PDA

View Full Version : As the year comes to an end (reflections)

cocoacurly
12-22-2010, 04:09 PM
My hair experiences in 2010

At the start of 2010 i was just learning how to cornrow and two strand twist. I had a setback with my scalp a few months later when i went to get my hair braided. I experienced the effects of not keeping your color treated hair moisturized enough. I have recovered though,but still. Fail on me. :(
I found a better way to detangle and keep my hair stretched. Medium plaits work way better than twists, and did i mention that braidouts are AWESOME?!?! I just figured that out this month. Oh, whipped shea butter (w/ olive,castor, and pepermint oil) works wonders as a sealant and style aid. Actually it works better than my ORS lock and twist gel when i do twists. :o Being impatient with your hair is BAD BAD BAD, take your time when you detangle PUH-LEASE. Dont yank out single strand knots, yes they are annoying, but yanking them out causes splits and more damage. Searching and destroyin is my new hobby. When my hair is looking nice, i feel great, so instead of being lazy all the time i should just do my hair. The results are very mood boosting :D

Things i want to do in the new year arree :

eat right (i've been doing good so far, less red meat, more veggies and fruit)
drink plenty of water (i aim for 126 oz)
moisturize daily!! (i am terrible with that)
deep condition more
try to stretch out getting my hair dyed to every four months (i will be getting it colored next month)
do my hair more !
detangle my hair better (a few weeks ago i tried to detangle while i was tired and all hormonal and i had hair everywhere)
protective style (will ps more after my bday lol)
do more creative styles
find a regie!!
trim hair every few months
So teens, do you have any hair experiences / lessons learned this year to share?

S/N: I want to try a new deep conditioner, any suggestions?

Lady.Capri
12-26-2010, 12:50 AM
2010 Hair Recap:

November 2009 I braided my hair into micros. That month was to be known as the last relaxer ever lol
January 2010: (Mini bc) I cut my hair into a mohawk and left some long relaxed hair in the middle
February 2010: Complete bc! One of the happiest free(est) lol times I've had so far
April 10 2010: 5 days after my seventeen birthday I cut my hair extremely low into a fade and has since been my last cut
August 2010: First hair color application since natural (copper bronze)
October/November: Colored again to try blonde
December 21 2010: Decided to start locs
December 23 2010: Baby locs were complete <3

So... experiences or lesson learned?:

I learned that aussie moist was amazing to my hair! I have never had a shampoo that I was able to finger comb my hair and detangle with in the shower. Shampoos always made my hair hard and notty, and omg the conditioner is amazing too.

I learned that my hair will not always look picture perfect, but go with it b/c an afro is amazing in itself lol. I hate shrinkage. Stretching with rubberbands or scrunci's are the way to go for perfect hair in the morning.

I've been natural just about a year and I love it. I will ALWAYS love my fro, but I think it's time to experience locs. I have no idea what to really expect with this journey, but I hope it takes me where my future is...

I have to now figure out the best locking gel to use and I think I'll use a stocking cap on my hair to wash with. I will be touching up my color and retwisting in 1 1/2 months.

Saoirse
12-26-2010, 10:05 AM
At the beginning of the year I was still permed (as in the photo). I didn't know whether or not I wanted to go natural or not, mainly because of what people would say. But then I watched Kimmaytube on youtube and said that if she could do it I can as well. I transitioned for 10 months and finally did the BC on October 29th. It took about an hour to get used to, but after that I was in love and a few guys complimented on how brave I was.

I've only been natural for about two months and I'm still learning how to take care of my hair, but this is what has changed in my life since then:

~ My diet has completely changed. I no longer eat meat or fish or refined sugars. I'm just a happy, little vegetarian.
~ I drink a lot more water than I used to.
~ I go for walks daily.
~ I only wash my hair ONCE A WEEK,
~ I tell my afro how cute it is every morning.
~ I stopped giving a damn what people have to say about me and just love myself.
~ . . . There are no salons for natural hair in Italy. Go figure.

Plus.. The only deep conditioning I do is from my hairdresser and she's over 4,000 miles away.