PDA

View Full Version : I keep damaging my ends :(

beautifulblakb
03-08-2011, 05:54 PM
Ok so my hair in its natural state (fro) looks just fine, dry on the ends every ONCE in awhle sure but other than that .. its pretty good. so I decided to straighten my hair for the first time since BC'd for the second time ( 9 months ago) and guess what? MY ends were HORRIBLE! btw I get trims every 6 months so I didn't think it would be THAT bad.. My ends were DRY and CRUNCHY LOADS of KNOTS, not to mention my ends would not straighten. I knew I would have to cut almost an inch off my hair and it REALLY made me mad... WHY you may ask? because I call myself being "gentle" with my hair. Twisting it up every night and DC every week and wearing protective styles...and YET my ends are still TERRIBLE. WHY? I it just my hair? Am Im not moisturizing enough? do I not need to have my hair out at all? I love my hair don't get me wrong but I want it healthy... I dont want to continue damage it. Im not going back to the creamy crack (EVER) but jeez I really need some advice... :( ( my natural stylist told me straightening it was the best way to know the health of your ends)

PepInMyStep
03-08-2011, 06:03 PM
Okay, I'm assuming you already know that that straightening your hair is frowned upon on this site, right? I'm not sure I should say what I'm about to say, but it could be your TECHNIQUE that made your ends APPEAR dry and rough. Lots of issues with the APPEARANCE of straightened nappy hair are because the person straightening it doesn't have a good technique. If you're interested in straightening your hair, there are lots of forums that cater to black hair and allow conversation about straightening techniques.

beautifulblakb
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
i only straighten it to clip my ends. I didn't know it was frowned upon when you are just trying to clip your ends. Just to make sure all the split/ breakage gone. Not to wear it out straight. I doubt it was the technique but that is def something to look into. thank you for your advice. :)

dessertfirst
03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Girl I am going through this, and I've been a natural for my entire life. I go through months at a time where my ends just go nuts and break left and right. It's usually when I sway from my routine and add too many new products and tools. I suggest researching every element of your haircare, your products/ technique/ styles all that. It really helps to pinpoint exactly what is going on. And I know this board is strict (...real strict) about no heat usage. But it's for a reason. Direct heat for me results in a trim, every time.

misslizz1984
03-08-2011, 06:27 PM
beautifulblakb, I totally know where your coming from. Not to bring up the topic of heat because it is frowned upon here..... But I did the same things and noticed the same results. I straightened my hair and had to cut off up to 3 inches in some areas because of knots and breakage and such. And I thought I was doing all the right things by being "gentle" and protective styling and stuff... i won't be straightening often but this time I did wake me up to the fact that I wasn't really taking as good care of my hair as i thought. Since then, I've tweaked my regimen and done a careful job of babying my ends and making sure that my hair always feels "smooth" and I've been moisturizing like crazy... It seems dry hair was the culprete (sp)...... whatever... the cause, lol lol lol!! :p Try that and see if it makes a difference. Hope that encourages you!!! :D

Oh and I wanted to add that I don't think that the technique used to straighten my hair was incorrect at all... I went to a professional hair dresser who specializes in straightening natural hair... 97% of her clients are natural and have had awesome results with her. I've seen people with years of her work.

beautifulblakb
03-08-2011, 06:32 PM
beautifulblakb, i totally know where your coming from. Not to bring up the topic of heat because it is frowned upon here..... But i did the same things and noticed the same results. I straightened my hair and had to cut off up to 3 inches in some areas because of knots and breakage and such. And i thought i was doing all the right things by being "gentle" and protective styling and stuff... I won't be straightening often but this time i did wake me up to the fact that i wasn't really taking as good care of my hair as i thought. Since then, i've tweaked my regimen and done a careful job of babying my ends and making sure that my hair always feels "smooth" and i've been moisturizing like crazy... It seems dry hair was the culprete (sp)...... Whatever... The cause, lol lol lol!! :p try that and see if it makes a difference. Hope that encourages you!!! :d

oh and i wanted to add that i don't think that the technique used to straighten my hair was incorrect at all... I went to a professional hair dresser who specializes in straightening natural hair... 97% of her clients are natural and have had awesome results with her. I've seen people with years of her work.

thank you :)

beautifulblakb
03-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Girl I am going through this, and I've been a natural for my entire life. I go through months at a time where my ends just go nuts and break left and right. It's usually when I sway from my routine and add too many new products and tools. I suggest researching every element of your haircare, your products/ technique/ styles all that. It really helps to pinpoint exactly what is going on. And I know this board is strict (...real strict) about no heat usage. But it's for a reason. Direct heat for me results in a trim, every time.

Thanx :) My hair def appreciates it

destinedfor greatness
03-08-2011, 09:05 PM
If you are only straightening your hair to trim (which is what it seems like you're saying), then maybe you should look into a different method of loosening enough to trim. I've been natural about 9 months now and I've neither straightened nor trimmed yet. However, when I do decided to trim I'm going to try a method I've heard of, which involves putting your hair in a number of twists and carefully inspecting the ends and getting rid of splits that way. Or maybe you could try banding? I'm not a stylist or an expert in any way, but IMO straightening your hair (through direct heat) would probably be one of the best ways to damage your ends, especially already damaged ends. So playing the devil's advocate, if you need to straighten to assess the health of your ends I think that benefit would still cancel out. In this case the ends (no pun intended) really don't justify the means. I would honestly try to stay away from that b/c it's probably not helping the situation.

Also, you didn't mention sealing your ends. I know that has personally been my saving grace. I had dry, scraggly ends until I started trying to keep them hydrated by moisturizing and sealing with castor oil or shea butter.

I agree with dessertfirst about analyzing your routine.

Good luck honey!!

FroOlogist
03-08-2011, 09:13 PM
You don't have to straighten your hair in order to trim your ends..you can try putting your hair in small twists and dust the ends off that way. Good luck

Ms-gg
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Yes, promoting the use of hair straightening is frowned upon.
No posting promoting straightening or relaxing.

This is my thing that I never understand, has anyone ever thought that the act of straightening caused the damaged ends? I've heard this so many times, "wearing your hair natural hides all the damage. When I straightened it then I saw 4 feet of damaged hair."

But if your hair was fine before you straightened it, what would make you believe that it was damaged but hidden? Why not believe that the heat caused the splits you saw or the breakage? I guess this is a rant more than anything but yeah....

c2shair
03-08-2011, 09:28 PM
1st stop heating up your hair, if you stick your hand in fire the skin will pucker and become damaged the same applies to your hair (heat hurts). Put your hair is small twist as advised above and trim or just dust through it (feel for ssk, or gently pull and trim splits as you see them). Adding heat isn't helping but hurting your hair.

purplesunflower
03-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I think it's okay to have your hair blowdried and trimmed every 8 weeks or so. This reveals the true health of your hair (especially your ends) and I also think it give you a better cut (versus being cut curly).

I am anti-heat any other time other than when it comes to blowdrying the hair (for trimming purposes).

I have also tried twisting the hair and cutting the ends and it's just not the same as a professional trim and shaping.

mymy
03-09-2011, 08:06 AM

This is my thing that I never understand, has anyone ever thought that the act of straightening caused the damaged ends? I've heard this so many times, "wearing your hair natural hides all the damage. When I straightened it then I saw 4 feet of damaged hair."

But if your hair was fine before you straightened it, what would make you believe that it was damaged but hidden? Why not believe that the heat caused the splits you saw or the breakage? I guess this is a rant more than anything but yeah....
I was thinking the same thing. It doesn't take much heat to damage your hair.

OP, the best way to know the health of your ends is to inspect them regularly and they don't need to be straight to do it. By doing this you will be able to see what is normal for your hair. Who knows, your every 6 month trim schedule my not be often enough for you.

I think you nailed it in your post. It sounds like you are wearing your hair out every day and retwisting it at night. You might want to consider not wearing it out as often and leaving the protective styles in longer to see if you notice a difference. For some of us, wearing our hair out all the time can be hell on our ends.

Chocolate CurlyGirl
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM

Yep, which is why I am GOOD on keeping my hair non-straightened. If I want my hair stretched, I will wear it in big twists for a couple of days. Heat can wreak havoc on hair, and is so not needed for trims.

@ purplesunflower :huh:
Blow drying hair reveals the health of your hair? I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. You can EASILY see the health of hair in it's NATURAL state. By just running my fingers up and down my strands, I can feel splits or knots and I trim them. Also, just looking at your hair in a mirror you can see if the ends are scraggly, etc... without applying heat. It's very simple.

Olahh
03-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Do not straighten your hair period. Everytime you do that you will suffer the consequences. Your hair is sensitive to heat, others probably arent as sensitive. There arent any magic potions that will repair or prevent heat damage. Those products are a gimmick.

Bklyn78
03-09-2011, 02:34 PM
We all have opinions. However, Dee the creator of this nappy utopia has put rules about heat usage, burnlaxing, textlaxing and relaxing. Please read the heat usage forums for examples for your own edification.

There are several people we trim in twists. If you are not wearing your hair straight then WHY would you need to have these even ends when you wear your hair in a textured state? There are better ways to do this. You will not see the true health of your hair in its straightened state. YES it will seems stronger because you were not straightened to begin with.

Finally, whatever you do to your hair is your business but please respect the board rules and do not PROMOTE heat usage here.

This site is FULL to the brim with helpful and healthy options for your hair. Please take the time to research.