PDA

View Full Version : Shea Butter in hair

kudurunzinga
05-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Another quick question:
I finally received my Shea Butter in the mail after waiting anxiously and impatiently for few days (Nasabb is really good and quick with shipping). Now that I have it I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH IT :cry: !!! I use it as a moisturizer for my face but I was wondering how to use it in my hair.

What are some ways you guys use Shea Butter in hair? Also, is it hard to rinse out?

Thanks again. I a full of questions today!!! :)

jazzypom
05-04-2003, 10:42 AM
i would advise that you mix one part shea butter to two parts oil. I did a shea butter mixture for my hair once. it was okay. I should do it again.

I used

one tsp shea butter
one tsp coconut oil (the one that hardens when cools)
one tsp cetearyl alchol (it thickens the product)
a dollop of castor oil
one small chunk of cocoa butter.

Melt all ingredients together, mix with a blender until fluffy (it will cool) - came out like a pomade. I was thinking of adding some floral waters to it, and some dimethicone, but i need to get my hands on some paraben (a serious yet mild preservative) first.

THe softness that it left to my twists was really good. But i am now leaning towards leave in lotions, so i dont think that i will be coming around to this recipe for a while.

yours

jazz

kudurunzinga
05-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the receipe Jazz! It sounds real good! Do you know where I might be able to find castor oil and cetearyl alcohol? :D

jazzypom
05-04-2003, 03:40 PM
you can find castor oil at any chemist (pharmacy) they tend to sell it as a laxative. you can get cetaryl alcohol from neal's yard remedies or on websites like www.fromnaturewithlove.com or www.makeyourcostmetics.com. I do hope this info helps, and let a sistah know how you get on :wink:

jazz

Tasha806
05-04-2003, 04:44 PM
I use my Nasaab shea butter right out of the jar on my hair. But only a small amount and i also let it melt in my hands before applying it to my hair. I have also been following an Intense conditioning receipe using shea butter that i found on the Nasaab website. You apply your regular conditioner then add about 1tsp of shea butter, about 2tbsp of the Kelechi hair oil, mix the shea butter and kelechi hair oil together then massage thoroughly into hair. Apply a plastic cap and let sit for 30 minutes or more then rinse out. I don't use these measurements though i just scoop out some shea butter and spray out a nice amount of kelechi oil and use that.
I'm almost out of the kelechi oil and will use the Kemi-oyl in place of it. I do this once a week and it has worked wonders for my hair.
FYI: if you use too much shea butter it will be difficult to rinse from your hair.
HTH

jazzypom
05-04-2003, 04:51 PM
hmmmm... i must try that. i wonder if castor oil will do the trick?

thanks for that tip, must remember to do it the next time i deed treat.

Tasha806
05-05-2003, 06:12 PM
You're welcome Jazzy! :D
I think the castor oil should work just fine. Give it a try and post your results.

scurrie
05-05-2003, 07:55 PM
I just bought shea butter (natural). I've never bought it before, so I don't really know it what I bought is really natural shea butter. My ques. is what is it suppose to look like? The one I bought is white & very grainy like an exfoliant.

kudurunzinga
05-05-2003, 09:38 PM
I just bought shea butter (natural). I've never bought it before, so I don't really know it what I bought is really natural shea butter. My ques. is what is it suppose to look like? The one I bought is white & very grainy like an exfoliant.

Scurrie:
The following websites should give you the info you need to know about Shea Butter. The Nasabb website even gives you some receipes for Shea Butter use. The shea butter you have does not sound like the one I order from Nasabb :?: . It is a yellowish color and melts like butter when it is in your hand. Check it out. -Nzinga :D

Shea Institute
http://www.sheainstitute.com/home.html

Nasabb
http://www.nasabb.com/nasabbnew/sheauses.htm

acjazz28
05-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Hey scurrie! :-)

Shea butter looks different by the batch. Plus I think it also depends on how it's processed (refined or unrefined). The type I get (which I pay waaaaay too much for ;-)) is kinda grainy also, but the color looks like manilla-paper. And it has a fantastic smell to it that I can't describe. On the jar it says that it's unrefined and imported from Africa :-). So I'm sure you got the real deal. Now, what to DO with it...hmmm...

I use it straight out the jar when I do my twists/plaits and my DD's hair sometimes. Or I'll mix it with coconut oil and a bit of Suave conditioner and make a pomade. Or rub a small bit liberally on rusty knees and elbows around the house (especially mine! :lol:). When you rub it in your hands, the grainy-ness will melt away into a rich 'old school' type of grease-like oil. It leaves my hair and skin so soft...it's great stuff to have around. :-)

HTH,

http://acjazz28.sytes.net/super.gif

scurrie
05-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Hey scurrie! :-)

Shea butter looks different by the batch. Plus I think it also depends on how it's processed (refined or unrefined). The type I get (which I pay waaaaay too much for ;-)) is kinda grainy also, but the color looks like manilla-paper. And it has a fantastic smell to it that I can't describe. On the jar it says that it's unrefined and imported from Africa :-). So I'm sure you got the real deal. Now, what to DO with it...hmmm...

I use it straight out the jar when I do my twists/plaits and my DD's hair sometimes. Or I'll mix it with coconut oil and a bit of Suave conditioner and make a pomade. Or rub a small bit liberally on rusty knees and elbows around the house (especially mine! :lol:). When you rub it in your hands, the grainy-ness will melt away into a rich 'old school' type of grease-like oil. It leaves my hair and skin so soft...it's great stuff to have around. :-)

HTH,

http://acjazz28.sytes.net/super.gif

thanks :P Yes when I rub it in my hands, it melts into a oily substance :wink:

scurrie
05-06-2003, 08:24 PM

Scurrie:
The following websites should give you the info you need to know about Shea Butter. The Nasabb website even gives you some receipes for Shea Butter use. The shea butter you have does not sound like the one I order from Nasabb :?: . It is a yellowish color and melts like butter when it is in your hand. Check it out. -Nzinga :D

Shea Institute
http://www.sheainstitute.com/home.html

Nasabb
http://www.nasabb.com/nasabbnew/sheauses.htm

:( After reading the information on the site, I realized I bought the wrong thing. It said 100% natural shea butter but based on the description I've been bamoolzed...hoodwinked :? The shea butter I bought doesn't have a smell at all & it's completely white :? And like I said it's very grainy, not smooth at all :cry: I look at the brand when I get home and let u know who makes it. Thanks again! :P It's a good thing I didn't pay a lot for it :wink: