PDA

View Full Version : Winterize

lbellin
12-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey All,

I am a newbie almost 5 months in and I want to winterize my routine. My hair looks very dry. The back [nape area] tends to bunch when washing [and no I am not using conditioner].

I have read so much about not using oils, etc. during the beginning stages, so can anyone suggest something that works for them in the baby stage?

KnottyAuthor
12-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Castor oil does the trick. A qtr size in your hands and massage it in.

oldlady1909
12-19-2010, 02:13 AM
I need help too, please!! I just made 6months...and 2 minutes ago..I have flakes, like dandruff??? what is this..I have not changed my routine...it was working so I let it work...now what?? should I consider the castor oil?? I spritz with evoo, water and rosemary oil and shampoo once a week or so..and use dawn to de-gunk...

dayna
12-19-2010, 03:40 AM
Hey All,

I am a newbie almost 5 months in and I want to winterize my routine. My hair looks very dry. The back [nape area] tends to bunch when washing [and no I am not using conditioner].

I have read so much about not using oils, etc. during the beginning stages, so can anyone suggest something that works for them in the baby stage?
There is no one-size-fits-all. Oil may work just fine for you at this stage, whereas it may not work for someone else. Try it to see how your hair responds. Conditioner may be alright for you, as well. Some folks use it from the beginning without issue. You're five months in. Is your hair pretty well-meshed?

For me, I find that a mix of almond and castor oils works very nicely. Sometimes I add a dab of argan oil to the mix, and that's even nicer. This combo gives my hair softness along with a nice sheen.

Kurliez
12-19-2010, 03:46 AM
I'll give you a tip, OP: Don't use coconut oil in cold weather. My afro looked like a snowball last year. The coconut oil froze into little white droplet on my hair shaft. They melted, but it was a funny look for the first hour in class. lol

Kathleen1
12-19-2010, 05:06 AM
im sorry this is so off topic but what is bunching? isnt that supposed to be good for dreads?

tayrenee
10-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Castor oil does the trick. A qtr size in your hands and massage it in.

would you apply the oil after you wash your hair or could you apply on dry locks too?

Denny
10-24-2011, 04:57 PM
^ you can do both - i do

Karibana
10-24-2011, 05:08 PM
All I do to my routine in winter is remove glycerine from my oil mix. Otherwise it's business as usual.

Kimberlocs71
10-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Kari what is your oil mix?

prettipoison27
10-26-2011, 08:51 PM
I started using coconut oil when my locs got a little dryer. Been working well. Its great for dry scalp, conditions your locs and adds shine =)

Karibana
10-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Kari what is your oil mix?

Equal parts castor oil and glycerin. I could have called it my glycerin mix :-))

ashantigirl
10-29-2011, 05:38 PM
I also need tips for winter.... it will be 3 years loced in February for me. I've always struggled with dry hair (been natural for 15 years). I don't have scalp issues, it's been pretty good at producing its own oils and I only have to oil it 1 to 2x per week with coconut oil. I discovered the power of rinsing for moisture at the the end of the summer and it worked soo well. Now as Fall gets colder and Winter approaches I'm not sure how to continue daily rinses without my locs freezing up. Any suggestions are appreciated? I usually oil my locs to seal in moisture after my weekly wash and once or twice a week after a daily rinse.

Thanks for your help
:)

EmpressRee
11-12-2011, 09:10 PM
I also need tips for winter.... it will be 3 years loced in February for me. I've always struggled with dry hair (been natural for 15 years). I don't have scalp issues, it's been pretty good at producing its own oils and I only have to oil it 1 to 2x per week with coconut oil. I discovered the power of rinsing for moisture at the the end of the summer and it worked soo well. Now as Fall gets colder and Winter approaches I'm not sure how to continue daily rinses without my locs freezing up. Any suggestions are appreciated? I usually oil my locs to seal in moisture after my weekly wash and once or twice a week after a daily rinse.

Thanks for your help

I am in the same boat. It will be 3 years in March for me. I think that I am going to continue using the JMCO and see how well it works.

Question: What do you mean when you say that you do a daily rinse?

ashantigirl
11-13-2011, 05:44 AM
Every time I get into the shower in the morning I run water over my locs get the them really saturated and massage my scalp for about 5 mins. I guess rinse isn't the right word as I'm not trying to remove product from my locs or scalp it... I should say I water my locs daily

MzHoneyLocs
11-18-2011, 01:30 PM
In considering going back to coconut oil...so far, it has been the only thing that has EVER worked in my locs to keep then moisturized.
I stopped about a year and a half ago when I started noticing build up, but I wasn't clarifying regularly either.
Being that I've dyed the crap out of my locs (four times red that didn't really take, the fifth time a honey blonde, all within the span of 7 months), mine are especially dry.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S using Forum Runner