PDA

View Full Version : New to gardening

alt0119
03-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Due to the recent economy and high spikes in gas prices, my family figured we would start a garden in our backyard. I was wondering where are you all purchasing seeds from? Anyone know the cheapest place to order from? I was also thinking of buying one of the those trees with a variety of citrus fruits (lemons, limes oranges) as well. Thanks ahead of time.

chachadiva
03-02-2011, 11:16 PM
You're going to love gardening. I've bought seeds from Park Seed and Burpee. Of course, check local hardware stores and stores with garden departments like Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.

http://www.burpee.com/

http://www.parkseed.com/gardening/GP/homepage/page1

Organic seeds: http://www.seedsofchange.com/

alt0119
03-03-2011, 12:54 AM
Great. Thank you SOOOOOO much. Its a little overwhelming at first, there is so much stuff to know!

redecouverte
03-04-2011, 12:12 AM
great thread and thank you so much for the links!
I signed up for a garden plot and I am so excited!!!

creativity
04-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks so much for the links Chacha!

OHR
04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Home gardening is awesome! You'll see what I mean...you'll wonder why you didn't do this sooner!! Have you checked out the other Gardening thread? Check out choco/lockolatte's garden pics!! Good luck.

twix36
04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
So I'm joining this thread. I've been joking for awhile now about growing my own veggies, now I'm actually planning to do it.

I've done some reasearch to see what grows when. I have a place out back that would be perfect. I actually wonder if the people before me used that space for a garden.

Anywho.. my question is, should I use seeds or get the little plants to start with (are they called seedlings)?

Also, do I start in containers/pots or plant right in the ground?

Last question...how do I keep bugs off without pesticides?

I was in Home Depot yesterday buying plants for my bed in the front of the house and took a peek at the veggies. They have everything I want, even herbs!

All and any help/suggestions appreciated. :)

OHR
04-06-2011, 11:20 PM
I've done some research to see what grows when. I have a place out back that would be perfect. I actually wonder if the people before me used that space for a garden.
Well....the first thing you'll want to do [when the ground is warmer] is to see if you need to amend the soil. Compost, used coffee grounds...you get the picture?

Anywho.. my question is, should I use seeds or get the little plants to start with (are they called seedlings)?
Depends on what result you want and how much time you have to devote to sprouting from seed. I've done both. The seedlings [transplants] are a good way to quickly get vegetables...no muss or fuss.

Also, do I start in containers/pots or plant right in the ground?
Again, it depends on what you want and how warm your dirt is...cold dirt & weather=plants that just sit there because the roots are tooo cold!

Last question...how do I keep bugs off without pesticides?
Ah, yes the age old question. There are plants that are very good at keeping away some garden pests...there is so much more to organic gardening [and so much more to say](:-)
By the way, in the meantime, checkout your state's garden extension website for more helpful tips!!! See ya around! I'm excited that YOU'RE excited!

twix36
04-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks OHR!

I live in FL so cold ground isn't much of an issue right now. It's already 80 degrees and has been for a couple of weeks. 8)

As for what I want to achieve....just a small vegetable garden for a few of my favorite veggies.

The area is about 5'x 2'. I only want to plant lettuce, cucumbers, cabbage, yellow squash, spinach and bell peppers. Is that a lot?

I'll definitely check out the extension site. Thanks again.

OHR
04-07-2011, 12:08 AM
The area is about 5'x 2'. I only want to plant lettuce, cucumbers, cabbage, yellow squash, spinach and bell peppers. Is that a lot?
I'll definitely check out the extension site. Thanks again.
Cucumbers and squashes require a lot of space because they are vining plants. I've grown both. Some summers I've grown my cucumbers onto a small wire trellis. That way, they take up less space.

In your earlier post, you'd mentioned how to deal with pests w/out pesticides...cucumbers and squash are prone to a wilting disease carried by the cabbage and cucumber beetles...those dag gone things are hard to control, but it can be done.

5' by 2'? Hmmm...how many plants do you envision of each?

redecouverte
04-07-2011, 12:37 AM
I am so excited too. I just received the jiffy starter seed kit.
I have a quick question too: do tomatoes require a lot of space?what about peas?

OHR
04-07-2011, 01:06 AM
I have a quick question too: do tomatoes require a lot of space?what about peas?
Tomatoes aren't going to spread out as other veggies [greens, squash, cucumbers]. The folks at the garden center can help you decide which [and how many] veggies to plant. Peas, I know nuffin about...but once I tried growing black eyed peas!:D

twix36
04-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Cucumbers and squashes require a lot of space because they are vining plants. I've grown both. Some summers I've grown my cucumbers onto a small wire trellis. That way, they take up less space.

In your earlier post, you'd mentioned how to deal with pests w/out pesticides...cucumbers and squash are prone to a wilting disease carried by the cabbage and cucumber beetles...those dag gone things are hard to control, but it can be done.

5' by 2'? Hmmm...how many plants do you envision of each?

So much to think about. Now I'm scurrred! :o

I'm not sure how many of each. It's just my son and I to feed.

Does one plant produce more than one veggie? When I cut the veggie off does another one grow?

Maybe I'll just stick to flowers...:p

OHR
04-07-2011, 01:47 AM
^ Don't be scurred, twix!

You'll be surprised how much you can get in just a small space...you'll find out fo' sho' when you get squash and cucumbers!!! And yes, one plant can produce plenty o' veggies.

Talk to the garden folk. They can help guide you. Look at pics of the vegetables you want to grow to guide your decision as to how much to plant.

Take a pic of your area...'cause we want to see what you're workin' with! I'm sure the others will chime in!!

twix36
04-07-2011, 01:54 AM
^^Thanks again.

I checked to see if you were in the chat room so we didn't have to keep posting.

I definitely will take a pic of my area as it looks now (don't laugh). It needs to be cleaned off.

I'll ask for advice on my next trip to Home Depot.

OHR
04-07-2011, 01:59 AM
^ I think I just missed you, Twix. I gave the folks in the other garden thread the heads up...your requests for help. I know they will chime in soon.

redecouverte
04-07-2011, 03:08 AM
thank you OHR for your advices!! I really appreciate it

Lockolatte
04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Hi Twix! The way I kept bugs off my plants is to crush garlic and use it in a spray bottle with water on my plants. It worked really well last year.

OHR
04-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Hi Twix! The way I kept bugs off my plants is to crush garlic and use it in a spray bottle with water on my plants. It worked really well last year.
Garlic water huh.....how much?

bellagirl
04-08-2011, 12:34 AM
You can do it twix! OHR gave some great advice.

Here is something I found regarding Organic pest control (http://www.gardenguides.com/92428-organic-pest-control-garden-bugs.html)

I've used the garlic like Choco suggested, insecticidal soap and Bacillus Thuringiensis. Here are a couple of simple recipes (http://www.gardenguides.com/104973-recipes-natural-insecticides-vegetable-plants.html) for organic pest control. Good luck and post pics when you can. :D

Lockolatte
04-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Garlic water huh.....how much?

Hey OHR.:D I just used a whole garlic head and crushed in my garlic press. I put the garlic in a spray bottle and added water. Every time the water got low, I would add more water to the bottle. One pressing lasted the whole season for me because I just added more water to the garlic in the bottle.

twix36
04-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Thanks ladies!

I'm going to take a pic tomorrow and post so you can see the area I'm planning to garden.

Just got my shrubs to do my front bed this week. Came home yesterday and my ex-h and son had planted the plants! YAY!

It makes the front look so much better. I just need to put down mulch.

My outside is coming along. Just wish I had the funds to do everything at once (sprinklers, grass, garden, etc)

OHR
04-09-2011, 01:16 AM
Hey OHR.:D I just used a whole garlic head and crushed in my garlic press. I put the garlic in a spray bottle and added water. Every time the water got low, I would add more water to the bottle. One pressing lasted the whole season for me because I just added more water to the garlic in the bottle.
Ok...I'm going to try this once the plants are in the ground. Thanks again!!!

OHR
04-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Just got my shrubs to do my front bed this week. Came home yesterday and my ex-h and son had planted the plants! YAY!
yAy indeed, twix!

redecouverte
04-09-2011, 11:35 PM
since I am new to gardening, I went a bit crazy buying seeds. I was wondering if anyone is interested in seed swapping?

creativity
05-21-2011, 10:39 PM
since I am new to gardening, I went a bit crazy buying seeds. I was wondering if anyone is interested in seed swapping?

LOL! You couldn't help yourself huh?:-))

So Red have you planted your seeds yet? I just got some plants today and I am excited. I am going to put them in larger containers now--roma tomatoes, peppers,cucumbers and strawberries to start.

Lockolatte
05-22-2011, 02:25 AM
LOL! You couldn't help yourself huh?:-))

So Red have you planted your seeds yet? I just got some plants today and I am excited. I am going to put them in larger containers now--roma tomatoes, peppers,cucumbers and strawberries to start.

Don't forget to take photos of your plants. It's amazing how fast everything grows.:p

creativity
05-22-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes I sure will Lockolatte. I will also get a few more and then take pics all at once. I hope I don't kill the little guys.

Oh and thanks for the garlic water tip!

QueenLocks
05-26-2011, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure, but I heard cayenne pepper is also good to deter bugs.
I need to do some online research and grow a garden as well.

AuNappturale
05-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Had no idea this was a section NP. (Yay for the search feature.) I'd been wanting to grow tomatoes and bell peppers for a while b/c the organic ones are so pricey. I was gifted plants of both, but the tomatoes quickly died when repotted. I do NOT have a green thumb. The peppers are still growing, though. They've been the same size for over a week now. I'm growing them indoors. Anyone else grow indoors?

I'm going to try the tomatoes again once I get more edumakashun. I should get a book. Make it a part of my summer reading.

Akomas_Angel
05-30-2011, 04:35 AM
I just bought a tomato plant today and will be buying a cucumber and green pepper jiffy plant tomorrow. I just have to figure out what type of soil to buy. I think I've been reading too many gardening articles on growing veggies in pots. I'm sooo confused now.

QueenLocks
05-30-2011, 03:28 PM
I need to go buy seeds. I do not know if veggie plants can be bought at Wal-Mart, but I know they have flowers in pots outside all the time. I hope to find articles online about veggie gardening. It is new for me.

Lockolatte
05-30-2011, 06:07 PM
Welcome to all the new gardeners.
I grow all my stuff outside and use mostly Miracle Gro soil. Check the pictures gardening thread for a visual. :))

creativity
06-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Had no idea this was a section NP. (Yay for the search feature.) I'd been wanting to grow tomatoes and bell peppers for a while b/c the organic ones are so pricey. I was gifted plants of both, but the tomatoes quickly died when repotted. I do NOT have a green thumb. The peppers are still growing, though. They've been the same size for over a week now. I'm growing them indoors. Anyone else grow indoors?

I'm going to try the tomatoes again once I get more edumakashun. I should get a book. Make it a part of my summer reading.

AuNapp--are you growing indoors because you don't have a space outside? I think tomatoes would fare better outside. I had issues repotting plants but I think what I did better this time is not to pack the dirt too tightly around the plant and loosen the root bulb a bit before repotting.

AuNappturale
06-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Ladies, my peppers are wilting!! Does that mean they're dying or ready for picking. (Hope it's the latter.) *see! no green thumb*

AuNapp--are you growing indoors because you don't have a space outside?Too hot & too much direct sunlight to grow them outside.

Lockolatte
06-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Pepper plants do droop a bit in the heat of the day. If they have peppers on them that are a good size they are ready to be picked. Otherwise just make sure you keep them watered well preferably in the morning or evening so they will not shrivel up from the heat of the day.

AuNappturale
06-04-2011, 09:55 PM
So, if I look at them again tonight they should be fine? They're mini-peppers, so I don't really know how big they're supposed to get. They're not like bells or anything. They were green, but now they're orange, though. I looked at ripe pepper pics online and didn't see any "corking" or stratiations.

I'll look at the tag and post the name when I get home.

ChandraNH
06-05-2011, 12:02 AM
peppers continue to ripen if left on the vine. green is usually the immature pepper (and hotter) pepper stage. they turn orange and then red the longer they go (and get sweeter). yellow/orange/red peppers are just more ripe green peppers (other than being more expensive)

OHR
06-05-2011, 12:33 AM
peppers continue to ripen if left on the vine. green is usually the immature pepper (and hotter) pepper stage. they turn orange and then red the longer they go (and get sweeter). yellow/orange/red peppers are just more ripe green peppers (other than being more expensive)
^don't you hate it when you want a red or orange pepper & it's like two dollars more for it? booo.
anyway
In another week, I'll have celery! wOOt!! This is from the plant I let winter over in my raised bed.

Denny
06-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm joining you all, I have a balcony, overlooking a busy street with lots of traffic. Poor thing looks sad and lonely, going to start with some herbs and a few outdoor plants. Been searching the net for advice. I tried this before and all my plants died, I don't have green fingers but want to try again. I have one ivy plant in my bathroom. :D

Lockolatte
06-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Yayyy Denny! Go to Lowe's and start shopping. They get all my money! :D

Denny
06-13-2011, 10:04 AM
^ Are they international?

QueenLocks
06-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Yayyy Denny! Go to Lowe's and start shopping. They get all my money! :D

Does Lowe's have organic seeds?

Denny
06-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Well I went online to Plants4presents and ordered some herbal plants, spider plant and vegetable plants. The instructions are straight forward so will take up the challenge of making my balcony look like a micro Garden of Eden :D
They are due on thursday so will tidy up the balcony and take pics.

Lockolatte
06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Does Lowe's have organic seeds?
I don't know Queen. Probably...they have everything!:p

Lockolatte
06-16-2011, 08:55 PM
......waiting for Denny's pix....................................:p

AuNappturale
06-17-2011, 07:06 AM
*sigh* Pepper plants are dead, too. I just do NOT have a green thumb. The pepper and tomato plants were thriving before I received them. I just don't know...

Just paid $2.20 for an organic heirloom tomato, so I need to be able to do this. *another sigh*

Denny
06-17-2011, 10:15 AM
......waiting for Denny's pix....................................:p

Don't hold your breath! I have a new phone, still trying to figure out how to use the camera. :p
Well the plants came yesterday so the balcony looks less empty. I have herbs (mint, rosemary and lavender),
4 vegetable plants - cucumber, aubergine, pepper and squash. And one houseplant - spider plant, poor thing looks lonely, I better buy a few more down the garden centre.
What do folks recommend for house plants?

chachadiva
06-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Just paid $2.20 for an organic heirloom tomato, so I need to be able to do this. *another sigh*
Everybody can grow something. I think you'll be fine. Do a little research on your variety of tomato to get the proper instructions for light, water, etc. You can do it!!

What do folks recommend for house plants?
Definitely ferns, peace lily, aloe vera, and prayer plants (marantas). If you want some color, try some coleus or dwarf begonias.

empowered
06-17-2011, 02:07 PM
@Denny-that spider plant is going to grow like wild flowers soon. I had one years ago and every so often I would cut off a baby and give them to family and friends. Palms are great too. The only thing is that you would need to put it somewhere in a low traffic area. You don't want people to keep brushing by them as the ends can get brown and shabby looking.

chocoli
06-17-2011, 03:33 PM
I actually started a garden of my own! Very excited about the progress, and in such a small amount of time. I have strawberries, chile pepper(?), tomatoes and Gerber daisies. The tomatoes seem to thrive the most and have gotten really tall and are sprouting flowers. There is one small chile pepper on the plant, can't wait to see how big it will get. The strawberries aren't doing so well, guess I'll wait and see what happens when it blooms again. The daisies are so dainty, they are still holding on but I wouldn't be surprised if they died before autumn. Maybe I shall post pics later...

Denny
06-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Definitely ferns, peace lily, aloe vera, and prayer plants (marantas). If you want some color, try some coleus or dwarf begonias.

Thanks Chacha, I went for an aloe vera plant that I re potted at home and a Madagascar Dragon tree. Forgot to buy plant food so will need to go back in a few weeks. I'm hooked already, even thinking of naming my babies I want to buy some more plants! lol

chachadiva
06-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Thanks Chacha, I went for an aloe vera plant that I re potted at home and a Madagascar Dragon tree. Forgot to buy plant food so will need to go back in a few weeks. I'm hooked already, even thinking of naming my babies I want to buy some more plants! lol

Good luck with the aloe vera. Last year I had two plants that looked so sickly that I planted them in the same container. Well, those two plants have now become 8 plants. I have divide and transplant them. Aloe can take over if you let it. :-))

Denny
06-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Heeelp my aloe vera plant leaves are drooping and breaking, I might have overwatered it. I put it outside to get better light and some heat.

chachadiva
06-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Aloe like to be dry. Don't water too often. I only water 2-3 times a month. If there are any brown leaves, cut those off. Leave the drooping ones. They should be okay. Less is more for aloe plants.

Denny
07-05-2011, 01:18 PM
^ Learning the hard way.:( My aloe plant is droopping and turning brown, checked the roots and got rid of the brown mushy ones. A site suggested leaving them out of the soil for a while to dry out - hope it works, its only been two weeks.

creativity
03-26-2012, 02:24 PM
This is a great learning thread

Denny
06-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Bump!

Well after my attempts at gardening last June the only ones that survived are

Rosemary - growing with no effort at all (been repotted)
Mint - same as rosemary
Spider Plant - had to repot due to size, have two now
Curry Plant - still hanging on
Parsley plant - """"""""""
Dragon Tree - repotted but I think its dying

RIP Aubergine, Squash, Hot pepper, Cucumber, Chives, Lavendar, Coriander and Aloe Vera

Denny
04-22-2013, 03:54 PM
Well the only plants that survived my nongreen fingers are the spider plant...see this is why I don't bother with gardening I have deadly fingers...:(

fuzzy_slippers
04-22-2013, 06:47 PM
I moved five plants this weekend. Something that looked boring and long-leafed like a mini spider plant. Until it shot up a stalk and little purple bell flowers. The roots were a bulb, like a green onion. I have no idea what kind of plant this is, but I have them all over the yard. I dug up five that were growing in the crack of the side of the driveway. Now they're looking all limp and busted. They were moved 3 feet. Same dirt. Same water. Same shade. I have no idea what's wrong.

OHR
04-22-2013, 09:31 PM
^that bulb sounds like that weed that resembles a small green onion. Here's some pics: 96609661....how to kill green onions (http://www.ehow.com/how_7613035_kill-wild-green-onions.html)

fuzzy_slippers
04-23-2013, 12:55 AM
^that bulb sounds like that weed that resembles a small green onion. Here's some pics: 96609661....how to kill green onions (http://www.ehow.com/how_7613035_kill-wild-green-onions.html)

That is exactly how they look on the bottom and this is how they look on top
http://www.time-worn-style.com/.a/6a0120a7716efb970b0133f2c38cca970b-500wi

Now I'm sad. I can't even keep thriving weeds alive when I try to care for them. At least I know I won't ever have to buy weed killer. I can just start watering them and watch them die.

OHR
04-23-2013, 03:28 AM
fuzzy_slippers: I'm hoping someone can shed some light for you on that flower. Those are bluebells...flowers. Do you have them everywhere?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_non-scripta

fuzzy_slippers
04-23-2013, 06:17 AM
fuzzy_slippers: I'm hoping someone can shed some light for you on that flower. Those are bluebells...flowers. Do you have them everywhere?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyacinthoides_non-scripta

Yes, i love them, but the edge my drivway on only one side. i'm tryng to gt them t grrow.