PDA

View Full Version : Oils Don't Work

alma2254
07-12-2004, 01:53 PM
HI!

For some reason, I find that any oil I use is far too heavy on my scalp and locs -it never used to feel that way but my locs don't seem to want to absorb it and my scalp just stays greasy... even with the light almond oil I used in the past.

So I like to use aloe vera instead.

I would like to know if anyone has any other ideas about what to use to keep my locs moisturised...

And does anyone else have that problem with oils?

rockinlocs
07-12-2004, 02:00 PM
dh and I use jojoba oil on our locs and to ME, it seems to be very light. I notice that when dh applies it to his, his hair always has such a healthy sheen to it and mine does too (I guess) :razz

I remember reading a long time ago that jojoba oil is closest to our own natural sebum.

ETA: But aloe is good too. I know Toy uses and loves it for her locs and a friend of mine here in MI swears by it as a moisturizer for her locs and those of her clients!

alma2254
07-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Thanks rockinlocs -I haven't tried that yet so I'll get some today and see how that works :heart

LBellatrix
07-12-2004, 02:21 PM
Alma, lately oils haven't been doing it for me so I've been using aloe vera in a spritz. It's worked a lot better.

Jojoba oil only worked for me when my (loose) hair was short BUT I may give it a try this morning after I get off of here and wash my hair. :)

aquababie19
07-12-2004, 03:08 PM
i've retwisted with aloe vera. it seemed to do the trick for me. i just keep a water bottle on hand for a little instant moisture.

Clarity36
07-12-2004, 03:22 PM
I use jojoba and rosemary on my locs. This combination is the only thing that works well for me.

Jojoba is very close to the natural hair oil. When I apply it to my locs, I have a beautiful sheen to it. It does not cause my face to break out and is very light.

I have tried coconut oil and aloe vera and had nothing but itching and dryness.

thunderstorm
07-12-2004, 03:34 PM
when you guys are using aloe, are you using gel, juice, or the substance straight from the plant?

i've tried the juice, mixed with water, and sprayed on my hair. it left it crunchy, not moisturized at all.

aquababie19
07-12-2004, 07:31 PM
i've the lily of the desert brand...either the jelly or the juice.

Simplyloc
07-12-2004, 08:22 PM
I personnaly like Coconut oil. I mix it with Jojoba and olive oils. Then i mix Aloe ver gel couple spoon. With EO as desired. fill in a bottle with 2 cups of water - It seem to work great for me! Oups do not forget 2 spoons of honey!

Here the facts on Coconut oil:

The coconut oil are identical to the fats found in sebum. Normal flora that lives on our skin and keeps it healthy will actually live on the glycerol unit of the triglycerides, creating free fatty acids identical to those found in sebum. This allows the skin to have a slightly acidic pH ideal for keeping pathogens away and keeping the skin healthy. For people with dandruff or red spots on their scalp, you just douse the scalp with coconut oil and leave it for about 20 minutes. Then shampoo. You will need to shampoo at least twice. This works better than tea tree oil shampoo from the health food store or anything else you have probably tried. If you have red spots on your skin try it there as well. If you need a little more "umph" add a drop of lemon or lavender essential oil to the coconut oil. Many people get out of the shower and reach for their little pot of coconut oil. They just dap it on and spread it all over, very lightly. A number of customers have discovered that if they do this they eventually do not have to even where deodorant.

You can find find more info here

http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/be...coconut_oil.htm (http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/benefits_of_coconut_oil.htm)

marissasensei
07-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by rockinlocs@Jul 12 2004, 06:00 AM
dh and I use jojoba oil on our locs
:offtopic

Mr. Rockinlocs started another set of locs?!

On topic: When oils aren't cutting it, I make a point to rinse and spritz more frequently. If the weather's not too dry, I'll use a little Aveda humectant pomade. Otherwise, it's just the usual spritz: 99% water, with either EOs or a dollop of the sisterlocks moisture treatment (good stuff!).

LBellatrix
07-13-2004, 02:15 PM
thunderstorm, I'm using the juice. I put equal parts of juice and water in a spritz bottle, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, and then add whatever EOs I feel like adding.

Yesterday, instead of jojoba oil, I resorted to my old post-shampoo standby, coconut oil. Nada.

I'm telling you, my locs seem to be doing the exact opposite of what my loose hair would do during this time of year. It's very frustrating but I'm hanging in there. :)

Simplyloc
07-13-2004, 02:47 PM
AnaisKarim,

:offtopic I use the Classic Ivory soap and any type of cream moisturizer afterwards (all my life).
I am allergic to anything with perfume. Ivory is 99 44/100% Pure Floating Soap contains no heavy perfumes, creams, or dyes.

Thank you.

Back to original topic... :tiptoe

alma2254
07-13-2004, 03:17 PM
thunderstorm
-I use the aloe vera gel that I buy in the health shop. Its meant to be for hands and skin, but its very soft on my locs and scalp.

LBellatrix
-I can relate, my locs no longer like the things my loose naps did.

Nice info here! I've got to give these things a go...

Keep it coming :heart