PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to moisturize locks without oil?

tip757
08-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Im so tired of oil. Im tired of it running down my face, I'm tired of it running in my ear so when I pull my phone away I see a big oil stain on the cover. Even when I try not to put a lot, it still seems to roll down my neck. Im just tired of the messiness.
So basically I wanna know if there are other ways to moisturize locks without oil?

rootruth
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
from my own experience, oil seals moisture in - it doesn't do the actual moisturizing. as a freeformer who doesn't care about unravelled roots, i get my hair wet in the shower almost every morning. i only apply oil to my hair once a week after a shampoo/acv rinse. the rest of the week, i just use water & my hair isn't dry or brittle, it's very happy :) i believe this method is also great for avoiding oil/product build up.

you may find out that the amount you are using isn't necessary. experiment with using much less than you usually do or maybe try using no oils at all & just water spritzes? good luck!

chachadiva
08-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Water.

Seriously, there are water based moisturizers since water is true moisture. Oil isn't moisture. It just coats the hair and makes it feel slick. Check out Oyin's Greg Juice and see their list of ingredients. It's a water based moisturizer.

Be forewarned, your hair will not feel the same, slick way as with oil. It doesn't mean your hair is dry. It's just not oiled up.

OT Rant:

We, as a community, have a history of using hair grease. We've be taught that the greasy feeling equals moisture. It doesn't. You can still have dry hair (strands) even if coated in oil. Then add to it that we are generally afraid of getting our hair wet. Black people forgo real moisture (water) and instead will coat out hair in oil/grease. That greasy feeling lulls us into a false belief that our hair is moisturized.

tip757
08-18-2011, 01:52 PM
I used to do just water sprays but my hair felt dry and looked dry....when I started incorporating oil to seal the water in they looked moisturized and felt softer... Just using water to spray in my hair while it was warm outside was a no no because my hair would be dry within an hour. When I oil it stays moisturized for about a week.

Claire76
08-18-2011, 01:58 PM
there are water based moisturizers since water is true moisture. Oil isn't moisture. It just coats the hair and makes it feel slick. Check out Oyin's Greg Juice and see their list of ingredients. It's a water based moisturizer.(:-)One of the ingredients in Oyin's "juices" is glycerin. A lot of people use that in spritzes on their hair.

Im so tired of oil. Im tired of it running down my face, I'm tired of it running in my ear so when I pull my phone away I see a big oil stain on the cover. Even when I try not to put a lot, it still seems to roll down my neck. Im just tired of the messiness.
So basically I wanna know if there are other ways to moisturize locks without oil? Why would you put so much oil in your hair that it runs down your face? (I'm asking in earnest, not trying to sound ignorant.) All a person needs is a little bit.

chachadiva
08-18-2011, 02:07 PM
I used to do just water sprays but my hair felt dry and looked dry.

It looked and felt...natural. The oil gave it the greasy feel and shiny look to which we've all grown accustomed. A little oil has its place, but we could get by with much less. :p

KoilyLocGirl
08-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm with Chacha and Claire on this. If oil is running down your face it definitely sounds as if you're using too much. You may want to change the oil your using, or use less of the one that you're using. All oils are not created equal. Coconut oil especially is very easily absorbed, whereas in my experience, castor oil and even olive oil not so much. The latter two are great for sealing after a water based spritz though.

Also, as Chacha said, I think a lot of us have become used to the feel of greased hair and need to retrain our minds away from that.

tip757
08-18-2011, 02:46 PM
(:-)One of the ingredients in Oyin's "juices" is glycerin. A lot of people use that in spritzes on their hair.

Why would you put so much oil in your hair that it runs down your face? (I'm asking in earnest, not trying to sound ignorant.) All a person needs is a little bit.

I don't put that much oil in my hair. I think its the bottle. I use an oil bottle to get to my scalp, especially when Im doing a pre-poo trying to get to every little section of my hair.

coalblacklocs
08-18-2011, 03:02 PM
what kind of oil are you using? how often are you using it?

spray 100% pure aloe vera juice on my locs and then seal it with castor oil to keep my locs moisturized. I do it once after washing and hardly need it again until after I wash it again. after it dries, it's not greasy and doesn't run. I think castor oil is too thick to be very runny like that any way.

also, for some people, water doesn't do much unless it's sealed in with something. BUT i find that if I used distilled or filtered water, it doesn't leave as dry of a feeling in my hair as plain tap water does.

tip757
08-18-2011, 03:15 PM
what kind of oil are you using? how often are you using it?

spray 100% pure aloe vera juice on my locs and then seal it with castor oil to keep my locs moisturized. I do it once after washing and hardly need it again until after I wash it again. after it dries, it's not greasy and doesn't run. I think castor oil is too thick to be very runny like that any way.

also, for some people, water doesn't do much unless it's sealed in with something. BUT i find that if I used distilled or filtered water, it doesn't leave as dry of a feeling in my hair as plain tap water does.

I like to mix coconut, jojoba, grapeseed, almond and avocado oil together.

So do you mix the aloe vera juice with water and then spray? Or just spray it on your hair in its natural form and then seal it with castor oil?

coalblacklocs
08-18-2011, 03:41 PM
I just spray the way it comes in the bottle. Personally, yeah, I found coconut oil to be very greasy on my hair. I know a lot of people love it, but I do not. I've tried jojoba oil, I liked that too. I never tried the rest you mention.

I like the way castor oil thick so you don't need to use it that often. My hair loves castor oil, and it's cheap and easy to find. (I know people at the walmart and drug stores where I get it, and the aloe juice must think i have so many, er, gastrointestinal issues, though. ) it works better for me if i put the aloe juice and castor oil seperately. LIke, not mix it together in the bottle. but actually spray the aloe juice first, then put castor oil on is when it works the best for me.

chachadiva
08-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Also, as Chacha said, I think a lot of us have become used to the feel of greased hair and need to retrain our minds away from that.
Yep. We have to remember that getting that "greased feeling" doesn't work for locks since that would mean packing on grease and that will embed within the lock. It will be very difficult to get impacted, embedded oil out of the locks.

coalblacklocs
08-18-2011, 03:55 PM
it's really worth a shot to try a jug of distilled water, too. (that is, if you don't have a filtered shower head or anything like that). You'd be surprised at the difference the water you're using makes too. Tap water can have stuff in it that our hair doesn't like and dries it out more. then some folks find themselves piling on products to combat that thinking they're hair is dry, when really it's the hard water drying it out.

Distilled water doesn't have any of that stuff in it, and it's cheap to try out to see if you notice a difference. after you rinse with that, it may make a huge difference as to what products and how much you need for your hair once you start with a clean base free of minerals and hard water issues.

Natural Stylist
08-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Tea. Use teas. Rosemary works as a good conditioner.

DeBe
08-18-2011, 09:52 PM
OP, several people have said you're using too much oil, and while you're insisting you don't use much, the fact is, if it's enough to dip, then it's too much.

DeBe

mimikins
08-19-2011, 01:20 AM
I use Lily of the Desert aloe vera gel and water on days that I don't feel like using oil. I have heard that aloe vera juice is a good substitute for glycerin.

Butterflylocs
08-19-2011, 01:58 AM
I stopped using oil. Now I use Oyin's hair dew. Loves it.

tip757
08-19-2011, 02:29 AM
I stopped using oil. Now I use Oyin's hair dew. Loves it.

Ill look that up.

blukat
08-19-2011, 07:23 AM
Spritz with rose water - it's a humectant (draws moisture) and it smells lovely.

jahzbuttafly
08-19-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree cha-cha!
I drench my locs every morning! I have renewed my relationship w/QB Olive and Honey Hydrating Balm and then seal w/jojoba or sweet almond and my locs look and feel so nourished!

Water.

Seriously, there are water based moisturizers since water is true moisture. Oil isn't moisture. It just coats the hair and makes it feel slick. Check out Oyin's Greg Juice and see their list of ingredients. It's a water based moisturizer.

Be forewarned, your hair will not feel the same, slick way as with oil. It doesn't mean your hair is dry. It's just not oiled up.

OT Rant:

We, as a community, have a history of using hair grease. We've be taught that the greasy feeling equals moisture. It doesn't. You can still have dry hair (strands) even if coated in oil. Then add to it that we are generally afraid of getting our hair wet. Black people forgo real moisture (water) and instead will coat out hair in oil/grease. That greasy feeling lulls us into a false belief that our hair is moisturized.

wcc181
08-20-2011, 04:05 AM
I was just about to say try aloe vera juice or get an actual plant and spilt the plant and use the gel from inside thats what i do to moisturize my locs.

coalblacklocs
08-20-2011, 05:45 AM
I keep checking back on this thread to see if you found something that works for you.

remember all oils were not created equal.

during my trial and error, i tried each oil seperately (or, in the case of essential oils, in combination with a base oil which i was already very familiar with the effects in my hair). That way I knew exactly which oil was not working for me.

The properties of all oils are different and because one oil doesn't work or makes your hair greasy doesn't mean another one will.

or, it could very well be that oils don't work for you period. oil is just for sealing the moisture in that's already there, and, as others have mentioned, other things can do that too, like glycerin. but once you know how each individual item works in your hair, it will be easier to customize your routine to something that works for you.

rajincajunfire
08-20-2011, 06:20 PM
I just started using Oyin's Shampoo Bars, and I totally recommend it! My hair is usually super dry after using shampoo, but this was very moist and I didn't even use conditioner afterwards.

Dolliesdaughter
08-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I just spritz my hair with water every morning. Although I may try Rose Water now.

KB
08-22-2011, 09:10 PM
EFF OILS :(o) !!! I think my hair likes cremes better anyways.

Lately I've been using the Pantene Relaxed & Natural Daily Oil Cream which is cool. But last night my mom put the Organic Root hair lotion (or creme, not sure) after my retwist which my hair is currently lovin'!

IvonNappy
09-08-2011, 03:17 AM
OP, perhaps you should switch to using an "oil sheen" spray, instead of just a regular oil. Use a waterbased spritz to moisturize your hair, massage the water throughout you locks and then spray them (lightly) and smooth you locks afterwards.

NeverGiveup
09-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I don't use oil at all in the summer--just rinse rinse rinse.

In the winter I like castor oil, about twice a week, and a dime size amount does my entire head.

erikanatural22
09-14-2011, 07:31 PM
You don't need any oil on your scalp. Who told you that? Lol...that only clogs your hair follicles and suffocates your scalp. My hair is dry but that's because I have been neglecting it lately...My hair is moist when I eat well and spritz with herbal water (which you can make yourself) or leave in conditioner. I don't use oil, never liked it.

thefineprint
09-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I agree that oil on the scalp isn't necessary. And if oil is dripping down your face then you are using far too much. A dime size amount of castor oil does the trick for me and my locks are shoulder length now

hersheykisses26
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I too am having problems with moisture. I was wondering, do you think s-curl could possibly help this? I used this for my fro, and it was the thing that kept it the softest. The only thing i'd be worried about is the fact that i'm only 4 months in and i don't want any slipping or unraveling to happen but i really don't want dry locs :-\

KB
10-25-2011, 09:04 PM
EFF OILS :(o) !!! I think my hair likes cremes better anyways.

Lately I've been using the Pantene Relaxed & Natural Daily Oil Cream which is cool. But last night my mom put the Organic Root hair lotion (or creme, not sure) after my retwist which my hair is currently lovin'!

^BLAH BLAH BLAH!! 8)

Coconut Oil seems to be working best for me. And it doesn't drip down my face, it emulsfies in my hands. Nice and light and it nourishes my hair. Back to basics.

creativity
11-15-2011, 03:26 PM
*Slightly off the OPs topic

^ I see people using coconut oil in their locs but I wonder.. since it is solid at room temp... is it good to use in your locs? Over time that could be embed in the loc correct?

KB
11-15-2011, 04:13 PM
No, coconut emulsifies in the palm of your hand once you rub it together. Trust me honey! ;)

creativity
11-16-2011, 02:52 PM
^Lol okay! I've seen someone use water and coconut oil in a spray bottle but could not understand how the oil stayed in liquid form.

creativity
11-16-2011, 03:04 PM
You don't need any oil on your scalp. Who told you that? Lol...that only clogs your hair follicles and suffocates your scalp. My hair is dry but that's because I have been neglecting it lately...My hair is moist when I eat well and spritz with herbal water (which you can make yourself) or leave in conditioner. I don't use oil, never liked it.

Whats in your herbal spritz please?

Karibana
11-16-2011, 03:19 PM
*Slightly off the OPs topic

^ I see people using coconut oil in their locs but I wonder.. since it is solid at room temp... is it good to use in your locs? Over time that could be embed in the loc correct?

^Lol okay! I've seen someone use water and coconut oil in a spray bottle but could not understand how the oil stayed in liquid form.

I use it as a pre poo in a coconut oil/coconut milk mix. It will harden at room temps but it doesn't require a significantly high temperature to remain liquid form either so as long as the milk is warm, it won't revert back to solid form.

As far as moisturizing, I use castor oil as a sealant.

creativity
11-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks Kari! I am using some Qhems castor and moringa oil after washing. It leaves by baby locs supple but I am still tweaking my daily spritz mix.

*wishes I would have never combed out locs

luvmylocstx
11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
this is my 2nd set of locs and now i have sisterlocks so oils aren't really encouraged. i spray my hair with jane carter solution revitalizing leave-in, oyin honey water (it's for the body but i like the scent and ingredients) or plain distilled water. all work great, no build up. i have a little sprayer in my purse and i'll spritz during the day if i feel like i need it. just like we need to drink water throughout the day, my hair can use a little pick me up during the day.

for my scalp when i get a little itchy i use a little of the jane carter solution scalp nourishing serum. it's super light and has essential oils. it comes with a little dropper. i little goes a long way. i barely apply a few drops then massage with my finger tips. aaahhhh....

it's possible if you've used heavy oils or butters in the past that moisture isn't able to penetrate your locs. you may need a good cleansing, detox and to go lighter so the moisture (i.e. water based products) have a chance to get in. when i was palm rolling my traditonal locs at the end i finally was just using plain old aloe vera gel. it worked great and enhanced the moisture level of my locs.

Reese72
11-25-2011, 05:05 PM
For some time, I've mixed up a hair tea to condition my hair and scalp, and it works for me. I find that I don't have to use oils or other products to moisturize my hair, however I will use a very small amount to give it extra shine. When it's very hot or cold outside, I will use a little something on my ends as they tend to be the most dry part of my hair. I am locing, but my ends stay curly/wavy/coily. I like the look or curly ends on locs. Anyway, if you're interested, my hair tea is as follows.....

Boil about anywhere from a half cup to a cup or so of water. If your hair is really long and thick, you may need to boil more water. Once you have a rolling boil, add about a tablespoon of dried rosemary leaves, about a half to a full teaspoon of dried thyme leaves OR ground thyme. Let this boil for about 1 minute. Push to the side and let steep until cool or for a whole day in the fridge. Strain with a cheese cloth, or paper towel, into your spritz bottle. Squeeze the soaked tea from the cloth or paper towel into your bottle. Sometimes, if there is room in my bottle, I will fill the rest with spring water. It's not necessary though. Undiluted may work best. I add about 5-7 drops of Peppermint EO, 2-3 drops of Ylang Ylang EO(for scent, but is also good for hair growth), and 10-11 drops of Lavender EO. Shake as you spritz your hair.

This conditions my scalp enough that I don't have bothersome itchy scalp and flakes. It also stimulates hair follicles for growth. It also conditions my hair so it may also work as a leave in conditioner. I used to add a carrier oil to this mix, but felt that the extra oil on my scalp was too much. Now, I just spritz my scalp and hair with this mix and just rub a little oil on my hair 1-3 times a week for shine and to seal. I just made a fresh batch and added ground clove for extra scalp stimulation. If you don't use ground clove, 1-2 drops of Clove Bud EO may be a good substitute.

You want to be careful with Rosemary and Clove Bud. Rosemary may raise your blood pressure a little bit, and don't use it if you're pregnant. Clove is very potent and can be toxic if you overdo it. I've never used more than 2 drops of Clove Bud EO in anything so far. Very potent EO.

creativity
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
I had this spritz before I loced my hair and decided to try it the other day. This stuff so far is amazing. Its very light comes out in a fine mist and really quite conditioning. It leaves my hair quite soft to the touch but again I am only at 2 months and 1 week or so. Some of the softer hair in the back of my head actually felt like it detangled. This stuff works incredibly well. I tried it first on dry hair and it worked well. Last night I shampooed and applied a dab of castor oil and spritzed. Worked well either way.

http://www.sagenaturalceuticals.com/shop/db1019.html

Coily_Crown
01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
For some time, I've mixed up a hair tea to condition my hair and scalp, and it works for me. I find that I don't have to use oils or other products to moisturize my hair, however I will use a very small amount to give it extra shine. When it's very hot or cold outside, I will use a little something on my ends as they tend to be the most dry part of my hair. I am locing, but my ends stay curly/wavy/coily. I like the look or curly ends on locs. Anyway, if you're interested, my hair tea is as follows.....

Boil about anywhere from a half cup to a cup or so of water. If your hair is really long and thick, you may need to boil more water. Once you have a rolling boil, add about a tablespoon of dried rosemary leaves, about a half to a full teaspoon of dried thyme leaves OR ground thyme. Let this boil for about 1 minute. Push to the side and let steep until cool or for a whole day in the fridge. Strain with a cheese cloth, or paper towel, into your spritz bottle. Squeeze the soaked tea from the cloth or paper towel into your bottle. Sometimes, if there is room in my bottle, I will fill the rest with spring water. It's not necessary though. Undiluted may work best. I add about 5-7 drops of Peppermint EO, 2-3 drops of Ylang Ylang EO(for scent, but is also good for hair growth), and 10-11 drops of Lavender EO. Shake as you spritz your hair.

This conditions my scalp enough that I don't have bothersome itchy scalp and flakes. It also stimulates hair follicles for growth. It also conditions my hair so it may also work as a leave in conditioner. I used to add a carrier oil to this mix, but felt that the extra oil on my scalp was too much. Now, I just spritz my scalp and hair with this mix and just rub a little oil on my hair 1-3 times a week for shine and to seal. I just made a fresh batch and added ground clove for extra scalp stimulation. If you don't use ground clove, 1-2 drops of Clove Bud EO may be a good substitute.

You want to be careful with Rosemary and Clove Bud. Rosemary may raise your blood pressure a little bit, and don't use it if you're pregnant. Clove is very potent and can be toxic if you overdo it. I've never used more than 2 drops of Clove Bud EO in anything so far. Very potent EO.
I tried Reese72's hair tea recipe and it is wonderful! I wore my locs in an updo that week and I had no problems with itching or irritation! Good looking out!

NappySoft
02-07-2012, 02:39 AM
I have found that prolonged rinsing helps tremendously. I also use a leave in conditioner called The Knot.

I also make sure I have absolutely no product build-up in my locs. To clean my hair thoroughly without drying it out, I wash with Dr Bronners castile soap (a quarter or smaller circle in my hand applied to sopping wet hair. I part the locs and rub it in the scalp section by section then apply to rest of hair and wash it good then rinse it for 20 mins)

PRoduct build up can make your locs dry or provent them from getting moisture in them.

uzuri
04-24-2012, 05:38 PM
So basically I wanna know if there are other ways to moisturize locks without oil?

OP, several people have said you're using too much oil, and while you're insisting you don't use much, the fact is, if it's enough to dip, then it's too much.

DeBe

ITA with what DeBe says....:D

Claire76
04-27-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't put that much oil in my hair. I think its the bottle. I use an oil bottle to get to my scalp, especially when Im doing a pre-poo trying to get to every little section of my hair.

When it comes to any oil that I use, I squeeze it into my hand/on my fingers and rub my hands together prior to distribution. No matter what kind of bottle it's in, you have the power to control the amount of oil that gets into your hair.;)

lashan_k
06-04-2012, 04:48 AM
This was an excellent topic! There is so much money spent and confusion on all of these products when just the simple basics will do.