PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I Flat-ironed my hair and NOW.....

NappyJoyce
01-11-2011, 04:43 PM
it won't revert back :( I am so upset, I could just cry. I was told to NOT flat-iron my hair, but didn't listen, and now I'm paying for it. Is there anything I can do, besides another BC? Like maybe a hair repair treatment or something. The roots are still nappy, but the ends are straight and I'm so heartbroken. I LOVE MY NAPPS!!

CinnamonBiscuit
01-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Your hair is DAMAGED. Accept it as a loss, learn the lesson, and DON'T do it again.

For the sake of my curiosity, how do you claim to love your naps so much when you willingly burned them away?

KoilyLocGirl
01-11-2011, 04:45 PM
That's all she wrote.

Check these out. http://www.nappturality.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Khalliqa
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
it won't revert back :( I am so upset, I could just cry. I was told to NOT flat-iron my hair, but didn't listen, and now I'm paying for it. Is there anything I can do, besides another BC? Like maybe a hair repair treatment or something. The roots are still nappy, but the ends are straight and I'm so heartbroken. I LOVE MY NAPPS!!

In addition to what is written above.. You really need to reflect on what drove you to flat iron in the first place.. Perhaps you have not found styles that make you feel at peace with your natural hair.. Even if there were some magic trick to help you revert you would still have to deal with why you chose to flat iron...

As of right now you need to treat your hair as if it is permed and simply transition again into a full head of natural hair..

Princess Pamplemousse
01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
I feel your pain dear :( Try some protein treatments (be sure to moisturize after!). That's all I got. Good luck, we ALL make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up.

G.Eve
01-11-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh, dear. So sorry. Try a beer rinse. Go onto YT and check it out. Wash your hair as normal they use flat beer and abt 2 drops of oil to rinse it.....hope it works, and please learn from this. Let us know how it goes.

FaithNPraise
01-11-2011, 04:52 PM
In addition to what is written above.. You really need to reflect on what drove you to flat iron in the first place.. Perhaps you have not found styles that make you feel at peace with your natural hair.. Even if there were some magic trick to help you revert you would still have to deal with why you chose to flat iron...

I agree (:-) I flat ironed for YEARS before I realized I wasn't doing my hair any favors or coming any closer to embracing my naps - so I BC'd again (3rd time was the charm ;)) and haven't come anywhere near a flat iron or even a blow dryer! I honestly was "used to" how I looked with straight hair and always fell back on that - although I loved my curls and they way they looked when I left them alone! {o

I wish you the best!

Beautifully Human
01-11-2011, 04:53 PM
For the sake of my curiosity, how do you claim to love your naps so much when you willingly burned them away?

I think it's unfair to question how much she loves her natural hair just b/c she decided to flat iron. Maybe she just wanted to try something different with it. Many folks who participate on NP have flat ironed their hair they just don't advertise it on here since it's not allowed. Doesn't mean they hate their naps. The OP made a bad decision and regrets it. Why make her feel worse? If she didn't love her natural hair she would feel little to no remorse about the heat damage and would just continue straightening it. I mean damn, can't folks make mistakes up in this piece?

@ the OP. Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately for many naturals flat ironing is a BIG risk. You'll have to literally cut your losses and start over.

CinnamonBiscuit
01-11-2011, 04:55 PM
I wasn't trying to make OP feel worse, I was just wondering because it seemed contradictory to me, that's all.

bhop13
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM

You can do another chop or you can grow the damaged hair out and trim every month (this is what I did). You'll have to find styles that make your hair look the same all over. Braidouts with the ends set on perm rods are good for something like this.

fuzzyhair
01-11-2011, 05:05 PM
I think it's unfair to question how much she loves her natural hair just b/c she decided to flat iron. Maybe she just wanted to try something different with it. Many folks who participate on NP have flat ironed their hair they just don't advertise it on here since it's not allowed. Doesn't mean they hate their naps. The OP made a bad decision and regrets it. Why make her feel worse? If she didn't love her natural hair she would feel little to no remorse about the heat damage and would just continue straightening it. I mean damn, can't folks make mistakes up in this piece?

@ the OP. Sorry this happened to you. Unfortunately for many naturals flat ironing is a BIG risk. You'll have to literally cut your losses and start over.

IDK, that is an assumption? You can not determine if many or few have flat ironed, because it is not openly discussed.

And I can't take any pity on the OP she said herself she was told NOT to use heat, but didn't listen. Especially seeing how many heat threads that are posted day after day, same story different hair texture.

Not trying to make anyone feel worse that is just the brakes. If you don't listen you risk damaging your hair. Grown folks can do what they want, but don't cry uncle when you gamble and lose. Especially when you KNOW what can happen if you lose. Makes no sense to me.

Batyah
01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
The only thing I would suggest at this point is either trim the ends and move forward from this point. Keep your hair moisturized and you should be ok. HTH

bhop13
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
IDK, that is an assumption? You can not determine if many or few have flat ironed, because it is not openly discussed.

It's not an assumption. If you go to a lot of photo albums and youtube channels you'll see that BeautifullyHuman is absolutely right.

Nerdmom
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Ugh, how much of your ends won't revert? You might not have lost everything. The weakest parts of your hair are generally the oldest which is the ends. Maybe cut off an inch or so just so you're not wasting product on your weakest link. Then HIGH moisture LOW manipulation until you know just how damaged your hair may be. Rinse or condition-wash daily and try not to use products with alcohol or cones in them. Alcohol may be easier to avoid than cones as usually alcohol is in styling products. Cones can and will block moisture from reaching the shaft of your hair, so if you do HAVE to use something with cones in it, like conditioners etc, do an ACV rinse every couple of weeks. My moisturizers of choice are Food Grade Aloe Vera juice mixed with water in a spray bottle after every wash or rinse. Then I seal in the moisture with EVOO.
Finally, if this is how your hair reacts to heat, then PLEASE don't get sucked into using heat on your hair on a regular basis. You may need to accept that heat and your hair are frenemies, your hair looks good straight, but is seriously damaged as a result. That relationship is toxic, stay away!

Beautifully Human
01-11-2011, 05:25 PM

It's not an assumption. If you go to a lot of photo albums and youtube channels you'll see that BeautifullyHuman is absolutely right.

I was just about to say this. Thanks bhop. I wasn't making an assumption, this is based on numerous fotki albums I've visited/youtube vids.

I think the OP knows what she did was wrong hence why she said she was told not to do it and still went ahead and did it anyway. She's admitted her mistake and is simply asking folks for advice on how to move forward. It's not a matter of pitying her. I am sorry she didn't listen to the advice she was originally given though.

Khalliqa
01-11-2011, 05:29 PM
I am sorry she didn't listen to the advice she was originally given though.

IMO if she doesn't deal with why she ignored the advice it will take her longer to fully get to the point where she doesn't feel like she needs to straighten her hair.. THere is a reason she rejected the advice and felt like damaging her hair was worth the risk..

She needs advice regarding how to manage her hair now AND she needs to ensure that it doesn't recur again by reflecting on the part of psyche that got her to this point in the first place.. Regret is a start but it is not a complete healing..

She may need more style options or something.. I do not know.. but I'm not sure she can ensure that this won't happen again if she doesn't do some soul searching..

Akomas_Angel
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
OP, I'm sorry that you are experiencing heat damage. If you are not ready to do another bc, I would recommend triming off the damaged ends little by little.

Like Bhop suggested you can do styles that will hide the damaged parts. If your hair is long enough, you can do bun styles. You can also do cornrow, flat twist styles that will hide your ends.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any treatment that can be done to salvage burned ends. But be sure to do a few deep conditioning/protein treatments to help strengthen your hair.

Please come back and let us know what you decide to do.

HTH

caribbeanqueen42
01-11-2011, 05:38 PM
to all of you that sympathize with her THANK YOU. And yes....lots of you have tried it but just dont say. I have been natural since 07 and love my naps and yes i too just wanted a change for the holidays - 1 week to be precise and now it wont revert I generally dont wear my naps long because i like the afro look so of my 6 in 4 has stayed dead straight. Yeah I regret it big time and no Im not trying to kill myself over it. Hair grows....as you breathe. I actually take great offense to anyone who say that im not a true napp lover because i tried something new. I have helped and coached so many friends and people into going natural ( even offering to do their twist out and braids when they get discouraged). Also the notion that you cant talk about it on this site is CRAP. I thought we are suppose to be sistas helping each other. Women are just a bunch of haters at heart. This site has worn me out with its hyprocracy.

CinnamonBiscuit
01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
^^^

Bye, then.8)

caribbeanqueen42
01-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Help each other - dont hate each other

Khalliqa
01-11-2011, 05:41 PM
to all of you that sympathize with her THANK YOU. And yes....lots of you have tried it but just dont say. I have been natural since 07 and love my naps and yes i too just wanted a change for the holidays - 1 week to be precise and now it wont revert I generally dont wear my naps long because i like the afro look so of my 6 in 4 has stayed dead straight. Yeah I regret it big time and no Im not trying to kill myself over it. Hair grows....as you breathe. I actually take great offense to anyone who say that im not a true napp lover because i tried something new. I have helped and coached so many friends and people into going natural ( even offering to do their twist out and braids when they get discouraged). Also the notion that you cant talk about it on this site is CRAP. I thought we are suppose to be sistas helping each other. Women are just a bunch of haters at heart. This site has worn me out with its hyprocracy.

You can not advocate utilizing heat on this site.. You are allowed to seek help recovering from it.. No one has said, at least in this thread, that you are not a true napp lover..

you are introducing a lot of your own angst into this discussion...

Sinamin2
01-11-2011, 05:41 PM
I know I've made my share of mistakes with my hair... Heck I think I got the BC starting over record. None of us here are perfect... Lets give her a break, she came here for support. Dang, we're not judges, all of us are only HUMAN I hope.. lets act like it, and give the unconditional support that I know we all are capable of giving.
Sweetie... AND you shouldn't have to prove your love for your hair to anyone.

Beautifully Human
01-11-2011, 05:46 PM
IMO if she doesn't deal with why she ignored the advice it will take her longer to fully get to the point where she doesn't feel like she needs to straighten her hair.. THere is a reason she rejected the advice and felt like damaging her hair was worth the risk..

She needs advice regarding how to manage her hair now AND she needs to ensure that it doesn't recur again by reflecting on the part of psyche that got her to this point in the first place.. Regret is a start but it is not a complete healing..

She may need more style options or something.. I do not know.. but I'm not sure she can ensure that this won't happen again if she doesn't do some soul searching..

I see your point. I guess my thing is that we really don't know much about the OP's thought process to even assume that she needs to unpack why she did it in the first place. Maybe she simply thought it wouldn't happen to her and that if she took the right precautions her hair would be fine. *shrugs* There may not be some deep rooted reason behind her decision to not listen to the warning given to her other than her thinking that her head of hair was exempt from experiencing heat damage.

caribbeanqueen42
01-11-2011, 05:52 PM
I feel your pain dear :( Try some protein treatments (be sure to moisturize after!). That's all I got. Good luck, we ALL make mistakes. Don't beat yourself up.

Why the hate....and you dont even know me.

Khalliqa
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
There may not be some deep rooted reason behind her decision to not listen to the warning given to her other than her thinking that her head of hair was exempt from experiencing heat damage.

You are correct someone thinking they could straighten their hair and still retain their natural curls is a possibility.. meaning it is a temporary style change that will not do damage.. and you are correct that we would not know until we asked..

I find it unlikely.. but you are still correct.. :)

ImNotMyHair
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
I have helped and coached so many friends and people into going natural ( even offering to do their twist out and braids when they get discouraged). Also the notion that you cant talk about it on this site is CRAP. I thought we are suppose to be sistas helping each other. Women are just a bunch of haters at heart. This site has worn me out with its hyprocracy.

Umm... I think you're being a bit dramatic .... troll much?
#1) Dee set up and maintains this site with her own time and money (and some of ours who decide to be PANK) and if she says we can't talk about something, then either respect it or leave. It's really that simple.
#2) Electra (and everyone else) was just trying to help... no shade involved. Protein and moisture have helped a lot of folks who thought their hair wouldn't revert after the wash. You're being overly sensitive.
#3) How are you fed up with a site that you have less than 10 posts on?? troll much?

Fronomenal
01-11-2011, 05:58 PM
No amount of deep conditioning, protein treatments, beer rinses or any topical treatments will reverse the damage. To get rid of the damage, you'll have to cut it. You don't have to do another BC--you can do protective styles or styles to blend the two textures while you wait for healthier hair to grow.

Beautifully Human
01-11-2011, 06:00 PM

I was actually feeling your testimonial until the end. :-| If women are suppose to be sistas helping each other out how exactly does calling women a bunch of haters at heart help to uplift and support them?

Even though I may disagree with the approach of a post or two I'd hardly call what anyone wrote in here "hating" I've been around NP for a minute and I know most of the ladies in here generally mean well even if they come across as blunt or harsh at times. Most of the posters on this site are very protective of Dee's mission even if that means being called all sorts of names. If you can't respect the mission of this site then there are many others that may be more suited to you. It's that simple. Like I've been saying for years now. NP ain't for everybody! NEXT!

ImNotMyHair
01-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Also ... caribbean, didn't you get your question answered yesterday?
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137248

Something don't smell right ...

sugarrysweet98
01-11-2011, 06:15 PM
http://images.ubercomments.com/4/31995.gif

Oh..yeah its hair it'll grow back.....

Basal
01-11-2011, 06:18 PM
OP! Girl its ok. We live and learn, and some of us are a lil more hard headed than others lol. For all the people up here that are coming on kinda harsh towards you for straightening your hair, kinda look at them like "the good children" you know the ones who NEVER do any wrong and follow every instruction. they can't really sympathize with you because theyre on the straight and narrow BUT they are the role models that you want to follow and LISTEN to. You just strayed a lil bit but like the "good children" said dont let it happen again.

I sympathize with you not out of experience, but out of just knowing what its like to know somethings "wrong" and still do it and then get burned in the process.

If i were you, i'd cut the hair off. The quicker you start new, the quicker this incident becomes a thing of the past.

Girl it aint like you murdered somebody. At the end of the day, its just hair that you cared for improperly and it will grow back.

Good luck :)