PDA

View Full Version : Loc maintenance question

rushjackson
12-01-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi, I am a loc'd sister for 14 months now. I have a few loc maintenance questions about how you maintain you hair in the winter. Can anyone who has a winter time regimen for locs please respond to this post. Thanks :)

How often do you wash your hair?

How often do you run water through your hair?

How often do you moisturize your hair?

KnottyAuthor
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
The orange topics at the top of the board may help more:
1.I wash as often as needed
2.I run water as often as I want to
3. I moisturize as my hair dictates, usually every other day

but
I have mature locks. To answer questions specific to your lock stage, the orange topics above may help or clarifying the question. Overall, once the hair has settled(matted) you can do all 3 as often as you like. It all depends on YOUR installation type and stage, tightening technique, texture....
Sorry there is no specific answer when it comes to locks, just variables and conditions that must be considered when making a decision.

YuYu
12-01-2010, 05:50 PM
This is my first winter too; I am at month 11. I am loced with a few locs that are not completly locd. I can still see a twist pattern in some places on the loc. I'm watching the responses.....

Himmy
12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
I wash my hair every 2 - 3 weeks, winter, spring, summer and fall. I don't switch it up.

How often do you run water through your hair?
Only when I wash my babies.

How often do you moisturize your hair?
I do hot oil treatments after every wash.

YuYu
12-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Himmyslocz always gives good info. So I will continue to do what I do. I will do more hot oil treatments. I have only done it once. Thanks Himmy!

Denny
12-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Mature locker here (does 5 years count as mature?) I wash every week or every 10 days every season, only in warm/mild weather I wet the locs in the shower cos its too cold in the winter, moisturise around 3 times a week. I try and drink more water since the central heating seems to dehydrate the body. Hot oil treatments once a month, every month.

Himmy
12-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Himmyslocz always gives good info. So I will continue to do what I do. I will do more hot oil treatments. I have only done it once. Thanks Himmy!

Awwww, thank you sistah. ((Big Hug)) I'm glad my advice is useful.

I'm not sure how far along you are on your journey, but if you're not completely loc'd be extra careful. The oil could cause you some delay in loc'ing. When I first started out, I used coconut milk mixed with very little coconut oil and honey as my conditioner (leave on for 30 minutes and then rinse). My babies got the vitamins and moisture they needed without the oil hindering the process. :)

sugaplums
12-03-2010, 02:59 AM
Every 3-4 days

How often do you run water through your hair? Whenever I wash

How often do you moisturize your hair? hot oil treatments once a month and my homemade leave-in spritz daily (contains distilled water, aloe vera gel, eo's).

sugaplums
12-03-2010, 03:02 AM
I forgot to add that I always add honey to my shampoos and oil to my conditioner. I add 2tbs. of each in a 24oz. bottle of water, shake it up, and pour over my head.

kenyislockin
12-03-2010, 01:13 PM
i wash once a week
rinse my scalp daily
i use Oyin Juices and Berries for moisture.
even when i was a loose natural, i always wet my hair daily.