PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions about my soon to be locks

NappyDude
03-08-2011, 03:14 AM
i had my hair two strand twisted(surprised by how long my hair is)
anyways for neatness she braided some of my hair at the root and twisting the rest down
will this cause future problems?

how long should i wait before my first wash?

and is it too soon to dye them?

Poetic_Blue
03-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Wash when you feel the need to, and you probably should have dyed the hair before you put in the starter locs.

Depending on the length of your hair you can use a stocking cap (I hated this method it was annoying) or if the hair is long enough you can gather it into several large bunches, braid the bunches loosely, then shampoo.
(Here are directions for the second method)
1.Dilute your shampoo in warm water and apply directly to the scalp.

2. Focus on massaging the mixture into the scalp and then squeezing it through the bunches of locs (you probably won't get much lather on the first go).

3. Rinse well, and repeat if you feel it's necessary. Make sure you rinse well to get all the shampoo out.

4. Gently squeeze out any excess water, then wrap hair in a dark towel.

After doing this step, I usually moisturize with some extra virgin olive oil after the last step.

Good luck and welcome to the fam.

NappyDude
03-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Wash when you feel the need to, and you probably should have dyed the hair before you put in the starter locs.

Depending on the length of your hair you can use a stocking cap (I hated this method it was annoying) or if the hair is long enough you can gather it into several large bunches, braid the bunches loosely, then shampoo.
(Here are directions for the second method)
1.Dilute your shampoo in warm water and apply directly to the scalp.

2. Focus on massaging the mixture into the scalp and then squeezing it through the bunches of locs (you probably won't get much lather on the first go).

3. Rinse well, and repeat if you feel it's necessary. Make sure you rinse well to get all the shampoo out.

4. Gently squeeze out any excess water, then wrap hair in a dark towel.

After doing this step, I usually moisturize with some extra virgin olive oil after the last step.

Good luck and welcome to the fam.

my hair is like neck- ear length.
AND THANK YOU FOR THE TIPS.
iam been very scared to even spray some moisturizer in them, i dont want to cause build up :[
and thank you :D

delleaux
03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Don't stress over what they will do if you did nothing to them. Poetic_blue has given you great tips. Let me add to mental portion of it. Just let them be in the sense not obsessing over them. They will not look like dreads of someone who has had them locked for a few years. Understanding the limitations of what one's hair will do during the locking process will be the determinate factor, the success or failure of their hair. By starting with good habits washing and keeping them well moisturize is a great start. As your hair matures and grows out you will notice different changes. Before you know it they will be long and strong. I have been locked over 5 years and I can tell you for the most part I am very pleased how my hair has progressed. I think as the months go by you will too. :-) Just hang in there and if you have any questions just feel free to ask. Someone on Nappturality will the have the answer for you. :-)

NeverGiveup
03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Don't stress over what they will do if you did nothing to them. Poetic_blue has given you great tips. Let me add to mental portion of it. Just let them be in the sense not obsessing over them. They will not look like dreads of someone who has had them locked for a few years. Understanding the limitations of what one's hair will do during the locking process will be the determinate factor, the success or failure of their hair. By starting with good habits washing and keeping them well moisturize is a great start. As your hair matures and grows out you will notice different changes. Before you know it they will be long and strong. I have been locked over 5 years and I can tell you for the most part I am very pleased how my hair has progressed. I think as the months go by you will too. :-) Just hang in there and if you have any questions just feel free to ask. Someone on Nappturality will the have the answer for you. :-)
This. Also try not to stress too much if they unravel a little.

bajansensation
03-15-2011, 07:55 PM
And no, the braided portion at the top of the twist will not be a problem