PDA

View Full Version : Protective Challenge for Our Natural Daughters Part II

AksanaAnais
05-29-2011, 09:41 PM
For a link to the original thread, click here (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132494).

I haven't posted in a while. My daughter is now 26 months old. Her hair is growing in on the back and sides...slowly but surely. I'm finding that her hair likes lighter products than my own hair. Her edges are also extremely hard to tame. I finally learned how to bead her hair last month and I love it! The only downside is finding beads all over the house...not to mention stepping on them. But never mind that...I'm working on my cornrowing skills and have seen a big improvement. I think I will alternate between boxed twists with beads and cornrows with beads until her hair grows out.

I've been neglecting both of our heads of hair as of late so I just recently purchased a large haul of products from Enso Naturals to help take care of our hair. Hopefully these can tame my kinks and manage her coils.

How is it going with everyone else? How are your daughters?

Lisapics
06-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I've started using more protective styles for my little girls since I've been reading a lot and learning a lot about taking care of natural hair. I've been doing the two strand twists and braids with beads and they are loving it!!!

hbac_goddess
06-05-2011, 01:52 PM
my 6yo hates her natural hair and always asks me to straighten it. i havent did twists in a longtime i should. my 4yo has a different texture and its thinner in back. i did flat twists but they are a hot mess. and so is my boys afro :(

mscocobrwn
06-08-2011, 02:33 AM
Hey ladies, I was just coming on to reopen this challenge. I been using the same regimen. I changed her shampoo to just for me hair milk (I hope I mentioned it before) and I've been using vitamin E oil, and castor oil on her edges. Her hair is very dry but Im working on it. My spritz has been doing good and Im loving the Vitamin E oil. I even use it in my hair

mscocobrwn
06-08-2011, 02:35 AM
[QUOTE=Evallusion;2531222]For a link to the original thread, click here (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132494).

I finally learned how to bead her hair last month and I love it! The only downside is finding beads all over the house...not to mention stepping on them. But never mind that...

Im sooooo glad Im not the only one with this problem LOL Those beads hurt!

mscocobrwn
06-08-2011, 02:37 AM
Recently I've been keeping her hair in two strands. Its easier to put in and a breeze to take out.

Lisapics
06-12-2011, 01:19 PM
[QUOTE=Evallusion;2531222]For a link to the original thread, click here (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132494).

I finally learned how to bead her hair last month and I love it! The only downside is finding beads all over the house...not to mention stepping on them. But never mind that...

Im sooooo glad Im not the only one with this problem LOL Those beads hurt!

Congrats on learning to bead your daughter's hair. She will love it! I know about stepping on the beads and that really hurts. What I try to do to keep from finding them all over the house is keep them in zip lock bags (separated by color). Then I keep the bags in "The Hair Bow Box". I also have all of the hair bows in bags separated by color as well. This just makes it easier to pick out the right hair bow for their outfit and it also helps keeps things from becoming a big tangled mess.

mscocobrwn
06-17-2011, 08:34 PM
How are you ladies doing out there?

empowered
07-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I would like to join this challenge. My daughter is 2yrs, she'll be 3yrs in a couple of months. Her hair didn't start to grow until her 2nd birthday. I have always kept it in plaits or flat twist as soon as I was able to grip it. She's had 2 others to do her hair besides me, unfortunately, it caused breakage in the front (cornrows were too tight). This happened months ago and since then I just stuck with my regimen which included; shampooing and conditioning every 2 weeks, mixing a daily moisturizer of jojoba and shea butter, and keeping it in plaits.

panafrican
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
I'd like to join too. My daughter will be 2 next month. Her hair is also just starting to really come along on the sides and back, but the rest is looking great. I only co-wash once a week, just 'cos she fights so much I'm never sure I got all the product out and I don't want to leave any shampoo in. I use KC knot today or Nature's gate fruit blend conditioner as a leave in, and tst w/ shea butter/coconut oil. My big problem is keeping it looking neat - she hates to sleep with her hair covered and is constantly playing in her hair!

Rufigirl
07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
my DD hair has grown so much, i do not have a specific goal, but she just wand to have a pony, so i guess that will be apl, i took out her cornrows last week after 3 months, at the back its shoulder length and the sides are collar more or less the same size as mine have not yet measured it.

cutting my sons locks this afternoon restarting them, in a few months, everyone except him are not happy with me but hey, it is not my decision he wants a mohawk and he is finally getting it

Rufigirl
07-21-2011, 09:14 AM
did a length test for DD last night and she is shoulder length, she is loving the hair, i guess she has not seen her hair i a long time

mscocobrwn
08-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Hello ladies, havent posted in a while. How is everyone doing? I began adding wild growth hair oil to my daughter's hair regimen and her hair loves it. I will admit that it does have a slight odor so I only use it at night and do scalp massages with it so by the time the morning come the smell has faded. Nevertheless, it worked well with growing her hair, especially the back. Im in the search for a good moisturizer. I decided to give the shea moisture line a try to see the results. I have heard lots of good things about these products. I will keep you updated. Hope all is well. Please update us about your regimens

panafrican
08-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Still using the same regimen except now using my own twist on the kimmaytube conditioner instead of plain KC knot today. Also still keeping her in twists all the time. Her hair's growing like crazy and looks beautiful!

mscocobrwn
08-15-2011, 09:06 PM
Im glad to hear that panafrican. Please continue to keep us updated.

Have you ladies tried any new products?

mscocobrwn
09-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Hello ladies, how is everyone? Lately, I have been using the sheamoisture curl enhancing smoothie for moisture for my daughter. Its been working wonderfully. Have you ladies tried this product? I wanna try the bee mines products but I want to finish the smoothie first before moving on. Im trying to break my habit of being a product junkie lol.

ChelWren
09-30-2011, 10:48 PM
My daughter's hair is normally in braids, twists, or a few ponytails with the length braided. She has tailbone length hair.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-P_qjHbeEWFo/ToZGr15kxVI/AAAAAAAAAFg/Ptm3y6H-Qz8/s512/1317117545770.jpg

mscocobrwn
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM
@ Cee, Wow her hair is gorgeous, love the curls and the length. Great job Mom! Care to share any tips?

NappilyT
10-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I've been MIA for a long time. But my daughter has still been in protective styles the entire time. She and I have been keeping her hair in box braids styled in simple updos, or box braids with cornrows on top, and the latest were cornrows with a twisted bun on the back (only because we didn't have time to redo all the box braids back there but they were freshly washed and had been in for over 3 weeks so I wanted to remove them).
Tried a creamy hairdress in her hair and ended up having to do an ACV rinse to get the buildup out her next wash day. Icky! So we've stuck to leave-in conditioners and a water/oil/braid spray spritz to do her styling since then. We spray with the spritz followed by oil anytime she looks like she may be getting a little dull/dry.

mscocobrwn
10-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Welcome back Nappily, Sounds great! What do you use in your water oil braid spray?

NappilyT
10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks mscoco. =) I normally use water, coconut oil (about half of the amount of water I use), and I pour in a little African Pride Braid Spray (olive oil moisturizing formula). For now we are just keeping it simple. One day we may venture out or grab some vegetable glycerin to add to this mix.

ChelWren
10-08-2011, 07:40 AM
@ Cee, Wow her hair is gorgeous, love the curls and the length. Great job Mom! Care to share any tips?

Thank you. :) The only tips I have is to wash when your daughter's hair gets dirty, moisturize, and keep in protective styles. I honestly don't do much. I use Kinky Curly Come Clean and Kinky Curly Knot Today on my daughter's hair and her hair loves Africa's Best Herbal Oil.

naturalmom11
10-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi my 16mth old baby girl has good length of hair in the front and short tight curls in the back of her head. What can I use on her hair so that it will be moisturized and catch up with the front of her hair?

ChelWren
10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Welcome naturalmom11! In my opinion you should try different products to see what your daughter's hair likes. Everyone is different and the same products that work for my daughter may not work for your daughter. Also, it sounds like she has two textures so the back may be the same length as the front, your daughter just has a lot of shrinkage. The back of my hair shrinks more than the front of my hair because I have two different textures.

Good luck! Definitely search the boards, there is a plethora of information.

NappilyT
10-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Shared this in the braid challenge, but suppose I should share it here since my daughter is a part of this. These are the braids we did for her field trip day last night. There are two fringe braids but you can't see them wel from this angle. This is the pose she came up with and it showcased her style well so I snapped. lol Her hair is growing well.

http://images116.fotki.com/v716/photos/5/1355475/9636751/diva102711-vi.jpg

mscocobrwn
11-27-2011, 07:52 PM
Glad to see everyone is doing great. @NappilyT I love that braid pattern. Lately when I braid my daughter's hair the ends of it have like a lil afro. I braid down as far I can. Any advice?

NappilyT
11-28-2011, 12:29 AM
^^Thanks. For her ends, once I braid down as far as I can I begin to twist. I can usually twist much further than if I had only braided. Hopefully that will help. Let me know. =)

NappilyT
11-28-2011, 12:32 AM
And an update: My daughter's hair is past due for a washing but we've had a hectic schedule this past week. We will be shampooing and conditioning tomorrow after school. She's been wearing multiple hair buns (2-3). Not sure what we'll do this week but I hope to have time for braids, if not, then twists would be great.