PDA

View Full Version : Coloring Your Locs

luvlilocs
07-09-2004, 04:11 AM
Okay, my loced sistas! For those who color, how often do you color your locs? What is the best shampoo to use (if any)? What is your maintenance routine since you colored your locs? I just dyed mine jet black with a semi-permanent dye (my hair was black at roots and dark, dark brown throughout the locs naturally). I love it but I'm not sure if I have to take care of my hair differently now.

Any suggestions or tips?? :rolleyes

goldilocs
07-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Right after I color my locs, I use a good pH balanced shampoo and neutralizer. I never use color that has amonia or any other harmful ingredients that could damage my locs -- I usually use something natural like Herbatint or Naturtint when I color.

After that, I use a good moisturizing conditioner and follow-up with my regular routine...oil my scalp with a light oil, palm roll/twist locs with a light gel (I use Lock-It-Up gel), clip, dry...DONE!

Hope this helps...

Schiffon
07-09-2004, 01:34 PM
My permanent color had always been done professionally. Since, I've been loced (almost 2 yrs.) I've colored my hair on three occasions. Afterwards, I immediately have a 20 minute stream treatment done. I don't really take care of my hair differently BECAUSE it is colored. The only recent difference is the adddition of a color protectant shampoo and conditioner that I've been using in an attempt to make my color look great for longer. I don't know thus far if it's doing that job; I won't be able to decide that until after the summer is done.

I often condition my locs, so I tend to make sure that I condition (deeply) in the first few weeks after a color, but I already deep condition according to my retwisting schedule.

I've colored my napptural hair for years and thus far, I haven't encountered any problems. When my napptural hair was loose I used to color more frequently.