PDA

View Full Version : Washing Without Retwisting

nomadfeet
07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Hi! My locks just turned 1 year old (yes!) and are tight everywhere except the new growth.
I normally wash and retwistonce every two weeks.
I never wash without retwisting but I live in Spain and now during the summer itīs extremely hot. I want to wash my hair more often without having to retwist everytime.

Is washing without retwisting a bad idea?
Also, would washing my hair twice a week and retwisting when needed be excessive?

Thanks.

Denny
07-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Hola and congrats on the one year anniversary!:D

I am not a twister but a latcher. The every two weeks twisting seems excessive, that is too much tension on the hair strands, you can damage your locs this way by twisting them right off your scalp. There is no need to retwist every time you wash. The recommended minimum for twisting is monthly.

QueenLocks
07-11-2011, 02:37 PM
IA with Denny. Depending on the "look" you are going for, you do not have to retwist at all if you want. Some people "freeform" and that means after a shampoo, they towel dry and let their locks be, some "might" pull locks apart that start to join together, but they do not retwist. The choice is yours.
Take Care~

virgogirl
07-11-2011, 04:48 PM
I'm a loc newbie (only 6 weeks in) but I just finished reading Nice Dreads and the author washes her locs every week. She said she lightly turns them every week, lightly twists them every 2 weeks and does a full palmrolling every 6 weeks. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the difference is (especially between the twisting and pallrolling) but maybe the info will help you.

KnottyAuthor
07-11-2011, 11:30 PM
you can wash as much as you want to, but locks should not be tightened (latched or twisted) more than every 4-6 weeks.

straightnochaser
07-12-2011, 07:53 PM
I haven't retightened my hair in four months and it looks better and is much healthier. Just wash and go!

Himmy
07-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm a loc newbie (only 6 weeks in) but I just finished reading Nice Dreads and the author washes her locs every week. She said she lightly turns them every week, lightly twists them every 2 weeks and does a full palmrolling every 6 weeks. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the difference is (especially between the twisting and pallrolling) but maybe the info will help you.

That's me. I do a light twist every 2 weeks. If you're heavy handed with the twisting...you'll cause trouble. Often times you can't even tell I did a twist. My smaller ones never get a twist. I just separate and keep it moving.

KoilyLocGirl
07-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi! My locks just turned 1 year old (yes!) and are tight everywhere except the new growth.
I normally wash and retwistonce every two weeks.
I never wash without retwisting but I live in Spain and now during the summer itīs extremely hot. I want to wash my hair more often without having to retwist everytime.

1. Is washing without retwisting a bad idea?
2. Also, would washing my hair twice a week and retwisting when needed be excessive?

Thanks.

1. No, washing without retwisting is not a bad idea. I do it all the time 2 to 3 times a week with solid full head rinses in between.

2. Washing twice a week, again, is not a problem. Retwisting when needed depends on what your definition of "needed" is. My last tightening session was the end of May and I don't plan to tighten again until the long weekend in October (if I can't help myself) or possible the end of December (if I can).

If you are concerned with the neatness of your roots, I suggest doing a wash/rinse and then braiding or twisting your locs to keep the roots looking neat.

HTH.

Dolliesdaughter
07-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I started my locs with 2 strand twist at the beginning of May and I have yet to retwist and I wash frequently. My roots are puffy, but I don't mind. I think I may finally retwist at the end of Aug.

nomadfeet
07-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Thank you for alll your advice! :)