PDA

View Full Version : One Year in Braids Challenge III

NappilyT
07-26-2011, 10:54 PM
Here it is!
Let's continue ladies!! One year in braids. Maintain and take breaks as needed. Let's go!

LaQuettaSadler
07-27-2011, 12:27 AM
Can you use added hair to keep it looking neat or do it all have to be ur hair?

AmirahJasmine
07-27-2011, 01:43 AM
^^^ you can def use added hair :) Do what works for you!

afroknots11412
07-27-2011, 02:21 AM
taking down my twists as we speak. i'm just gonna make larger chunky twists and wear them up until wash day.

nocaresorhair
07-27-2011, 04:43 AM
Is a non-issue with my hair because of my fuzzy/wuzzy braids. Every few days, I just rinse & rinse while showering, then french braid the braids & GO!!! So so easy.

Tonight, I styled my hair into a nice updo & wore a small flower clip. No fuzziness - just fabulous!

ambellan
07-27-2011, 08:12 AM
taking my braids out! i need to let my hair rest. Are there any good moisturizers out there? I use cream of nature products but my hair eats up moisturizing lotions!

nocaresorhair
07-27-2011, 07:45 PM
Perhaps Giovanni Direct Leave-In or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. Check out the Curls or Qhemet product line.

w04andia
07-27-2011, 08:24 PM
I was complaining during the last week that my braids were boring me, well I found a temporary solution and curled them, they looked so nice (if I do say so myself :) ) and were a big hit when I went clubbing! I'll post the pictures later.

Let's keep going ladies!! I've been in braids (while taking a few breaks of course) since late april, I feel my hair is retaining length very well and my edges are fine i think, i'm watching them like a hawk LOL.

Woo! How are you ladies doing?

afroknots11412
07-28-2011, 04:26 AM
i spritz my hair with rosewater then apply a moisturizing cream and then seal with my oil mix. haven't had a dry day since.

my hair is in big twists all over. waiting for full wash day which is like week from now.

my hair is all full brastap length. including the bang area. the nape is approaching waistlength. sill got 2 inches to go. i was bored last night and my bang will have to grown 5-6 more inches to reach my belly button.

meraki
07-28-2011, 06:55 AM
my hair is all full brastap length. including the bang area. the nape is approaching waistlength. sill got 2 inches to go. i was bored last night and my bang will have to grown 5-6 more inches to reach my belly button.

Wow! That's a lot of hair!

--
I was headed for bed when I remembered that I have an event tomorrow and can't put off washing my hair, like I'd planned. But washing and setting the braids in a style only took 30 min. Hooray for braids!

Joliedame7629
07-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Hey ladies, its been about 7 weeks since my last post. Since, then I have been rocking nubian twist. I'm currently experiencing an issue with posting pics because my phone is on the brink of its last days. Anyhow, that just means that I spent a little over 10 weeks in micros and I hope to go 8 weeks with these twists. I must admit, I'm getting a bit bored. So, I'm now trying to decide between a full head sew in with an invisible part or tree braids. The problem is...that mess is expensive! I'm seriously almost tempted to try it on myself. There are so many youtube videos out there. It's just that I would really need to be dedicated to doing it. Anyone had any experience with either of those styles? My last sew in was a partial and it was removed after about 3 days due to being waaaay toooo tight! On another note, I BC'd January 31st and my hair is growing so much :)

afroknots11412
07-28-2011, 04:00 PM
yeah the first week in september when i do my braids over again i will take a pic.

AksanaAnais
07-29-2011, 01:51 AM
Back in cornrows under my wig...ive been in this one for a month now and it still looks good. I wonder how much longer out will last.

NappilyT
07-29-2011, 07:00 PM
I bet that was Cute w04andia. I tried it before but I kept doing the curls too tight/stiff.

Afroknots, you do have tons of hair! wow woman! lol

I'm going to wash my hair tonight..... I'm almost ashamed to say because I've never gone so long before, but it's been 4 whole weeks ladies.... Yes, 4 whole weeks since I shampooed or even rinsed my hair. *sigh* But, it doesn't itch! =) I'm gonna show my scalp some love tonight and see what happens. =)

ambellan
07-30-2011, 04:48 AM
I'm so excited to see my growth! I'll post pics next week :)

meraki
07-30-2011, 05:07 AM
I got a compliment on my hair yesterday! :))

My always hair shrinks up a lot from the initial braiding. And they are sparse, so I assume that most people just think it looks 'different' or at best 'okay.' So that compliment (from another nappy!) was great.

NappilyT
07-31-2011, 02:11 AM
Twisted the roots of my braids after shampooing and conditioning. It's been two weeks and now they look very fresh. Spritzed some oil into my parts. Also added some cowrie shells to a few braids. I feel regal. I think it has a lot to do with the culture, neatness, color and length of my braids. Loving it. 2 more weeks before I take them down.

nocaresorhair
07-31-2011, 05:00 AM
Yesterday, I washed & conditioned, & cornrowed my 5 yr old niece's hair. It took me 20m to part her hair w a rattail comb?? It look nice but I don't know why parting is an issue for me.

Unfortunately, my hair looks a hot mess! Today, I had the nerve to go to a memorial service w the frizzies. Of course, I saw folks I haven't seen in years so now I regret not fixing my hair or wearing a hat.

NappilyT
07-31-2011, 05:20 PM
^^I know that feeling. I had to do the same thing once because I had mini braids and I refused to do them over but it was what it was. I learned from that and started redoing my edges if I had somewhere to go...still not as good as a fresh do, but not so bad either.

nocaresorhair
08-01-2011, 12:29 AM
I definitely learned from this mistake. In June, I kept redoing fuzzy braids after a wash or rinse. However, this month *sighs*- I have not retouched a single braid!!!

I'm feeling lazy but since I'm off this week, I plan to redo the front area, & finally order my henna from Mehendi. Next week I have beach plans so I'll wait to redo my whole head.

Ms_Yoruba
08-02-2011, 12:06 AM
I undid a few braids at the front to vary my style a little bit... the front section is now rolled back into a kind of french roll / quiff of sorts... anyway, its just after midnight here and I'm gonna put the front section back into braids before I go to sleep. I hope I can!

Joliedame7629
08-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Honestly, I enjoy the idea of stretching a braid style by redoing the perimeter. BUT, I find that when I take the perimeter down, it takes me a while to "feel" like putting them back in. So, I only take them down 2-3 at a time and redo them as I go. It's amazing how just doing that makes the style look much better. Unfortunately, I still haven't found out the secret to combating the fuzzies.

AmirahJasmine
08-02-2011, 01:39 PM
It's been awhile since I've put braids in my hair. With the stress of having to take classes in the summer, working and other things, I just didn't feel like dealing with the time it would take to put them in. So for about a month ( I think thats how long ive been gone) my hair has been in a puff and bun. I put in about 100 singles 2 days ago and I realized something..... I MISSED MY BRAIDS!!!!!!! I can't believe I stopped doing them! It took me 6 hours (with a small break), and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

meraki
08-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Honestly, I enjoy the idea of stretching a braid style by redoing the perimeter. BUT, I find that when I take the perimeter down, it takes me a while to "feel" like putting them back in. So, I only take them down 2-3 at a time and redo them as I go. It's amazing how just doing that makes the style look much better. Unfortunately, I still haven't found out the secret to combating the fuzzies.

Oh yeah, I only undo what I'm about to rebraid. Undoing a whole section would be too daunting. I could just do one braid and say 'forget the rest.' But if I take out a whole section, I'm committed!

NappilyT
08-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Hmmm, I like these ideas I see. My hair does well in braids and even though I only committed to wear my current set for 4 wks, I'd hate to see them go. I seem to get tunnel vision sometimes because I kept telling myself I don't want to twist the roots for a whole two months, but you ladies have been saying it all along that you just redo the fuzzy ones! lol So, I think that's what I'll do. That way I can also tell when I really need to take them out or if my hair is weakening in areas.
Since I have the extensions in, my braids hold up well to washing. Once I take them out I was considering to continue incorporating a little synthetic hair in the braids but not extending them longer than my own hair. That would allow me longer wear with each new set.

Urbanite
08-03-2011, 06:36 PM
i spritz my hair with rosewater then apply a moisturizing cream and then seal with my oil mix. haven't had a dry day since.

my hair is in big twists all over. waiting for full wash day which is like week from now.

Wow!! Do you have any pics? How long did it take you to grow your hair? What's your regime?

afroknots11412
08-04-2011, 05:39 AM
i will definitely take pics in september for the end of summer.

i took down my locs in in 2007. even though my hair a good length it was seriously damaged (i did a lot of stuff to my locs and the with the take down. also right after the take down i got a dominican blow out and that was one horrible experience i will never have again. so i've been nursing my hair back to health ever since. i was seriously scissor happy because i am (was) addicted to fresh cut ends. so now that i put the scissors down and got good regimen my hair is doing very.

basically all i do is low manipulation. i'm in protective styles the majority of the time. i haven't had my hair out since superbowl and that was for a night. i finger detangle as well.

my regimen is:

prepoo-finger detangle-shampoo in braids-deep condish- acv rinse-cold water rinse-leave in -style.

i've been sticking with the same products for awhile now. natures gate cond, shea moisture leave in, karens super silky and my ceramide mix of oils.

Kathleen1
08-04-2011, 06:59 AM
i am back from jamaica and i am officially in now.....

i have in some micro kinky twists (which i got done in jamaica for a great deal of 2000 dollars (like 23 US (thanx auntie xD))) which is this exact partings i want to keep braids with my real hair in...so in a month or 2 im gonna clarify the hell out of my hair then take each down individually and just braid my real hair with that same part xD.

not breaking my arms parting my own hair FTW! pics soon to come xD

Ekaette
08-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi guys, I'd like to join this challenge. I've been in twists both with my own hair and with extensions since April, with a couple weeks break inbetween. I already was planning on doing braids/twists for an extended period of time bc I'm having to wake up super early for work and some days I'm on call and I need some low energy and low manipulation styles.
Kinky twists in apr. Kept these in for 6 weeks
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/sunnieg83/IMG_2131-1.jpg

After a couple of weeks off I did twists with my own hair. Kept these in for a little over 2 weeks
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/sunnieg83/IMG_1173-2-1.jpg

After a couple weeks I got another set of kinky twists which I'm currently wearing. I'm about 3.5 weeks in.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/sunnieg83/IMG_1254-1.jpg

After I take these out I'll probably do long box braids bc all the pics have me really wanting some lol

Ms_Yoruba
08-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Ekaette, welcome! Your twists look great - I'm especially feeling the twist updo with your own hair :D

I've just realised that I'm in my fourth week already! I guess undoing the front and putting em back in meant that I lost track of the days.

I love the freedom it gives me - even on the days when I think it looks boring and unflattering to my personal style, I still don't really care. Yes, I'd love to show off my fro in all its glory. But I also love the extra sleep and play time I have now. It's great.

w04andia
08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Hey ladies
Just a-checkin in!

I've been in braids 5 weeks and my hair is doing great, my edges are holding up well, and I'm happy with the growth I've had so far. I think I've had a growth spurt this last month, my hair's grown maybe 3/4'' in 4-5 weeks.
Would be nice if that happened all year round LOL.
My bottom layers are approaching APL, and my hair is generally 8.5-10 inches long, a big leap from the 4-5 inches I had when I lopped off half of my hair after a bad dye job last year october.
If my exam results are good, I will take out my braids and rock a fierce fro as a gift to myself LOL!

Ekaette
08-04-2011, 11:54 PM
Ekaette, welcome! Your twists look great - I'm especially feeling the twist updo with your own hair :D

I've just realised that I'm in my fourth week already! I guess undoing the front and putting em back in meant that I lost track of the days.

I love the freedom it gives me - even on the days when I think it looks boring and unflattering to my personal style, I still don't really care. Yes, I'd love to show off my fro in all its glory. But I also love the extra sleep and play time I have now. It's great.

Thanks MsYoruba!

Joliedame7629
08-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Hey ladies, how do you upload pics w/in a forum?

meraki
08-05-2011, 04:35 AM
Hey ladies, how do you upload pics w/in a forum?

Put them online somewhere, like tinypic.com. Then, post the link to the picture with URL HERE around it.

check to be sure your picture isn't enormous before you post. That's a common error. Tinypic will show you the actual size of your pic if you want to check. And you have the option to resize it.

meraki
08-05-2011, 04:40 AM
I was going to redo the front of my hair, but my shampoo the other night gave new life to my braids. They're still fuzzy, but not in a sticking-up, out of control way. I suspect it was my bootleg version of Kimmaytube's conditioner - I do the full recipe often, but sometimes I just mix Carol's Daughter Hair Milk with aloe vera juice. I think it's the lower pH that is making my hair 'conform' nicely.

I'm thinking I should get in the habit of taking pics of the changes in my braids from fresh braids to time for retouches/total redo. People who look at my hair now probably wouldn't recognize the freshly braided pic I posted in the last thread.

freshly braided:

http://i54.tinypic.com/30igbok.jpg

tonight (2 weeks later):

http://i51.tinypic.com/1oaiqx.jpg

afroknots11412
08-05-2011, 05:31 AM
putting in a fresh new set of braids in the morning.

Joliedame7629
08-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Meraki for the advice on posting pics. Now, I'm off to try it lol

w04andia
08-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Approaching 6 weeks in braids....well not really but I need to encourage myself to keep going haha!

new2naps11
08-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm joining, I'm joining!! This is my 2nd challenge (I'm doing a long term transition), and I'm verrrryyyy excited! I work full time (and have to work too early), have a 3yr old, and we're always on the go, so I had to find something low maintence and easy to keep up! Last night I got my kinky twists put in.. and I'm already planning for box braids when these are ready to come out! I don't know why I wasn't doing a protective style sooner :D

AmirahJasmine
08-06-2011, 08:42 PM
I've had my braids in for 6 days. They still look good, but my scalp is itching like crazy! I'm going to wash, condition and start rebraiding the perimeter. I bought some cantu shea butter leave in conditioning repair cream yesterday. I don't have any styling creams, and I redid a braid that was too tight with it, and my hair felt so soft!

nocaresorhair
08-07-2011, 01:22 AM
Welcome Naps11!

I'm waiting, waiting, & wtg for my henna to come. I plan to henna my hair w these braids??!!

Will post my results next weekend.

w04andia
08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
OK, so I took out my braids after 6 weeks, my hair's grown quite a bit.
I henna'd yday and now i have indigo in my hair, I want to see if it will make my hair black.
I will then DC and rollerset my hair to stretch it.
And twist! Yay!

afroknots11412
08-08-2011, 10:42 AM
yeah so i will never leave mini twists in that long again. my hair was tangle city. boo to that! ugh!

new set of braids in. this set is cool.

w04andia
08-08-2011, 03:05 PM
So now I have black low-lights from the indigo! I love it, it's gonna make my twists look really interesting LOL.
I'm rollersetting my hair right now to air dry it.
I've been doing my damn hair since yesterday LOL
It's been:
Take out the braids
Detangle
Henna yday
Rinse today
Indigo after
Rinse
Deep condition
Rinse
Rollerset

Then I will twist the back and cornrow the front and this will be my style for two weeks :)..if i can last that long without doing something to my hair :P

aaahhh the joys of natural hair :)

afroknots11412
08-08-2011, 06:47 PM
right now i am wearing my braids in 2 french braids. usually i don't do anything with my hair except buns or pulled back in a ponytail. but over the course of this challenge i will try and do more. i'm surprised the braids came out okay because i really do not part my hair. i just grab and braid. even my part down the middle. i don't use a comb to part down the middle because it just does it naturally now.

nocaresorhair
08-08-2011, 07:10 PM
@W0andia - what do you use for the henna mixture?

@Afroknots - It's great you're experimenting now since it doesn't require excessive manipulation of hair to get new styles. With your length, you could have beautiful updos.

AmirahJasmine
08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Washed my braids last night. Now I'm redoing the perimeter, and the braids around my middle part. :) Scalp is no longer on fire! LOL

Ekaette
08-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Took my kinky twists out. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks then put in my box braids

NappilyT
08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
I feel like I've been missing in action since I put my extensions in. lol Well, not much to tell. I've got some SERiouS new growth in these past 4 weeks (4 weeks Friday). I will probably start redoing my hair this weekend. I've been wearing it in a high ponytail this past week and it wasn't until I tried to wear it in a low pony a couple days ago that I realized how Heavy these braids are now that I have so much new growth. So redoing them this weekend is not really an option. It's a must. I may also consider doing them a little shorter, or I may simply keep them up like I've been doing.

afroknots11412
08-12-2011, 02:50 AM
@Afroknots - It's great you're experimenting now since it doesn't require excessive manipulation of hair to get new styles. With your length, you could have beautiful updos.

yeah i probably could but i'm just so used to pulling it up into a bun. so sad, lol! so basically i need to try more things with my hair. i don't have to be a frump in braids.

Ms_Yoruba
08-12-2011, 12:34 PM
yeah i probably could but i'm just so used to pulling it up into a bun. so sad, lol! so basically i need to try more things with my hair. i don't have to be a frump in braids.

LOL - yep, that's what I have to tell myself too. Especially when the braids need redoing. Always UpInABun.

I'm gonna wash my hair tonight. I've gone back to washing my braids weekly. Had to stop using the braid cleanser (for in-between washes), as it conflicted with my aloe shampoo and would leave large white flakes of buildup that were not there BEFORE I shampoo'd! Was sooo hard to remove from my hair :(

Maybe today's the day I try... co-washing!

Ms_Yoruba
08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Actually, I haven't done a ACV rinse in a while! I think I'm going to spend some time clarifying my hair. Yes.

NappilyT
08-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Got antsy. =) Started redoing my braids already. I've been doing them nearly half the length they were before and I can tell it's going to be a neat look but I'm not so sure how it'll frame my face. We shall see....a little in at a time.

NappilyT
08-14-2011, 01:20 AM
All done! Well, I actually redid all except the middle of my head. I did them much shorter, and since I went shorter I actually reused the same extensions. :huh: lol. Anyway, here they are:

http://images15.fotki.com/v235/photos/5/1355475/9636751/007-vi.jpghttp://images59.fotki.com/v255/photos/5/1355475/9636751/008-vi.jpg

meraki
08-14-2011, 02:07 AM
Looking good!

I still have big twists from my takedown. I don't know when the braids are going back in b/c I have to be picture-perfect on Thursday AND the Thursday after that. That's a lot of redoing!

nocaresorhair
08-14-2011, 02:59 AM
After 6wks, I finally un-braided my hair. I tried henna for the first time. Bittersweet because it works but is a lengthy, lengthy process so I put chunky twists in my hair (time saver)

I'll convert the twists to braids later this week (as I did last month). I randomly braided & tucked my twists before my workout

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/69_171/168_77/Photo08132103-vi659.jpg (http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/69_171/168_77/Photo08132103-vi659.jpg)

Ms_Yoruba
08-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Nice pics ladies!!

I'm about to start re-doing my braids around the edges and work inwards... I'm having a relaxing weekend so may do it as I watch a DVD.

afroknots11412
08-14-2011, 05:24 PM
its raining today but i'm still gonna try and get out of this house and do my little haul. i want to get some more oils (i'm trying to make this super oil mix of oils that are ceramides) and i'm gonna order my qhemet. i am treating myself because i made it through my first two courses in grad school.

braids are fuzzy as hell but they are staying in until september.

NappilyT
08-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks meraki and MsYoruba.

That's some lovely thickness you have going on there nocaresofhair.

Congrats on getting through your first quarter/semester afroknots. Have you ever mentioned what you're studying? I'm in school for a pro counseling degree myself.

Anyone ever tried Karen's Body Beautiful products? I'm in search of a light, moisturizing cream/butter that I can apply to my braids (sans extensions). Thanks in advance for responding.

Ms_Yoruba
08-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey NappilyT! Not tried KBB myself so can't help there... I take it you're looking for something to keep your braids moistened? I've created an oil spritz that I use (water, little conditioner, castor oil right now). I just spritz in the morning if I feel my hair needs it, as it keeps my braids soft for days. Sometimes I don't add the conditioner to the bottle too.

Hope you get your KBB responses though! And best wishes with the counselling degree :)

Oh, I didn't bother redoing my braids yesterday. I'd put them in three large damp cornwrows the night before and then wore them in a crimped look that seemed to refresh them in a much easier way! I should start on the re-doing job this week though

afroknots11412
08-15-2011, 05:11 PM
nappily T: i am getting my masters in social work.

i have used karen's. i feel like she has the best smelling natural hair products. the smell alone will make you buy them. i love the super silky leave-in. i can use it daily because it doesn't have protein or glycerin (my hair can't take that daily). its nice and light but moisturizing. i also love her hair butter. however i don't know if i will be buying anymore because it is a bit expensive and i can definitely run through that moisturizer so quick. but like i said the scents alone can make me keep buying it.

meraki
08-15-2011, 05:37 PM
NappilyT - Oyin's new product, Honey Dew, sounds like what you're looking for. I own it, but when I'm braided, I tend to just spray with one of their juices (water/glycerin product). I do put creams near the ends, though.

Oh, I had a mess on my hands last night. I undid my braids sometime last week and put them in big twists as I went. Ok, fine. Then I wore the twists (pinned up, in a pony) as a style for a few days. Then, I washed my hair in the same twists and let them dry that way. Last night, I went to take my hair down, and it was tangled near the scalp. My hair tangles SO easily that any hair that wasn't firmly in a twist was mingling with other hairs. I had to use a ton of product to get through my hair. And it was hot, so I started sweating and my hair started shrinking. That added to the fun! Lesson learned - my big twists can't be left alone like braids.

On the up side, my hair seems to be in good condition. I attribute that to being in the braid challenge!

afroknots11412
08-15-2011, 05:45 PM
^^ yeah i learned that lesson. no washing or wetting hair while in twists. my hair revolts.

hair is definitely in good condition since being in braids and using ceramides. i was looking at my shed hair yesterday and it was a nice silky strand with no holes, splits, dips, incompletes, etc... just smooth. :D

Akomas_Angel
08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Ok, alright already...I'm done stalking this thread. I am going to join this challenge. *sigh* Light a candle for me ladies because this is going to be rough!

I'm going to put in some kind of braid extensions in my hair for 2 months within the next week. After that, I have no clue. I will probably be doing a ton of cornrow styles, box braid updos, and French braids. *sigh* I'm committed, but I have a deep love for my fro and all of its fluffy goodness. But if I plan on conquering my other challenges (waist length, no cutting) I have to do more protective styling. Luckily, you ladies have been great inspiration and style icons.

AmirahJasmine
08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
My braids have been in for 2 weeks! Time has flown by! I'm gonna try another week, then take a weeks break! Loving this!!!

Kathleen1
08-15-2011, 07:48 PM
well i finally stopped being lazy and i have sum pictures of my kinky twists

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=5443

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=455&pictureid=5445

i love my new camera!!!

so yea imma try n keep em for about 2 months. but after i think im gonna combine em because i have such think and fine hair in the back and sides and they are smaller than i thought they would be. and a few of the extensions came out in the back and i tried to braid the loose hair and it was next to impossible. so i will definitely be combining.

nocaresorhair
08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
@Akomas - Welcome to the challenge!

@Kathleen1 - I love the twists!!!!

AmirahJasmine
08-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Looking good Kathleen! What kind of camera is that? I love how it catches movement without any blur!

afroknots11412
08-16-2011, 05:31 AM
@ akomas: e-luv! yay! you joined. wonderful. i swear you won't miss your hair after awhile, if you are consistent. i love just waking up in the morning and not having to worry.

Kathleen1
08-16-2011, 06:13 AM
it is my secret agent camera that i use to spy on.....errrrrrrrr its finepix by fijifilm O.o. got it free from my sister xD.

Ms_Yoruba
08-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Thursday will be 5 weeks in braids - I'm going to keep going for as long as I can stand... I may try going for 10 weeks straight. Just redoing when necessary, every two weeks or so. Hmm.

I have to create more inventive ways of wearing my braids, so that I don't get bored. Maybe I'll get a cornrow updo in a few weeks' time. Found some old pics of when I was newly nappy - I was much more creative!

Blazinflames
08-16-2011, 11:30 AM
iwant to join but i want to know how to maintain my hair whilst in braids with extensions.

Akomas_Angel
08-16-2011, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the welcome nocaresorhair and ak!

@ akomas: e-luv! yay! you joined. wonderful. i swear you won't miss your hair after awhile, if you are consistent. i love just waking up in the morning and not having to worry.

This is what is going to keep me motivated!

@Kat, Your twists are too adorable. I have the same exact camera.

NappilyT
08-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks for responding to the KBB/moisturizer question ladies!! Although I love how neat and flawless extension braids stay for a month or more, I am craving to get my hands in my OWN hair and moisturize it like crazy. Now I've got some options.

Akomas Angel, you had me dying laughing! It was actually like all the ladies were huddle together deep in conversation and you popped around the corner like "enough already, I'm joing the group!" lol We welcome you. Your hair is fabulous and I can't wait to see your designs.

Kathleen those twists are GorGeoussS! lol And that Is a nice shot of you having fun with them.

Blazinflames, I've been wearing extensions lately. About 1-1/2 months now. What I've been doing to maintain my hair is shampooing/co-washing every 2-4 weeks then spritzing my braids with African Pride's anti-breakage, conditioning braid spray formula. I'll do that about every other day. It is for daily use though. Other than that, I intend to give myself a light protein treatment (reconstructor) as soon as I take down my extensions.

So far my hair is holding up well to the extensions, but I don't trust to wear them much more than another month or two.

AmirahJasmine
08-17-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm finding that the braids around my perimeter are lasting longer than the rest of my braids (in regards to loosening at the roots). They still get frizzy, but hold pretty firm and dont loosen up. Interesting... August 21 will make 3 weeks in these braids! Then I'll take them down and do some serious deep conditioning :)

Ms_Yoruba
08-17-2011, 12:35 PM
@AmirahJasmine - interesting, how are you wearing your braids? Are they loose or plaited, or in a bun etc. Mine are neater at the front - but that's because I've re-done these ones more recently!

Last night I shampooed and then put my braids into two cornrows to dry, which are still in today. Quite a neat style considering the braids themselves are sooo fuzzy and loose.

NappilyT
08-17-2011, 06:46 PM
I have the same thing going on AmirahJasmine. I feel it's because my hair grows slowest in that area. I definitely know I'm not getting 6 inches a year on my edges. That leads me to be very careful of them because the one time I pulled a section out getting professional kinky twists, it took Forever for that one little spot to fill back in.
The hairs are also much shorter on my edges; always have been. One thing I can appreciate about them, is that I subsequently have natural layers in my hair whenever I have grown my hair long in the past.

w04andia
08-18-2011, 07:09 AM
OH
MY
GOODNESS
GUYS.

I'm going to be a doctor....I GOT INTO MEDICAL SCHOOOOOLLLL!!!!
The whole application and waiting process has lasted a year, and I'm happy to finally be where I want to be.

Now time for me to get back into growing some long hurr for my 19th birthday!!

I have twists with braided roots right now, may put in some box braids late :)

But for now....

CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES, COME ON!

w04andia
08-18-2011, 07:15 AM
I meant later*
not late :)

nocaresorhair
08-18-2011, 07:18 AM
That's fantastic news - Congratulations!!!

Ms_Yoruba
08-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Ahhh, congrats W0handia!!

meraki
08-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Wow, congratulations w04andia!

AmirahJasmine
08-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Wow! Congratulations W04andia!!! That is soooo great!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

MsYoruba, My hair is in singles with just my hair. They're a little thinner than a #2 pencil. I tried to cornrow my braids into a style, but it was too tight and i took them down. I washed my hair braids yesterday, and the ends curled up so pretty! :)

NappilyT, I go through the exact same thing! I bc'd in january after transitioning, which left my hair around collar length in the back, and the front reached my top lip. NOW, 7 months later, my back reaches APL, and the front reaches the bottom of my chin! the sides are different lenghts :P I have two areas in the front (above each eye) that are thinner than the rest of my hair. I asked my mom, and she said it's been like that since I was a little girl, which was a relief because I thought I had done some damage or something.

schoolcounselor
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Congrats w04andia!!!!!

I went to Disney last week with th family so it was wash and go the whole week. It is in braids now for a braid out, but I am thinking of braiding it up for school starting soon. Or I might do an african threading updo. Still trying to decide.....

I wish my hair was long enough just to braid and tuck it neatly....the more I think about this , maybe I will braid and tuck it....lol. How is everyone else doing?

AmirahJasmine
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Schoolcounselor, African Threading Updo???? Never heard of that, I'm going to have to look that up!!!! I love learning about new hair styles!

nocaresorhair
08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
^^cosign to this!!!

@schoolcounselor - Please post a picture of your next style. Incidentally, my hair is twisted & I've managed different tuck styles. I love it!!!

Today, I'm wearing a french braid. These chunky twists were a good choice after my henna treatment.

afroknots11412
08-18-2011, 10:14 PM
congrats!!!

w04andia
08-18-2011, 11:01 PM
Thank you ladies!!!!
Really, thank you :) !

Any way...back to important matters .... how are everyone's braids and stuff? :) :P

AmirahJasmine
08-19-2011, 12:08 AM
I decided to take mine down today. My scalp was getting irritated, and i think it needs a break :P So I will be letting it rest, and braid a new set in about a week :)

meraki
08-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Any way...back to important matters .... how are everyone's braids and stuff? :) :P

:-))

I've had open hair too long! I want to be braided up again. I'm going to wait until next weekend. I have another day next week when I need to look super extra fresh, and my braiding skills aren't THERE yet.

afroknots11412
08-19-2011, 04:25 AM
i was told by a woman on the street who was mentally ill (she kept calling me the devil and saying i was looking for attention) that my braids needed to be redone. my hair is frizzy and fuzzy no matter what i do or the type of product i use. i embrace that ish and it is what it is. i'm not redoing shit!

these braids are staying in until the couple of days before labor day weekend or after labor day. yup yup like teddy.

w04andia
08-19-2011, 11:42 AM
i was told by a woman on the street who was mentally ill (she kept calling me the devil and saying i was looking for attention) that my braids needed to be redone. my hair is frizzy and fuzzy no matter what i do or the type of product i use. i embrace that ish and it is what it is. i'm not redoing shit!

these braids are staying in until the couple of days before labor day weekend or after labor day. yup yup like teddy.

I agree, I really don't care about a bit of frizz on my braids :)

Ms_Yoruba
08-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Me neither - I don't care!

However, I DO care that my hair is currently reaaaallly untidy for a friend's parents wedding this weekend! I'm considering wearing traditional Nigerian clothes, just so I can wear a head-tie! But then, that would make me perhaps tooooo dressy for what is actually a summer day-smart-into-easy-evening dress code!

Going to see if I can wear one of my more demure items of clothing, with head-tie.