PDA

View Full Version : Soapmaking

bijoks
07-06-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi,
I've developed something of an interest in this. I've got a few books and stuff. Is there anyone else into this? I'm hoping to learn from other's experience before I start ordering up the lye :-) and other stuff.

jorjeni
07-07-2004, 03:11 AM
goto

Miller soaps (http://www.millersoap.com)

This is the site I learned from

I haven't made any soap in a few years now because I had well over 150 bars LOL!!! I am down to my last 15 bars so it's time I get back to it. My best friend was here over the weekend and she snagged 5 bars before she left.

It's a great hobby. I also make lotions body butters, scrubs body sprays etc... i use to make shampoo also but since I started no pooing I haven't made anymore.

Delilah
07-07-2004, 03:28 AM
I am also interested in learning how to make soap.....please give any tips. I've looked at a couple of soap making websites....I'm going to check out the bookstore tomorrow....what books have you found?

NaturallyJade
07-07-2004, 01:39 PM
I make it CP and HP soap. I am ordering 50 pounds of lye this week. It should last me quite a while. I really enjoy soap making. My family uses the soap I make. My favorite book is The Soapmaker's Companion (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0882669656/103-8574618-9893448?v=glance). I found it extremely informative.

bijoks
07-07-2004, 06:02 PM
Hi Ladies,
Thanks for the link Jorjeni, I will check it out.

The books I got were "The Soapmaker's companion" and the "Natural Soap book". I bought them on Amazon. I got a little swamped by all the info but I think I may start experimenting in a couple of weeks.

jorjeni
07-08-2004, 03:34 AM
I also used the "Soap Makers Companion" but after I had done my first batch from the website.

I am on a new computer so I don't have all my links. I also used a great site that has a calculator to help you with the right amount of lye and water.
Lye calculator (http://www.the-sage.com/calcs/lyecalc2.php)

I started with the miller site. I read it over and over and over then I went out and got the stuff and I just followed the simplest recipe I could find on the site. I got my lye from Menardes it is called "RED DEVIL" Lye. I also used Lard from the store and olive oil from the store and shea butter from a health food store.I bought a really cheap scale also that was for cooking.(SAW a great scale today at Linenes and Things for only $29 it was digital thinking of getting it) I got a stainless steal pot from the dollar store for like 5 dollars and the most important item of all my stick blender for $9.99 at walgreens.

I don't wear the gloves but I do wear the wrap around goggles. I don't mess with my eyes. I also do wear a mask also to I don't have to smell the fumes.

One tip if you decide to use goats milk freeze the milk in ice cube tray then put the ice cubes into container you are gonna use then add the lye slowly. It may take about 15 mins to do this but I feel this is the best way to do goats milk soap I have tried 2 other ways and have not been happy at all with any way but freezin it first.

I also don't do the temperture thing. I melt the solid oils first then add the liquid oil when the pot it comfortable to touch, I then make my lye water and as soon as it is done I pour it into the oils and start mixing.

Also for safty tip NEVER NEVER add the water to the lye. It will cause a cloud effect. You know like if you add water to flour it flys up into the air. The same thing happens if you add the water to the lye. ALWAYS pour the lye slowly into the water stirring as you go.

It's more scary then it look and sounds

Soapmakers forum (http://www.1freestreet.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard.cgi)

Snow drift Farms (http://www.snowdriftfarm.com)

For crafts sake (http://www.forcraftssake.com/moldhowto.html)
this site is where I got my mold from . I love this mold. I got the 2 sided one. It is easy to use, clean and line. and it makes for more uniform bars.( I still need a good cutting system)

jorjeni
07-08-2004, 03:40 AM
Some of my soaps

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/2004779201604980973676.jpg

jorjeni
07-08-2004, 03:42 AM
The mold filled with goats milk soap no scented(I call it Naked Goat)

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/2004773569083471284737.jpg

jorjeni
07-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Nake Goat cut

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jul/2004771623991037027644.jpg

bijoks
07-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Wow!!!! Jorjeni, your soaps look good. Thanks for the tips and encouragement . I will try as soon as I have assembled the equpment.

nottyfreedom
07-10-2004, 02:46 PM
anyways to makes soap without those particular ingredients? my boyfriends mum was going to teach me-but i moved for a minute. :(

notty

deedabug
07-11-2004, 11:47 PM
is anyone on here into making glycerin soaps with e.o.'s and herbal soaps, etc...?? I would be fearful of trying to make the complicated lye soap and have that around her for my curious kids ot find and swallow...is glycerin soap just as good at cleansing??

Adaasa
07-15-2004, 06:16 PM
I really enjoy making glycerin soaps..scented with peppermint and shaping and colouring them with natural fruits and such...safe and natural...:)

seek_first
07-15-2004, 06:31 PM
I made my first batch and now I'm hooked. Just today I was on fnwl and nandaoils trying to purchase supplies to continue my habit. :)

I have a album in my fotki album detailing my first batch.

REGEE
07-16-2004, 10:02 AM
Great job Seek :app
Thanks for sharing!!
Looks like a lot of work 8)

jorjeni
07-17-2004, 02:52 PM
Wow SEEK you went full out. GREAT JOB!!!

I don't do the grateing and adding stuff after that is called rebatching. I add all my stuff at trace. I also don't render my own tallow :app :app for going through all that.

If you want to learn an easier way to make soap check out

www.millersoap.com

pookeylou
07-18-2004, 08:01 PM
I'm just now researching this. i want to make my own shampoo bar. So I am reading 3 books:

Milk-Based Soaps Making Natural, Skin-Nourishing Soap

The Soapmaker's Companion - A Comptrehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know How

Soapmaking for Fun & Profit

I also saw that Crabapplesoap.com is going to offer a Beginners soap making kit in August.

bluephiyah
07-18-2004, 09:51 PM
there's a wholesaler, of sorts, from texas where a friend of mine reccomended i get oils and things from. they're a yahoo group, called supplies to die for. their website is http://todieforsoap.com. the prices look pretty good, i think.

seek_first
07-18-2004, 10:16 PM
Thanks Jorjeni for the compliments and the info. I'll definitely try to mix my ingredients at trace next time.

Why oh Why did I not know about the Texas Soap Makers Conference this weekend? :( I missed it, but better luck next year.

jorjeni
07-21-2004, 12:45 PM
I went to an Illinois soap and candle makers conference a few years ago it was great!!!!!. I got tons of things that was just given out and won a few things too. They are well worth it to attend. I learned why I could 't make fizzies right and went home did it they way they showed and made my first perfect batch of bath fizzies right. If you get a chance to go to one GO!!!

I like for supplies

Soapers Choice (http://www.soaperschoice.com)

Gacela20
07-21-2004, 09:54 PM
softnred,
If you're a little hesitant about using lye, you can always start by using the melt and pour method. Check out www.candlesandcandlemaking.com.

Also, for those of you who might be interested in taking classes, I came across www.classesusa.com/categories.

pookeylou
07-21-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Gacela20@Jul 21 2004, 05:54 PM
softnred,
If you're a little hesitant about using lye, you can always start by using the melt and pour method. Check out www.candlesandcandlemaking.com.

Also, for those of you who might be interested in taking classes, I came across www.classesusa.com/categories.
Thanks for posting that link! I was online all day today (YES..at work! :-) ) trying to find a local soap making class. Impossible. I will try this one.

Gacela20
07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Hey pookeylou,
If you want some free tips outside of the class, I came across another useful site. It's www.teachsoap.com. They have advice on soaps, bath bombs, lotions, lip butters, etc.

One other spot is www.herhobbies.com

REGEE
07-26-2004, 04:23 AM
I just made my 1st batch today :)
It was fun!! Now if only I could stop peeking...............

Can someone tell me what makes a soap a shampoo bar??
If it's ingredients, what are they?

jorjeni
07-26-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by REGEE@Jul 26 2004, 04:23 AM
I just made my 1st batch today :)
It was fun!! Now if only I could stop peeking...............

Can someone tell me what makes a soap a shampoo bar??
If it's ingredients, what are they?
Girl I don't know How my first batch every gelled since I was lifting up the blanket and peeking at it every 5 mins. LOL!! Then when it finally gelled I was jumping up and down like a fool yelling and everyone came running to see what had happened and was a bit miffed that all the noise I was making was about some soap LOL!!!

Congrates on your first batch...

I have heard some peeps say any homemade soap can be used as a shampoo bar and others say it's the ingredents. If you don't get another answer soon I will dig out my books and see what they say. I myself just used my regular bar I made on my hair it it worked great!!! It was a goatsmilk soap with shea butter, olive oil, palm oil and coconut oil.

PrincessDrRe
07-31-2004, 03:25 AM
Pray for this sista...I will be attempting to make soap come August.....

I just fear the lye!!!

REGEE
08-05-2004, 11:10 AM
REGEE here, again!
As I reported earlier I made my first batch, but now I can't UNMOLD it :doh
Any suggestions????
I used a rubbermaid container w/o waxed paper. What I did was oiled (very lightly) the inside. It's a castile soap (I say this bc the largest oil amt. was olive oil).
Thanks in advance

jorjeni
08-06-2004, 01:24 PM
Put it in the freezer for a while then when you take it out turn it upside down and run hot water on the bottom of the mold(like you would do an ice tray) I know on the soap dish forum someone did this before but I can't remember what they did to get it out. sorry but I hope this works for you.

jorjeni
08-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Oh and congrates on your first batch!!!!!

REGEE
08-06-2004, 01:30 PM
@ jorjeni Thanks so much, I'm off to try this RITE NOW!!!

REGEE
08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by REGEE@Aug 6 2004, 08:30 AM
@ jorjeni Thanks so much, I'm off to try this RITE NOW!!!
I got it out!! Thanks to your suggestion, jorjeni :)
I left it in the freezer over night, because I forgot about it :doh
But the next day when I remembered, it came out.
Thanks again!!

Delilah
08-09-2004, 10:48 PM
For all of you soap makers......is using a soap base cheating?

REGEE
08-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Delilah@Aug 9 2004, 05:48 PM
For all of you soap makers......is using a soap base cheating?
Cheating ;-) ???

If you go that route you don't have the freedom of picking & using the ingredients of YOUR choice, but I wouldn't say it's cheating-just limiting.

EarthTones
08-10-2004, 02:32 AM
Hey y'all! I have been a melt n' pour kinda gal and am ready to try my hand at the cold process.

jorjeni, you are a soap goddess! thanks for all of the good info and links!

EarthTones
08-19-2004, 03:53 AM
Hey y'all...I wanted to put you on to an affordable soap mold that you can use to make loaves that you can cut up into bars.

Martha Stewart Everyday (only found at KMart or on kmart.com) makes heavy duty plastic utensil trays (the ones you put in your drawer where you keep your eating utensils) in 1 or 3 compartments. I am gonna take pictures of them soon so you can see what they look like. I bought 1 of each...the 1 compartment was $2.50 and the 3 compartment was $4.50.

Anybody else hear of these? Some soapers call them "Martha Molds"

rejohn
08-20-2004, 12:17 PM
I haven't tried these soapmaking kits, but The Soap Saloon (http://www.soapsaloon.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TSS&Product_Code=k-SM101&Category_Code=K) makes kits that are not made from a base (where you melt it and add color and fragrance). It actually includes "vegetable oil, lye, color chip, scent, 3-cavity mold, recipe, thermometer, and instructions" for $16.

REGEE
08-23-2004, 01:58 AM
rejohn, that looks like a good deal for someone just starting!!
I just made my 2nd batch today. I didn't use my stick blender this time cause I made a smalll batch and didn't really think I needed it. I divided my batch into 2, one w/coffee grinds & the other w/o.
I used cinnamon for a bit o' color and coconut fo.
I poured them in my new milky way molds.
I'm excited to see how these turn out:-)

jorjeni
08-23-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by REGEE@Aug 23 2004, 01:58 AM
rejohn, that looks like a good deal for someone just starting!!
I just made my 2nd batch today. I didn't use my stick blender this time cause I made a smalll batch and didn't really think I needed it. I divided my batch into 2, one w/coffee grinds & the other w/o.
I used cinnamon for a bit o' color and coconut fo.
I poured them in my new milky way molds.
I'm excited to see how these turn out:-)
your second batch WTG!!! SEE HOW ADICTING THIS HOBBY IS!!!!!!!

I am down to 3 bars so it looks like I will be soaping sometime in the near future.

rejohn
08-27-2004, 05:00 PM
I've added pictures of the results of my first soapmaking adventure. I didn't document the whole process because I was kind of busy :lol

I will make another batch soon.

http://public.fotki.com/rejohn/soapmaking/

REGEE
08-28-2004, 02:17 AM
great job, rejohn