PDA

View Full Version : "I only straighten for SPECIAL occasions" -_-

KweenPhresh
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
*sigh*

Okay, so we've all heard a fellow Natural say this before: I only straighten my hair for special occasions.

Before going Naptural, I said this as well. "When I get to so n so length/goal, ima straighten it to see how it looks" (ugh!). I have since shed all inclination of doing so like a bad chemical fire cream. I no longer desire straight hair WHATSOEVER. But I've been thinking...why would we want to straighten our hair for cool events..why not ROCK IT in its best state during those times? It's as if some people consider straight hair a "treat" to look forward to. Ehh, to me, my Naptural strands in a cute style is a treat for me any day!!

So what say you? What're your views on the subject?

And, yes, this is the "Natural hair nazi"/Pro-Natural in me speaking. Lol.

MommieDearest
07-01-2011, 08:25 PM
LOL!! You will be hard pressed to get anyone on this board to say it's OK to straighten nappy hair on special occassions. This is a pro-nap, anti-straightening site.

BTW, OP is that you in the avatar? If so your hair is insane! My goodness....

*shakes off hair envy, puts popcorn in the microwave and awaits further comments*

KweenPhresh
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
LOL!! You will be hard pressed to get anyone on this board to say it's OK to straighten nappy hair on special occassions. This is a pro-nap, anti-straightening site.

BTW, OP is that you in the avatar? If so your hair is insane! My goodness....

*shakes off hair envy, puts popcorn in the microwave and awaits further comments*

Good, my natural obsession usually isn't well-received..ahahaa.

Lawd no..I jacked that from Google images because we have similar textures and that's my goal length..no idea who she is..holla!

CinnamonBiscuit
07-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I HATE that phrase. It always makes me 8):-| at the speaker.

People don't realize what they're REALLY saying when they say it. :-|

Once I decided to wear my natural hair no matter what anyone else thought, I was DONE with straight hair. There was no 'special occasion' ish with me. It was NATURAL HAIR, ALL DAY, EVERY DAY!!!!

I even get annoyed when looking at costume wigs. :p

Venetter
07-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Like OP, I have NOOOO desire to see my hair straight. That would only bring back bad memories of breakage, burnt hair smells, etc. I get the chills just thinking about it.
Special occasion hair for me is something out of my regular routine. When loose it was a big chunky twistout and now with locs, it's a curly bantu knot out.

Impy!
07-01-2011, 08:49 PM
for special occasions i go extra hard on the locs they gets done UP.
to each their own. I rebuke it but since it's not my head they coming near im oh so good.

DeBe
07-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Having posed a question where one side of the answers would be in breach of the board rules, you'll only get the opinions of those who share your point of view.

DeBe

KweenPhresh
07-01-2011, 09:02 PM
Having posed a question where one side of the answers would be in breach of the board rules, you'll only get the opinions of those who share your point of view.

DeBe

I am ok with that.

PepInMyStep
07-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Well, at one point, I WAS that natural. I thought it would be bomb to see my hair straight, as it would be undeniably more healthy than it was when relaxed. And I actually did it. And...HATED IT! I wanted to keep it for at least a week so I could justify the heat usage. Didn't even last three days. I needed my 'fro back STAT!

I hope my comment didn't just get this thread banned...

chocolynne
07-01-2011, 09:41 PM
No occasion is special enough to merit spending the next 4 years growing out heat damage to get back to where I am right now.

blackpanthershay13
07-01-2011, 09:43 PM
It doesn't matter to me if that's what they want to do.

meraki
07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
I don't really care if other people do that. Personally, I'm not interested. My hair is so fine that I'm paranoid I'll end up with a post in the heat archives. :o Plus, my hair is so porous that straightening was such a waste of time for me. My 'special occasion' hair would be an afro by the end of the festivities anyway. :-))

Karibana
07-01-2011, 10:14 PM
Their hair, their business, I only hope they know the risks they are taking if they actually care to keep their napps at their best. Personally, if I went loose again I'd never do ti. Besides there are plenty of alternatives to stretch the hair straight.

AfroIsland
07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Well this is a rather one sided discussion, isn't it :-)) 8).

I don't agree with the idea of straightening for special occassions, nor do I agree with wearing wigs for job interviews because you're afraid of what a interviewer might think bout your napps :-|. Naturals on this vary site have done/do this, and if you have then I think that you'd be talking out of your butt when you criticize for naturals who straighten on "special" occasions.

*disclaimer: I'm very aware of and respect the rules of NP, nor do I endorse the use of heat. But I'm going to say this anyway.*

I, again, don't agree with straightening for special occasions (parties, events, etc), but I can understand how naptural hair can get boring. I wear my hair shrunken 90% of the time, and because I want to wear it straight once, I should be stoned by the nappy mob :o? If I spend years growing out my hair to my goal of WL, and I want to actually experience WL hair for a day, I don't think I should have to get my naptural card revoked. The nappy police is just going to have to sit down somewhere. Does this mean that I don't love my natural hair as is (without it needing to be twisted, braided, banded, etc.) ? Um no. It just means that I want a change. You can't talk about how "versatile" natural hair is then put exceptions on what you can actually do to it.

meraki
07-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Heh. I wouldn't stone you. I understand what you're saying. But I can't see my way clear to do that. I'm that nappy who is SURE that the "yay, WL!" press would end up taking several inches of hair with it. :-))

Vavoon
07-01-2011, 10:47 PM
hmmph, my roommate straightened her hair for graduation after stating that she would never do it. to be honest, i felt the pro-napptural in me :(o) but we have to realize to each their own...and laugh internally with "i told you sos" when those who straighten their hair suffer heat damage. i just think that once you go natural you should embrace you hair texture on every occassion. some people with natural hair still have those kinks in their mind. and it smells nasty when you press your hair.

naturaldetermination
07-01-2011, 10:55 PM
theirs are so many hair styles you can try for a special occasion no need for straighten....

Vavoon
07-01-2011, 11:00 PM
^^ this is very true. people who do straighten may do it because they dont knwo the versatility of natural hair.

yaynita
07-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Nope not straighten my hair. I've already been scared to death from reading horror stories of loosing hair, curls ect. I love my napps and need them to stay as they are. No heat unless it's from the sun please. :) I'm so over that straight hair chick.

Mojito Chica
07-01-2011, 11:16 PM
I say MYOB and stop caring about what other people do with their hair.

AfroIsland
07-01-2011, 11:39 PM
I love long hair of any type (straight, curly, nappy) as long as it's well taken care of. Let me also say that I'm not one of those people who has a preference for straight hair. Straight hair is so boring compared to curly or nappy hair. Kinky-curly hair has my heart (because that's my hair type) no matter what. I will also be honest and say because I love long hair, sometimes I crave having it. Having 70% shrinkage gets in the way of this. I miss having hair pass my shoulders; hair that I can easily pull into a ponytail; hair that fully covers my ears :-)). I don't this that that's so much to ask for. I also know that I can have that without straightening my hair, even though it seems like it's going to be in the distant future. Instead of just keeping my hair straight, I'm choosing to work through years of growth to get it to the length I want (:-), because I am dedicated to being naptural.

Fuzziwuz
07-02-2011, 12:14 AM
.... My 'special occasion' hair would be an afro by the end of the festivities anyway. :-))

LOL... (:-) Fuzzy on the way to the event and a few dances a fro. All that time for nothing.

Fuzziwuz
07-02-2011, 12:25 AM
.... The nappy police is just going to have to sit down somewhere. .....

:-)):-))
Folks... do what makes you happy.

GalaxyGirl2012
07-02-2011, 01:21 AM
every time someone (it's usually a non black person) asks if i'm going to straighten my hair for a special occassion cus they'd like. to see me with straight hair i turn it around and ask if they are going to fro their hair out for a special occassion. of course they're reactions is ":huh: why the hell would i do that?!" and i'm like "exactly"

KellyVonn
07-02-2011, 01:27 AM
I've heard this before....I ain't with it! I enjoy the 24 hour a day nappy parades that we have here. :) (:-)