PDA

View Full Version : Eczema

Azion264
01-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi Ladies...
Does anyone know of any good home remedies for Eczema? I know that there are creams and other topical medications, but a while ago I was reading that some people's eczema could be caused by an allergic reaction to a food or something taken internally... It was a specific food but I could really remember what it was. Does anyone know anything about this? A friend of mine has Eczema and I was trying to find info for him, other than what he hears from his dermatologist. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

MyssTress
01-27-2003, 03:50 PM
Yes, I think food allergies can cause a flare up of eczema. When I eat citric acid it starts getting itchy.

I found that shea butter works really good on eczema, at least on mine.

Deej
01-27-2003, 04:30 PM
My son has had it since he was born, it's a daily battle. If I don't keep his skin moisturized it will flare up. Aveeno products seem to be very gentle. I also look a everything he eats and wait for reactions, no more than one new food item at a time so I know what did it.

He's had so many creams from the Dermatologist that have done nothing...waste of damn money. The only topical ointment that worked was one called Elocon(sp?)

Deej

vuqua1
01-27-2003, 05:48 PM
I'm currently using Eucerin lotion & creme along with Aquaphor (which is made by the same folks @ Eucerin) They help to keep my son's skin moisturized, especially during these winter months. This is his first winter and the exposure to the harsh winds and cold air has really made his skin scaly and very, very dry. They do a good enough job with two to three applications daily.

An over the counter product I have used to aleve some of the itching was cortisone cream. For an adult I guess you can use the xtra strength. It was prescribed for my baby.

good luck

tran68
01-27-2003, 06:27 PM
son has it and Eucerin is our saviour....however we have to use it every day to keep his skin moisturized.....I use Protopic on certain areas where he has flare-ups and lemons/oranges will cause a break out so we try to stay away from those....our derm prescribed Protopic when I felt the Elocon wasn't working well enough.

Sister1
01-27-2003, 08:34 PM
In regards to prescribed medications Elidel is another one for eczema. My son has several patches on his arms, legs and on his face. It really works wonders. It does not contain hydrocortisone.

I agree with everyone re: the use of products such as Eucerin, Keri Lotion. Bathing with Cetaphil might be good also. Try not have him take long, hot baths. Bubble baths are fun, but the soaps may be irritating. I am aware that some people will put in a few drops of vegtable oil in the bath water to provide a collidal effect to lubricate the skin.

NubiRubi
01-27-2003, 08:48 PM
A good home remedy for eczema, or other itchy scaly skin is oatmeal. If you take regular old quakers oatmeal and pulverize it into a powder (this can be done easily in a blender), you can add it to a bath and soak in it. It relieves itching and allows for the existing flareups to heal. The frequency of the oatmeal soaks depends on how bad the condition is, but twice a week seem standard. HTH.

KinkyCoils
01-27-2003, 10:16 PM
I went to a derm. last summer b/c all of sudden (when I had my first child) I started getting eczema. Anyway, he calls it photodermotology, which basically means I'm allergic to the sun rays. I only get eczema when I've been out in the sun too long *SUCKS* Anyway, he gave me some medication and told me to use a special sun screen SPF 60!! Whoa, right? Anyway, b4 this I use to use Aveeno Oatmeal bath and it was okay only if I stayed inside the house.

Melanizm
01-28-2003, 02:07 AM
I have mild/moderate eczema on certain areas of my body and the one and only product that has relieved me of "the itchies" is the Body Shop's Olive Body Butter, no lotion has ever provided me with better results than their body butter...I also stopped using commercial soaps (which dry my skin out making the itch worse) in turn for the body shops more natural soaps (in olive, honey, or soy)

I'm not sure of a "home remedy" but I would recommend Body Shop to anyone who suffers from eczema :)

www.thebodyshop.com

Melanizm
01-28-2003, 06:05 AM
I found a website that offers info:
www.herbalaccents.com/carrieroils.htm

Borage Seed Oil
It is a natural oil that not only restores moisture and smoothness to dry and damaged skin, but can also provide relief to people who suffer from chronic skin disorders such as eczema and atopic dermatitis.

Maybe you can look for products with this oil in it or find a recipie..good luck!

Lyvy
02-20-2003, 01:25 PM
My younger brother and sister both have Eczema. Their doctor told them:

1) Don't drink whole milk (2% is better)

2) Don't drink colored sodas (stick with stuff like Sprite, 7-UP)

3) Minimize chocolate intake

Their doctor says that doing this will help minimize their flare-ups. Hope this was helpful :idea:

Lyvy
02-20-2003, 01:26 PM
My younger brother and sister both have Eczema. Their doctor told them:

1) Don't drink whole milk (2% is better)

2) Don't drink colored sodas (stick with stuff like Sprite, 7-UP)

3) Minimize chocolate intake

Their doctor says that doing this will help minimize their flare-ups. Hope this was helpful :idea:

I'm sure it's different 4 everyone so I think U should also consult your doctor. Maybe they could also offer some insight.

BlackOnyx03
02-20-2003, 06:49 PM
I used to get flare-ups from drinking milk. Cut out the dairy and you may see some improvement.

MY OTC remedy was this white creme......(can't think of name right now...I'll post it back when it comes to me)

ETA --- Elocon and it works, too!

Wendy
02-20-2003, 07:14 PM
What exzema does it look like? My son has been developing what looks like very dry, almost scaly skin across his forehead. I've tried keeping him well lotioned but nothing seems to work. Now it seems to be spreading down the sideburn area so I'm making him a doc's appointment for next week. It doesn't seem to itch or bother him in any way it just looks like he's in desperate need of lotion (which doesn't work.)