PDA

View Full Version : Free DNA Testing for African-Americans (23andme)

etifaim
08-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Let me start this off by saying this is NOT spam. My username is etifaim (have also used aphrocyntryc) and I've been a member of Nappturality since 2007. :)

I have already sent in my saliva for testing with the 23andme lab (along with my SO pictured in my avatar).

I received the following link from a friend via email:
Roots into the Future (https://www.23andme.com/roots/)

23andMe is offering free DNA testing (a $399 value) for 10,000 African Americans to increase understanding of how DNA plays a role in health in wellness, specifically for the black community. So far only about 1,000 people of African descent have signed up.

Not only can you discover what diseases you have high/low/moderate risk for (so you can be proactive about your health), but it will also trace your genealogy so you can find our your ancestral origins.

If you are interested, check out the link I posted above, give them your email address, and if you are one of the remaining 9,000 selected, you will receive a code to activate your account and order your testing kit to put your saliva in and send back to the 23andMe lab. Once again, this is at no cost to you.

Note: According to the website, only those who identify themselves as African-American, Afro-Carribean, Black, or African can take advantage of this offer. The lab will find out if non-black individuals try to abuse this offer.

SkittleMiss
08-22-2011, 07:33 AM
Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

Scribetastic
08-22-2011, 12:08 PM
Hmmmm, between being adopted and being black American, I've really wanted to get a DNA test to pin something down. ;)

Thanks for the link. I'm on the site right now. Let's see if I'm one of the first 10,000!

Either way, it seems like a very good project because we do need more research focused on us.

LBellatrix
08-22-2011, 12:24 PM
I signed up...haven't heard anything yet...

RaeShouna
08-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I signed up too. The moment I read the title of your thread I said I'm game....I've been wanting to do this since I found out about it a couple of years ago but never had the money to do it so this would be a great opportunity to find out lots of answers. Hope I'm chosen.

Princess Pamplemousse
08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Very Cool :) Thanks so much for sharing. I've always wanted to try DNA testing but I could never afford it. Hope I'm one of the chosen!

thePerfectFool
08-22-2011, 01:56 PM
I signed up, and I'm eagerly waiting for my email

Akomas_Angel
08-22-2011, 02:26 PM
I signed up too. I'd love to be chosen for something like this.

Himmy
08-22-2011, 02:45 PM
I signed up. :)

Batyah
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
I've heard of this study. My Mom got information from 23andme as well as dnatribes.com. She's already sent in her DNA information and is waiting on her results.

Stargazer2893
08-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Signed up! I'm obsessed with DNA! Thanks!

etifaim
08-22-2011, 10:42 PM
Good luck ladies! I hope you are selected :)

GalaxyGirl2012
08-22-2011, 10:59 PM
i signed up as well.. hope i'm selected :)

Olahh
08-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Cool, waiting for a email back.

CinnamonBiscuit
09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Cool. I've been wanting to try to get my DNA tested, and I'd LOVE to find out where my ancestors are from (although looking at pics of different Africans, I get a feeling I could be descended from people from Cameroon and Ghana).:)

ShanaREX
09-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Cool. I've been wanting to try to get my DNA tested, and I'd LOVE to find out where my ancestors are from (although looking at pics of different Africans, I get a feeling I could be descended from people from Cameroon and Ghana).:)

I have tested with 23andme. Let me warn you, the test does not tell you which region your ancestors came from. You will get your mtDNA (this can give you some idea of where your maternal line originated) and a VERY general break down of your ancestries (African, European, and Asian). One of the bizarre things about this test is that they classify North Africans and East Africans as European. This can throw your ancestry analysis off.

Another thing to consider is that if you want to take the test to find out if you have Native American ancestry, you shouldn't bother (if you are paying out of your own pocket). Because of the inadequate genetic sampling of African Americans (we have extremely diverse genes); the method they use does not really work on us. For example: I have a Native American grandmother on my father's side. According to 23andme, my Asian DNA (Native American in my case) is only 4%.

All in all, this test is a great test for people new to genetic testing. Also, it is free if you can get into the study. Just don't expect it to pinpoint which African tribe you belong to. There are better (and more expensive :( ) tests for that part of the equation. I hope this helps...

CinnamonBiscuit
09-08-2011, 03:50 PM
^^^

That did help. :)

cocoacvrdkisses
09-10-2011, 06:24 AM
Thanks Ladies for sharing.. I am excited to see if I get picked..

Fedyfro
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I received my kit a few weeks ago but haven't submitted yet. I understand one of the key functions of this test is to help deal with diseases impacting our community. I believe they ask you to participate in the surveys and complete questionnaires to assist in that effort.

For genealogical information I have found FTDNA and African Ancestry tests to be quite helpful.

afrochica
09-12-2011, 10:19 PM
My sister signed up for this last year. We found out some interesting results. We always thought we had Indian (Native American lol) in our DNA. It turned out that we were 70% African and 30% European. No trace of Native American at all. It's really nice to really know where your family comes from!

We also learned that we were at risk for Breast Cancer, Restless Leg Syndrome and Celiac Disease. These are diseases that we had no idea we were at risk.

Fuesha
09-17-2011, 04:15 AM
signed up...tks! :)

Mojito Chica
09-23-2011, 12:13 AM
I just received an email saying the Root is offering a code for a free test until December 31, 2011. The code is QDPEBG, and the article is here (http://www.theroot.com/views/company-offers-blacks-free-dna-testing-ancestry-info). I signed up and didn't need to enter any credit card info. I'll update when the test shows up.

Scribetastic
09-23-2011, 12:15 AM
I just received an email saying the Root is offering a code for a free test until December 31, 2011. The code is QDPEBG, and the article is here (http://www.theroot.com/views/company-offers-blacks-free-dna-testing-ancestry-info). I signed up and didn't need to enter any credit card info. I'll update when the test shows up.
Heh!

I was just running in to post that. ;) I just got that email too. I went ahead, ordered and enrolled.

Drumchick34
09-23-2011, 12:46 AM
I just ordered as well! :)

CinnamonBiscuit
09-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Got the email from them, too. :)

Fuesha
09-23-2011, 01:11 AM
Yep got the email too! Signed up and ordered one for me and the beau!
I thought once you got to check out they were going to ask for a credit card or something at least for shipping but nope! $0 for everything! Awesome!

Cant wait!

RaeShouna
09-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Sigh I got no email :-| but I signed up anyway :D.

Princess Pamplemousse
09-23-2011, 02:04 AM
I ordered for me, my mom and my dad. :D I don't trust both of them to turn theirs in lol

Akomas_Angel
09-23-2011, 02:56 AM
Aww man, I can't order the kit. The website won't allow me to add it to my cart. I'll try it again later.

Puffalishous
09-23-2011, 03:02 PM
I came flying in here to post but you ladies beat me to it!!

Stargazer2893
09-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Woohoo!!! :) Just ordered mine.

vonede
09-23-2011, 03:52 PM
I just ordered too, can't wait to get it!

Akomas_Angel
09-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Whoot-whoot! I got my order in and I'm so excited. I think I may just go on and order one for my dad. He can't be trusted to do the right thing. *smh*

RaeShouna
09-27-2011, 02:21 AM
Mine came in and I'm anxious...I will do it tomorrow though so I can do it right. I haven't told my family I'm doing this because they are mostly not interested in things like this( some of them). Put it like this if they had to pay they wouldn't do it even if they had the money:-|
dah well:)

Drumchick34
09-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Mine came in the mail! The spitting was easier than I thought hehe.

vonede
09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Mine came in the mail yesterday, I am surprised it arrived so soon. I will open it later this week.

ChelWren
09-27-2011, 11:27 PM
The code posted is not working for me, is it no longer valid?

ETA: NVM, I checked the Facebook page and the offer is maxed out. I'm disappointed that I missed this opportunity.

rootruth
09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
I just received mine in the mail today. Is anyone else a NY state resident? & if so how are you returning your kit to the lab since we aren't allowed to mail the kit back from inside of NY??? :-|

I mean, I could make an out of state road trip or something but I'll probably just wait until I'm moving back to VA this December.

Princess Pamplemousse
09-27-2011, 11:51 PM
I just received mine in the mail today. Is anyone else a NY state resident? & if so how are you returning your kit to the lab since we aren't allowed to mail the kit back from inside of NY??? :-|

I mean, I could make an out of state road trip or something but I'll probably just wait until I'm moving back to VA this December.

Be mindful of the dates. I think they're not accepting any more kits (purchased with a code) after a certain day in December.

au napptural
09-28-2011, 12:38 AM
I think I've missed this. I'm heartbroken, I've always wanted to have my background traced.

rootruth
09-28-2011, 01:35 AM
Be mindful of the dates. I think they're not accepting any more kits (purchased with a code) after a certain day in December.

Yes, according to The Root article, the limited enrollment lasts until December 31st, 2011.

Scribetastic
09-28-2011, 01:41 AM
I got my kit today, but left it in the mailbox. I'm excited! I'll do whatever it is I'm supposed to do tonight. I think you've got to register the code and then, basically, follow the direction and spit. ;)

CinnamonBiscuit
09-30-2011, 08:37 PM
I checked the mail today and found a kit in there. I registered it and mailed it back to them today.

Beryl
09-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Sending this info to my deceased father's brother so he can do the mtDNA test. I did this several years ago and found out that my mother's line is Tikar of the Cameroon (like Quincy Jones). I don't want anymore Y-DNA tests after my mother's brother took us to Hungary, Spain, and one other European country.

I thought her side of the family had a better paternal chance of going to Africa but I guess some Heinz 57 white guy got in the mix. Oh well.

iSmilez
10-09-2011, 04:38 PM
This sounds exciting. Thanks for the info.

Drumchick34
10-19-2011, 10:38 PM
I got my results back today! It is really interesting!

vonede
10-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Did they mail the results to you or did you have to go on the website to find them out?

Beryl
10-19-2011, 11:34 PM
I got my results back today! It is really interesting!

Do tell! What country/tribe?

Drumchick34
10-20-2011, 03:13 AM
They just send an email saying that your results are in and then you go to the website and it is all on your profile.

It just said Western Africa. It also said that I am most likely lactose intolerant which might explain the horrible gut problems I have had for a long time now hehe. I have wasted an hour or two looking at the reports!

Beryl
10-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Hmmmm. They are not providing the same results as African Ancestry did when I took the test 5 years ago. They used to send a book in the mail about the country (ies) and identified your actual tribe. You also got a certificate.

Drumchick34
10-20-2011, 10:40 AM
Wow that is really cool that they identified countries for you! 23andMe was really vague about that part. I was hoping I would be 100% African and I am really close to that! :)

Beryl
10-20-2011, 12:44 PM
Wow that is really cool that they identified countries for you! 23andMe was really vague about that part. I was hoping I would be 100% African and I am really close to that! :)

I took another DNA test to determine my ethnic makeup and I am over 80% Sub Saharan African. :D The rest is just European -- no Native American or anything else interesting.

Sounds like there are a lot of different companies doing these now.

RaeShouna
10-20-2011, 02:56 PM
@ Beryl If you do not mind me asking what was the test called where they determined your ethnic makeup and about how much did it cost?

Beryl
10-20-2011, 08:37 PM
@ Beryl If you do not mind me asking what was the test called where they determined your ethnic makeup and about how much did it cost?

Don't mind at all but I'll have to search around for all of that. I moved since the tests and the documents are buried. I do remember that it was about same cost as African Ancestry at the time $250-300.

RaeShouna
10-21-2011, 02:33 AM
Okay cool. I've been very interested about my family's background and unfortunately most of our elders have past on and those who are still with us are not very reliable. Plus my family is from a small town in SC sooooo we basically have no records that can be accessed beyond my grandparents (born around 1939 and after). I have my great-grandfathers names but not their wives or mothers...but I will get there...... eventually.

Drumchick34
10-21-2011, 01:45 PM
I am over 80% African too (83%)! :)

Beryl
10-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I am over 80% African too (83%)! :)

Tee hee. It think I have a percentage over you. I don't remember for sure. :D

RaeShouna
10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Got my results!!!!!

I am 88% african:D

Scribetastic
10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
It looks like I've got exactly what I thought I'd have: the average AA breakdown.

88% African, 10% white (damn rapists), and 2% Asian (native American, I'm sure). If the ancestry painting is right. Then it looks like one parent has most African and white DNA and the other had mostly African and Asian DNA. (I'm adopted, so I won't be able to drill down any further unless I took a more comprehensive DNA test.)

Interesting trade off. I'm glad I did it.

CinnamonBiscuit
10-27-2011, 07:00 PM
Never got any results back from them in the mail (:-|) but I'm on the website:

77% African

19% European

4% Asian

Scribetastic
10-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Never got any results back from them in the mail (:-|) but I'm on the website:

77% African

19% European

4% Asian
I never thought they sent the results via mail? Did I miss that?

CinnamonBiscuit
10-27-2011, 10:45 PM
^^^

I just figured that since they sent the kit through the mail they'd do the same with results. :-))

My results didn't specify any tribes (which I expected, after reading one of the comments here), but it was confirmed that maternally, my African ancestry is mostly from West Africa (even showed on the little map where the genetic matches were strongest, which confirmed my own suspicions).:)

However, I'd have to get a kit for my dad to find out my paternal side.

I also found out I'm apparently at increased risk for an age-related eye issue and something related to the heart. Those were the two biggest medical-whatevers that showed up for my results.

CinnamonBiscuit
10-27-2011, 11:03 PM
Anyone else, on the 23andMe website, have genetic relatives that weren't expected?:-))

vonede
10-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Did any of you take the surveys? I would like to know if that is why I haven't gotten my results yet, I've only taken a few of them.

Scribetastic
10-28-2011, 03:59 AM
^^^

I just figured that since they sent the kit through the mail they'd do the same with results. :-))

My results didn't specify any tribes (which I expected, after reading one of the comments here), but it was confirmed that maternally, my African ancestry is mostly from West Africa (even showed on the little map where the genetic matches were strongest, which confirmed my own suspicions).:)

However, I'd have to get a kit for my dad to find out my paternal side.

I also found out I'm apparently at increased risk for an age-related eye issue and something related to the heart. Those were the two biggest medical-whatevers that showed up for my results.

They're already sending us kits and testing our DNA for free. I don't think they're also going to pay for postage to send us results. Plus, it's much more secure for people to retrieve it online.

It says I'm at a higher risk for an eye disease later in life. I guess it's good that I'm traveling as much as I can now. ;)

Did any of you take the surveys? I would like to know if that is why I haven't gotten my results yet, I've only taken a few of them.

I don't think that makes much of a difference. I answered a few questions, but I've not taken all of the surveys they've got on the site. I do plan on going in and completing a few. It's the least I can do in exchange of the info they've given me.

CinnamonBiscuit
10-28-2011, 04:44 AM
I've taken most of the surveys (some I can't, because I'm too young) but they probably just haven't finished testing your DNA if you don't have your results yet.

Drumchick34
10-29-2011, 03:06 AM
Is anyone part of the L1b1a haplogroup?

Scribetastic
10-29-2011, 04:42 AM
Is anyone part of the L1b1a haplogroup?
I'm L1c1a too.

What's weird is the relative finder. I've got someone who wants contact. Since I'm adopted, it just occurred to me that this could be really good for me. ;)

KnottyAuthor
10-29-2011, 11:53 AM
I signed up and rc'd an email that they need to figure out how to 'expand' and when they do they'll let me know. I hope they do bc I paid for my hubby to get this last year and I PAID!! I'd love to know where I"m from now. He's part Scottland (Paternal slave master genes, lol) and Ginea (maternal side.) that was exciting because he never knew his father. To give him that gift meant a lot.

Drumchick34
10-29-2011, 12:54 PM
Scribetastic, I was adopted too and there are only a couple black people on my relative finder and the rest are Northern European people. I have to admit I was kind of hoping a close relative (like an aunt, one of my sisters or my mom) was going to be on there just by coincidence lol.

Scribetastic
10-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Scribetastic, I was adopted too and there are only a couple black people on my relative finder and the rest are Northern European people. I have to admit I was kind of hoping a close relative (like an aunt, one of my sisters or my mom) was going to be on there just by coincidence lol.

I've got some white lady listed as a 4th cousin. I think that's the point of this: they've got to collect more DNA from blacks. I've only got people like 3rd and 4th cousins listed now though.

Drumchick34
10-29-2011, 03:12 PM
I just uploaded my DNA results on gedmatch.com (it is free) and got some different results. Apparently on 23andme they count Northern and East African as European.

The eye color predictor on gedmatch was way off for me! It said I most likely have green eyes...ha!

Scribetastic
10-29-2011, 03:58 PM
I just uploaded my DNA results on gedmatch.com (it is free) and got some different results. Apparently on 23andme they count Northern and East African as European.

The eye color predictor on gedmatch was way off for me! It said I most likely have green eyes...ha!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Thanks for the info on that page! However, if I also get some wonky results, I'm going to ignore it. ;)

vonede
11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I got my results today!

81% African
17% European
3% Asian

Other than that I am still reading the site to try to fully comprehend my results.

CinnamonBiscuit
11-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Dang, I've got the least amount of African in me of all the percentage results posted so far. Not surprising, but still sad. :-))

vonede
11-09-2011, 04:03 AM
I just noticed mine equals 101%, I wonder why is that?

Akomas_Angel
11-09-2011, 08:16 AM
I haven't gotten my results yet. I sent my kit off later since I thought I'd lost the darn thing. I found it and sent it off last week so we shall see. In the meantime I've done all of the surveys that I can take.

Drumchick34
11-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Vonede, I was wondering about that! I thought you just typed it wrong on here.

Drumchick34
11-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have any surprising health results?

Scribetastic
11-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Vonede, I was wondering about that! I thought you just typed it wrong on here.
I'm thinking rounding up can do that, right?

Does anyone have any surprising health results?

Nope! Well, I do have one condition the report says I'm actually less likely to get. I have another though that I'm at a higher percentage of having. I'll going to call that a draw. :)

What's weird or actually predictable even though I didn't foresee it, I'm starting to get relatives popping up in the relative finder section. I went to GenMatch like you suggested.

This could get emotional for me really fast because I've seen myself as alone for so long. It's going to be interesting. That's for sure.

MsShel330
11-24-2011, 05:19 AM
I just received my kit and it's waiting for me to return from Thanksgiving to do it. My dad died in '96 and he had no male relatives alive so I'm hoping that my Mom can do this and I'll rule out her side to find out what I got from him.

ScreenGeniuz
11-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Got mine in the mail the other day. Sending it in tomorrow. I'm type excited!

coalblacklocs
11-26-2011, 01:28 AM
i got one and sent it back, now i'm waiting for results. my husband is sending his back tomorrow, and my dad is doing one too.

etifaim
11-29-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm overdue to post in here, ain't I? ;)

Maternal Haplogroup:L3d1b

Ancestry Painting (based on maternal line): 64% African, 31% European, 5% Asian.

The 31% European is surprising to me since my mother is a darker skinned woman, while my father is light (I realize skin tone is not always indicative of one's ethnic origins). At the same time, my father's parents were biracial (both had Irish parents/grandparents apparently) so it seems there's a lot of European in my family, despite the fact that very few of my relatives look very European/"mixed", at all.

I also realize 23andme's ancestry painting isn't the most accurate out there, so I suppose I'll take this with a grain of salt. For now.

The only high risk I have health-wise is colorectal cancer (5.3% compared to 4.0% average). Everything else is low or typical risk. It's great to be informed!
This is the primary reason I took the test, to be honest.

Drumchick34
11-29-2011, 11:57 PM
I got the same thing for colorectal cancer. The health results were the main reason I took the test as well.

Ms-gg
11-30-2011, 10:18 PM
I hope I didn't miss out! If you are just applying for this, did you use the link in OP or some other means to apply?

Akomas_Angel
11-30-2011, 10:26 PM
I got my results back.

78% African
16% European
6% Asian

I'm in the L2a1 halogroup.

In the relative finder, three people have contacted me already. I cheated and had my friend look them up on facebook so that I could get a good look at them and it freaked me out big time! :-))

What's interesting is that the man from Europe (African/Latin American/European ancestry) and looks just my dad's brother.

The man from Michigan looks just like my brother. He's adopted and doesn't know much about his ancestry.

The woman (Creek Indian/Sri Lankin/North African) looks just like me, but is a lighter complexion.

Mojito Chica
12-01-2011, 12:55 AM
I have had the kit, but now I don't know if I want to submit it for the results {o

FaithNPraise
12-01-2011, 01:12 AM
I have had the kit, but now I don't know if I want to submit it for the results {o
This right heeeer! )8-|

Beryl
12-01-2011, 08:31 PM

At least you are fully prepared for being > 20% African. :D

I warned my "I'm blacker than er-body" uncle but he still went into deep depression when he got his Patriclan test back.

Akomas_Angel
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Is anyone else communicating with people through the relative finder? I've gotten so many messages from people on there, but it feels weird to correspond with strangers digging all through your family history.

Pyvsi
12-01-2011, 09:17 PM
*warning* very unpleasant tin-foil-hat thoughts to follow...

but on another thread, someone on another thread threw the wild idea out there that these researches collecting data on Black DNA are probably (whether they realize it or not) pawns of a more sinister agenda for developing biological weapons that will strategically target us...

Okie dokie got that out of my system, back to happy thoughts...

Akomas_Angel
12-01-2011, 09:39 PM
^
My conspiracy mind thought about that, but then I thought they've been doing that for centuries to no avail. Plue, this isn't anything that they couldn't get from large numbers of vulnerable black populations without even telling them what they are doing with their dna, i.e. prisoners, welfare recipients, Medicare recipients, government workers, hospital and military personnel. So I ain’t worried about it.