PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011

rushjackson
12-08-2010, 01:36 AM
Hey everybody! :) I think we should do a Shoulder Length Challenge for this coming year 2011! I'm pretty excited about the idea of this. Right now my hair is loc'd and just covers my neck but not quite shoulder length. You know that fussy stage where you can't quite get it into a ponytail but it's long enough to be kind of messy? lol I think shoulder length would be cool because then you could throw your hair into a ponytail on those days when just don't feel like doing much styling. ;)

Anyone want to join me?

Rufigirl
12-14-2010, 08:42 AM
i am in, what are the details, when in 2011

rushjackson
12-15-2010, 08:12 PM
i am in, what are the details, when in 2011

I would like to start this challenge on January 1st, 2011 and end on December 31st, 2011. Let's update each other on this thread once a month. We can post pictures along the way or links to fokti/other photo albums. (Do you know how to post pics on threads? I haven't figured it out yet. lol) There are no strict rules. I have locs but this SL Challenge is open to anyone.

Here's my current regimen:

Shampoo/ACV rinse once a month
Condition/ACV rinse all other weeks
Products Used:
SheaMoisture Shea Butter Shampoo
Desert Essence Red Raspberry Conditioner
Hugo Naturals Mango Butter for scalp and roots
Water/Jojoba Oil for moisture and sealing
Water/Jojoba Oil/ EO's Lavender and Peppermint Oils for Spritz

Thanks for joining me :)

negarden95
12-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I am in!!! I just cut off my relax ends! and have about 5 inches of hair. Hopefully, by the end of next year it will be by my shoulder. I don't have a set regimen, but will post soon. Looking forward to a great year!

rushjackson
12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
I am in!!! I just cut off my relax ends! and have about 5 inches of hair. Hopefully, by the end of next year it will be by my shoulder. I don't have a set regimen, but will post soon. Looking forward to a great year!

Congrats on cutting off the remainder of you relaxed hair! Thanks for joining in the Shoulder Length Challenge. I too am looking forward to a wonderful year. Good luck :)

TheSuperCoya
12-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I would like to join!!!! I will post updates later!

KinkyCurlicious08
12-17-2010, 04:13 AM
I would love to join. I just made some major to my regimen to try and retain length this winter.

KinkyCurlicious08
12-17-2010, 04:20 AM
*major changes :D

covergirl1922
12-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Count me in, too! I have approximately between 4 and 5 inches of hair (BC=11/2009), but I wore it short until mid-year 2010...I am ready for length, baby! Also, I have learned A LOT this year about treating my hair gently (had to give up my beloved afro, y'all) and handling it in a way that promotes length retention. It's a journey, sisterfriends...
I am tweaking my regimen...details forthcoming soon!
Best of luck to all of us!

P/S: my avatar pic is old. Pardon my dust.

rushjackson
12-18-2010, 03:19 AM
I would like to join!!!! I will post updates later!

Hey Supercoya,

Glad to have you join the SL Challenge. I've been reading many of your posts and I'm interested in seeing how your natural hair journey progresses. :)

Rushjackson

rushjackson
12-18-2010, 03:22 AM
I would love to join. I just made some major to my regimen to try and retain length this winter.

Thanks for joining the SL Challenge for 2011. Just curious, what did you change about your regimen? I also made some changes to adjust to this cold winter weather here in NYC.

Rushjackson

rushjackson
12-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Count me in, too! I have approximately between 4 and 5 inches of hair (BC=11/2009), but I wore it short until mid-year 2010...I am ready for length, baby! Also, I have learned A LOT this year about treating my hair gently (had to give up my beloved afro, y'all) and handling it in a way that promotes length retention. It's a journey, sisterfriends...
I am tweaking my regimen...details forthcoming soon!
Best of luck to all of us!

P/S: my avatar pic is old. Pardon my dust.

Thanks for joining the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. Please tell us what changed about your regimen. I will be posting details about what I changed too to adjust to the weather here in NYC. I've noticed that there are so many ideas here for styles as your hair grows. Good luck to you. (Oh, do you happen to know how to post pics on threads? :)

Rushjackson

zebrachick83
12-18-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm in! Ready to get these locs long this year! :)

Vabap6
12-18-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm in this one. I thought about the APL in 2011 Challenge, but this one looks more doable. I'm in 6 Months Protective Style and No Cutting Challenge 2011, so these would help me with this challange. I BCd in July and I currently have between 6-7 inches stretched. When we post pics, does it matter if it loose or in twists/braids? I'll be back with my regimen. I'm so excited because I'm looking forward to a better 2011 when it comes to my natural "healthy" journey. :)

evadiva
12-18-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm in my hair is about one inch in the back and 1 1/2" in the front. Hopefully by the end of next year I can reah my goal.

Regime:
Leave in two strand twist for two weeks
Wash hair bi-weekly with Wen conditioner
Deeep conditioner once a month with Nexxus Plyomedic Reconstructer
Leave in conditioners: CD's Hair Milk and Hair balm
Take 300mcg of biotin daily

AksanaAnais
12-22-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm def down for this challenge!

Length:
4 inches stretched all around (give or take).

Regimen & Styles:
Leave in 2 strand twists for at least one week.
Co wash hair with Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner as needed (usually weekly).
Deep Condition every time I wash hair.
Re-twist hair with Qhemet's Heavy Cream or Carol's Daughter Hair Butter.
Spray and seal hair at least every other day with braid spray & JBCO.
Moisturize with QB AOHC or CD's Hair Butter.
Take my iron pill and multi vitamin daily.

Other Information:
I avoid shampoo at all costs.
I often wear a wig over my twists.

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 01:49 AM
I'm in! Ready to get these locs long this year! :)

Welcome zebrachick83. I too have locs! Good luck this coming year. :)

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 01:53 AM
I'm in this one. I thought about the APL in 2011 Challenge, but this one looks more doable. I'm in 6 Months Protective Style and No Cutting Challenge 2011, so these would help me with this challange. I BCd in July and I currently have between 6-7 inches stretched. When we post pics, does it matter if it loose or in twists/braids? I'll be back with my regimen. I'm so excited because I'm looking forward to a better 2011 when it comes to my natural "healthy" journey. :)

Welcome Vabap6. I'm glad you decided to join this challenge. It doesn't matter whether you show loose hair or twists/braided. As long as you can see the progress. It's whatever works best for you. I'd love to hear about your regimen when you get a chance to post it. I wish you a happy and healthy hair journey for 2011.

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 01:56 AM
I'm in my hair is about one inch in the back and 1 1/2" in the front. Hopefully by the end of next year I can reah my goal.

Regime:
Leave in two strand twist for two weeks
Wash hair bi-weekly with Wen conditioner
Deeep conditioner once a month with Nexxus Plyomedic Reconstructer
Leave in conditioners: CD's Hair Milk and Hair balm
Take 300mcg of biotin daily

Thanks for joining the hair challenge. Thanks for the regimen post. Does taking the biotin seem to help with the growth/health of your hair? I am thinking of trying this alond with my regimen and drinking plenty of water. :)

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm def down for this challenge!

Length:
4 inches stretched all around (give or take).

Regimen & Styles:
Leave in 2 strand twists for at least one week.
Co wash hair with Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner as needed (usually weekly).
Deep Condition every time I wash hair.
Re-twist hair with Qhemet's Heavy Cream or Carol's Daughter Hair Butter.
Spray and seal hair at least every other day with braid spray & JBCO.
Moisturize with QB AOHC or CD's Hair Butter.
Take my iron pill and multi vitamin daily.

Other Information:
I avoid shampoo at all costs.
I often wear a wig over my twists.

Welcome to the hair challenge. Thanks for the regimen post. Does avoiding shampooing help your hair? In what way? I also take a multivitamin, but have not tried taking an iron pill. I use Carol's Daughter Loc Butter on my son's hair. But I use it sparingly because it has beeswax as the third ingredient or so. So far it hasn't caused him to have build up, but it holds his locs together very well.

c2shair
12-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Pick me, Pick me. I want to join.
Currently my hair is in braids and I will work out a routine when I take them out in January. I BC'd in May and so we will see.
I am also in the shoulder length in six month challenge so I hope if I am not there in may hopefully will be there by the end of this challenge.

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 03:43 AM
Hello Everyone,

I just added some photo albums to my Nappturality profile. Also, I am now a subscribed member too! I am just on here so much, that I thought, it makes sense for me to support the site. I will be adding more photos monthly starting in 2011 especially for the Shoulder Length Challenge so anyone can take a look at my progress. I would also like to see your albums pics as we go along in 2011. Do you think we should have prizes/giveaways for the end of 2011 to mark our year long progress? Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks to all who have already joined the challenge for 2011. Good luck to everyone. :)

AksanaAnais
12-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Welcome to the hair challenge. Thanks for the regimen post. Does avoiding shampooing help your hair? In what way? I also take a multivitamin, but have not tried taking an iron pill. I use Carol's Daughter Loc Butter on my son's hair. But I use it sparingly because it has beeswax as the third ingredient or so. So far it hasn't caused him to have build up, but it holds his locs together very well.

Thanks for the welcome! I take the iron pill because I'm anemic--doctor's orders. I tried the Loc Butter years back and liked it too--the beeswax didn't bother me either. And I avoid shampoo because it tends to strip my hair too much (even the sulfate free poos). Since the winter weather kicked in, I'm noticing that its best to cut back on shampooing my hair to at most bi weekly. To date, the best shampoo I've ever used was Nexxus Therappe Luxury Moisturizing Shampoo. So, when I'm out of my cheapie poo, I'll invest in this one.

Your locs are nice by the way. I've been thinking about them but I don't know where to start. I think I'll just stick to my twists for now and see how I feel because I want more length.

Ms_Cupcake
12-22-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm definitely in! Got about 7 inches right now.

Nadiyah23
12-22-2010, 06:09 AM
I am in too

Rufigirl
12-22-2010, 06:13 AM
my infor
Length:
13 - 15cm (about 6 inches) stretched all around
Regimen:
i must admit my winter regimen was easy as i did not have to deal with rain and too much wind, so now I keep it in a protective style.

when in a protective style
rinse once a week, shampoo once a month.
Spray and seal hair at least every other day with braid spray

loose hair
co-wash daily and flat twist (at night) and take it out in the morning, finger comb walaah
Co wash hair with Nativ Conditioner .
Deep Condition every time I use shampoo plain yoghurt and honey.
coconut Oil/ olive oil
sta so fro moisturizer
Take my multi vitamin daily.

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Pick me, Pick me. I want to join.
Currently my hair is in braids and I will work out a routine when I take them out in January. I BC'd in May and so we will see.
I am also in the shoulder length in six month challenge so I hope if I am not there in may hopefully will be there by the end of this challenge.

Welcome to the hair challenge! I am looking forward to this year and I would be excited to see your pics on how your hair is progressing. Let me know how the 6 month challenge goes for you. :)

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm definitely in! Got about 7 inches right now.

Thanks for joining the shoulder length challenge. I like you avatar picture. With 7" you are definitely on your way! :)

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 09:08 AM
I am in too

Welcome the the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. This year should be pretty exciting! I'm definitely looking forward to new growth.

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
@Rufigirl It's cool that you have an easy regimen. Right now I have about 4" in the back of my hair and 5 1/2" of hair on the top and sides.

rushjackson
12-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I take the iron pill because I'm anemic--doctor's orders. I tried the Loc Butter years back and liked it too--the beeswax didn't bother me either. And I avoid shampoo because it tends to strip my hair too much (even the sulfate free poos). Since the winter weather kicked in, I'm noticing that its best to cut back on shampooing my hair to at most bi weekly. To date, the best shampoo I've ever used was Nexxus Therappe Luxury Moisturizing Shampoo. So, when I'm out of my cheapie poo, I'll invest in this one.

Your locs are nice by the way. I've been thinking about them but I don't know where to start. I think I'll just stick to my twists for now and see how I feel because I want more length.

You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment on the locs. I used to use Nexxus way back and it worked pretty well. I still haven't found a shampoo for my natural hair that I am completely satisfied with. They all seem to be drying to me. I used to have low iron levels. Now they say I have low vitamin D levels, so I am taking a pill for that. I shampoo every 2-3 weeks now because of winter. I used to shampoo once a week when the weather was warmer.

ArizonaFro2
12-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm in too!! I have about the same length as the original poster. 9-10 inches all over . Mid neck length, but I just know I can make shoulder length by summer. Have y'all seen Kimmaytubes length progressions. I'm not too clear on her regimen but i did make a big batch of her leave in and it does work: To retail length. I am in a twist challenge for 2011. Only twists except for special occasions.

I will post pictures because I want to document my growth!!!Thanks for this challenge!

rushjackson
12-24-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm in too!! I have about the same length as the original poster. 9-10 inches all over . Mid neck length, but I just know I can make shoulder length by summer. Have y'all seen Kimmaytubes length progressions. I'm not too clear on her regimen but i did make a big batch of her leave in and it does work: To retail length. I am in a twist challenge for 2011. Only twists except for special occasions.

I will post pictures because I want to document my growth!!!Thanks for this challenge!

Welcome to the Shoulder Length Challenge. I look forward to seeing your update pics! :)

ree1231
01-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm in too! Cut off my relaxed ends on September 9, 2010 (6 inches). With shrinkage my hair length is mid-chin length, when blow-dry its chin length. Got a trim on Dec. 31st. So I'm ready.

Hair care regimen:
Hot oil treatments: Olive and Tea tree oil or Carrot Oil
Shampoo and Condition: Patene Pro-V for relaxed and natural hair
Deep conditioner: Mix 1 egg in Mayonnaise Deep conditioner
Moisturizer: Shea Butter Oil (every other day)
When blow-drying I use a hair protectant/leave in condtioner spray.
I have dry scalp (and I know I'm not suppose to be using this) and itching scalp so every once in awhile I use Sulfur 8. The stinky grease in the yellow jar.
I was my hair every 2 weeks.

This regimen works very well for me. I'm open for other recommendations and hair styles. FYI: I'm Muslim and I wear veils (head wraps).

bahianut-dudley
01-01-2011, 07:36 PM
count me in too just joined site need help to finding a regimen. Need to take care of it lost some hair in taking out my weave this year healthy hair and longer length.

naturalmadison
01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm in too! BC'd February 2010 and have about 5-6 inches of hair.
Concentrating more on technique and handling of my hair than actual products right now, but main staples are Glycerin/water mix, Cholesterol, hair mayonaise for DC.

Protective style: twists until summer starts.
Hopefully will get to shoulder length by the summer of 2011.

rushjackson
01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm in too! Cut off my relaxed ends on September 9, 2010 (6 inches). With shrinkage my hair length is mid-chin length, when blow-dry its chin length. Got a trim on Dec. 31st. So I'm ready.

Hair care regimen:
Hot oil treatments: Olive and Tea tree oil or Carrot Oil
Shampoo and Condition: Patene Pro-V for relaxed and natural hair
Deep conditioner: Mix 1 egg in Mayonnaise Deep conditioner
Moisturizer: Shea Butter Oil (every other day)
When blow-drying I use a hair protectant/leave in condtioner spray.
I have dry scalp (and I know I'm not suppose to be using this) and itching scalp so every once in awhile I use Sulfur 8. The stinky grease in the yellow jar.
I was my hair every 2 weeks.

This regimen works very well for me. I'm open for other recommendations and hair styles. FYI: I'm Muslim and I wear veils (head wraps).

Hi ree1231 welcome to the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. Thanks for including your regimen. What styles are you wearing under the veil? The head wraps also help protect your hair from the elements in addition to the religious requirements. I was muslim too, but even though I'm no longer practicing the faith I may begin to wear head wraps again.

rushjackson
01-01-2011, 07:53 PM
count me in too just joined site need help to finding a regimen. Need to take care of it lost some hair in taking out my weave this year healthy hair and longer length.

Welcome to the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. Don't worry, the hair that you lost taking out the weave will definitely grow back. I too have lost chunks of hair in the past from taking out glued in weaves. I look forward to seeing your progress throughout the year.

rushjackson
01-01-2011, 07:57 PM
I'm in too! BC'd February 2010 and have about 5-6 inches of hair.
Concentrating more on technique and handling of my hair than actual products right now, but main staples are Glycerin/water mix, Cholesterol, hair mayonaise for DC.

Protective style: twists until summer starts.
Hopefully will get to shoulder length by the summer of 2011.

Thanks for joining the Shoulder Length Challenge. I look forward to seeing how your hair progresses.

ree1231
01-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi ree1231 welcome to the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. Thanks for including your regimen. What styles are you wearing under the veil? The head wraps also help protect your hair from the elements in addition to the religious requirements. I was muslim too, but even though I'm no longer practicing the faith I may begin to wear head wraps again.

The current hair styles I wear under my veil are pin curls or cornrows with beads on the end. This year I'm trying to eliminate as much heat as possible to prevent breakage and damage to my natural hair. What will be hard about this is I like my veil to lay flat which requires the use of a flat iron or straightening comb. Hopefully, when I complete this challenge I will be able to wear two strand twist.

rushjackson
01-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Here are my latest pictures for the Shoulder Length Challenge 2011:

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=3528&albumid=313&dl=1294472806&thumb=1http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=3529&albumid=313&dl=1294472806&thumb=1

Birthday Pics 01-07-11

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=3399&albumid=313&dl=1293735073&thumb=1http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?pictureid=3400&albumid=313&dl=1293735324&thumb=1

Christmas Pics 12-25-10

I will post pics every month to update you on my hair's progress and I look forward to seeing all of your pictures too.

KrissyJay
01-08-2011, 08:54 AM
i'm in! i have like one inch of locs and an intsy bit of curled ends i will post pics here or somewhere lol sooo in!!! :P

Fraideecat
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm in too!! I've been locking for about 15 months now and am around the same length as the original poster. Hopefully with a "stuck to" routine and joining the water challenge, we can get some ponytail whip action going on pretty soon :*\

Blessings my sistas!

-D-

rushjackson
01-08-2011, 11:55 PM
i'm in! i have like one inch of locs and an intsy bit of curled ends i will post pics here or somewhere lol sooo in!!! :P

Welcome KrissyJay. Thanks for joining the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. I will be posting pictures of my hair each month and posting comments about any struggles that I am having with my hair plus solutions that I have come up with. I will also talk about changes in my regimen throughout the year. I look forward to hearing about your hair and seeing any pictures that you have.

rushjackson
01-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I'm in too!! I've been locking for about 15 months now and am around the same length as the original poster. Hopefully with a "stuck to" routine and joining the water challenge, we can get some ponytail whip action going on pretty soon :*\

Blessings my sistas!

-D-

Welcome. Cool, you've been locking for about the same time as me. What is the water challenge? I look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing about your regimen.

rushjackson
01-09-2011, 12:03 AM
My latest challenge is my hair being dry. I am planning to deep condition tonight and see if that helps. I've been spritzing with water and adding jojoba oil and that seems to do the trick for most of the day. But for my hair to keep from being dry, I have to moisturize and seal 2x a day. I've been slacking on this for about 2 days now. I've got to stay on top of it more. :-))

PaigeJ
01-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I'm in!!!

My hair is about 3.5 - 4" all around. I BC'd last August and my last relaxer was last May. I would love to pull my hair back by this summer and I don't think it's impossible to imagine my hair at the front to be shoulder length by the end of the year :D.

Right now I use Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Shampoo to clarify every two weeks. I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner once a week, and I DC once a week with Hello Hydration, olive oil, and raw honey (and regular honey if we're out of raw :) ) .

Other products I use are Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream for my leave in, Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade for twisting, and Oyin Juices and Berries to refresh my twists.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Hoshi87/crownLength.jpg

KrissyJay
01-09-2011, 02:41 AM
Welcome KrissyJay. Thanks for joining the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. I will be posting pictures of my hair each month and posting comments about any struggles that I am having with my hair plus solutions that I have come up with. I will also talk about changes in my regimen throughout the year. I look forward to hearing about your hair and seeing any pictures that you have.

well i am excited!!!, right now i have braids on my locs, but when i take them off to wash and relatch, i will take some pics :) thanks for the warm welcome!!!

Fraideecat
01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Here are my latest pics...I know in the pics of me in the blue shirt [Zzzzz-Phi my sorors!] it looks like my hair is already shoulder length, but this was just after a wash and my hair shrinks like CRAZY. 8)

1/9/2011

http://i51.tinypic.com/vqs3d2.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/2w3135k.jpg

12/31/2010

http://i56.tinypic.com/2nr0bja.jpg

Right now my routine is washing every other week with BioInfusions Rosemary Mint Shampoo, rubbing edges with shea butter & jojoba oil mixture, spritzing scalp with Africa's Best Oil & Tea Tree Oil mixture, & sealing ends with vegetable glycerin. Palm roll with FOTE Aloe Vera Gel & Vitamin E Oil mixture every 4/6 weeks.

rushjackson
01-14-2011, 06:59 AM
I'm in!!!

My hair is about 3.5 - 4" all around. I BC'd last August and my last relaxer was last May. I would love to pull my hair back by this summer and I don't think it's impossible to imagine my hair at the front to be shoulder length by the end of the year :D.

Right now I use Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Shampoo to clarify every two weeks. I use Herbal Essence Hello Hydration shampoo and conditioner once a week, and I DC once a week with Hello Hydration, olive oil, and raw honey (and regular honey if we're out of raw :) ) .

Other products I use are Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream for my leave in, Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade for twisting, and Oyin Juices and Berries to refresh my twists.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Hoshi87/crownLength.jpg

Welcome PaigeJ. Thanks for including your regimen. I thought about picking up Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Shampoo but I'm pretty happy with the 2 shampoos I use right now. I did use Giovanni products when I was a loose napp. I've hear really good things about Oyin's Burnt Sugar Pomade. I can't wait to see your progress.

rushjackson
01-14-2011, 07:06 AM
Hello everyone in the SL Challenge. The latest thing that I'm trying is grapeseed oil to seal the moisture in my locs. My staple oil is jojoba, but I've heard good things about grapeseed oil and I wanted to give it a try. My hair seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. I just retightened and now when I pull my locs they reach to my collarbone and just below my neck. I just got my dreadsock in the mail yesterday. I was so excited to try this out because my locs seem to be outgrowing my satin scarf (they would hang out at the bottom a little). I wore it to sleep last night and it worked great! The moisture in my hair stayed and it kept the lint away. Also, the way it was designed kept my locs from being pulled in the back of my head while I slept. Overall, it was a really wonderful experience. I bought the large dreadsock so that my hair would have a chance to grow into it.

KrissyJay
01-14-2011, 05:07 PM
Hello everyone in the SL Challenge. The latest thing that I'm trying is grapeseed oil to seal the moisture in my locs...

Ooooo, sounds nice! When my locs are longer and I'm not keeping them in braids anymore i will try this one!

Well the latest thing I have done to my hair was a brown sugar scalp scrub. I used sugar, conditioner, peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil, it was great and has really helped with my itchy scalp. For more details on it you all can check out my blog ^_^ I explain a lot more there ;)

There are also a few pics of my tiny locs there in older blog posts.

And congrats on growing out of your satin cap lol. I doubt i will be doing that anytime soon. You can also make yourself a satin pillow case so that any stray locs are still safe ;)

newcurlymama
01-14-2011, 05:22 PM
I want to join in! I have about 6 inches of stretched hair. I soooo wanna have long flowing hair!!!

ThicKinkz109
01-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Im game....im a newbie but i have about 4 inches of hair. Sounds like fun :) I have started doing protecting styling and retaining moisture better.
Question...how do you post pics to threads?

Fraideecat
01-15-2011, 02:45 AM
Im game....im a newbie but i have about 4 inches of hair. Sounds like fun :) I have started doing protecting styling and retaining moisture better.

Hi ThickKinkz,

This posting helped me when I posted my pics...

Why hello!

Here's how to post pictures on NP.

Before we begin, if the pictures are on a CD, then open them up to make sure they are not too big. You can use a program on your PC like MS Paint to resize them, flip them around if you need to etc. Same thing for your digital camera, once you've uploaded them into your PC, you can work on them before you put them online.

Since you're not an NP member, before you even post a picture, you need an online album to store your pictures in like Fotki or Photobucket. There is also ImageShack.us but I'm not familiar with it. I'm sure there are others but those are the more common ones. In the album there will be an upload widget (Usually with a title like Upload picture), click on Browse and then just fetch the picture(s) you want to upload from your CD or wherever they are saved on your computer and click OK. Once upload it done, with Photobucket, you can still modify the sizes of your pictures, don't know for Fotki, and from what I've seen, that's a no for ImageShack. The reason why I say that is because if your pictures are big, they will appear big here too, excepf for imageshack because all we will get is a thumbnail.

So you've uploaded and made sure they are ready to post here, here's how you do it:

Photobucket provides you with a few links to your pictures. If you're posting in a thread, just select the one that is bracketed in the img brackets , copy it and paste it in the thread. That simple. Or, you can select the direct link and do what I explain below for Foki accounts. And if you find that your picture is still too big, just resize it in Photobucket, make sure when you save to click on Replace original and you're done.

Or

For Fotki, someone who has an account can correct me if I'm wrong but you can right click on the picture you uploaded, select properties and copy the link that has a .jpg suffix. Then when here, you click on the icon that has the tree in it, paste the link, then OK and voil√ɬ*. You can also paste link here, select it then click on the icon. Same difference.

I just did a test with ImageShack so

Once you've uploaded your picture, select one of the forum links and post it as is here, do not modify the link. We will see a thumbnail here, just be sure to tell us to click on it so see the full size picture.

And that is all. HTH.

I got it from the technical support forum, under the "how to post pics" thread. Also, try uploading your pics into the website tinypic.com, and they'll give you the code as well as let you choose what size you want the pic to be before you upload it

HTH!! (:-)

naturalmadison
01-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Update: on my second set of twists. I am still not a very good twister, however, I had my first successful twist out today! It's in my avi, I would post a pic, but I did that once and it turned out huge.

I'm planning on doing a twist style once a week as a protective style for 3-4 days. Then wear the resulting twist out until it gets fuzzy then start over again. Hopefully I'll be a proficient twist artist by the end of the year, yay!

PaigeJ
01-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Hi ThickKinkz,

This posting helped me when I posted my pics...

I got it from the technical support forum, under the "how to post pics" thread. Also, try uploading your pics into the website tinypic.com, and they'll give you the code as well as let you choose what size you want the pic to be before you upload it

HTH!! (:-)

I just want to add that people who aren't PANK don't have the little image icon when we post here so to post a picture you'll need the URL of your image and this code: yoururl to post a picture.

Tellu.Rite
01-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm in! I'm tired of this frustrating in-between stage!!

rushjackson
01-15-2011, 06:52 PM
I want to join in! I have about 6 inches of stretched hair. I soooo wanna have long flowing hair!!!

Welcome newcurlymama. I look forward to seeing how your hair progresses and hearing about your hair regimen as the year goes along. Good luck.

rushjackson
01-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Welcome. Congrats on being a newbie! Exciting new beginnings right? Protective styling should be very helpful in letting you retain your length from hair growth. A couple of people on this thread explained how to post pics before I was able to write you back :) Good luck with the hair growth.

rushjackson
01-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm in! I'm tired of this frustrating in-between stage!!

Welcome. I feel you on the frustration. My hair is too long just to finger through it but not long enough for a pony tail to pull it back. Usually I just do a middle part and let if fall to the sides. I've tried headbands but sometimes they give me headaches. :) Good luck.

Rozzy09
01-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Is this challenege stilll open for joining? <I hope so!!> I have not had internet access for a while, but now I do and I would love to join the challenge these 19 days later!! :D

sdacosta
01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Is this challenege stilll open for joining? <I hope so!!> I have not had internet access for a while, but now I do and I would love to join the challenge these 19 days later!! :D

I'm definitely up for this challenge. I just did the big chop last week, and I am looking forward to growing it out although I look it.

Vabap6
01-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Back with regimen, products, and pix.

Regimen - the following is my current regimen
Prepoo, shampoo and DC every week
2x per month amla treatment
Protective (Low Maintenace) Styles

Products - I am confessing of being a PJ. I am try to kick the habit. I have products that I am trying to narrow down my staples. The ones that I have been using that are working are Qhemet and Oyin. I have others that I have not used, but I will eventually get around to it.

Pix of my current length on loose hair.

http://www.pikistrips.com/ps/gallery/view_image/35371603

I'm in the 6 month protective style challenge. I will come back to post updated pix after it is over, after 30 March.

Cilantro
01-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Hey I would love to be apart of this though I am finding it a month late. I have also joined the no cutting challenge they seem to work together for a good double challenge. I have 4.5 inches of hair stretched out.

My regimen is:
Once a week co wash
Daily raw shea butter as needed.
Once a month do a henna treatment
Protective style on super cold days and when its warmer (I'm in Texas) it's in a braid out or puff.
I want to get a steamer in the next few months so then I will steam once a week with the co wash... but we will see how it all works out. May use it every other wash or once a month with henna treatment. My hair is very soft and i don't want to over-condition it.

Yaaaaa! I'm In!!! :D

rushjackson
01-24-2011, 04:19 AM

Welcome! No, it's not too late to join. This challenge ends Dec 31st 2011. We can post pics on this thread and just talk about how our hair is doing and how our regimen is changing. Thanks for joining.

rushjackson
01-24-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm definitely up for this challenge. I just did the big chop last week, and I am looking forward to growing it out although I look it.

Welcome. Thanks for joining this this challenge. I look forward to seeing your progress and I will be posting pics and comments about my progress as well.

rushjackson
01-24-2011, 04:26 AM
Hey I would love to be apart of this though I am finding it a month late. I have also joined the no cutting challenge they seem to work together for a good double challenge. I have 4.5 inches of hair stretched out.

My regimen is:
Once a week co wash
Daily raw shea butter as needed.
Once a month do a henna treatment
Protective style on super cold days and when its warmer (I'm in Texas) it's in a braid out or puff.
I want to get a steamer in the next few months so then I will steam once a week with the co wash... but we will see how it all works out. May use it every other wash or once a month with henna treatment. My hair is very soft and i don't want to over-condition it.

Yaaaaa! I'm In!!! :D

Welcome. I also joined the no cutting challenge. Thanks for posting your regimen. I just henna'd my hair today! It came out great. It felt very conditioned and much less brittle. I have locs so I was worried about the henna not rinsing out well enough, but I had no problems. I used the Jamila Henna from Mehindi. I look forward to hearing about your progress and I will keep this thread updated with my progress also. Thanks for joining.

Cilantro
01-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Wow henna and locs! That's good news there was not trouble rinsing it out. I will let my friends with locs know they can still use henna as well. I hear some people adding honey or oils to ease the rinse even more. This week will be the first time I use it to color my grays... as you can possibly see in my picture. Will let everyone know how it works for me along with length progress. :D

Diane8783
01-25-2011, 09:59 PM
I'd like to join this but I have trouble protective styling....I just can't leave them in for more than 2 days....any suggestions.
Note: I just cut my hair( again) a few months ago and have 4 inches right now.HELP

rushjackson
01-25-2011, 10:33 PM
I'd like to join this but I have trouble protective styling....I just can't leave them in for more than 2 days....any suggestions.
Note: I just cut my hair( again) a few months ago and have 4 inches right now.HELP

Welcome. I would like you to join if you are interested. I would recommend wash n go's if your hair isn't too long and doesn't tangle easily at the 4" length. If that won't work, I would recommend considering some curly wigs if you are open to that because the weather is really harsh and it may help to prtect your hair from the elements.

Diane8783
01-25-2011, 11:40 PM
@rushjackson

Ok. Thank you. I can do wash n go's without getting tangled.

bluedancer
01-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I am in!!! Im at the same stage also but my hair is loose and it shrinks bad! This is one of my *secret* hair resolutions! Thus far my hair is growing along as long as I keep protective styles in & moisture..moisture..moisture!!!

rushjackson
01-27-2011, 08:17 PM
I am in!!! Im at the same stage also but my hair is loose and it shrinks bad! This is one of my *secret* hair resolutions! Thus far my hair is growing along as long as I keep protective styles in & moisture..moisture..moisture!!!

Welcome. Thanks for joining the Shoulder Length Challenge for 2011. I'm excited to see how your progress will go. I will be posting pictures, changes/updates to my regimen and talking about how my hair is doing as we go along this year. Please feel free to update your progress as you like.

AksanaAnais
01-29-2011, 04:07 AM
I'm still around...wearing cornrows under a wig/beanie/scarf until I absolutely can not stand it.

Recent discoveries...

I tried the Shea Moisture Leave In and it left my hair dry and crispy. I'll save it for the summer...perhaps it will fare better then.

Also tried Loreal Everstrong Reconstruct Sulfate Free Shampoo. AWESOME!

Cilantro
02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
Ok so I henna-ed my hair and the color took very well. My grays are kinda a nice bronze reddish... Which is a nice contrast like high lights. But now it's been a week and my hair is shedding.Ive been keeping it in protective braids for a few days ... close to a week and when I co wash there is this shedding everywhere. My hair does not remotely feel dry... I use a wide tooth comb, I spray with water if im handeling and its dry... I keep shea in it for moisture lock...Not sure what I've done to have it doing this. Maybe the bitter cold is getting to it somehow?? I've used neutral henna for years and never had a problem. This time the henna was a color... But it's basically the same stuff..? Any suggestion? I would like for this to be nipped now so I can reach the goal. Think I'll post this in the help forums as well. I'm so sad right now...:(

Cashmerenapps
02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm in. I think I can get to SL by years end. My reg is I wash my hair every week and henna with conditioner everyother week (leave it in 3 hours), seal with coconut and jojoba oil, twist and tie with a satin cap. (It's cold outside!) Twistout or braidout or updo for the weekends only. During the week, my hair is under a surgical cap anyways and I just cant see doin my hair to just slap it back under a cap at work. My hair is under a cap for 7-8 hours (satin, then hospital cap) for 5 days a wee.k

Vabap6
02-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Ok so I henna-ed my hair and the color took very well. My grays are kinda a nice bronze reddish... Which is a nice contrast like high lights. But now it's been a week and my hair is shedding.Ive been keeping it in protective braids for a few days ... close to a week and when I co wash there is this shedding everywhere. My hair does not remotely feel dry... I use a wide tooth comb, I spray with water if im handeling and its dry... I keep shea in it for moisture lock...Not sure what I've done to have it doing this. Maybe the bitter cold is getting to it somehow?? I've used neutral henna for years and never had a problem. This time the henna was a color... But it's basically the same stuff..? Any suggestion? I would like for this to be nipped now so I can reach the goal. Think I'll post this in the help forums as well. I'm so sad right now...:(

When you put your henna in, did you do a DC after you rinsed it out? IDK, maybe you need a good DC. Try that and see what it does.

Cilantro
02-04-2011, 03:40 PM
When you put your henna in, did you do a DC after you rinsed it out? IDK, maybe you need a good DC. Try that and see what it does.

Mmmm. No I didn't actually... But I will try that and see what happens. Thanks:)

PaigeJ
02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
This is my February update. The hair at my nape almost reaches the top of my shoulders already. The hair on the sides goes just a bit past my jawline, and the hair at my crown will be at my nose before I know it :)

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Hoshi87/photo-2.jpg

AprilsNewHair
02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I'd like to join in as well.

niki32
02-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the site and would like to take on this challenge. I'm actually only 9 weeks (today) post relaxer and I have a little over an inch of new growth. I'm planning on transitioning for 12-18 months. If I get a pretty good length before that then I might be strong enough to do the BC..LOL. My biggest thing is more so growing healthy hair right now.
My current regimen (all Carol's Daughter products):
1. I pre-poo with Lisa's Hair Elixir
2. wash with the Hair Milk once a week
3. deep condition with the Hair Milk Conditioner and Khoret Amen Deep Conditioner (alternating each week)
4. I use the Hair Milk Original as my leave in and seal with Elixir
5. Women's One A Day Multivitamin and Vitamin B12
6. My protective style right now is a phony bun, but I'm trying to decide what else to do with my hair since I still have to comb and brush my hair everyday to put the bun in.

Any tips to help with my transition would be great!!

AksanaAnais
02-18-2011, 04:09 AM
Update:

NO more wigs! I've lost my interest in them.

Anyhoo...I did my first set of mini twists on the 13th. They are AWESOME! Why didn't I do this sooner? Everybody likes them. So, I'll probably rock out like this for a while...hhhmmm...I wonder how long they'll last...

Latest pic of my hair is in my avatar.

Cilantro
02-18-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have been deep conditioning and things are getting back to normal with little to no breakage. I was freakin' out there for a min ...its all about growing it not loosing it right? Also the henna color turned out really nice and covered my grays exactly how I wanted it. Leaving them as streaks of gold/red through my hair.The picture for my avatar is the result in the sun. So now that its out of the way for a while I can concentrate on length. Thanks for the help on this... shoulder length here I come! :D
Blessings

Rufigirl
02-22-2011, 07:44 AM
just in for an update, just took off corn rows dreaming up something that can last 3 months any suggestions, i love seeing my hair so for me to be in a protective style for 3 months will be a milestone.
PS my daughter is in the same challange but her hair is growing much faster than mine and she can keep cornrows for more than a month and i envy her as my cornrows cannot last more than 3 weeks.

i see so much difference end Jan i was middle of the nose now just over the tip of my nose

Ravengirl
02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi, I'm in. Hope to make SL by mid-summer. My regimen is simple.
Do a pre-shampoo treament and shampoo/condition hair 1x a week or every other week.
Detangle hair after conditioning, moisturize and seal with oil, and braid hair to stretch it out.
Spritz hair with water and lightly moisturize and seal hair when it feels dry during the week.

I mostly just keep my hair in cornrows and wear a wigs because I'm being lazy right now and don't feel like doing anything to besides wash it. Waiting for my hair to get longer so I can keep it in twists. I sometimes will wear a 'fro but don't care for it too much because it drys out the ends of my hair really bad... and I can't keep my hands out of my hair when it's out either. I just love touching it which causes it to tangle. Oy. lol

w04andia
03-05-2011, 09:23 PM
I am basically at SL, but I want all my layers to reach there.
I am doing protective styling, mostly bunning, twisting and braiding, and we'll see how it goes :)

lillocks
03-05-2011, 10:40 PM
A lil late I know, but would love to join this challenge.

I have braid locks that are about 2.5 yrs old. I chronic problems with hair growing - breaking - growing. Now I am in a breaking phase. From looking around this site, I have found others who say that Iron and other Vitamin defficiencies causes their hair to break so I am in the process of finding the right kind of vitamins and foods to incorporate into my daily diet.

Routine is very simple:
wash every 2 weeks:
1st - Wash with Pantene Shampoo for women of Color or Motions Moisturizing Shampoo
- - with a scalp treatment of Nizoral medicated shampoo ( keeps down the itches)
2nd - shampoo with BS and any clear shampoo that is handy, including baby shampoo
- - ACV rinse to follow

after wash: Rub in Palmers Olive Oil...Hairdress in wet hair and blow dry till damp. I allow it to air dry after that.

If it's the wash before I tighten, I like to separate the roots and LIGHTLY twist with Aloe Vera Gel or Murrays Loc Gel. ( as I said previously I almost always have fuzzy roots with lots of short hair that has to be joined up to the right lock - also twisting the roots gives me the freedom to easily tighten at my leisure - usually over the course of days )

Curling: I used to use Herbal Essences holding Mouse, but it's been months. I am trying to find a better holding agent.

Daily spritz: water mixed with Jojoba oil

Daily styling: mostly shake n go lol. I have been doing more styles that do not require heat or overnight setting. Shout out to Bronzegoddess and Beautyblueprint on youtube for inspiration ;)

I like experimenting styles that are quick, use few pins and good for all occasions. I'm especially exited to use my own hair to tie styles up or back :D

I look forward to learning about more routines so I can tweek mine and get some ideas for styles that are easy and stress free for my hair.

Have fun :)

AksanaAnais
03-06-2011, 01:54 AM
In a weave till the end of April...I hope I can hold out that long.

~*starrpie*~
03-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh I'm in:)! I think I can handle sl hair. I was doing the 6mos ps challenge but I cut my apl hair to about cl..yeah it got tiring taking care of all that hair.I got lazy and careless which resulted in my hair turning into knot-ville lol.I also really started to miss having short hair.It's so much easier to style and care for.My regimen is quite simple now since I'm using protective styles to grow it out.I'll be revisiting yarn braids until the end of April,a half wig in May,then Senegalese twist until the end of July.Definitely I'll be at my goal by then:)

w04andia
03-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Still iin a bun for the rest of the week/ two weeks

bajansensation
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
I know I'm late but I'm in!

Last year my hubby (who also has locs) said that it would take me until my locs were 3 yrs old to fit in a ponytail comfortably and I said nope I'm pushing for the 2 year mark. I will hit 2 years in June 2011 and I still need the front of my hair to fit in that ponytail!

I wash 1x a week or every 2 weeks if I push it. I use Garnier Fructis Fortifying shampoo and oil afterward with Profectiv Mega Growth oil and retwist the front with whatever gel I have handy
I'm avoiding actual conditioner, but I will try to do hot oil treatments 2x a month
I add baking soda to my shampoo about 1x a month
Bentonite clay anytime I feel like I need to clarify

bajansensation
03-07-2011, 08:41 PM
I know I'm late but I'm in!

Last year my hubby (who also has locs) said that it would take me until my locs were 3 yrs old to fit in a ponytail comfortably and I said nope I'm pushing for the 2 year mark. I will hit 2 years in June 2011 and I still need the front of my hair to fit in that ponytail!

I wash 1x a week or every 2 weeks if I push it. I use Garnier Fructis Fortifying shampoo and oil afterward with Profectiv Mega Growth oil and retwist the front with whatever gel I have handy
I'm avoiding actual conditioner, but I will try to do hot oil treatments 2x a month
I add baking soda to my shampoo about 1x a month
Bentonite clay anytime I feel like I need to clarify
ETA: I latch the back 2/3 of my hair about once a month

I really wish there was an edit button!