PDA

View Full Version : Trim at the barber, Blowout OR twistout ?

rubynaturalprincess
01-08-2011, 03:48 AM
Hey ladies!!

I am in the process of unravelling my locs and have on 40 left, out of 124.
While my hair has grown immensely, I notice that I need a good trimming of the split ends. I decided to go to the barber when I'm done, but my concern is should I blow dry my hair out (to stretch it) so the barber can see my split ends more clearly ? I would love to have it blown out for a few days but I prob won't blow it out again for a long time esp since heat can cause curl pattern damage. What are some suggestions......

Thanks in advance.

OHR
01-08-2011, 04:00 AM
I am of the opinion that it is not necessary to blow dry hair before trimming. I would suggest stretching the hair by braiding or banding instead. Way less stress. You might want to check out the 'Search' function to get more info....good luck!

TheSuperCoya
01-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Ask the barber....if he thinks it's necessary for you to blow out your hair in order to trim any split ends you have, find another one.

There are plenty of salons, barbers, etc. that specialize in natural hair....see if you can locate one in your area that can trim split ends without having to apply heat to your hair, because like you said, it CAN cause permanent heat damage to your hair, and nobody wants that....esp. just for some clipped ends :(

Oh and btw :) Here at NP we advocate no-heat styling, as the "heat consequences" thread shows some of the horror stories that can happen to those who even use heat protectant, low heat, deep conditioning, and every other possible preparation that supposedly protects your hair from damage. So, you'll never get any recommendations here to apply heat to your hair.

I hope you succeed in finding a good place to get your ends trimmed. Some have even clipped their own ends. I tried looking for the threads, but I couldn't come up with any, so hopefully those who have done this will chime in!!!

Hope this helps!!! :D

Akomas_Angel
01-08-2011, 04:44 AM
You've certainly been busy. It takes some time to take locs down. I wouldn't recommend blowing out your hair to get a trim. My recommendation would be to stretch the hair by banding. The results should have your hair looking something like this:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToGZ8sYIK9peQqRmMhrmkWh9CkPot2a ZjaqxiMKzrsLtsPfn41http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZImOdhvtlqmwZ63xAIzOQVZqOAdf4D 0QuGwroLh4EsdDMTMoD

Surely, a talented barber/stylist should be able to trim your ends in this state. If not, I would find one that could.

Moderator Q
01-08-2011, 05:32 AM
Like Supercoya stated, NP does not advocate using heat to style natural hair. So, we know where this thread goes......