that take a long time to dry and I haven't had much luck setting them, but I don't think it has anything to do with using or not using castor oil. Just the nature of my hair.