PDA

View Full Version : help..i flat ironed,trimmed off an inch and dry combed my hair alll within 24 hrs

Faithlyn
01-30-2011, 04:10 PM
ooo I hate to confess this but i saw my wavy haired flatmate blowing out her hair and though maybe I could do the same and get the same results....didnt work. I don't normally use heat on my hair and I still ended up with a fro after flat ironing my hair for like 3 hours.

But I did find out that my ends were lile barbed wire and I got a friend to trim off about an inch( at least ..an inch).After which my blown,flat ironed hair felt a lot lot better,I'm hoping that after a good dc my curly hair will also feel healthier after the trim.The last couple weeks I have been shedding balls of knots everytime I tough my hair,I don't even have to comb it and they come out...jus these knotted strands that show at the end of twists...and washing has been even worse,I 've just been losing sooo much hair.

I've trying two strand twists but I think that may make it even worse because when I take them out there's plenty hair popping and snapping going on. Now that I've trimmed my hair I'm in position to have a fresh start...what can I do do avoid this kind of knotting and tangling,did I just need a trim in the first place?

My current routine is probably not the best I'm an unpaid volunteer worker and I just don't have the funds to be buying lots of products.I was shampooing with Pantene..I think I will stop and jus cowash with vob and condition with the replenishing pak from organic roots stimulator,after washing I put in some coconut oil and twist/braid my hair up..I just got the loc and twist gel from ORS so im hoping that will add more moisture into my routine.I'm really desperate guys,I loooooove my natural hair but I can't handle it being in this condition, I knew how to take care of my relaxed hair...natural hair,not so much :o I would love love love your suggestiong about what i can do differently with my existing products..if thats possible,perhapd hairstyles that result in min tangling and shedding.how often should I trim?

wooo I needed to get that off my chest,thanks :)

CinnamonBiscuit
01-30-2011, 04:17 PM
It would help if you stopped trying to make your hair look like other people's hair. Leave the heat alone.

There's no rule stating that you have to go bankrupt buying products. Buy something, try it out, if you don't like it, try something else. Also, check out the forum about homemade products.

It also seems you handle your hair when it's dry, which may not be the best thing for you, and unless you have locs, why are you buying and using loc & twist gel?

mymy
01-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Faithlyn, I hope you don't end up with any heat damage from using direct heat on your hair.
If twists cause excessive knotting on your ends, you can try box braids to see if you get less knotting. Sometimes a trim can help reduce tangling. In case you didn't know, you don't need to straighten your hair to trim it. Good luck moving forward.

MyHairChroniclesCMC
01-30-2011, 04:23 PM
LOL...it's ok to experiment with a lot of things, but HEAT is not one of them.

AuNappturale
01-30-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello, Faithlyn. Have you tried the suggestions given to you back in April 2010?
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2182045#post2182045

1. Stop using heat on your hair.
2. Find hair twins here, on Fotki, or YouTube and ask them for product suggestions.
3. You don't need a lot of money for products. Less is more. Many products can be found in your kitchen or medicine cabinet, i.e. olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil, etc. Curl activators don't cost much. Try those for moisture.
4. Trimming can prevent knots and tangles on the ends. You'll have to get a feel for your hair to see how often you'll need one. Perhaps every 1-2 months.
5. Moisture seems to be your challenge, so use a leave-in and wear protective styles. Twists should look fabulous on your hair.

Try the suggestions and let us know how you're doing. Good luck!

Princess Pamplemousse
01-30-2011, 04:34 PM
If your hair is already dry, I'd ditch the ORS Replenishing Pak. Check the ingredients list. Isn't it protein heavy? Find a truly moisturizing DC. Yes to Carrots mud mask thingy is working for me. And I wouldn't get rid of my shampoo. If it's too stripping, try washing as normal, but before your final rinse (that is, if you do more than one 'poo. I don't) add your conditioner. When you rinse both out together, your hair shouldn't be stripped.

And...I don't comb my hair totally dry. If you don't want to get it sopping wet, try loading up on condish at least.

Moderator Q
01-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Thanks to those ladies who offered good advice to Faithlyn. Faithlyn, I hope the advice given will help you with your hair woes. :)