PDA

View Full Version : "Black Like Me"

MyHairChroniclesCMC
03-03-2011, 03:16 PM
I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

I've noticed every so often the issue of what is means to be "black" or "African American" pops up. Does the One Drop Rule still matter? Does it matter only if your looks belie your African heritage? Why does it make a difference if someone 1/4 Black and 3/4 wishes to identify as white, regardless of how they look?

Charlie LeDuff is a newspaper guy turned news reporter. He left Detroit as a young man, some time after the Riots. At that time he thought he was Cajun. When he returned to the city, the story of Detroit's destruction didn't sit right. So, did what any good reporter would do...he investigated. And he was blown away by what he found.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/charlie_leduff/charlie-leduff-my-detroit-story-part-three-black-like-me

Thoughts, please!

kell
03-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I think in the past people felt they had to identify as white to get by and have a better life. It was a time when black people could not go to college and live in better neighborhoods and they had to pretend. Just like when all blacks began to straighten their hair. In the past this would get them the better jobs and have acceptance. Now some things are diffferent, If someone can pass as white and they choose to identify as white now, I think its how they see themselves and how others see them, it would be their choice not a feeling of something they must do for a better life. Halle Berry considers her child black and that is her choice as a parent but when that child grows up it will be how she indetifies herself that will matter.If someone want to identify as white and they look white and their experiences are white I don't think there is anything wrong with their decision.

Denny
03-07-2011, 03:27 PM
If someone want to identify as white and they look white and their experiences are white I don't think there is anything wrong with their decision.

I agree, (and the same goes for any other ethnic heritage). The one drop rule was used to the black communities advantage by our ancestors despite its racist origins. However its about as factual as the moon is made with cheese.

IndividualME
03-13-2011, 12:58 AM
I hope this is the right forum to post this in.

I've noticed every so often the issue of what is means to be "black" or "African American" pops up. Does the One Drop Rule still matter? Does it matter only if your looks belie your African heritage? Why does it make a difference if someone 1/4 Black and 3/4 wishes to identify as white, regardless of how they look?

Charlie LeDuff is a newspaper guy turned news reporter. He left Detroit as a young man, some time after the Riots. At that time he thought he was Cajun. When he returned to the city, the story of Detroit's destruction didn't sit right. So, did what any good reporter would do...he investigated. And he was blown away by what he found.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/charlie_leduff/charlie-leduff-my-detroit-story-part-three-black-like-me

Thoughts, please!

Because if someone has to choose between something black and something not black, if they choose the not black then they are selling out or self hating. In SOME cases this is true, but not all cases. Also, we have to also see the reasoning behind their choices. Some people will probably rather identify with white because of the "advantages/opportunities." Its not only black people who do this.