PDA

View Full Version : Castor Oil

Dametria
02-10-2011, 07:19 PM
I bought a generic brand that is used as a laxative. How do you apply castor oil to your locs? Do you apply straight from the container or do you dilute it? Does it cause build up? Do you apply it every day for moisture? How do you make it smell better? I've been locking for 3 years and I don't use many products. My hair is really dry.

Thank you

Alisondra
02-10-2011, 07:33 PM
What made you buy it? Did you read something somewhere that said to use it for hair dryness? Were there no instructions on how to use it?

I don't use many products either but I do use EVOO (olive oil) on my freshly washed & conditioned hair to seal in moisture. Maybe you can try that with the castor oil?

Build up? I have no idea. I clarify with ACV every so often and that has helped me steer clear of buildup issues.

As for smell, I believe you can buy scented oils and add a few drops to the castor oil.

~best wishes~

Dametria
02-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi Alisondra,
I read post from this site stating castor oil was a very good moisturizer. I didn't see how they applied it though. Before locking, I used olive oil a lot. How do you use olive oil on your locs?

NEW-NAPS
02-10-2011, 07:41 PM
i use it straight out of the bottle. I added a few drops of peppermint EO and that helps with the smell. i just dampen my hair with water and pour a little castor in the palm of my hand, rub my hand together, then run my hand through my dreads. HTH!

Dametria
02-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks New-Naps. It is so thick. I was wondering if that's how it's done. Do you apply daily? I'm anxious to try it but want to do it right.

Alisondra
02-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Hi Alisondra,
I read post from this site stating castor oil was a very good moisturizer. I didn't see how they applied it though. Before locking, I used olive oil a lot. How do you use olive oil on your locs?

Oh okay.

I use the olive oil just like I stated in my original post. After I wash/condition my hair, I put some oil in my hands and rub it throughout my locks to seal in moisture.

NEW-NAPS
02-10-2011, 08:00 PM
i don't apply daily, prob every couple of days or something like that. pretty much when I feel like my hair is getting dry i use it.

Dametria
02-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Thanks Alisondra and New-Naps. I'll try it straight from the bottle and see what happens.

thefineprint
02-20-2011, 08:31 PM
i've read on this board that castor oil was good for moisture but i've had problems with it every time i've used it alone. instead, i use it on freshly washed hair 1x per week mixed with olive oil. this seems to hold in the moisture for me. castor oil by itself just really drys out my hair...