PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Keratin Treatment

meshamoo
03-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Hello ladies, I am a newbie and have had my hair natural about 3 and a half years but always have it cornrowed. I want to start wearing it out and was thinking about getting the Brazilian Keratin treatment done. What do yall think about that process and is it damaging to your hair?

Cerendipity
03-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi Meshamoo, Welcome to Nappturality, here we dont discuss straightening, relaxing or altering your texture with chemicals

Is there something you would like to do to your hair that you feel you cant do without chemicals?

Princess Pamplemousse
03-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Do a search with your thread title as the key words. There's many a (locked) thread re: brazilian keratin.

You don't need any kind of treatment to wear your hair out. If you do end up getting the BKT your hair won't be natural and we won't be able to give you any advice about the situation. Good luck.

NappyNelle
03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Welcome Meshamoo!

As Cerendipity said, we do not alter our hair texture with chemicals here. The BKT can be very damaging to your kinks and coils. Please see these threads for more info:
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139267&highlight=brazilian+keratin+treatment
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133799&highlight=brazilian+keratin+treatment
http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2353098#post2353098

Some ways to wear your hair out include afro's, braid outs, twist outs, roller sets, and bantu-knot outs. What kind of look are you trying to achieve?

MyHairChroniclesCMC
03-30-2011, 08:48 PM
Don't do it...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKPuh0vb1a8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Akomas_Angel
03-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi Welcome to NP sis!

I would also like to add that you should look in our Hair Chat thread and the Styles Workshop. There are tons of styles that you can do with your hair as is that don't involve canerows (cornrows).

MyHairChroniclesCMC
03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Don't do it...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zKPuh0vb1a8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ok, I don't know why the video won't embed but here's the gist.

I was transitioning way back in the beginning of '09 and I heard of the BKT. I did debate this with myself for months (I was done with the CC, but still wanted to wear my hair straight at that time) and I settled on getting the treatment. My hair dresser assured me that the treatment was not a relaxer and it would wash out and everything would be fine. She told me the stuff did not have formaldehyde, which was my main concern.

Well, after two treatments, my hair never reverted. I also found out the product DID have formaldehyde. I was very upset and was left to transition with three very distinct textures.

I was mad because I didn't want my kinks completely gone, but they were. I realized there was no magic bullet...I needed to leave all the mess alone, no matter how wonderful it seemed.

chocolynne
03-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Don't believe that it's anything other than a relaxer followed by using formaldehyde to straighten the hair out with super high heat. It is everything that is not allowed for promotion on Nappturality. But I did want to tell you the truth about it because I was just discussing it last week in Portuguese with a Brazilian hairstylist I know - no I wasn't sitting in a salon trying to get one. In Brazil it's called a "Progressiva" which means Progressive. That alone is troubling, no? But afro-textured hair is put through an additional step of first relaxing, something they don't do for non-kinky hair. Then the chemicals are added, mainly consisting of coating the hair with formaldehyde and other products, many designed to hide the smell of the formaldehyde. It is blow-dried under super high heat until any the hair is shiny straight. And it is supposed to stay that way for 3 months or so but as you read from the prior post, all bets are off as to what your hair will do afterwards.

So between the heat, the relaxer and the opportunity to breathe formaldehyde... I think this would be a good time to just say "NO" and shut the thread.

OHR
03-30-2011, 09:17 PM
^^^Goodness, gracious!

MyHairChroniclesCMC
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
In Brazil it's called a "Progressivo" which means Progress. That alone is troubling, no?

Isn't it? Even though I have a ways to go in my mental transition...I can't believe just two years ago I was fully subscribed to this BS. :(

siennamoonshine
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM
There is confusion about the treatment. It is touted as not containing formaldehyde, but independent studies have revealed that this is false. Any treatment that a stylist has to wear a mask for is suspect, I'd think.

chocolynne
03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
The woman I talked to went to beauty school in Brazil recently and came over to Holland to do hair and she sometimes babysits for me. I was shocked when she told me that hair like mine would first be relaxed because nobody tells you that. And then the part about the formaldehyde... it's still in there but because they use less than before, it wasn't strong enough to really straighten kinky hair and that's why there's the need for the relaxer. She says that chocolate is the best fragrance for masking the strong odor. I got into this conversation with her because I knew that she was on her way out to do a couple of heads so I just asked her quite frankly exactly what it is that she does. She knows that I have no intention of doing any of that mess to my hair so she gave me the real scoop on the chemical process all the while trying to reassure me that it really wasn't that bad for her own health to be around that mess. "I just open all the windows and doors, turn on some fans, and it's not too bad." I think she's really messing up her lungs, she's just 24 years old.

meshamoo
03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Wow thanks ladies, I was just thinking about the option. Really I want to find ways to wear my hair out but cute. I guess maybe my real problem is I don't know my options. I do like the two strand twist option. I guess the BKT answer is no, I guess that I thought it was no like a relaxer but it seems that it is.

Princess Pamplemousse
03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
It's all good meshamoo! You can try: twist outs, band-outs, rod-sets, wash n go's, picked out fros (basically, combing out a twist-out for me), puffs, bantu knot-outs etc etc. There's an endless list of styles you can wear without braiding or straightening your hair.

Try youtubing some of those styles get an idea of how they look/how to manipulate your hair. And do an NP search for pics of some examples from members. Ladies here have awesome hair :D

nappyeditor
03-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow thanks ladies, I was just thinking about the option. Really I want to find ways to wear my hair out but cute. I guess maybe my real problem is I don't know my options. I do like the two strand twist option. I guess the BKT answer is no, I guess that I thought it was no like a relaxer but it seems that it is.

Oh, you realllly..... need to check out the how are you wearing your hair today thread. If you do a search, you can look through some old ones, and there are so many styles, you would be shocked. Also look through the hairstyles workshop (is it still called that!) forum.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140471

skittles04
03-30-2011, 10:55 PM
There is confusion about the treatment. It is touted as not containing formaldehyde, but independent studies have revealed that this is false. Any treatment that a stylist has to wear a mask for is suspect, I'd think.

Some of the newer ones use a formaldehyde facsimile so that they can claim to be formaldehyde free, but the chemical is often in the same family and does the about the same amount of damage.

It's kinda like how some perms claim to be no lye and just swapped the NaOH for CaOH. The advertisements say that this type is supposed to be gentler and better for your hair, but they are actually both pretty strong bases.

meshamoo
03-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Thanks so much ladies, I am really trying to embrace my hair. I never thought going natural would be such an emotional thing as well. I truly appreciate your advice and will definitely check out the photos and options. I am still learning all the lingo and stuff as well. Thanks so much and I will probably be back asking for more help.

Batyah
03-31-2011, 02:36 AM
Welcome to NP Meshamoo! :)