PDA

View Full Version : over doing it?

GodsGirlKimberly
12-10-2010, 11:28 PM
I have been natural for quite a while, at least 10 years. I began locking my hair in April 2010 (Easter Weekend), so itís been just over 8 months. During this time, I have seen my loctician about once a month for a wash, condition and re-twist. Now that my locs are maturing, I am feeling like it may be time to branch out and do my own hair. Plus, I am not so confident in many of the products she was using in my hair. The price was super reasonable, $40, but at the end of the day I am not so certain anyone is going to genuinely care for my hair like I desire to and hopefully can. Earlier tonight, I picked up the following products amongst a series of items I already have in my closet: olive oil, apple cider vinegar, suave clarifying shampoo & baking soda. I intend to wash my hair with the shampoo and baking soda combo and do an ACV rinse. Is it OK to do these both at the same time when washing? Then I plan to do a deep condition with a hot oil treatment with the olive oil. Then I intend to do a re-twist. Any other suggestions, do I need to add anything to my regimen.

ladyatpeace
12-11-2010, 02:02 AM
You are using natural products and you will not hurt your hair. I add baking soda to Bonners and wash my hair and it feels great. I do an ACV rinse once every other month or when I feel I have buildup or used a lot of product that month. Honestly you will find what works for you just dive in. It's just hair it won't fall out based on what you are doing. I paid for someone to start my locs and because i'm so cheap carefully watched her do my 1st retwist and haven't been back since...that was 2 years ago and I've been the only one in my hair. After a while you become confident and start doing things that you may have been hesitant to do. For example I did my first henna treatment to my locs :) Good luck to you. Your hair is gonna love you taken care of it.

delicaterose617
12-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Congrats on your journey!! I have fell into the same stump as you. i had a friend start mines off with comb coils, went to the loctican for my retwist at about 3 months cuz I wasn't in love with my result after the retwist, and now that Im a year in and my fuzzy phase is gone, I can really appreciate the idea of taking over my locs. Sounds like your off to a good start with the Clarifying shammpoos and such. But is more so trial and error when it comes to what your hair will love and not love. Good luck to you!!!!!