PDA

View Full Version : Amy Winehouse

NikNak
07-05-2004, 09:38 PM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DIXN7.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anyone ever heard of her? Just got through listening to her cd that one of my friends gave to me. She's a British blue-eyed soul artist. At first listen, her voice sounds a lot like Nelly Furtardo, but with a Julie Dexter type of vibe. She's just 19, but she sings like she has an old soul. Her debut album, Frank, is almost a year old but this is my first time hearing of her. It's worth the purchase if you'd like to hear something new. You can listen to some samples from her album at her website: Amy Winehouse (http://www.amywinehouse.com/amy.html)

It's listed as a British import cd online, but you can find it at any Tower Records in your city, any music store that sells imports or order it from Amazon.com. Or, for those of you who *cough cough* download *cough cough*, here's a tracklisting for the cd:

1. Stronger Than Me (Jazz Intro)
2. You Send Me Flying (Cherry)
3. Know You Now
4. F**k Me Pumps
5. I Heard Love Is Blind
6. Moody's Mood For Love (Teo Licks)
7. (There Is) No Greater Love
8. In My Bed
9. Take The Box
10. October Song
11. What It Is About Men
12. Help Yourself
13. Amy Amy Amy (Outro)

Dreamyb
07-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by NikNak@Jul 5 2004, 04:38 PM
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B0000DIXN7.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Or, for those of you who *cough cough* download *cough cough*, here's a tracklisting for the cd:

1. Stronger Than Me (Jazz Intro)
2. You Send Me Flying (Cherry)
3. Know You Now
4. F**k Me Pumps
5. I Heard Love Is Blind
6. Moody's Mood For Love (Teo Licks)
7. (There Is) No Greater Love
8. In My Bed
9. Take The Box
10. October Song
11. What It Is About Men
12. Help Yourself
13. Amy Amy Amy (Outro)
:lol

i'll be checking for her soon

thanks

cuteasabee
07-05-2004, 10:53 PM
I live in London so I've heard alot of her stuff and I have to say she is da BOMB.

:offtopic my girl has a mouth on her! She's not afarid to say what she thinks and has had a few :fight with some British pop bands, but I think she has just cause, as she talks in interviews about most people being around for the money and not the music etc which I think is fab, as there aren't alot of soul musicans who are about the music.

But back to Amy her music is unquie(sp?) I would denfintly recomend it! :thumbsup

kemmie
07-06-2004, 04:11 AM
I adore Amy Winehouse. Her cd was on non-stop rotation when I first got it. Tried to hip my friends to her but I'm not sure they took a listen.

I have to say, tho... not to push people away from her... but, her voice is *very* distinct. Billie Holiday, Nelly Furtado kind of distinct. Her music is kind of jazz/r&b-ish. You just don't hear her kind of stuff of the radio.

I Heard Love is Blind is hilarious! But my song is, without a doubt, In My Bed.

NikNak
07-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Take The Box is my favorite cut from her cd. I also like that she penned words to Grover Washington Jr.'s Mr. Magic, which is one of 2 bonus tracks on the cd.

kemmie
07-06-2004, 05:18 AM
BBCi Collective (http://cgi.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A1138033)

You can watch selected tracks performed by Amy, including Take The Box.

What the heck am I still doin' up? :tiptoe

NikNak
07-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Kemmie, thanks for posting that link. I already love her cd, but after seeing clips of her acoustic performace, I'd pay to see her live if she comes to a city near me in the states.

rkj223
07-06-2004, 02:20 PM
I've had this cd for a while now...and by the time it officially comes out here..I'll be tired of it. (But because I'm a conscientious bootlegger...I shall still purchase. *strikes b-bootlegger stance*)

I love it. I have some other songs by her.

I wonder what the hold up is in releasing it here.

And if they put some bad rapper on "Stronger Than Me" for the US release...well....I'll be upset.

Maybe the US release will have some different songs. Hope so...it's so widely bootlegged in it's current version.

kemmie
07-07-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by rkj223@Jul 6 2004, 02:20 PM
I love it. I have some other songs by her.

I wonder what the hold up is in releasing it here.

And if they put some bad rapper on "Stronger Than Me" for the US release...well....I'll be upset.

Maybe the US release will have some different songs. Hope so...it's so widely bootlegged in it's current version.
What? :-P

You have OTHER songs by her? As in NOT in the *import* version of the cd... not listed in the post above [aside form Mr. Magic and ??? bonus tracks]????

Yes? You MUST share...:duck umm... :blab.... please? Pretty please... Ma'am.

Yeah. No guest rapper. That'a a no-no.

The hold-up is probably they don't know how to market her. She's not your run-of-the-mill singer with poster-babe looks. She doesn't sing buggle-gum pop or faux punk rock.

Besides, she's a 19 year old talking about her relationship with a guy 7 years older than her when she was what? 16/17/18? And the mouth on her?... pshhhh! :duck

rkj223
07-07-2004, 02:01 PM
Other songs by Ms. Winehouse in my digital posession:

Stronger Than Me (Curtis Lynch Remix)
Stronger Than Me (Harmonic Remix)
Do Me good
Fools Gold
I Heard Love Is Blind (live)
Round Midnight
Stronger Than Me (Live)
Take The Box (Live)
Take The Box (Seiji's Remix)

floetry22
07-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Ok, I like this CD.. I guess a sista will have to move to the UK just to hear some good music!! She sounds like Nelly Furtado & Ms. Dynomite to me.

:offtopic Where's Ms. Dynomite...inquiring minds want to know.

NikNak
07-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Just going by the lyrical content of her cd, it sounds like it picks up where The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill left off. Her writing styles are very similar to Lauryn's debut album.

And yeah, I can see how it would be dificult to market her to the US. Like I said before, she sounds like an old soul, but hell, folks bought Norah Jones' cd and she too had that mature sounding voice.

aquababie19
07-07-2004, 09:37 PM
i might have to check this chic out....

kemmie
07-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by rkj223@Jul 7 2004, 02:01 PM
Other songs by Ms. Winehouse in my digital posession:

Stronger Than Me (Curtis Lynch Remix)
Stronger Than Me (Harmonic Remix)
Do Me good
Fools Gold
I Heard Love Is Blind (live)
Round Midnight
Stronger Than Me (Live)
Take The Box (Live)
Take The Box (Seiji's Remix)
:shocked

Must.Not.Download.Kaaza.

kemmie
08-21-2006, 10:34 AM
(I did download some of those songs :blush: )

First Esthero now Amy Winehouse... I just keep diggin' for artists.

Well, the last time someone posted on this thread was prolly the last time amywinehouse.co.uk (http://www.amywinehouse.co.uk) was updated.

BUT! It seems there's finally some action going on on that website. It's been updated/purged of all content except for a 4 line tease telling us that a new single is coming out "this Summer" and the album in autumn. Umm, summer's almost over.

Anyways, following a link I found on myspace.com/amywinehouse (http://www.myspace.com/amywinehouse) I found this little forum (http://z3.invisionfree.com/Amy_Winehouse_Online/index.php?act=idx) dedicated to her. Here's a link to the thread with snippets of two unreleased songs, Rehab and Wake Up Alone (http://z3.invisionfree.com/Amy_Winehouse_Online/index.php?showtopic=10)... Too soon to comment on anything.

Also, it seems like the woman has been going through some stuff (Rehab??) so... those who pray, pray.

The All-Mighty YouTube - Amy Winehouse (http://youtube.com/group/amywinehouse)

Seems she's playing some gigs in the UK (http://www.seetickets.com/see/event.asp?e%7Cartist=AMY+WINEHOUSE&resultsperpage=20&filler1=see).

Enjoy. And here's hoping this thread gets lively again.

Bejewelle
08-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Yeh i'd recommend Amy Winehouse, I think she's pretty good. And not a pop muppet.

ashrob123
08-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the recommendation! I love her. She does sound a bit like Billie Holiday (one of my personal favorites), but she also sounds a little like N'Dambi on her second album. Either way, I'm looking forward to the new one and from what I hear that will be in October.

Ananse
08-27-2006, 04:45 PM
I love Amy's music and will be eagerly anticipating her forthcoming album. I do hope though that she sorts out her drastic weight loss which is too extreme as can be seen below.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/07/winehouse270706_228x310.jpg

Ketchup
08-28-2006, 01:45 AM
:huh:

I hope she isnt caving into media pressure!

missdugie
08-30-2006, 12:36 PM
i haven't heard her whole album but i did hear her version of moody's mood for love i love that song! for some reason i heard her voice and thought she'd be an old jamaican lady.

honeychild
11-06-2006, 09:10 PM
LOL @ the old jamaican lady comment :lol:

i just heard of this artist today and i am SOLD. the hubster showed me her video for 'rehab' on youtube... i am crying over the production; it sounds like old motown progressions... way funky

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LD5sahXoj0U

NikNak
11-06-2006, 09:14 PM
I was listening to her latest cd, Back To Black, earlier tonight.

Sweetwhispers
11-07-2006, 08:18 AM
i love rehab i keep saying in my head *no!no, no!*lol
i'm laughing at the old jamaican woman comment too :lol:
I really like her rendition of the shirelles- will you still love me (sp)
she is soo skinny now though

NaturaLei
11-13-2006, 03:31 AM
Yes. A lot of people don't know about Amy Winehouse, but the girl can "SANG". Help Yourself and F*** Me Pumps are my favorite 2 songs by her.

afromation
02-10-2007, 09:45 PM
I love her cover of "Valerie":

http://zeonmusic.blogspot.com/2007/01/amy-...s-acoustic.html (http://zeonmusic.blogspot.com/2007/01/amy-winehouse-live-covers-acoustic.html)

speakeasy
02-11-2007, 02:32 PM
I love Amy Winehouse. "Frank" and "Back to Black" are on constant rotation!!!!

:wub:

That is all.

Natural Kinks
02-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Everytime that I listen to my iPod I start off with her music. LOVE HER!

ZenDiva
02-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Wow, I looove her voice.... :wub: Where is the best place to pick up her album(s) Itunes, Amazon.... help a sista out y'all. :) ..

TIA :wub:

Sekhmet
02-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Wow, I looove her voice.... :wub: Where is the best place to pick up her album(s) Itunes, Amazon.... help a sista out y'all. :) ..
TIA :wub:[/b]
Not iTunes. They only have singles and a couple of videos. Your best best is Amazon though it's still going to be at import prices. I got Frank from Tower Records before they went out of business. Back to Black will be released stateside next month if you don't want to pay import price.

ZenDiva
02-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks for replying, Sekhmet... :wub:

I'll head on over to Amazon & check out the pickings..

Sekhmet
02-11-2007, 09:55 PM
Thanks for replying, Sekhmet... :wub:

I'll head on over to Amazon & check out the pickings..[/b]
I tried to do something through NP, but it didn't work. Check your PM box for a link. ;)

Poetic_Butterfly
02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
I will have to check her out. It seems like she has a good vibe with her musical style.

Peace,
Rasta

bola
02-14-2007, 08:06 PM
i aint trying hate on amy,she's doing her thing and holding it down for the brits but....comparisions to lauryn hill tipped me over the edge

in the uk we compared ms dynamite to lauryrn hill and with good goood reason, i bet even amy wouldm not like to be comapred to lauryn hill!

rant over

peace

Sekhmet
03-14-2007, 10:30 PM
bump

LuvJones
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
I love her voice and Rehab does sound like old motown. She does remind me of Ms. Dynamite :wub:

meccadon
03-15-2007, 11:33 AM
<strike>She is hot on this Ghostface track on his More Fish album.</strike>

Correction, he is hot on her song "You Know I&#39;m No Good" which is already hot on it&#39;s on.

missCONGENIALity
03-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I am loving Amy Winehouse. As soon as I get my pay check I am going to buy her cd, Lily Allen, and Esthero.

Kadeepoo
03-15-2007, 02:05 PM
my bf recently gave me her Back to Black album for my birthday. i had never heard of her before then and all i can say is that she has a new fan. i&#39;m gonna order her other albums as well. love her voice.

jenaee
03-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I just discovered her today. Listened to Back to Black, Rehab, and Tears dry on their own. She is FIYA!! Buying her CD today!

missCONGENIALity
03-17-2007, 06:24 PM
I think I saw a commercial that said her cd is 7.95 right now at Target.

amberdcox
03-17-2007, 06:31 PM
I got her newest CD in December as a gift and I think I listened to it daily for about 3 weeks. If you like her, check out Esthero, Wikked Lil Girls.

LuvJones
03-18-2007, 09:37 AM
I&#39;m officially in LURVE with her voice.

Found her on Youtube and MySpace.

Her version of "Valerie" is great.

It is painful to watch her sing though. Kind of reminds me Joe Cocker(sp?)

notroz2u
03-19-2007, 06:50 AM
I saw a video of hers a few weeks ago and I said I will check her out
Best Buy advertised it at $7.99 but now they are advertising it at $9.99. I think the $7.99 was a mistake
I am going to buy it today

I just looked at the dates on some of these posts, this cd has been out since 2004?

This reminds me of when I was trying to buy Corrine Baily Rae&#39;s cd and it was so hard to find
But I have seen Amy&#39;s cd though

notroz2u
03-26-2007, 10:10 AM
I have just one complaint about Amy&#39;s Back to Black <_<

Her songs are too short, I am really feeling this album
I am trying to see if I can find a copy of Frank

luvlylibra22
03-26-2007, 08:18 PM
I am listening to Back to Black now *sings, "love is a losing game"*. I love every single song on it. This is my new favorite c.d.!

jaimuziq
12-16-2007, 12:17 PM
Okay, I know I&#39;m late but I just bought "Frank" from Best Buy and I think I like it better than "Back to Black". ^_^

PrincessDrRe
12-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I love Amy&#39;s music and will be eagerly anticipating her forthcoming album. I do hope though that she sorts out her drastic weight loss which is too extreme as can be seen below.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2006/07/winehouse270706_228x310.jpg
[/b]
http://specialfarm.net/images/dave_chappelle.jpg
"Cocaine is a hellof a drug."
Rick James/Dave Chappelle

LaMonica
12-16-2007, 01:28 PM
Okay, I know I&#39;m late but I just bought "Frank" from Best Buy and I think I like it better than "Back to Black". ^_^
[/b]

I absolutely LUV "F*ck Me Pumps"...This po child really need to get it together.

"F*ck Me Pumps" Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXddDLvQx0)

JeanBean
12-16-2007, 02:01 PM
She does need to get it together. Unlike Britney Spears she has talent, and shes wasting it. Did anyone see that video of her onstage pulling something out her beehive, than snorting it, in front of thousands?

jaimuziq
12-16-2007, 08:03 PM
She does need to get it together. Unlike Britney Spears she has talent, and shes wasting it. Did anyone see that video of her onstage pulling something out her beehive, than snorting it, in front of thousands?
[/b]

Oh hell nawwwwwwwww!!!! Shame on it all. :(

blumoonbabe
12-16-2007, 10:23 PM
http://specialfarm.net/images/dave_chappelle.jpg
"Cocaine is a hellof a drug."
Rick James/Dave Chappelle
[/b]

http://hotimg3.fotki.com/p/a/24_98/155_249/3076612.gif :lol:

Sekhmet
12-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Okay, I know I&#39;m late but I just bought "Frank" from Best Buy and I think I like it better than "Back to Black". ^_^[/b]
I prefer "Frank" to "Back to Black" as well.

I wish she could get it together before she enters of ranks of those who were uber-talented but left the world too soon due to self-destructive practices. :(

missladee622
12-17-2007, 07:02 AM
She&#39;s still one of my favorites. I hope she gets things together.

chinani
12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I bought Frank a few ago when it became available in the US. Unfortunately, Help Yourself is not on it! :Angry: I was heated! *sigh* Oh well, I&#39;ll buy the single. Right about now, I prefer Frank too, but I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s because I&#39;ve played Back to Black to death. Their both fabulous.

I just hope Amy can find a way to get it together. Addiction is no joke. :(

Soulsista934
12-17-2007, 02:40 PM
I am pretty sure there was another topic about her, but I LOVE "Stronger that Me"!!!

jaimuziq
12-17-2007, 05:44 PM

I wish she could get it together before she enters of ranks of those who were uber-talented but left the world too soon due to self-destructive practices. :(
[/b]

That&#39;s my concern as well. I wonder if she&#39;ll be performing at the Grammy&#39;s since she&#39;s nominated. :unsure:

I bought Frank a few ago when it became available in the US. Unfortunately, Help Yourself is not on it! :Angry: I was heated! *sigh* Oh well, I&#39;ll buy the single. Right about now, I prefer Frank too, but I don&#39;t know if it&#39;s because I&#39;ve played Back to Black to death. Their both fabulous.

I just hope Amy can find a way to get it together. Addiction is no joke. :(
[/b]

I&#39;ve only listened to it a few times but I could have sworn that it was a hidden track. :dunno: I could be wrong.

Soul Rebel
12-17-2007, 09:59 PM

[/b]

Ditto on both points.

crmycoco
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
[/b]

i was thinking the same thing...especially the slow songs. i also like the fact that the songs don&#39;t have a commercial hook.

Mellie3
12-20-2007, 03:36 PM
She does need to get it together. Unlike Britney Spears she has talent, and shes wasting it. Did anyone see that video of her onstage pulling something out her beehive, than snorting it, in front of thousands?[/b]

:( seriously? That&#39;s a crying shame...

ETA: the video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ei5w3Gpwdo) :unsure: She really needs help...

jaimuziq
12-21-2007, 05:46 PM
i was thinking the same thing...especially the slow songs. i also like the fact that the songs don&#39;t have a commercial hook.[/b]

:yes: I couldn&#39;t agree with you more.

Soulsista934, I really like "Stronger Than Me" too.

stormybluesky
03-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I have played Take the Box all day long over and over. A couple of months ago I was doing the same thing with You Sent My Flying.

The arrangements are just really nice. Has an old time sound to it.

Chocolate CurlyGirl
04-03-2008, 06:07 PM
"Frank" is the bomb, it&#39;s funny that I mentioned this album in another thread before even seeing this one lol! I found out about "Frank" when I went into a store and they were playing "Know you now", I wrote some of the lyrics down and googled, then tada! Found out it was from Amy Winehouse&#39;s Frank album. Needless to say I jumped on it and was not disappointed. I&#39;ve even turned on a few people to it, people who thought they didn&#39;t like her!

I have played Take the Box all day long over and over. A couple of months ago I was doing the same thing with You Sent My Flying.

The arrangements are just really nice. Has an old time sound to it.
[/b]

You sent me flying is one of my favorites. I played it on repeat for an extended amount of time when I first got the cd.

prttygrl21
04-07-2008, 03:57 PM
I love Frank and am still listening to it on the regular. I love What Is It about Men, Moody&#39;s Mood for Love, and Take the Box. I think it&#39;s the jazzy/bluesy Billie Holiday-esque element of that one that I love so much. I think this CD is way better than Back to Black (even though I really like that one too). I heard the B-sides was really good but I don&#39;t have it. My friend got it when he was in the UK (note to self--make him burn me a copy ASAP :ninj:).

LaMonica
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I&#39;m sorry..but

"F*CK ME PUMPS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXddDLvQx0)"

IS DA BOMB!

notroz2u
04-30-2008, 04:23 PM
I just bought the cd this weekend and I&#39;m glad I did. It is even better than Back to Black to me. I had it on repeat disc all night last night until I realized I needed to get some sleep lol

jaimuziq
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I&#39;m sorry..but

"F*CK ME PUMPS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQXddDLvQx0)"

IS DA BOMB!
[/b]

Yes it is. :D

notroz2u
05-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I have a question Who is Frank, anybody know lol. "Frank&#39;s in there & I don&#39;t care, take the box"