PDA

View Full Version : Dry, Brittle Hair!

sinsue
01-01-2011, 12:09 AM
I need some suggestions on what products I can use on my hair for softness and to moisturize my hair. My hair is very dry, brittle and shedding. I'm trying to find something to make my hair healthy while I transition out of my relaxer!

Browny
01-01-2011, 12:20 AM
So far, what's working for me, is a moisturizing spray (darcy's botanicals), bee mine hair milk, and darcy's botanicals butter. I was struggling with dry hair for years, and this seems to be the solution. Also, incorporating products with silk amino acids (they're in my conditioner and shampoo), prepooing with shea butter and olive oil, and deep conditioning with heat at least once a week.

Blackbreezey
01-01-2011, 12:35 AM
I know I might get some negative feedback, but this works for me. I use hair grease; Africa's Best castor oil. My mother used to grease my hair regularly when I was a little girl and my hair grew like crazy. I also use Cantu shea butter. I have a BC and 4b hair. My hair is coarse and very dry. I also wash my hair weekly with any type of coconut shampoo and I use a leave in conditioner. Good luck!:D

chachadiva
01-01-2011, 12:42 AM
My mother used to grease my hair regularly when I was a little girl and my hair grew like crazy.

Grease does not make your hair grow.

Whatever moisturizing/lubrication properties helped your hair to not break off. It may aid in retention, but it doesn't cause any growth.

rosalindb
01-01-2011, 01:04 AM
What is your current routine?

The night before wash day, I like to do an overnight oil treatment and I saturate my hair with organic virgin coconut oil

Non-sulfate shampoos are less drying as they do not strip your hair. I personally love Aubrey Organics White Camellia shampoo.

For deep conditioners, I also use Aubrey Organics products. I use their GBP conditioner as a pre-shampoo treatment mixed with honey and castor oil. I deep condition after shampooing with their White Camellia conditioner. I have also tried Darcy Botanicals conditioner and that was lovely also

To moisturise my hair, I spritz with rosewater and then seal with oil. I love light oils like jojoba. That might work for you or you may need something heavier like olive oil, coconut oil etc

sinsue
01-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Where can you purchase Darcy botanicals products and bee mine hair milk?

rosalindb
01-01-2011, 01:20 AM
Where can you purchase Darcy botanicals products and bee mine hair milk?
http://darcysbotanicals.com/
http://www.beemineproducts.com/

Hope that helps

coilycurly
01-01-2011, 02:31 AM
Can you please give us some more detailed information on your current information - your products and how often you wash, condition/deep condition, what styles you wear.

missalyssa
01-01-2011, 02:24 PM
My leave in is Hawaiian Silky 14-1. When I seal with an oil (coconut or wheat germ) my hair is very soft and manageable.

ziyiazi
01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
you could try Qhemet Biologic line, I heard they were good for hair that can't retain moisture.

Fronomenal
01-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Can you please give us some more detailed information on your current information - your products and how often you wash, condition/deep condition, what styles you wear.
I second this. The aforementioned is more important than product suggestions.

sinsue
01-01-2011, 08:18 PM
I wash and condition my hair with organic root stimulator uplifting shampoo and the hair mayonnaise treatment for damage hair. I use to go to the hair salon for my stylist to wash and condition my hair every two weeks when I was getting an relaxer, since I'm transitioning to natural, I basically do it myself with the products I mention. The last time I had an relaxer was about 5 weeks ago. Looking to get micro braids in the near future.

naturalhair429
01-01-2011, 08:59 PM
If you are washing with regular shampoo, STOP. I love Aubrey Organics conditioners (honeysuckle rose) but the shampoos make my hair feel hard (they are all natural & vegan). I conditioner wash a lot and maybe wash with shampoo 1 time a month with Carols Daughter Rosemary mint herbal shampoo. I use olive oil, castor oil, jojoba oil, Vatika Oil (coconut oil, lemongrass oil, amla oil, henna - less than $4 at the Indian grocery store),and more recently Carols Daughter Mimosa hair honey (her products are good but soo expensive. I got this using a free coupon) to oil my scalp. I use Shea Moisture shea butter leave-in conditioner too. Suave professionals almond shea conditioner does wonders to my surprise and soo moisturizing. It's what I use for co-wash (less than $3 at Walmart for 32 oz. bottle) This one was a shocking surprise to me and smells soo good, really thick and creamy. I plat & tie up y hair at night (satin scarf) and wear loose during the day. It's very soft, shiny and moisturized. Lots of compliments. 4a type hair primarily in the crown with 3c in the back & on the sides

Fronomenal
01-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I wash and condition my hair with organic root stimulator uplifting shampoo and the hair mayonnaise treatment for damage hair. I use to go to the hair salon for my stylist to wash and condition my hair every two weeks when I was getting an relaxer, since I'm transitioning to natural, I basically do it myself with the products I mention. The last time I had an relaxer was about 5 weeks ago. Looking to get micro braids in the near future.
How often do you wash and deep condition your hair? What do you use to moisturize? What styles do you wear?

sinsue
01-02-2011, 03:39 PM
How often do you wash and deep condition your hair? What do you use to moisturize? What styles do you wear?

I wash and condition my hair every two weeks. I use olive oil moisturizing lotion, I wear my hair straight with curls.

missalyssa
01-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Once your hair is dry after washing and conditioning, does it feel moisturized?

Lafleur
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
I wash and condition my hair every two weeks. I use olive oil moisturizing lotion, I wear my hair straight with curls.

Are you heat straightening your hair with blowdryers and/or flatirons (aka burnlaxing)? If so, that is most likely the culprit and would have been key information to include in your original post -- please see the Heat Consequences Archive.

EDIT: I see that you're new and transitioning. I'd encourage you to visit the Transitioner's Forum to find help and support for transitioning without relying on heat styling.

missalyssa
01-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Are you heat straightening your hair with blowdryers and/or flatirons (aka burnlaxing)? If so, that is most likely the culprit and would have been key information to include in your original post -- please see the Heat Consequences Archive.

EDIT: I see that you're new and transitioning. I'd encourage you to visit the Transitioner's Forum to find help and support for transitioning without relying on heat styling.

Yes, I was wondering about that too.

yaynita
01-03-2011, 03:03 AM

Your hair may need water more than every two weeks. Are you at least spritzing with water?