PDA

View Full Version : How to wash W/O retwisting??? Help!

erikanatural22
04-15-2011, 06:38 PM
I love washing my locs and I need to do it often because I have a terrible SD issue. The only thing is I end up having to retwist my roots because they unravel and the hair shrinks up. I have tried the rubberband method but m hair never gets clean that way since I can't really get the shampoo into the roots completely. Do any of you know how I can wahs my hair thoroughly without having to retwist.

btw: I am 10* months in so not completely locked.

http://emptylocket03.blogspot.com

Claire76
04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Have you thought about latching your hair? When I latched I didn't worry about unraveling.

chachadiva
04-15-2011, 06:48 PM
This is going to sound radical but why not just wash your hair as often as you need and then...not retwist. You can try all types of tricks but why not just get used to untwisted roots.

Retwisting is not required after washing. It's a choice.

Free2Love
04-15-2011, 06:54 PM
I work out everyday, so I rinse everday and wash 2x a week. I also have mild psoriasis (sp?) so washing regularly is a must. Just like Chacha said, retwisting is not necessary each time you wash, and really, twisting frequently can cause thinned roots and breakage. You are going to have to either look into latching like previously suggested, or embrace those luscious roots!

erikanatural22
04-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Claire and free2love, thanks for your positive and mature responses :) I have thought about latching. I will look into it because i've heard some bad stories about it.

Yams
04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
I think there was another thread on here recently that spoke about this.

You could try flatwisting the roots, or you could two strand twist or braid your locs to mask the roots. I've done this a few times...usually two strand twists but the last time I braided. Either way, I usually leave it in the twists/braids for a day, a week or whatever, then separate which yields a braid or twist out effect on the roots and locs. Sometimes though with all the effort I put into TSTing I feel I may as well have just retwisted but it works for me, and I like the effect.

Yams
04-15-2011, 07:00 PM
http://nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140496

this is the thread I was talking about...

erikanatural22
04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Thank you, Yams!

NaturalGoddess11
04-21-2011, 05:32 AM
yes flattwist/cornrow/bantu knots will do the trick. Just took down my flattwist