PDA

View Full Version : Cactus? Seaweed? Aloe?

Dreamyb
06-30-2004, 12:05 AM
peace folks

i attended a workshop this past weekend and there was some info presented on natural products and their many uses. the presenter (who was rockin' major locs) discussed using cactus to cleanse her hair as well as using seaweed for it's jelly like components. i just jotted down the info and then thought i would ask the experts over here.

so, is it possible to cleanse locs with cactus as well as seaweed? she also mentioned aloe being a nice cleanser but i was a bit unsure of this. all of this was mentioned because she stated that shampoo can be drying and the use of castille soap in her opinion was too harsh.

thanks in advance for the info

db

nottyfreedom
06-30-2004, 01:29 AM
wow. i had no idea. im jotting down the notes now. lol.
hope somebody has some word to offer.

notty

Dreamyb
06-30-2004, 12:09 PM
@notty

wow is right :) . she explained that you could chop up the leaf and puree in a blender. it sounds great but then i'm wondering how much of the plant needs to be utilized and whether the cleansing effect will be the same.

now that i think about it. i know of this one sis who at once washed her hair with a particular flower she found around her house. i think i'll ask her about this as well.

cbunny44
06-30-2004, 09:55 PM
I know that growing up in Jamaica, my mother sometimes use the aloe vera plant in to wash or condition our hair. She just cut a piece off the main plant, and opened it up and kind of rubbed it in our hair. I guess the puree would allow a better application. Just be careful of the bitter taste on your hands, mouth etc. if you use the actual aloe vera versus the store bought one :doh . The cactus plant is sometimes used more as a conditioner, and applied the same way. Good luck finding it here though.

Dreamyb
07-01-2004, 03:22 AM
thanks cbunny :)

i have an aloe plant already and there shouldn't be a problem in me finding a cactus plant in my area. hmmm, this should be interesting.