PDA

View Full Version : Loc Buddy - Virtual

cheeky
10-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Just had 2 strand twists done on 10.20.11 and intend to let them loc. Would be great to share the journey with someone... commiserate, pontificate and CELEBRATE getting "loc'd up". I see a handful of folks posting for a local buddy and while that's nice, it's not necessary for me. We can email, call, text, skype ...whatever you like. :)

Give me a shout if you are

d
o
w
n

jahzbuttafly
10-23-2011, 08:16 AM
Congrats and welcome cheeky!
I am open. I am 5 months into my second set. PM me and I will send you my info. Bless!

peace n blessings sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner.

queenpolite93
10-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Hi Cheeky! I'm down also. Looks like another sistah responded already if you want another loc buddy let me know. I'm starting my locs on Saturday with comb coils... We are only a week apart!

Angelyc
10-27-2011, 01:26 AM
Hi ladies,

I'm also looking for a loc buddy. I'll be starting on Saturday with braids.

mymy1219
10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Well i am new to this site i am starting my locs nov 7 and i would like some loc buddies if possible, i think it will be great for us to share our experiences with one another so anyone would like to also be my buddy i would apppreciate it :)

cheeky
10-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Maybe since we're all starting around the same time, we can keep in touch on this thread as well! Anyone is certainly welcome to PM me.

Yesterday was one week. I completed my first wash. My hair shrank, felt lightweight and the BEST part (aside from the cleanliness), all my twists stayed put!

I'm pleased as punch. Will post some photos in my album here.

Angelyc
10-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Hi ladies!!

I got my braidlocks yesterday! I'm not in love with them yet, but we've got a strong like going on.

Cheeky, what type of shampoo did you use?

cheeky
10-30-2011, 10:49 PM
I started with what I already have sitting in the house. It's Giovanni Tea Tree (clarifying, no sulfate, organic).

I used a clarifying shampoo because my natural stylist used Jamaican Mango & Lime gel/pomade to install my twists, then put me under the dryer to "set".

Been reading about folks with build up & I didn't wanna start out that way. So, my first wash had to get rid of that product. I'm glad she used it though. After washing 1 week in (and rinsing again 3 days later) none of my twists unraveled. When I do my own hair, they don't hold like this. Edit to add: I think the twists are holding up well because she's simply better at it than I am. The product is washed out, after all.

Dunno what products I'm gonna use yet, long term. Was just grabbing what I had in the house.

Angelyc
10-31-2011, 11:14 PM
I pretty much used up or gave away everything I had from my loose hair. LOL I had family members show up like I was having a yard sale.

For right now, I'm using an aloe vera gel and witch hazel spritz on my scalp, water on my hair, and Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo.

queenpolite93
11-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Hi ladies! I started my locs on Saturday with the palm roll method. I had a loctician do them for me. I'm super excited!! I want to make sure they stay moisturized. My stylist wants dosen't want me to wash them for a month. There are so many theories out here for how people think they should be maintained. Is anyone else using the comb coil or palm roll method? It will be great to get support from all of you....stay strong!!

mymy1219
11-01-2011, 05:33 AM
Hi ladies!!

I got my braidlocks yesterday! I'm not in love with them yet, but we've got a strong like going on.

Cheeky, what type of shampoo did you use?

I see they look lovely I know your very excited!!!

mymy1219
11-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Hi ladies! I started my locs on Saturday with the palm roll method. I had a loctician do them for me. I'm super excited!! I want to make sure they stay moisturized. My stylist wants dosen't want me to wash them for a month. There are so many theories out here for how people think they should be maintained. Is anyone else using the comb coil or palm roll method? It will be great to get support from all of you....stay strong!!

Congratulations!!! Happy for you I will soon be joining everyone in one week :)

Angelyc
11-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Queen, are you going to follow the advice about washing your hair? I haven't washed mine yet, but I rinsed them this morning, I know Cheeky has washed her with no problems though, but I've got braids and she's got twists, so I'm not sure about coils. I've been using a spritz of witch hazel and aloe vera gel to fight the itch though, and it's been working pretty well.

Thank you mymy!! How are you going to be starting your locs?

I love that we're all starting different ways. It will be great to see how they all develop in their different forms.

mymy1219
11-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Hello anagelyc, I am going to a loctician she is going to twist my hair and use extensions on the ends. I am so excited monday cant come fast enough. I seen plenty of her work and she does wonders. I am very confident that my hair is going to look great! I will be posting before and after pictures. I really can't wait to join everyone. I hope my hair locs fast and I see its going to be a learning experience to figure out what will work with my hair. But I am up to the challange.

Queen, are you going to follow the advice about washing your hair? I haven't washed mine yet, but I rinsed them this morning, I know Cheeky has washed her with no problems though, but I've got braids and she's got twists, so I'm not sure about coils. I've been using a spritz of witch hazel and aloe vera gel to fight the itch though, and it's been working pretty well.

I love that we're all starting different ways. It will be great to see how they all develop in their different forms.

Angelyc
11-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Mymy, Have a happy locking day tomorrow!!!

I'm closing out the end of week one and I definitely think that daily rinsing is the way for me to go. My scalp isn't itching, I don't have any build up (I have a scalp condition that causes it's own buildup), and nothing has come unraveled. I've been a little scared to jump back into my swimming routine, but I've rinsed enough to feel okay. Tomorrow these babies are going into a bun and I'm going into the pool!

cheeky
11-05-2011, 12:23 AM

Me too! It'll be fun having practically the same birthday, trying different things/methods and seeing how our hair progresses.

Angelyc
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Survived my first shampoo. Went easier than I expected. Hair feels clean and light. Still not much happening on the shrinkage front. I never thought there would be a day that I would be impatient for shrinkage lol

mymy1219
11-07-2011, 05:31 AM
Mymy, Have a happy locking day tomorrow!!!

I'm closing out the end of week one and I definitely think that daily rinsing is the way for me to go. My scalp isn't itching, I don't have any build up (I have a scalp condition that causes it's own buildup), and nothing has come unraveled. I've been a little scared to jump back into my swimming routine, but I've rinsed enough to feel okay. Tomorrow these babies are going into a bun and I'm going into the pool!

yay thank you im so excited !!!!!!!!!

cheeky
11-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Okay Mymy....today was the Big Day! Can't wait to see photos.

Angelyc, that lightness after the first wash is wonderful isn't it? Hopefully the first of many, "wash n go's" to come.

Angelyc
11-08-2011, 04:56 AM
Cheeky,

I felt so happy getting out of the shower. No detangling, no products, and I could use a towel without worrying about frizz!!

mymy1219
11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
i love it posting pics now

mymy1219
11-09-2011, 12:43 AM
wow i hace to figure how to post pictures :( give me and bit and i will get everything up!

Angelyc
11-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Mymy I usually use photobucket. It's free and it gives you a direct link to copy and paste into the messageboard. But your avi looks fab!!

Dumpling
11-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Ok, I jumping on the locing train yet again. Starter locs scheduled for saturday. Can I be a virtual buddy too? :-D

Angelyc
11-09-2011, 11:45 PM
Sure Dumpling!! How are you starting your locs? Is this your 2nd time locking?

cheeky
11-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Ok, I jumping on the locing train yet again. Starter locs scheduled for saturday. Can I be a virtual buddy too? :-D

Welcome Dumpling! How will you start your locs this weekend (braids, twists, coils...)?

Mymy, if you create an album on nappturality you can post pics that way. But I can already see, your avatar looks wonderful!

mymy1219
11-10-2011, 02:24 AM
THank you guys I am creating an album on so i'm going to post the link ill have before and after pics

Angelyc
11-10-2011, 05:29 AM
Cheeky do you have any shrinkage yet? I've got a little but I expected more because of the rinsing.

Naturaldisiac
11-10-2011, 06:27 AM
I would love to participate. I just had my comb coils installed this past Saturday..this is exactly what I need. let's do this!

Dumpling
11-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks all! Well, I've loc'd before and loved them for about 3 years. That's me in my avatar back in '08. (I took my locs down.) I attempted locing again last winter and it lasted probably 2 weeks until frustration got the better of me and I BC'd. So this will be my third go at this.
They will be started via comb coils (hair is about 3 inches long). First time they were started via palm rolling.

cheeky
11-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Cheeky do you have any shrinkage yet? I've got a little but I expected more because of the rinsing.

I was surprised the first time you washed and your hair hadn't really shrunk! Mine shrank ~ 3 inches on the first wash. Since then when I wash or rinse, it's stayed the same. Suppose the next round of shrinkage will be when the hair starts loc'ing up.

cheeky
11-10-2011, 06:42 PM
I would love to participate. I just had my comb coils installed this past Saturday..this is exactly what I need. let's do this!

Alriiiight! Come right on in Naturaldisiac (love your user name)!

Angelyc
11-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I was expecting the same thing! People keep telling me they lost half their length in days... I'm about an inch shorter than I started. But my ends are now super spiraled and I can feel the curls getting a little firmer. Still doing the daily rinsing. I've definitely got some frizz going on though lol

I was surprised the first time you washed and your hair hadn't really shrunk! Mine shrank ~ 3 inches on the first wash. Since then when I wash or rinse, it's stayed the same. Suppose the next round of shrinkage will be when the hair starts loc'ing up.

cheeky
11-10-2011, 10:53 PM
I was expecting the same thing! People keep telling me they lost half their length in days... I'm about an inch shorter than I started. But my ends are now super spiraled and I can feel the curls getting a little firmer. Still doing the daily rinsing. I've definitely got some frizz going on though lol

I'm not frizzing yet. Maybe our hair knows we can *only* handle one at a time (frizz or shrinkage)..... hehe
At least we get to ease into it.

mymy1219
11-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Welcome Dumpling! How will you start your locs this weekend (braids, twists, coils...)?

Mymy, if you create an album on nappturality you can post pics that way. But I can already see, your avatar looks wonderful!

Thank you!

mymy1219
11-11-2011, 04:21 PM
http://public.fotki.com/mymy1219/before-and-after/#media

i will post more pics

netta
11-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Dumpling, this is also my 2ncd set of locs. Ladies your albums are going to be great! Take lts of pics, i lost a lot of my pics when "My photo album" website closed down unexpectedly. So I feel you can never take too many pics. BTW do you look at your locs every time you see a mirror ? Like they gonna grow right in front of you ?? Lol. Ladies shrinkage is good sign, friiz is enevitable, you need both to loc. though it may not look good to you, so don't fret. After the shrinkage you will notice a growth spurts, especially after the first year.

Dumpling
11-13-2011, 01:02 PM
OK, I got my starter locs / comb coils yesterday. I will post pics. This experience was different from my first. The loctician did not ask what size I wanted them to end up like the other did the first time. I went with pics and all because they always say the size you part them is ultimately the size they'll end up. Except for when they start getting smaller years down the line. I was worried that I'd have to intervene once I got home and make some smaller but they seem ok.

cheeky
11-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Congratulations Dumpling! It's a bit odd the loctician didn't ask about size. Mine asked and I ended up splitting them a couple days later anyways. At least you can change it, if you decide they aren't what you wanted.

Thanks for the reminder, netta. Shrinkage & frizz are part of the package. No frizz yet but I will try not to sweat it.

Today I tried a fresh rosemary & peppermint rinse. Saw a couple vids on youtube from justbabycakes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQE2nAhapJA&list=FLlynccUhoMidPHWxZrH4YRQ&feature=mh_lolz) and cupidvalentio1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUeeS4HKhXU). I planned to use an organic no sulfate clear shampoo once or twice a week but I may alternate shampoo and rosemary rinse. Saw some "response" vids of other folks who'd been using it and liked it.

Dumpling
11-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Fotki Hair Album: http://public.fotki.com/keishamaree/

Angelyc
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Dumpling your babies look fabulous! They look super soft.

Cheeky, I hadn't seen those vids, but the replies make it sound amazing. I'm going to have to look into that. I've been using just some chamomile in a spray bottle for the last 2 weeks and it's been nice.

cheeky
11-15-2011, 03:23 AM
This is a great thread for us newbies... Your Top 5 Tips for Healthy Locs (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11490).

Dumpling
11-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you!

Dumpling your babies look fabulous! They look super soft.

Cheeky, I hadn't seen those vids, but the replies make it sound amazing. I'm going to have to look into that. I've been using just some chamomile in a spray bottle for the last 2 weeks and it's been nice.

cheeky
11-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Luscious lookin' starters, Dumpling. :)

Last night I hennaed my roots/new growth. Lots and lots of rinsing. Worked out, no unraveling (I was relieved).

Dumpling
11-16-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks Cheeky.

I must report that I'm having some itchies in the back of my head and I'm only 4 days in.

Everyone's progress looks great.

cheeky
11-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Same thing happened to me Dumpling. Six days in and I *had* to wash.
Did you have coils last time you started? Hopefully you can wash 'em gently, when you get to that point.

Dumpling
11-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Last time it was palm rolled, I think because I had 15 mths worth of growth on my head. I can't recall how long it took me to wash but I do remember going to the loctician for the first retwist. I'm planning on washing with a stocking cap when the time comes.

mymy1219
11-16-2011, 11:13 PM
hi guys how is everyone doing, I've been so busy with work and school. However, my hair starting to grow out some it itches and i keep on oiling my hair. My next appointment for my hair is nov 30. I will soon post more pics up also. But how have everyone been doing. I like to hear more of youll experiences.

Angelyc
11-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Hello ladies!!

I've finally got some shrinkage going on. It's about the length of my wash and goes right now. I haven't noticed any additional frizz to what I already had, but I have noticed my braids are getting a little thicker.

On another happy note... I'm starting to love them! As you know, I wasn't really feeling them in the beginning, but now that I've had time to get used to how easy my routine is, I'm liking them more and more each day.

Naturaldisiac
11-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Hey everyone. I wasn't sure if I could join this one because I am only one week and a half into this. And late coming in with conversation....But I am here and definitely need the support. This has been tough! I don't see how people make it through this stage of growing their locs. I have worn a hat all week to hide my hair. I am one wash away from being a loose natural again but I really want locs...really really want them. My appointment to retwist is Saturday...can't wait! Also I am going to go back and read the rest of the comments to catch up. Thanks for the welcome Cheeky.....I needed this!

Angelyc
11-17-2011, 02:45 AM
Naturaldisiac,

Don't feel discouraged! My first night after I got home I was like wth did I just do. I felt like my whole scalp was just all out for public consumption. If wearing a hat makes you feel a little better, then do it. You'll get no judgement from this corner. But just think of how you'll feel once you get it twisted! :)

It's a transition... this is something I keep repeating to myself when I see frizz, or the one braid I have in the back that just won't act right. We're going to have good days and bad days. That's why we're all here, to voice our triumphs and frustrations.

Naturaldisiac
11-17-2011, 03:03 AM
Thanks Angelyc...

I have read so many people say it's a transition....I have stepped completely outside my comfort zone with this journey but Im ok. I haven't washed in almost 2 weeks. I go see my loctician on saturday and i am soooo ready. How is you journey coming along? any positive or negative feelings you would like to share?

Dumpling
11-17-2011, 03:14 PM
Welcome. I haven't reached a week yet, so I'm even newer than you. :-) It gets better, hang in there. Each day and each fuzzy wuzzy is getting you closer to where you want to be.

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure if I could join this one because I am only one week and a half into this. And late coming in with conversation....But I am here and definitely need the support. This has been tough! I don't see how people make it through this stage of growing their locs. I have worn a hat all week to hide my hair. I am one wash away from being a loose natural again but I really want locs...really really want them. My appointment to retwist is Saturday...can't wait! Also I am going to go back and read the rest of the comments to catch up. Thanks for the welcome Cheeky.....I needed this!

cheeky
11-17-2011, 04:38 PM
... How is you journey coming along? any positive or negative feelings you would like to share?

So far....

Positive: Low Maintenance. I wash/rinse & I go. No detangling, no styling (just trying to leave these babies be).

Positive: Fullness. In just 3 weeks there's no more thin anemic scalpy look. My hair has already thickened up.

Positive: Hope. Anticipation. I feel excited about starting this new "journey".

Negative: Length. My hair is so shrinky shrank shrunk. Knowing it's going to grow a little & shrink a lot for.... 6, 12, 18 months is overwhelming. (So I *try* to focus on the positives).

Negative: Feeling a bit shallow. I'm *more* sensitive about how I look now than I was when I felt I had "control" over my hair. If that makes any sense...

Positive: Everyone assumes that because I'm natural, I have this ultimate confidence. Which makes me more confident! I have a certain "loc swagger". ;)

Naturaldisiac
11-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Cheeky thanks for sharing....

I love how low maintenance it is. For me its even lower because I haven't washed in almost 2 weeks (which is crazy because I use to do it everyday) but I go to my loctician on Saturday and will get it washed.

It's not shallow at all. I am trying to wrap my mind around what is going on with me because I have a wrap on my head today. I have covered my head all week. Crazy right but I don't feel as confident as I should be. So believe me I understand. It's the mental transformation for me that is hard. I have mastered it yet but I am working on it.

Dumpling...so you are just getting started. I am almost 2 weeks and it has been some up and down emotions for sure. But I am not washing them out so it looks like I am just going to have to get use to it fast.

Angelyc
11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
At first I had more negatives than positives but I've realized that's slowly changing.

Positives: I rinse and walk about the door. I shampoo once a week and I moisturize my ends once a week. Other than that... nothing.

I'm starting to love the way my braids fall. They have shrunken some, but the way they frame my face looks nice on me.

I can clearly see how much my hair has grown in 2.5 weeks. I can even see which ones grow faster which is interesting.

The daily rinsing has my scalp feeling the best it's felt since my BC. No product build up, no scabs, no itchy spots... nada.

Negatives:The frizz! It's not too bad, but when I look in the mirror for the first time each morning I'm like "ugh". I know it will get worse before it gets better so I'm pretty much rocking braidouts. (Which is another positive my loose braidouts only lasted 2 or 3 days... I've had my current one since Sunday and it's still perfect.)

Scalp still showing! The back has filled out pretty well, I'm just waiting on the top of my head to catch on.

I have one braid in the back that at first was loose in the middle so I took it down and braided it over. Now it has shrunked to like 1/3 of my length so I'm keeping an eye on it.

But even with that, I'm loving the journey so far.

netta
11-17-2011, 08:32 PM
Well , I almost took mine babies down yesterday ! So many emotions :o{o:huh::( i am going through ! My hair is short. 3 inchs. I said I was going to wait till it got longer to loc, but I didn't cause i didn't know what to do with my TWA. So in a moment of weakness I almost changed my mind. I don't know, at least you ladies have length ! I don't like them being soft, and the top of my head is really soft and comes loose.

cheeky
11-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Glad to hear you resisted the urge of the Take Down, netta. I think Angelyc makes a great point, the positives will begin to outweigh the negatives.

Naturaldisiac
11-18-2011, 03:58 AM
Netta,

I feel you. I have about 3 inches of hair. I started short too. I have days (like today) where I wanted to take my hair down. We can be strong together. I am going to inbox you my email address so you can have instant support because I know that I need it to. Hang in there.....

Dumpling
11-18-2011, 03:35 PM
OMG Netta, I feel you. I keep mentally kicking myself for the BC after my second attempt. I had atleast 10" of hair and started with TST and they looked great even when they shrunk but when they got super tangled and unraveled is what got me. I would've been one year into this. I don't mind short hair but I HATE when they stick out. You'd think it wouldn't be so hard having been down this road before but after being "loc-free" for 2 years, I'm having to retrain my mind. Sometimes memories suck. It was easier doing this the first time around. It was so exciting. The coils are still there...hanging on for dear life. Tomorrow will be one week. I still have forever to go.

Naturaldisiac
11-19-2011, 01:56 AM
Dumpling I feel you. It's officially 2 weeks for me tomorrow and I go to the loctician for my retwist. This has been the longest 2 weeks ever...LOL I am working on me though...trying to work on my mental transformation. It's tough but I am in this for the long haul so I have to do this.

Dumpling
11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
Please share pics of the first retwist.

Dumpling I feel you. It's officially 2 weeks for me tomorrow and I go to the loctician for my retwist. This has been the longest 2 weeks ever...LOL I am working on me though...trying to work on my mental transformation. It's tough but I am in this for the long haul so I have to do this.

Naturaldisiac
11-19-2011, 09:02 PM
I MADE IT!!!!! My 1st retwist was today and my hair is looking fresh to def (old school LOL). I will post pictures.....

Angelyc
11-20-2011, 03:14 AM
Congrats Naturaldisiac!! Excited to see pics.

Early Happy 1 Month Cheeky!!

Naturaldisiac
11-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks but I think I have to a pank member to post pics. I tried yesterday but I am going to post pics to my fotki and post the link to it.

cheeky
11-20-2011, 07:14 PM
I MADE IT!!!!! My 1st retwist was today and my hair is looking fresh to def (old school LOL). I will post pictures.....

Fresh to def, nuthin' less! :)

Today is one month for me. To mark the occasion, I got my first.. "So, what *exactly* is going on with your hair?" question.

Dumpling
11-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Happy one month cheeky.
In other news, I HAD to wash today (after one week) because my scalp was a mess. I took my time and all but now I think I may have to fix them up. I can't go to work like this tomorrow.

Angelyc
11-20-2011, 09:44 PM
I'm trying to work up the confidence to wear a hair wrap to work tomorrow. The scarf looks cute and there are plenty of people from other cultures who keep their hair wrapped at my job, so I know they can't say anything about it... but I feel a little bit insecure.

Naturaldisiac
11-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Happy one month Cheeky....and many more!!!!

Dumpling---if you have to fix them do so...especially if you are going to work tomorrow.

Angelyc--I felt the same way last week. I wore a black head wrap and I told my husband that again I have step completely outside of my comfort zone. But it ended up looking real cute with my outfit. Gone rock it girl....and with confidence because you are going to look great!

Angelyc
11-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Thank you for the pep talk Naturadisiac!

I am proud to say I'm at work right now with my headwrap on. Spent a little extra time on my makeup and picking out earrings to make up for the lack of confidence at first, but now I'm all good. I'll be buying more scarves this weekend!!

cheeky
11-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Good for you, Angelyc. When I'd wear my 'fro in braids I'd normally wrap it up. Once you get past that first day when it's new & weird.... you start buying scarves all kinda colors/designs. Happy shopping!

mymy1219
11-22-2011, 04:00 AM
OK finally I added some more picture you can see my hair finally smh!

http://public.fotki.com/mymy1219/before-and-after/

Angelyc
11-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Mymy your hair looks awesome! I love your highlights.

cheeky
11-22-2011, 10:21 PM
mymy that retwist is on point too! Doesn't look scalpy, just clean. Did she palmroll the entire loc? Looks so compact, not like baby locs at all!

cheeky
11-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Happy one month cheeky.
In other news, I HAD to wash today (after one week) because my scalp was a mess. I took my time and all but now I think I may have to fix them up. I can't go to work like this tomorrow.

How'd this turn out? Did you put humpty dumpty back together again? Or just wrap it up?

I'll tell you I'm freeforming, but I should also disclose that Even If I had a special event, I wouldn't know how to palm roll my hair. I get latching but I don't wanna do that.
I've seen youtube vids but I truly don't get the 'roll...how does it work with that one smooth motion? How does it stay? A mystery.

You're a better woman than me if you're maintaining your locs in-between visits to the loctician!

Angelyc
11-23-2011, 01:09 AM
I was all set to be a latcher and now I'm seriously considering palm rolling. I've watched a video where a woman actually did both to her daughter's hair. She latched the roots, the rolled the lock to smooth the frizz.

My only problem is that I have to rinse my hair every couple of days or my scalp goes crazy and I think that would defeat the rolling.

Dumpling
11-23-2011, 04:15 AM
Cheeky it went great and I actually liked it more than when the loctician did it. I basically just used my fingers to reform the coils/twists with a little ORS lock & twist gel.
I did almost all my maintenance my last set which was mostly palm rolling so this is very familiar territory. I only plan to go to a loctician every now and then even though I love the pampering.
Here's the direct link to my fotki album update. I tie them down over night and they are perfect through out the day.

http://public.fotki.com/keishamaree/loose_natural_hair-1/locs-third-times-th/

Naturaldisiac
11-23-2011, 04:46 PM
ok everyone....

I am thinking about washing my hair out....I have been toying with the idea since yesterday. the reason is because i am not feeling all that great because my hair is short...i guess i want to be able to have hair you can see....well not loose hair...but i wish my hair was longer. I want to hang in there because when i think about having to wash, condition, etc it makes me say nevermind im not taking them down...but i do wish my hair was longer while loc'n.

Dumpling
11-23-2011, 08:10 PM
My dear, give it some time. The decision is ultimately yours but please do give your hair some time to grow and for your locs to develop. Stalk some albums and check out some inspirational loc pics. Trust me, if you hang in there, one day you'll look back at this and smile.

p.s. did you ever add pics of your retwist for us to ooh & ahh?:D Feel free to check my starters out. They're short too. Hang in there!!!:))

ok everyone....

I am thinking about washing my hair out....I have been toying with the idea since yesterday. the reason is because i am not feeling all that great because my hair is short...i guess i want to be able to have hair you can see....well not loose hair...but i wish my hair was longer. I want to hang in there because when i think about having to wash, condition, etc it makes me say nevermind im not taking them down...but i do wish my hair was longer while loc'n.

Naturaldisiac
11-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Dumpling I tried to add some photos but I couldn't. I think maybe I have to be a pank member to do so. If you know another way let me know. I have those moments....thanks for the encouragement. I definitely needed it. I am going to hang in there because I know this time next year I will look back and laugh at how LOC-polar I was during this process. I love this thread...and thanks again. I needed it.

cheeky
11-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Naturaldisiac, sounds like the length is really gettin' to you. Since you like the style and idea of locs overall, you might regret taking 'em down. Maybe give it another month? See if you become accustomed to short hair. If it still really bothers you, there are ways to have longer hair *without* ending your loc journey.

Consider extensions, just on the ends of your starter locs. That way, the added hair is easy to snip when your locs get to the length you want. There are a buncha youtube vids on how to extend the ends of your locs, but I'm sure your loctician/stylist could do it for you.

Just a thought. Mull over other options before washing 'em out.

bebedee
11-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Don't wash em out!

Focus on the convenience that loc'd hair gives you. Wake up, untie, spritz and go! The length will come and you won't even realize it until someone tells you. I promise you.....

Dumpling
11-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm not panked either. I just add them to my fotki.com album and post the link.
We all have those moments of doubt.

Dumpling I tried to add some photos but I couldn't. I think maybe I have to be a pank member to do so. If you know another way let me know. I have those moments....thanks for the encouragement. I definitely needed it. I am going to hang in there because I know this time next year I will look back and laugh at how LOC-polar I was during this process. I love this thread...and thanks again. I needed it.

queenpolite93
11-24-2011, 03:57 AM
I decided to hold off on washing until my one month was up and I just got it washed two days ago!! oh it felt so good. I think I'm going to try to keep that up for a few months if I can. I do spray water on it daily tho... i want to make sure my babe locs get moisture.

Naturaldisiac
11-24-2011, 04:34 AM
Thanks Cheeky and Bebedee for the pep talk. I am so happy I am on this thread. I"'s was feeling mighty low" (color purple moment LOL) this morning. Then to get home and read this after I had made my mind up to push through this stage was just what I needed. I don't really want the extentions because I feel like I would be cheating..LOL I am not going to take them down so no worries with that. I am just going to work on me everyday opening my eyes to accept me for who I am at this stage of my loc'n process. I appreciate each of you!!! Dumpling...oh right. I am going to just copy the link on a reply in here to my fotki so you gals can check it out. Don't know why I didn't think of that. LOL

cheeky
11-25-2011, 04:09 PM
That's what we're here for Naturaldisiac, to carry each other through the low points. And celebrate the good bits!
I don't know about you guys but personally, no one in my social circle (not even a loose acquaintance) is loc'd. I barely know any natural women. I have a couple family members with mature (7+years) locs. These early stages are a distant memory for them.

Sooo.... y'all are all I got!

queenpolite93, congrats on that first wash. Something about it....getting your hair wet never felt so good.

I posted pics in my fotki as I'm no longer Panked here. The password is my Nappturality username.

http://public.fotki.com/rakakan/

Angelyc
11-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Hope you ladies had a great holiday!

Cheeky, I've got a couple of loose natural people in my family, but no natural friends outside of them. You fab women are my only people with locs!

Yesterday I did a braidout (I cornrowed it in the exact way I did my loose hair.) It came out SO AMAZING! I didn't care about the frizz, I didn't care that my parts aren't how I had imagined... all I saw was that my hair was looking full and thick. I'm pretty sure yesterday was a huge turning point in my journey. It might not always look how I want it to, but with some effort it can look awesome. That is more than enough for me.

Also yesterday I got my first "Are you growing locs? How long have you been growing them, they look great." :D

Dumpling
11-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Just wanted to chime in on the natural/loc'd influences around me. My dad's locs are 10 yrs old. I also have 2 aunts loc'd, an uncle loc'd, a sister loc'd, another sister transitioning/pretty much all natural, stepmom's loc'd....oh geesh...there's even more too I think. LOL. Needless to say, I haven't had any negative responses to my hair....except when I cut it. :-/

On another note, when I picked up my daughter from daycare one day last week a teacher there complimented me on my starters. :-D

Naturaldisiac
11-25-2011, 06:30 PM
My hubby was loc'd about a month before me...I have a cousin that I influenced to go natural and she just bc'd about 2 weeks ago. I have an older aunt with a twa. My mom went natural but my dad didnt like it so she went back to the relaxer. But my hubby and I will be the ONLY ones with locs in my family on both sides!

cheeky
11-25-2011, 11:22 PM

Yesterday I did a braidout (I cornrowed it in the exact way I did my loose hair.) It came out SO AMAZING! I didn't care about the frizz, I didn't care that my parts aren't how I had imagined... all I saw was that my hair was looking full and thick. I'm pretty sure yesterday was a huge turning point in my journey. It might not always look how I want it to, but with some effort it can look awesome. That is more than enough for me.

Also yesterday I got my first "Are you growing locs? How long have you been growing them, they look great." :D

All of this, is Awesome. So great you can enjoy your full, thick, healthy hair! And I love that someone already noticed you are growing locs!

Dumpling, can I borrow some of your kinfolk? ;) It's great so much of your family is natural. I forgot to mention my mom is natural. She went natural way before I did. Otherwise, everyone else I know has some kinda relaxer, ultra perm, texturizer. Just happy I'm not one of 'em.

Naturaldisiac, that is very cool both you and your hubs are loc'd.

Angelyc
11-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Dumpling, I'm slightly jealous of all the natural people in your family! :-))

Naturaldisiac, that's awesome that you and your husband are going through the journey together.

Originally Posted by queenpolite93

I decided to hold off on washing until my one month was up and I just got it washed two days ago!! oh it felt so good. I think I'm going to try to keep that up for a few months if I can. I do spray water on it daily tho... i want to make sure my babe locs get moisture. I'm glad it's working out for you!

Cheeky, they still look like braids to me, but they are definitely thicker and my ends are swollen and puffy. (So of course I can't stop playing with them. lol)

Naturaldisiac
11-26-2011, 10:10 PM
Thanks Ladies...it has definitely been great having him with me especially with him starting before me. I saw his process..this itching, frizzing etc but for some reason it still didn't make it easy for me LOL but I did get to see what was ahead.