PDA

View Full Version : Ethnic Jewelry

buttaflybaby
06-29-2004, 01:39 AM
:-P I'm posting here because I have an interest in making ethnic/unique jewelry, and I'm sure there are others as well. If there's anyone out there that knows where I can look online or if you have any patterns/instructions that you would like to share, your efforts would be greatly appreciated! Even if the jewelry is not quite ethnic but you find intriging, post away! :thumbsup

I know I can order cowrie shells and beautiful beads at http://www.stonemountaingems.com but, I have been hoping to find some cheaper since I am a discount diva...lol :blah

Forgive me if yall have posted something similar in the past, but I haven't seen a similar post. :violin

buttaflybaby
06-29-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by buttaflybaby@Jun 28 2004, 07:39 PM
:-P I'm posting here because I have an interest in making ethnic/unique jewelry, and I'm sure there are others as well. If there's anyone out there that knows where I can look online or if you have any patterns/instructions that you would like to share, your efforts would be greatly appreciated! Even if the jewelry is not quite ethnic but you find intriging, post away! :thumbsup

I know I can order cowrie shells and beautiful beads at http://www.stonemountaingems.com but, I have been hoping to find some cheaper since I am a discount diva...lol :blah

Forgive me if yall have posted something similar in the past, but I haven't seen a similar post. :violin
:doh Oooooops my bad yall!!!!

http://www.firemountaingems.com/

aquababie19
06-29-2004, 03:54 AM
well i make and sell jewerly. my link is in my sig. firemountaingems.com is pretty reasonable. i've purchased from them many times. they do have instructions for doing all kinds of pieces. you just have to substitute what you like to use. don't forget to look locally. there might be bead shops in your area. some might offer classes as well. look for books at your craft stores as well. michael's is a good place to buy supplies when you just starting out. they sell books as well.

as for designs, it jsut depends on what i'm working with and what i'm inspired to do. it's really fu nseeing something you've designed come to life.

buttaflybaby
06-29-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by aquababie19@Jun 28 2004, 09:54 PM
well i make and sell jewerly. my link is in my sig. firemountaingems.com is pretty reasonable. i've purchased from them many times. they do have instructions for doing all kinds of pieces. you just have to substitute what you like to use. don't forget to look locally. there might be bead shops in your area. some might offer classes as well. look for books at your craft stores as well. michael's is a good place to buy supplies when you just starting out. they sell books as well.

as for designs, it jsut depends on what i'm working with and what i'm inspired to do. it's really fu nseeing something you've designed come to life.
Ok, i will keep everything you said in mind. so firemountain is cool, huh? I ordered a FREE...lol.....catalog from them and i just been fantasizing about how beautiful my designs would be...lol

And I do remember clicking on your link and your designs are soooo beautiful! :app I do remember seeing those beads and things in there as well. So you just do those mentally or do you follow a pattern of some sort? :coffee

aquababie19
06-29-2004, 01:18 PM
their catalog is great! it reminds me of the jcpenney wish book :lol i've also built a great relationship with the lady that owns one of the shops i frequent here at home. she will order things if i need them. but most places are like that. if they see you coming in enough, they will accomodate you. thanks for the compliment as well.

i don't really follow a pattern. i try to first work with the colors. they i might lay a few things out on my bead board. once i start stringing, i can see where i want the design to go. that's the only pattern i follow. now i do see things and get ideas from pieces in magazines, catalog or on television. it's good for inspiration.

there are a few more ladies who make their own pieces. they will probably add some to the thread as well.

LBoogie
06-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Hello Ladies,
Is this pretty easy to do? Make your own jewelry that is.
Aquababie19, you jewelry is beautiful. I just love it. Do you sell these items or just make them for your personal use? In the last few weeks, I have been to many festivals checking out the vendors and your jewelry is by far some of the best I have seen. I didn't see anything as beautiful as what you have made at any of the african festivals that I have attended lately. Well, keep up the good work. Good luck to you too, buttaflybaby. I can't wait to see what you may come up with. Keep up the good work.
LBoogie.

LBoogie
06-29-2004, 03:06 PM
Aquababie19,
Disregard my dumb question. I see you do make and sell jewelry. I just got so excited after viewing your photos. Do you have a price list for the pieces on your website? I would love to add one of your pieces to my jewelry collection. Thanks
Lboogie

aquababie19
06-29-2004, 03:37 PM
you can pm me anytime on here lboogie. i'll probably send you one :)

buttaflybaby
06-30-2004, 02:12 AM
thanks BOOGIIIEE! Do you make any jewelry or are you interested in making any?

and AQUA, you are sooo crazy! Their catalog is REALLLY NICE! I was drooling! lol

But do you have ANY tips on what to use such as wires, ribbons, stuff like dat....

Or any patterns that you've gone by.

Oh yeah, if i find anything. I'll post the links here.

Hopefully the other ladies will come to this post as well, do you know how to contact them? I know I'm being soooo impatient...lol They'll come. *if you post it they will come...lol*

aquababie19
06-30-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by buttaflybaby@Jun 29 2004, 09:12 PM
thanks BOOGIIIEE! Do you make any jewelry or are you interested in making any?

and AQUA, you are sooo crazy! Their catalog is REALLLY NICE! I was drooling! lol

But do you have ANY tips on what to use such as wires, ribbons, stuff like dat....

Or any patterns that you've gone by.

Oh yeah, if i find anything. I'll post the links here.

Hopefully the other ladies will come to this post as well, do you know how to contact them? I know I'm being soooo impatient...lol They'll come. *if you post it they will come...lol*
i've used tigertail, memory wire, illusion, elastic, leather and stretch. i've never used any of the threads, but i will soon.

tigertail comes in different sizes. for example a .012 diameter is used for lighter beads while .024 diameter would be for heavier beads. the accuflex is good too. it is extremely flexible, but strong. if you use tigertail you'll need to use crimp beads and possibly glue.

also when you start you'll need some tools. a basic tool kit will be about $10. plus i 've purchased spilt ring pliers and a bead crimper . i plan on getting a rosary plier as well. i also tumble rocks, so i purchased a rotary drill and diamond tip bits for drilling holes in them.

you also have to buy findings. those are the lobster claws, jump rings etc.

like i stated earlier, i don't generally use a pattern.
i can't remember who turned me on to firemountaingems.com, but it was a lady here on this site. they have some great info. also look at about.com and go to their jewerly making section.

eta: there are some other posts in this section about jewerly making. set your page to look at all posts in the thread from the beginning. you should be able to find them.

blkrose
06-30-2004, 01:09 PM
a must see

www.wigjig.com

they have all the supplies you need and many beautiful project instructions.

NaturallyJade
06-30-2004, 01:17 PM
I normally purchase from Beadazzled and wigjig (http://www.wigjig.com/). I have a friend who travels a lot and has bought exquisite findings from Singapore. I have a friend that lives there so will be getting some items shipped here. I make my own patterns and usually make pieces that use thread. I usually use the brick or peyote stitch. I used to design jewelry/clothing exclusively and had them in local boutiques. That was a few years ago. I made a few purses from size 6 seed beads. It took a while to make those. I sold them for a lot. They were popular. I have not sold anything in a few years. I probably will start making them again as my daughter gets older. I will gradually expand my business to include jewelry and clothing design. I did freelance clothing and jewelry for a while several years ago.
There are a lot of fantastic books out there that can serve as aids when it comes to the different types of techniques. The other ladies gave you excellent advice. My favorite type is off loom weaving.

aquababie19
06-30-2004, 01:27 PM
oh yeah, i forgot about the wigjig :) nj shod me that site. it's great!

buttaflybaby
07-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by NaturallyJade@Jun 30 2004, 07:17 AM
I normally purchase from Beadazzled and wigjig (http://www.wigjig.com/). I have a friend who travels a lot and has bought exquisite findings from Singapore. I have a friend that lives there so will be getting some items shipped here. I make my own patterns and usually make pieces that use thread. I usually use the brick or peyote stitch. I used to design jewelry/clothing exclusively and had them in local boutiques. That was a few years ago. I made a few purses from size 6 seed beads. It took a while to make those. I sold them for a lot. They were popular. I have not sold anything in a few years. I probably will start making them again as my daughter gets older. I will gradually expand my business to include jewelry and clothing design. I did freelance clothing and jewelry for a while several years ago.
There are a lot of fantastic books out there that can serve as aids when it comes to the different types of techniques. The other ladies gave you excellent advice. My favorite type is off loom weaving.
:shocked wow! I'm so jelly! that's not right! Gorsh I wish i had a friend in Singapore or somewhere exotic that would send me stuff...lol :violin

I would be so gratefullllllllll if you had the time to give a sista some tips! I'm highly interested in starting my own clothing line which includes jewelry as well. I could give you my email addy or whatever if that's cool.

blkrose
07-02-2004, 01:07 PM
buttaflybaby - i found another one

http://www.shipwreckbeads.com/

aquababie19
07-02-2004, 04:06 PM
oh my! another site to check out :)

aquababie19
07-02-2004, 08:57 PM
ok i've been comparing prices between firemountain and shipwrecked. i think i still am loving firemountaingems a little more. maybe the site doesn't have eveything that's in the catalog. i've compared prices and firemoutaingems seems to have better prices.

plus i ordered some stuff today from firemountaingems. i called to see if i could add some more items. my order has already been shipped out ! :)