PDA

View Full Version : Loc noob needs help!

Pokestar
10-14-2011, 04:05 AM
:))))) well i'm going to put a couple locs in my hair dyed different colors (my hair reacts fabulous to hair dye it stays in, and doesnt dry it up)
1.i dont really now how to loc
2.do you need to use product
3.any other advice/referals to vids and such

If it makes a difference my hair is 3a naturally straight hair with nappy roots, the fron part of my hair is medium, and the majority of it the back is coarse, using fias hair system.

Umm thank yous and :) ;)

KnottyAuthor
10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Wow, you have a lot of questions and there is no one simple answer to them. You really need to do some research on your inquiries. But, know that it's better to dye the hair before locking. During the first year and even after, dye can loosen the texture of the lock or deposits can impact the strength of the lock if not applied correctly. Locks are different than loose natural hair and may react differently to dying, so be careful and get it done by a professional in the care of dying locks!

No product is needed for locks, but there's more to it. Different stages of locking allow for different use of product. Product used too soon, once again can detangle locks. The purpose of locking is so the hair can mat and lock into place. If you keep this in mind you are off to a good start. Water is your best friend in the beginning.

Do your research! Never stop reading! Never stop learning. There's so much that it's not possible to answer in one post.

Favoured1
10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
Hey Pokestar! I agree with what KnottyAuthor said and here's my $.02

1. Most common ways to start locs include twisting, braiding, interlocking, or comb coiling your hair. It depends partly on the texture of your hair and the look you are going for. If your hair is a looser coil pattern, choose a method that provides a stronger hold (like braiding or interlocking).

2. You do not not NEED to use products to start or maintain locs. Some people like to use wax or gel for more of a hold when they start locs (especially common for those with looser hair textures). Again, this is NOT necessary BUT if you choose to use product, do so sparingly. You do not want build up and you do not want to attract dust and lint to your hair. If you choose to use product try to make sure they are water-based and easy to wash out. Again..avoid build up.

3. Advice - other than what I've mentioned above, know that locing is a long process that requires patience. Keep it simple and don't do too much (with products or maintenance), even if you're tempted. Also, no matter what anyone tells you, wash your hair often. Locs love water. Locs love cleanliness.

Nuff said from me. Continue researching cuz there's A LOT more to learn.

Happy locing.

Pokestar
10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
Thank you guys:) i tend to panic for no reason.